Originally Posted by macfactor
My very first Tivo, a Roamio Plus, will be delivered today. I am crazy excited, wanted one for a long, long time.
I have read some things here about TW but most of it seems to be very old and I have not had good luck with TW in the past. As a matter of fact just trying to get what I need for the Tivo from them has been a challenge. I called to order what I needed and they said all I need is a cable card. Having read about the SDV Tuning Adapter I thought that can't be right so after a quick post and some great responses I finally got a hold of cable card support and they got me the Tuning Adapter. This leaves me worried, very worried.
What else do I need to know about setup with TW Dallas? Is the Tivo stable on TW or is it a constant struggle?
Thanks for the help.
As someone in Dallas who just earlier this month pulled two cable cards out and boxed up the respective tuning adapters. I can answer questions based on my own 19 month experience with TWC in Dallas.
1) Yes, TWC flags most everything copy once exceptions IFC HD, some HBO and when not outright blocked some SHOWTIME content and a few; very few other channels. I went through a lot of hell getting them to lift those blocks on rebroadcast of local content. During the Olympics the 3D content (Side-by-Side) was 90 minute copy protected you had to watch it within 90 minutes of broadcast. They claim a TiVo can not do 3D which is BS, my Premiere handled it just fine! Not that it matters they have no 3D content.
2) In the 19 months I had 6 tuning adapters either fail or were DOA! Never successfully paired a TiVo cable card and tuning adapter without a truck roll, they love to roll trucks!
3) The tuning adapters frequently lose the sync signal from TWC resulting in tuning fail and scheduled recordings not happening.
4) Be prepared for TWC to blame the TiVo for everything wrong! Contact TiVo cable card help desk and get educated by TiVo you'll need their knowledge to circumvent TWC flagrant attempts to take you down useless rabbit holes.
5) In addition to blocking CBS 11 they are also blocking Flix, Showtime and Smithsonian. The later (Smithsonian) they charge extra for and offered no credit. (Last straw for me)
It took 7 months for them to get the first tuning adapter working and somewhat stable, after three failed tuning adapter devices a new home run from the box on the ground to exterior wall, many trips because of an unstable signal! Average a truck roll every 2-1/2 to 4 weeks!
I waited two more months before I dared try adding the second TiVo with cable card. Tuning adapter sent with self install kit was DOA. Truck rolled with another DOA tuning adapter. I demanded they deliver another same day or I was canceling everything; another DOA tuning adapter arrived the third one worked.
Expect a rough and frustrating time with TWC, tuning adapters. One Tech the first tuning adapter that was failing belittled my brand NEW TiVo because it required a tuning adapter to work on their network. A few Dallas TWC techs are very condescending and rude, most are nice though!
Be prepared for a possible nightmare situation; never receiving warnings of planed service interruptions and having to formally request credits for those! Oh and credits for service interruptions because of their failed equipment is also a formal request situation.