TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
nyctwc

Roamio Wifi Setup Problem

Is anyone having problems connecting their Roamio via Wifi? I'm using the current (6th Generation) Apple Airport Extreme router. After a lot of fooling around, the only way I was able to connect via Wifi was to:

1. Turn off MAC filtering (called Timed Access Control in Apple's Airport Utility). I'm certain I typed the MAC address correctly as shown on the Tivo screen, and I have 9 other devices that connect with no problems.

2. Plug in a hardwired Ethernet cable first, before choosing "Connect Using Wireless." It doesn't make any sense to have to do this for a wireless setup. Even after doing this, the "Network Connection" screen doesn't refresh to show a wireless connection. You have to go to the "Network Diagnostics" screen and come back to it.

If I undo either of those two steps and try connecting again via wireless, I get a "Wireless Network Problem" screen, error code (N06). There are some troubleshooting tips on that screen, and then it says "For more info, visit tiro.com/help/N06," which brings you to a web page that says "Internal Server Error."

I called up Tivo Support, and the representative didn't know about this issue and wasn't very helpful.
nyctwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
donsullivan

I had similar issues with my base unit with an Apple Time Capsule (Dual Band Version) as my wireless base station.

I ended up taking the TiVo into another room and completed the full setup including software updates on a wired connection. After it was all done, I changed the network connection to WiFi and now it's working fine.

I can't confirm but it seems that the software on the box from the factory has some sort of issue with WPA2 encryption and an update that got pushed down during the initial startup seems to have resolved it.

I've been streaming content from Hulu, NetFlix and the like without issue since Friday with WiFi connection only.
donsullivan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
nyctwc

I have the latest version of the Tivo software (20.3.6-USA-6-840) and I still have the problem. I would appreciate it if someone else can confirm this same problem on their Roamio.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I had an issue with my Roamio (N06) until I changed the channel on my wireless router.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:29 AM   #5
nyctwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
I had an issue with my Roamio (N06) until I changed the channel on my wireless router.
Do you have MAC filtering turned on?
Old 08-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctwc View Post
Do you have MAC filtering turned on?
I do not.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
Kobe_No_Means_No

I also have the new 6th-gen Airport Extreme. I set up my Roamio Plus without a hitch.

Mac-filtering off, WPA2, 802.11ac dual-band on, guest-network on, airport extreme functions as router (rather than bridge), it is the only router (no extenders/repeaters), latest firmware.
Kobe_No_Means_No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
nyctwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe_No_Means_No View Post
I also have the new 6th-gen Airport Extreme. I set up my Roamio Plus without a hitch.

Mac-filtering off, WPA2, 802.11ac dual-band on, guest-network on, airport extreme functions as router (rather than bridge), it is the only router (no extenders/repeaters), latest firmware.
Did you have an Ethernet cable plugged in when you went through guided setup?
Old 08-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
Kobe_No_Means_No

Quote:
Did you have an Ethernet cable plugged in when you went through guided setup?
No I didn't. It was able to find the wifi SSID and log on. Everything went as it should.
Kobe_No_Means_No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
mwenn1

I am having trouble with my Roamio pro connection as well. It will connect after multiple attempts, but then drops the connection multiple time throughout the day. I have to reboot the tivo, and try multiple times to get it to connect again. Even when connected it shows the broadcast channel as 0 even though I am broadcasting on channel 11. The XL I have connects with no problem, shows correct channel and everything.
mwenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #11
nyctwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe_No_Means_No View Post
No I didn't. It was able to find the wifi SSID and log on. Everything went as it should.
Mine won't connect unless the Ethernet cable is plugged in when I log in. Are you using an Apple router?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #12
Kolenka

Quote:
Mine won't connect unless the Ethernet cable is plugged in when I log in. Are you using an Apple router?
He's using the latest Apple router, the tall one with 802.11ac and is kinda goofy looking, as am I. I'll see if I have any problems this evening when I hook up my Plus (finally arrived using TiVo's free ground shipping). I can at least test to see if there are problems.

Out of curiosity, how is the network configured when it comes to 2.4Ghz/5Ghz use? I wonder if it might be related to which band it is trying to connect to.

EDIT: Was able to complete setup just fine with an Airport Extreme 'ac' model over Wifi (hated entering my WPA2 passcode though). Had to re-connect after that, but it worked again there.

Last edited by Kolenka : 08-26-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #13
tivogurl

I'm getting a different kind of wifi setup problem. TiVo's password input screen only allows alphanumeric characters. I choose better passwords than that, so my wifi WPA2 password has many non-alphanumeric characters. Ergo, I cannot setup wifi on my Roamio.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #14
Kolenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
I'm getting a different kind of wifi setup problem. TiVo's password input screen only allows alphanumeric characters. I choose better passwords than that, so my wifi WPA2 password has many non-alphanumeric characters. Ergo, I cannot setup wifi on my Roamio.
Try the "SYM" button in the software keyboard. That will bring up the symbol selection screen. My password uses symbols in it as well, and I had no problem setting it up.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:26 AM   #15
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Try the "SYM" button in the software keyboard. That will bring up the symbol selection screen. My password uses symbols in it as well, and I had no problem setting it up.
Thanks! That worked great.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #16
oh4real

My roamio threw an N02 network error. Part of recommendation was to restart my Netgear router (despite older Tivo and 6 other devices were using just fine), which i righteously declined to do. Tried a couple dozen times.

When I logged into my router to verify password and WPA encryption settings, I saw a "firmware update available button" and, since I'm two floors away, executed it with a reboot I knew it would do.

Then I tried Roamio again and it worked flawlessly.

Don't know if it was the firmware update or the reboot, but I might try the "impractical" reboot first next time.
oh4real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:09 AM   #17
Rkkeller

I had a problem too last night with a basic Xfinity router. I don't know what I did to fix it but after I lowered the firewall on it to low, it worked.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #18
nyctwc

I spoke to Level 2 Tivo support and was told the problem with MAC filtering is a known issue and is being worked on.

Regarding my second problem (see first post above), I seem to be the only person reporting this problem so far.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #19
RSCHOON

I was having this same exact issue and was never able to resolve it. I just started using ethernet instead. The issue is that I had to unplug the ethernet from my XBox, so not sure what I am going to do long term. I needed to go ethernet anyway since I am setting my Roamio up as my MoCa bridge to connect my TiVo Mini upstairs.
RSCHOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #20
MadPB

5G channels matter

I've been tinkering around with a DD-WRT firmware on my wifi router, which supports all of the North America 5GHz channels. Mostly, I was testing the signal strength of different channels on the router from my laptop, running a wifi analyzer.

What I found was that the 100-116 range of channels gave me really good signal strength, high signal-noise-ratio (SNR) which was mostly due to low noise, as opposed to really being that much stronger of a signal. Makes sense: I left the transmit power the same, at 40mW on my Netgear R6300.

So, I happily set it to channel 108+110 (40MHz setting, to use 2 different bonded channels). It was working GREAT on my laptop with an Intel wlan card.

However... I then try using my Roku XDS which is dual-band, and that doesn't work. And then I tried connecting with the Tivo Roamio Plus, which is also dual-band, and was working on 5G with my old settings of channel 161, but then it didn't want to connect either.

Weird thing about the Tivo, it could see the SSID of my 5G wifi, but it couldn't connect... that's odd.

Turns out, not all client devices for 5G will support certain channels, specifically the ones that require "dynamic frequency selection". Those are channels 52-64, 100-116, and 132-140. What it really means is that out of all the lovely 5GHz channels that are available, apparently these half-breed "5G" devices can only use channels 36, 40, 44, 48 and then the 149, 153, 157, 161 and maybe 165, although I didn't check the Tivo with 165.

The lower channels in the 5G band are more susceptible to noise, so you're likely to see slightly worse speeds. The higher channels are less noisy, but have a shorter range. If you can get a good signal, the higher channels are probably a good bet.

