TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
y2jdmbfan

Bought Roamio Pro...Keep Premiere for Bedroom or Go With a Mini?

Guys,

I've just purchased a Roamio Pro with Lifetime to replace my TiVo Elite / Premiere XL 4 w/ Lifetime in my basement, my main TV watching area. I have a Premiere XL with Lifetime that my wife uses in the living room and then a Premiere with Lifetime in the bedroom, which we don't have any season passes on. We don't watch a whole lot of TV in the bedroom unless we are sick in bed or watching an occasional single show at night before bed. I was thinking I could go with the Mini in the bedroom so I can have a newer interface and have all the recordings centralized on the Roamio Pro. I plan on selling the Premiere XL 4 for sure. Already up on Ebay. The Premiere XL gets my wife's trashy reality shows...LOL...Has anyone gone this route and regretted it? Do you miss the dual live buffers?

Thanks,

Y2J
y2jdmbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
series5orpremier

Can't a Premiere do everything a Mini can plus has it's own tuners and local storage? Why spend more on a Mini to replace a superior product that's already paid for?
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by series5orpremier View Post
Can't a Premiere do everything a Mini can plus has it's own tuners and local storage? Why spend more on a Mini to replace a superior product that's already paid for?
For me I didn't want to listen to the hum of the hard drive/fan of the Premiere. Plus, it uses more power than a Mini and is slower.

I plan on selling my Premiere.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
buscuitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by series5orpremier View Post
I think the main difference is there is no need for an addition expense (of a cable card) if you have a mini. This and the centralized storage idea (where everything is managed from one main DVR location) are the main two benefits of a TiVo mini that I can see.

I think it also depends on what you are being charged by your cable company for a cable card. I have Comcast and while I have heard a lot of people being charged about $8/month for each additional cable card, I am only getting charged (for now) $1.50/month for each extra cable card I have (total of 5). I heard other companies (FIOS, Charter, etc.) usually charge about $3-4/month for each cable card.

I have considered maybe going with a mini setup of some kind. However, my additional cable cards are currently in TiVos that aren't used frequently (guest bedroom and basement rec area). Therefore, they are essentially just basic cable boxes & I just prefer to stick with these charges for now instead of coughing up $100 for each tivo mini (and either $5/month or another $150 each for lifetime service). It would essentially take a LONG time for me to get to a break even point and recoup with a lifetimed mini. Just my personal situation, but everyone's is different.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 08-26-2013 at 12:14 PM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
y2jdmbfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I think the main difference is there is no need for an addition expense (of a cable card) if you have a mini. This and the centralized storage idea (where everything is managed from one main DVR location) are the main two benefits of a TiVo mini that I can see.

I think it also depends on what you are being charged by your cable company for a cable card. I have Comcast and while I have heard a lot of people being charged about $8/month for each additional cable card, I am only getting charged (for now) $1.50/month for each extra cable card I have (total of 5). I heard other companies (FIOS, Charter, etc.) usually charge about $3-4/month for each cable card.

I have considered maybe going with a mini setup of some kind. However, my additional cable cards are currently in TiVos that aren't used frequently (guest bedroom and basement rec area). Therefore, they are essentially just basic cable boxes & I just prefer to stick with these charges for now instead of coughing up $100 for each tivo mini (and either $5/month or another $150 each for lifetime service). It would essentially take a LONG time for me to get to a break even point and recoup with a lifetimed mini. Just my personal situation, but everyone's is different.
My cable cards are 9.95 each for the 2nd and 3rd cards, 1st one is free. Comcast in Chicago Suburbs.
y2jdmbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
buscuitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jdmbfan View Post
My cable cards are 9.95 each for the 2nd and 3rd cards, 1st one is free. Comcast in Chicago Suburbs.

Yea, I realize I am REALLY lucky with what Comcast is currently charging me for my cable cards, but as the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". So, I am just gonna stay with it this way for now.

I guess it also depends on what your cable company charges for their OWN box/equipment. I have heard some people paying about $15-20/month for each additional cable company box. This is where a TiVO mini might come in handy and be more beneficial too.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote