TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #211
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
Not sure what difference it makes what the exterior is made of. You sit it on a shelf and usually only touch when dusting. Nobody complains that game consoles are plastic.
Tim Whitfield does!
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #212
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
I know this wont be a big deal for most people, but I was just wondering when a program is recording, do you have the 4/6 red lights on the front panel to let you know how many programs are in progress of being recorded, or is there just that one big red light on the front and thats it? Thanks.
It's one full circle with little half moons next to it for the rest of the tuners.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #213
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
It's one full circle with little half moons next to it for the rest of the tuners.
Ohhh OK, I was kinda wondering that, but wasnt sure if anyone would know what I was talking about Thanks!
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #214
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
You need binoculars to see just how many tuners are recording. Not that with SIX it make much difference.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #215
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post

Tim Whitfield does!
Clearly. I remember when IBM made a thing about the "mainframe" materials it used on the original PC -- will last a lifetime.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #216
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
You need binoculars to see just how many tuners are recording. Not that with SIX it make much difference.
The four individual circles on the previous model were much nicer. This looks gimmicky, and as you mentioned, how is one supposed to see the half circles unless you are right on top of it?
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #217
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Plastic, August 24, 2013
By Tim Whitfield
This review is from: TiVo TCD840500 Roamio HD Digital Video Recorder (Electronics) I noticed 2 of the rubber feet were laying loose in the bag <snip> My intuition told me this was going to be nothing but trouble!!

Returned to TiVo - I'm tired of being burned by consumer electronics companies.<snip>
I have no idea who this guy is, but that's not a review. You can't see 2 rubber feet loose, and decide to send it back with a 1/5 rating. Whoever this @sshat is has done a disservice to potential users, and interested readers. Reviews aren't intuition based; they should be based on your total experiences with a product.

At least USE IT before you diss it.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #218
ncbill

Sadly, my Roamio-Basic experience has come to an end.

After experiencing the below, I tried restarting, and never again got past the "Welcome to Tivo, Please wait" screen, even after pulling the plug for a 'hard' reset.

The green light stayed on, the amber light would flash some, but I never got past that first screen (the Roamio would simply cycle continuously between the first screen & no video output)

So my Roamio will be going back to Tivo on Monday, after working for less than 24 hours, as well as the free (unopened) Stream

I did notice that although the Roamio was on an open shelf with lots of room for airflow on the sides, it got much warmer than the Premiere it replaced.

I wonder if Tivo will regret going with the smaller, plastic case for the Basic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Anybody else have a problem with OTA tuner overload on the R-Basic?

I use a 2-bay outside UHF antenna w/ high-gain amplifier, with a 2-way splitter to feed upstairs & downstairs via the house built-in coax.

Roamio is upstairs and now can't tune the closest station (which I could receive with the proverbial bent paper clip) w/o pixilation (most transmitters are 35-60 miles away).

But reception issues seems to get worse over time - stations that are farther away and tuned in fine yesterday now can't be rec'd at all (i.e. "The Tivo cannot tune this channel" message)

I haven't rebooted the Roamio yet.

Last edited by ncbill : 08-24-2013 at 08:16 PM.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #219
Series3Sub

I don't think TiVO will regret going CHEAP anything for the Roamio, as it is clear their mission was to make that one as CHEAP as possible to manufacture and I don't think TiVo really cares that much about OTA subscribers or cord-cutters. especially since the Roamio only has 4 tuners, can tune either OTA or Cable, not both simultaneously, and Roamio is marketed as an "Entry Level" model.

I'm sure TiVo feels their bread and butter are cable subscribers, and TiVo probably further feeld that if one wants a "Quality" TiVo, people ought to step up to Plus and Pro, which are better looking, IMHO. It's the cable subs who seem to have and are willing to spend the money for Plus and Pro. That is probably TiVo's thinking.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #220
series5orpremier

I will say I was disappointed with Roamio's inability to handle analog cable or even see the program guide of my analog cable channels, but now I'm not as disappointed. After buying a modern router and setting up everything on the network I just discovered this multi-room streaming stuff and it's amazing. I can watch and control any previously recorded analog cable shows on my Premiere XL from my Roamio.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #221
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by series5orpremier View Post
. I can watch and control any previously recorded analog cable shows on my Premiere XL from my Roamio.
And do it on iOS devices if you have any.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #222
series5orpremier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
It's the cable subs who seem to have and are willing to spend the money for Plus and Pro.
The cable companies don't want OTA in those boxes because it's potential competition. By not having a more robust OTA box I think TiVo is missing out on an opportunity to redefine the marketplace and accelerate a cable-cutting trend that already exists. Instead they're just being a lackey for the cable companies.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #223
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by series5orpremier View Post
The cable companies don't want OTA in those boxes because it's potential competition. By not having a more robust OTA box I think TiVo is missing out on an opportunity to redefine the marketplace and accelerate a cable-cutting trend that already exists. Instead they're just being a lackey for the cable companies.
The market for a $1000 (without lifetime) 6 tuner box that could do OTA and cable is extremely small. I don't see how they are missing out on anything.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #224
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
The market for a $1000 (without lifetime) 6 tuner box that could do OTA and cable is extremely small. I don't see how they are missing out on anything.
My thoughts exactly. A $20-$40 added cost per box is a non starter if it is only potentially utilized by 1% of your customers. I bet they did a lot of research before making that decision.

OTA air users should've happy that they have a quad tuner box that can support the stream and mini.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #225
awsnyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
Not sure what difference it makes what the exterior is made of. You sit it on a shelf and usually only touch when dusting. Nobody complains that game consoles are plastic.
I planned on hitting a burglar over the head with my TiVo. Plastic just doesn't cut it!
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #226
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsnyde View Post
I planned on hitting a burglar over the head with my TiVo. Plastic just doesn't cut it!
That makes me recall a video somebody posted on the Facebook TiVo page, where they threw a TiVo HD off a roof, and then continued to smash away for quite a while. That video would have been much shorter, had TiVo made the HD out of plastic!
Old 08-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #227
rgranber

Very happy, but

I've had a couple of days with the new Roamio Plus. 6 tuners rocks.

Definitely go through guided setup before having cable card installed if tech has to do it. Initial start up takes awhile to download firmware updates, guide, etc.

I unchecked lots of channels in the Channel List in the Settings menu and also marked some as Favorites. This did NOT result in any changes to the Guide or the ability to filter on Favorites. If I access the guide from TiVo.com , the guide shows only the channels I have checked in the Channel List. Anyone else have this problem. Strangely enough when I played with it after initial setup and before cable card install, I remember testing tis feature ( unchecked a couple of channels) and the guide reflected the changes.

It would be nice if there was to set defaults for series recordings so that user could pick new only/reruns, # to keep, high/low priority, start/end times that they like without having to change the options everytime you set up a timer if you don't like TiVo's default.

There's no restart/reset menu like it shows in the premiere manual (sorry, but this is my first TiVo, so I may not know what I'm talking about).

Speaking of manuals, hope they make one for Roamio soon.

Overall, in this short period, I'm very happy to be rid of Suddenlinks DVR.
rgranber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #228
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgranber View Post
I've had a couple of days with the new Roamio Plus. 6 tuners rocks.

Definitely go through guided setup before having cable card installed if tech has to do it. Initial start up takes awhile to download firmware updates, guide, etc.

I unchecked lots of channels in the Channel List in the Settings menu and also marked some as Favorites. This did NOT result in any changes to the Guide or the ability to filter on Favorites. If I access the guide from TiVo.com , the guide shows only the channels I have checked in the Channel List. Anyone else have this problem. Strangely enough when I played with it after initial setup and before cable card install, I remember testing tis feature ( unchecked a couple of channels) and the guide reflected the changes.

It would be nice if there was to set defaults for series recordings so that user could pick new only/reruns, # to keep, high/low priority, start/end times that they like without having to change the options everytime you set up a timer if you don't like TiVo's default.

There's no restart/reset menu like it shows in the premiere manual (sorry, but this is my first TiVo, so I may not know what I'm talking about).

Speaking of manuals, hope they make one for Roamio soon.

Overall, in this short period, I'm very happy to be rid of Suddenlinks DVR.
Under the guide you should have options show only channels I receive. It is probably still set to all.

I agree about the defaults, but since I use KMTTG to set all my shows I don't miss it all that much.

Restart/Reset should be buried in the help menu now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #229
rgranber

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Under the guide you should have options show only channels I receive. It is probably still set to all.

I agree about the defaults, but since I use KMTTG to set all my shows I don't miss it all that much.

Restart/Reset should be buried in the help menu now.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll check it out.
rgranber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #230
thyname

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryMike View Post
Set up my new Roamio Plus and Tivo Mini yesterday. Everything went mostly without a hitch. CableCard re-pairing with Charter was fairly straight forward and quick.

I do have a weird issue though. When I go to look at signal strengths in the channel settings, it says that its not available because I don't have any digital channels.

Also, when I go to do a channel test through the cablecard menu, it says "No channels available".

ALL of my channels come in, including all my HD channels.
I get the same message on my P4: I don't have any digital channels?!?! What gives?
thyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:57 AM   #231
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
...Restart/Reset should be buried in the help menu now.
I still don't know why they put the restart menu under help. I wanted to reboot one of my Premiere boxes, and I had to search online for where it was hidden...

Last edited by DCIFRTHS : 08-26-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:02 AM   #232
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
When I use Netflix on my Premiers it frequently blinks out. It's one of the reasons I hate using Netflix on TiVo. What is the cause of this? The TiVo not passing the correct frame rate to the TV?

Thanks!
Okay. I disabled 1080p/24 and the TV screen no longer blanks out when watching Netflix.

Does the blanking out happen because TiVo has a problem passing the /24 frame rate?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:06 AM   #233
JWhites

No. It's generally because of bandwidth issues on the network. It takes more to stream in 1080p from Netflix then it does to stream the same thing in 720p or 1080i. I'm seeing the same thing on the Premieres
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #234
sbiller

Latest Amazon 1 Star Review on the Roamio Base Model...

Quote:
0 of 2 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Tivo cut too many corners ..., August 25, 2013
By Zinger (Midwest) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TiVo TCD840500 Roamio HD Digital Video Recorder (Electronics)
cannot accept digital cable AND off-air at the same time

composite connection requires a break out box - sold separately

On-board Ethernet (10/100) - no support for 1000

MoCA Bridge (requires adapter - sold separately

no remote finder

Current stats:
5 Star - (3)
4 Star - (1)
3 Star - (0)
2 Star - (0)
1 Star - (3)
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #235
Kobe_No_Means_No

I'm loving my Roamio Plus. I've had 7 other Tivos, ranging from the original to the Premiere. Unlike the Premiere, this one doesn't disappoint. It is very speedy, which really makes a big difference. So far I haven't ran into any type of lock-ups/problems. I haven't used any of the added functions on my Plus though, as I'm a Slingbox user and I use it to stream locally and away from home. When you setup your Slingbox just choose XL4 as your device and everything works fine.

Once someone can confirm that 4TB works/don't work on the Roamio I will open it up and either stick a 4TB or 3TB in there.
Kobe_No_Means_No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #236
elwaylite

For whatever reason it was having issues downloading and updating off my Ethernet connection, so I went to WiFi and it went more smoothly.

Until I could get the call in and download working, it would reboot, notice my 1TB WD AV Expander, but then tell me it was unsupported. After those kinks worked out, it recognized the AV DVR Expander and formatted it.

Speed is good, I like the look, and to my eyes OTA PQ is more crisp than Dish. I'm able to flip back and forth, so maybe that it's a newer chip or its doing some sort of undefeatable edge enhancement. Looks great regardless, and I like having native. Downloaded a 1080p/24 episode of Hell on Wheels from Amazon VOD (1.7gb's in size) and the PQ is outstanding. Roamio outputs 1080p/24 without a hitch as far as I can tell.

I used to love the auto downloads for season passes on Amazon, and I will be using that a lot moving forward. Other than the buggy setup for me, no complaints yet. I also tried out recording 4 OTA shows at once, while downloading an Amazon TV show, worked fine.

OTA tuner seems to report lower than expected, but it seems to perform better. For example, my local CBS and ABC are usually 100% on anything I try in the living room, but the Roamio reports 85%. I am not able to get fox OTA because of dropouts with the Hopper tuner, and a SS around 60%. TiVo report 50-55% for Fox but I watched it 30 mins last night and no drop. When the fall kicks off Ill try recording a few shows and see how they do.
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #237
SugarBowl
Roamio Plus

cheap rubber stick on feet on the bottom of my base roamio. And one of them was missing, so the unit is wobbly.

And the 'What To Watch Now' screen... The icons are so small and hard to read. Nothing like the implementation on the iPhone/iPad app.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #238
Scooby Doo

I installed my new Roamio Plus and Mini last night. This is my third Tivo following a DirecTivo (purchased in 2003) and a Tivo HD (purchased in 2008). Here are my quick thoughts.

This thing isn't perfect yet, but it's going to be spectacular. Viewing of live TV, recorded shows, and the program guide seem rock solid across both the Plus and Mini. Internet apps (Netflix, Pandora, Amazon) still have some bugs to work out, but you can already see they are going to offer a big improvement in user experience. Streaming and downloading to IOS devices still have some bugs and/or are not yet fully implemented, but look like they will be great.

Setup still takes longer than it should. I had no problems with my first MOCA install and it is fast (300 Mbit/s) and rock solid. Transferring all my season passes using Tivo.com was painless and took 30 seconds - great experience.

"Find my remote" is, to me, alone worth the cost of the box. If you don't have three small children then I suspect you will have no idea what I am talking about.

Overall, I love how Tivo has integrated some powerful new functionality while retaining a very familiar user interface. I love that my kids (and wife!) can work the new box right away. Looks to me like the best Tivo ever.

I'm now off to eBay to sell my Tivo HD with lifetime. Hope to make back at least a reasonable portion of the cost of the new kit.
Scooby Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #239
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
No. It's generally because of bandwidth issues on the network. It takes more to stream in 1080p from Netflix then it does to stream the same thing in 720p or 1080i. I'm seeing the same thing on the Premieres
What is the speed, and who is the provider of your connection?

Interesting as I have a fast, solid connection with FiOS. Currently clocking download speeds at 83 Mbps, and it seems rock solid. For the most part, the screen blanks within a minute of starting playback, or sometimes whenI pause, FF or rewind. Once it switches to 1080p/24, I am usually okay.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #240
JWhites

I have Comcast. I see 57 or 58 Mbps download http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2918120644 Sometimes I see what you are seeing and sometimes I don't. 98% of the time I don't.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote