TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-29-2009, 05:32 AM   #271
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob View Post
We should consider emailing Tivo or Amazon to see if they can do anything about the online features.
I don't want to be pessimistic, but since Puerto Rico's exclusion is in their "Terms & Conditions" I don't think emails would make a difference unless Amazon (for example) opens their service internationally or Puerto Rico becomes a US State.

I just don't see that happening in the near future... unless you know a US Congressman from Puerto Rico willing to help us out... That would be great!
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

crabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #272
alansh

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabell View Post
I just don't see that happening in the near future... unless you know a US Congressman from Puerto Rico willing to help us out... That would be great!
Good luck on that...
Quote:
Puerto Rico has one resident commissioner (with voice, but no vote) in the Congress of United States. There are no electoral votes for Puerto Rico in the U.S. presidential elections.

alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:32 AM   #273
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybob View Post
We should consider emailing Tivo or Amazon to see if they can do anything about the online features.
I'm not sure if you are aware that I've found a way to get the Broadband Features working in Puerto Rico... Here's the thread, just in case.
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 12-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #274
nirakara

CableCARD Cost?

Hi there, I just called onelink up and it seems like the prices for the cards have gone up considerably. Can anyone here verify for me that now if you have two services the card costs $18, and with three $13?

And thanks to everyone that put this thread together, its been really useful!
nirakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #275
crabell

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirakara View Post
Hi there, I just called onelink up and it seems like the prices for the cards have gone up considerably. Can anyone here verify for me that now if you have two services the card costs $18, and with three $13?

And thanks to everyone that put this thread together, its been really useful!
If you look at post #245 you'll see that the actual Cable Card is only $1.75, what increases the price is the "Digital Access", which you need for all channels 100+ and "HD Access", which you'll need for HD Channels.

If you just have Cable Service with Onlink, the cost for the first Cable Card should be $24.25, $19.25 if you have two services and $14.25 if you have all three services (Cable, Internet & Telephone).

The price for a secod or third Cable Card drops as noted on post #245. It is important that you request a Multi-Stream Cable Card in order to get both tuners to work.

I believe that the prices they gave you included the Digital & HD Access, you should ask them specifically, just to make sure.

I hope this helps and good luck dealing with Onelink, remember that patience is a virtue...
TiVo HD (1 TB) & M-Card

Old 02-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #276
lbadillo

Saludos... que pasará ahora con los Tivos? sabiendo q OL requerirá cajas digitales hasta para el cable básico. Yo tengo 2 tivos con cable básico stock sin cable cards...??? alguién sabe?

Gracias
lbadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #277
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbadillo View Post
Greetings ... what happens now with the Tivos? knowing I will require digital boxes for even basic cable. I have 2 TiVos with stock basic cable without cable cards ...??? someone knows?

Thanks
FYP.

If you have a Series 3 or newer TiVo it requires a cable card to work with digital cable. It might work with plain analog cable. Older TiVos will control a digital box without needing a cable card.

Si usted tiene una serie de tres o más nuevo TiVo se requiere una cable card para trabajar con el cable digital. Puede trabajar con cable analógico normal. TiVo mayores controlará una caja digital sin necesidad de una cable card.

Last edited by pdhenry : 02-11-2011 at 09:04 PM.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #278
Impulses

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbadillo View Post
Saludos... que pasará ahora con los Tivos? sabiendo q OL requerirá cajas digitales hasta para el cable básico. Yo tengo 2 tivos con cable básico stock sin cable cards...??? alguién sabe?

Gracias
It seems OneLink has finally started that slow transition, they've started transmitting the basic cable channels on both the analog 1-100 channels and a set of new digital/encrypted 8xxx channels... It's causing headaches for people using a TiVo sans Cablecard, I've found a workaround for S3 or newer owners but S2 are still w/o programming data (and may end up not being compatible w/OL service anymore in the long run). See this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=466621

Does this mean that EVERYONE will soon need a CableCard to access even the basic cable channels?? Basically a mandatory ~$7 price hike for TiVo users, I haven't been able to confirm whether they intend to stop transmitting on 1-99 but that's what it's sounding like.