Plus you have to make sure you use some software like inSSIDer which is a nice little wifi analyzer... it scans for other wifi routers in your area and what channels they're on, so you can pick the best one. If you run it from a system with dual band (2.4 and 5 GHz), you can see both of those ranges.

When I was testing, using channel 149 I was able to actually transfer a large file at 139.5 Mbps. On channel 108 it bumped up to 141.5 Mbps, so it's really not a huge difference, but still pretty nice.

Now I just wish Tivo would let me setup a Moca network as long as I have a really nice 5G connection like that. 2.4GHz is such a noisy band, I guess I don't blame them for not supporting streaming over that, but c'mon, a good 5G network is faster than 100M ethernet at any rate, and Moca 1.1 itself is only rated to 175 Mbps. Right now, my dd-wrt status screen is saying the Tivo is connected to my router at a 300 Mbps signaling rate, so yeah...

Anyway, my point, which I've wandered off from, is that if using 5G channels to hook up your Tivo, be sure and use channels that in those "safe" ranges. If you let your router auto-select the channel, who knows what it'll pick, so you're probably better off manually picking one of the channels in those non-DFS ranges.
MadPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #21
AAinCal

Quote:
I spoke to Level 2 Tivo support and was told the problem with MAC filtering is a known issue and is being worked on.

Regarding my second problem (see first post above), I seem to be the only person reporting this problem so far.
I was having exactly the same problem: The only way to setup a wifi connection was to have an active ethernet connection while setting up wifi. Then the wifi would remain active (at least for a while) after the ethernet cable was unplugged.

This was happening with an Asus RT-N56U router. The issue was not 2.4 GHz vs. 5 GHz as someone else was experiencing, because I had the router configured with different SSIDs for each and tried both with the same results. I had no trouble with nearly a dozen other networked devices in the house.

Recently my router started to fail and I replaced it with a Netgear R7000. The TiVo (and every other device) connected on the first attempt at and has remained stable since. I've tried 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. I've rebooted both the router and the TiVo multiple times, and I've configured and reconfigured wifi on the TiVo at least 5 times. The TiVo connect immediately every time and stays connected.

FYI, I'm using the same SSIDs and WPA2 passwords as on the old router. I didn't have MAC address filtering, firewalled ports or anything even a little exotic on either router. It seems as if there was some incompatibility or out of the box configuration mismatch between the Asus and TiVo that I never figured out. I would have been interested in exploring the issue a little more now that I have a TiVo setup that I know works. However, the Asus is toast, so I guess my particular case is going to remain a mystery to me.
AAinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #22
ltxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSCHOON View Post
I was having this same exact issue and was never able to resolve it. I just started using ethernet instead. The issue is that I had to unplug the ethernet from my XBox, so not sure what I am going to do long term. I needed to go ethernet anyway since I am setting my Roamio up as my MoCa bridge to connect my TiVo Mini upstairs.
Get an ethernet switch as a PoP, port expander. Good 4-ports available from Netgear for $40 retail.

Last edited by ltxi : 12-24-2013 at 05:57 PM.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #23
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAinCal View Post
I was having exactly the same problem: The only way to setup a wifi connection was to have an active ethernet connection while setting up wifi. Then the wifi would remain active (at least for a while) after the ethernet cable was unplugged.

This was happening with an Asus RT-N56U router. The issue was not 2.4 GHz vs. 5 GHz as someone else was experiencing, because I had the router configured with different SSIDs for each and tried both with the same results. I had no trouble with nearly a dozen other networked devices in the house.

Recently my router started to fail and I replaced it with a Netgear R7000. The TiVo (and every other device) connected on the first attempt at and has remained stable since. I've tried 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. I've rebooted both the router and the TiVo multiple times, and I've configured and reconfigured wifi on the TiVo at least 5 times. The TiVo connect immediately every time and stays connected.

FYI, I'm using the same SSIDs and WPA2 passwords as on the old router. I didn't have MAC address filtering, firewalled ports or anything even a little exotic on either router. It seems as if there was some incompatibility or out of the box configuration mismatch between the Asus and TiVo that I never figured out. I would have been interested in exploring the issue a little more now that I have a TiVo setup that I know works. However, the Asus is toast, so I guess my particular case is going to remain a mystery to me.
I use a couple of RT-N56U routers(one strictly as an AP and one as my main router also as an AP). My Roamios have worked without issue with them. No need for a wired connection for wireless setup. Although I did have a problem when I needed to setup a third Ap and used one of my DLink DAp-1522 APs. The Roamio connected but it would drop off of it with too much traffic. SO I just needed to make sure it only connected to my RT-N56U APs.

I'm thinking about picking up a third RT-N56U to replace the DLink. The DLinks worked great for me for many years but it can only handle so much traffic. And with a dozen IP cameras and other WiFi devices I have a constant barrage of network traffic over WiFi 24/7/365.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #24
tivogurl

My Roamio works perfectly with my Airport Extreme and I never used a wired connection. The only thing I didn't like is the Roamio's lack of WPS, as it's a pain to enter a long WiFi password on a TiVo.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #25
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
My Roamio works perfectly with my Airport Extreme and I never used a wired connection. The only thing I didn't like is the Roamio's lack of WPS, as it's a pain to enter a long WiFi password on a TiVo.
You just need to use a Slide remote with the keyboard. But I also only use 12 to 15 characters for my WiFi passwords. I don't mess with anything longer. And I avoid WPS like the plague. I've always wanted to do all of that manually with my dozens of WiFi devices.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:04 AM   #26
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
And I avoid WPS like the plague. I've always wanted to do all of that manually with my dozens of WiFi devices.
I think my wifi password is 64 characters. Since I only enable WPS for just long enough to accept one device, there's no real security risk, but it greatly improves usability.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #27
AAinCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I use a couple of RT-N56U routers(one strictly as an AP and one as my main router also as an AP). My Roamios have worked without issue with them. No need for a wired connection for wireless setup. Although I did have a problem when I needed to setup a third Ap and used one of my DLink DAp-1522 APs. The Roamio connected but it would drop off of it with too much traffic. SO I just needed to make sure it only connected to my RT-N56U APs.

I'm thinking about picking up a third RT-N56U to replace the DLink. The DLinks worked great for me for many years but it can only handle so much traffic. And with a dozen IP cameras and other WiFi devices I have a constant barrage of network traffic over WiFi 24/7/365.
This is interesting. I did update the firmware on the router just days before installing my Roamio. I Wonder if that contributed. Otherwise, I have no idea.
AAinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #28
Cutie1277

2 Mac Addresses on Tivo Roamio

If you hook your Tivo Roamio via Ethernet, on your router you might notice that your tivo is using not 1 but "2" mac address ID's from your tivo and 2 IP Addressses, this may be why there is a complication with setting this up wirelessly because naturally in the router you can only use 1 IP address at a time per device so this is very strange, even stumped Tivo Support.. There are multiple ( total of 3 ) Mac addresses on the back of the Tivo Roamio on mine atleast..

Last edited by Cutie1277 : 01-01-2014 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Adding to
Cutie1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #29
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutie1277 View Post
If you hook your Tivo Roamio via Ethernet, on your router you might notice that your tivo is using not 1 but "2" mac address ID's from your tivo and 2 IP Addressses, this may be why there is a complication with setting this up wirelessly because naturally in the router you can only use 1 IP address at a time per device so this is very strange, even stumped Tivo Support.. There are multiple ( total of 3 ) Mac addresses on the back of the Tivo Roamio on mine atleast..
The Roamio Pro/Plus keeps 2 active connections (one for stream purposes). So there are MAC addresses for ethernet, wireless, and Stream functionality.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #30
Jets

FWIW, I have an Asus RT-N56u and also cannot connect to tivo service with my Roamio. My premiere works fine and always has. The roamio will only connect to tivo if I hook it directly into my cable modem bypassing both the Asus and an ATT 3g Microcell.
Still working on it....
Jets is offline   Reply With Quote