TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #31
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force
 
dianebrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: boston'ish
Posts: 7,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
I just started watching this - I like it! I've just watched two episodes (I started last night after Breaking Bad) but I'm hooked
Get ready for one heck of a ride though the season!
It was the high light show of my spring/summer
__________________
"There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."
dianebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #32
wprager
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,868
I just wish it wasn't filmed in Toronto. They seem to do great in Vancouver, but Toronto productions -- I can spot them a mile away. The music and sound are awful (I couldn't get subtitles that were synched properly to the video, and half the time the music -- if you could call it that -- was too loud to properly hear the dialogue). I don't see that from Vancouver productions.
wprager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #33
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
I just wish it wasn't filmed in Toronto. They seem to do great in Vancouver, but Toronto productions -- I can spot them a mile away. The music and sound are awful (I couldn't get subtitles that were synched properly to the video, and half the time the music -- if you could call it that -- was too loud to properly hear the dialogue). I don't see that from Vancouver productions.
But at least in this case, they aren't hiding the fact that it's in Toronto. So I'm ok with it.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #34
wprager
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
But at least in this case, they aren't hiding the fact that it's in Toronto. So I'm ok with it.
My beef is with the production quality, especially the audio. Back about 20-30 years ago you could always tell the difference between USA and Canadian produced movies -- the dialogue was just, off. Can't really explain it, but it's like the Canadian ones the dialogue was dubbed in later, recording the actors in a studio. The lip movement was in synch, the problem was something else.

Since then I guess the industry has caught up, but I still find Toronto-produced shows (and movies, I suppose, but I watch very few of those) easy to spot. Vancouver has done a great job of reproducing Hollywood quality (yes, Hollywood quality is fantastic on the tech side of things, even if not always on the artsy side); Toronto has a ways to go.
wprager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #35
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
My beef is with the production quality, especially the audio. Back about 20-30 years ago you could always tell the difference between USA and Canadian produced movies -- the dialogue was just, off. Can't really explain it, but it's like the Canadian ones the dialogue was dubbed in later, recording the actors in a studio. The lip movement was in synch, the problem was something else.

Since then I guess the industry has caught up, but I still find Toronto-produced shows (and movies, I suppose, but I watch very few of those) easy to spot. Vancouver has done a great job of reproducing Hollywood quality (yes, Hollywood quality is fantastic on the tech side of things, even if not always on the artsy side); Toronto has a ways to go.
Ahhh, I see what you are saying. I never noticed any difference. I only used to notice when they pretended it to be somewhere else. I watch Rookie Blue which also takes place in T.O. and for awhile they avoided all references to the show taking place there. But they haven't done that over the last couple of seasons. The production on that show seems the same as any other police drama.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #36
trainman
Nice to see you
 
trainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA, USA
Posts: 9,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
...I couldn't get subtitles that were synched properly to the video...
You mean closed captions? That's something that has absolutely nothing to do with where the show itself is produced.

In fact, whether a show is produced in Toronto or Vancouver (or anywhere else in the world), if it's airing on an American network, the captions are almost always done in the U.S.
__________________
trainman is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #37
astrohip
Stuart F
 
astrohip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston & Brenham TX
Posts: 7,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
(I couldn't get subtitles that were synched properly to the video
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
You mean closed captions? That's something that has absolutely nothing to do with where the show itself is produced.
If he does mean captions, they were perfect. I am very sensitive to poorly timed captions. I've been known to stop watching a show because the captions pissed me off (I'm looking at you Walking Dead). Orphan Black was perfect, no issues.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #38
wprager
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,868
No, I meant subtitles -- the .srt file that you usually must get separately when watching via magical means.
wprager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #39
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 30,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
No, I meant subtitles -- the .srt file that you usually must get separately when watching via magical means.
What on Earth does that have to do with where the show is shot?!?
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #40
Sparty99
Registered User
 
Sparty99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ferndale, MI
Posts: 17,749
Did a marathon viewing of the first season last weekend - I liked it a lot. The actress is amazing. If you forget they're clones (which isn't hard to do) it's also very easy to forget that it's the same actress playing a ton of different roles.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #41
wprager
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
What on Earth does that have to do with where the show is shot?!?

The bad audio (dialogue obscured by the music score, which is pretty bad anyway) made it nearly impossible for me to understand what was going on.
wprager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #42
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
Did a marathon viewing of the first season last weekend - I liked it a lot. The actress is amazing. If you forget they're clones (which isn't hard to do) it's also very easy to forget that it's the same actress playing a ton of different roles.
That's the consensus here. A lot of us were upset she got passed over for an Emmy nomination.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #43
AeneaGames
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
The bad audio (dialogue obscured by the music score, which is pretty bad anyway) made it nearly impossible for me to understand what was going on.
I don't really have that problem with Orphan Black at all, I have noticed that turning the bass way down helps a lot in general with this type of thing.
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #44
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 30,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeneaGames View Post
I don't really have that problem with Orphan Black at all, I have noticed that turning the bass way down helps a lot in general with this type of thing.
Neither have I.