In the course of that thread I may have also discovered an alternate way of accessing online content on the TiVo w/o a VPN or any more complex solution (though it's viability will depend largely on your mobile phone company, it's lack or enforcement of a data cap, and speed). See my post here for more...

Last edited by Impulses : 05-02-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Impulses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #279
Impulses

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaestro2657 View Post
By the way I confirmed that their policy forces you to pay for the HD channels. There is no way to get cablecard without paying $16 ( or 11 if you have powerlink, which I don't ). So in effect, the cost for getting a cable card is at least 17.25. Is that ok with the FCC? Can they do that?
I think they've backed off that policy, if it was ever in effect. I tried ordering a CableCard yesterday to solve a problem unrelated to HD programming (basic cable lineup is being shifted and/or messed up in the programming guide), a rep called Angel Lara was ready to place the order for me sans the HD channel charge.

He was knowledgeable about the Cablecards and seemed to know what he was doing (unlike the 3 or 4 reps I talked to previous to being escalated to him). He told me it'd be $1.75 for the card and $5 or $6 for the so-called digital access fee... Actually, initially he tried to sell it all to me w/the HD package and said it'd be $20-something total, but I quickly told him I didn't want HD programming and he didn't push it.

In the end he wasn't able to process the order though because he was getting some kind of unrecognized error code on the codes used for the cards, but he told me he'd look into it and I could call later to confirm it. Maybe the error was because he split it off from the HD programming? Who knows...

I've been trying to get in contact with Esther Culbero to get to the bottom of it as it seems I'll eventually need a Cablecard even for basic cable. Hopefully this is paving the way for extra bandwith on their end and increased HD programming, tho I'm not holding my breath.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #280
curiera

I just bought a TIVO Premiere. I live in Puerto Rico and Liberty Cable provides our cable service. We visited the Liberty Customer Service office, where the supervisor told us that in order to obtain the cable card ($55) we would need to bring our TiVo, leave it with them for 30 days so they can configure it!!!!! That does not sound reasonable to me.

Please, If there are any other Liberty Cable customers out there that have gone through this, I would love to hear from you.
curiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:35 AM   #281
Impulses

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabell View Post
I don't want to be pessimistic, but since Puerto Rico's exclusion is in their "Terms & Conditions" I don't think emails would make a difference unless Amazon (for example) opens their service internationally or Puerto Rico becomes a US State.

That's just beyond ridiculous, both the price and the method/delay for the install.

As for Onelink customers in PR... I recall reading a few months ago that a few people weren't able to get CableCards without paying the extra $13 for the anemic five channel HD lineup (might've been a different thread?)... Well, it's still possible, the sales rep might say he's not aware of it or whatever but if you push him to ask for a supervisor they'll let you have the card for the $6 or whatever the card-only fee is (like $2 for the card and $5 for "digital access" IIRC).

I called in recently to place an order for my card since they've going all digital soon and without it I wouldn't even be able to watch basic cable.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #282
camera2000

Based on OneLink's response to the FCC, it looks like the FCC gave OneLink 30 days to start offering this programming or 'else'.
Don't expect the Installer to know what (s)he's doing, you need to be the expert here.
camera2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #283
JFCR

Hi curiera, I'm glad to have run into your message. I work for Liberty Cablevision of Puerto Rico, and I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. Contrary to what you were informed, TiVO customers may obtain the CableCARD necessary for TiVO and Liberty integrated service the same day they visit any of Liberty's customer service centers. Both the TiVO and the CableCARD will be activated on your Liberty account that same day if you bring your TiVo to a service center, or as soon as you install the card and call us with your TiVO equipment data and equipment number. Please call us at 787-657-3050, exts. 4004 or 5035 or Liberty customer service number if you need more information or have any problems.
JFCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #284
ecr80

good to know as i'm getting Liberty (onelink) cable service this week. and then next week my new tivo arrives
ecr80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:06 AM   #285
Impulses

The techs and even their sales people seem a lot better informed about Cablecards as of late, despite the fact that the number of card users is probably dwindling.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #286
ecr80

i just got triple pack with 40 megs. tech told me i could add the cablecard later on for just $5.99 more.

is the M-Card the default now? or do i still have to request it? Thanks!
Old 09-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #287
ecr80

i requested the multistream cablecard it's getting installed today.