I wonder if the problem is psychosomatic? He sees the CN Tower, and instantly has trouble understanding dialogue.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #45
AeneaGames
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Neither have I.

I wonder if the problem is psychosomatic? He sees the CN Tower, and instantly has trouble understanding dialogue.
Maybe because he's Canadian he just automatically assumes it has to be worse than when it's not filmed in Canada? A grass is greener type of thing?

(yes, yes, I am now skipping the Vancouver part! )
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #46
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 30,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeneaGames View Post
Maybe because he's Canadian he just automatically assumes it has to be worse than when it's not filmed in Canada? A grass is greener type of thing?

(yes, yes, I am now skipping the Vancouver part! )
Isn't Vancouver basically just a spatially-disjointed suburb of LA?
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #47
wprager
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeneaGames View Post
Maybe because he's Canadian he just automatically assumes it has to be worse than when it's not filmed in Canada? A grass is greener type of thing?

(yes, yes, I am now skipping the Vancouver part! )

Yes, I'm allowed to say it. It generally is. Even though Canada supplies Hollywood with a lot of on-camera talent, the production quality is generally better in the US.
wprager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #48
wprager
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Isn't Vancouver basically just a spatially-disjointed suburb of LA?
Vancouver is a beautiful place, but the people there are something else.
wprager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #49
Craigbob
Registered User
 
Craigbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Land of Fruits, Nuts and Flakes, So. Cal
Posts: 886
I'm catching up on the season this past week and this weekend. An Amazing show IMO. I think she looks best as Cosima (or maybe I just have a thing for chicks in glasses).

Lots of interesting goings on and I can't wait to finish an ep and go on to the next.
__________________
"This Space for Rent"
Craigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #50
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon
 
Hunter Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: People's Republic of Vermont
Posts: 2,922
There's a lot of us who find Cosima the most attractive. Glasses, sure. She's also got that smart thing going on. And she's a bit of a geek, which has an appeal to other geeks. Perhaps the most subtle but important aspect is that Cosima has an enthusiasm to her that the other clones tend to lack. Sarah's always in conflict, Alison is struggling with being wound tight, Helena's just broken, etc., but Cosima seems like she could be fun to be around. And while we might not realize that's a big factor, I bet it's one of the biggest.
__________________
former owner of a Series 2 Tivo, lifetime subscription, 233 hours, now sold
Hunter Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #51
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 30,840
Plus she lives in Minneapolis, which gives me hope.

And then reality comes crashing through the door, but I've managed to keep it at bay so far.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #52
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,825
I always like Allison. Maybe because she's the housewife in the suburbs and that relates more to the women I know.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #53
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 30,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I always like Allison. Maybe because she's the housewife in the suburbs and that relates more to the women I know.
But she's crazy.

And not the good kind.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #54
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
But she's crazy.

And not the good kind.
But she sure looks great in Yoga pants That might even trump crazy!
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #55
trainman
Nice to see you
 
trainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA, USA
Posts: 9,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
But she sure looks great in Yoga pants That might even trump crazy!
But if you could get Cosima into yoga pants, she'd look just as good.
__________________
trainman is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #56
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User
 
tivoboyjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,233
I've just finished watching season one - loved it!

My rankings of the ladies in order of hotness. I'll add a spoiler tag since I list them all:

Spoiler:
Cosima: She was the sexiest, maybe just because she smiled the most.
Sarah (and Sarah as Beth): hot, but too on edge all the time
Alison: looks good in the yoga pants but too uptight
Rachel: nice for a corporate drone
Katja: put Cosima in the red hair and you've got something. Katja didn't do it for me.
Helena: didn't seem human. Not hot.

tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #57
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
But if you could get Cosima into yoga pants, she'd look just as good.
My problem with Cosma...nose ring. I just can't get past it.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #58
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User
 
tivoboyjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
My problem with Cosma...nose ring. I just can't get past it.
Not my favorite thing, either. But I can work around it.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #59
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 30,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
But if you could get Cosima into yoga pants, she'd look just as good.
Nah, the actress who plays Cosima is much prettier.


__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #60
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,551
Bump...

Orphan Black season 1 encore

http://www.bbcamerica.com/orphan-bla...ason-1-encore/

Quote:
Miss "Orphan Black" the first time around? Here's your chance to watch this year's most talked about performance. Watch Tatiana Maslany in a Season 1 encore, Saturdays starting September 14 at 10/9c, only on BBC America.
Season 2 returns April 2014.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |