TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
bdspilot

Premiere or Mini

Getting the Pro should I keep Premiere or sell and get mini? Thoughts?
bdspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdspilot View Post
Good question.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
celtic pride

personally i would keep the premiere so i can have another 2 tuners in my bedroom of course i will have to pay the $4.99 cablecard fee plus i already have lifetime on my premiere.(i have the 2 tuner THX xl premiere)
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
PoobBubes

I am replacing two Premieres with a Roamio Pro and Mini. I like that all recordings will be in one centralized place and the Mini's UI is snappier than the Premiere's.
PoobBubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdspilot View Post
My house has had four TiVos for awhile. Our Season Pass load keeps two of those TiVos busy recording, but the other two TiVos were pretty much only used for MRV and occasional live TV.

The Premiere 4 XL made it easy to replace the two that didn't record much with minis. The Roamio will make it easy to replace the last TiVo.

For me, I like how the minis save money by not needing a cable card, the fact that they don't count as an extra outlet (Cox Cable charges an extra fee where I live if you have more than one outlet), and how they appear to use less power than regular TiVos. There's also a lot less wire clutter (esp. minus the tuning adapters) and zero noise, both of which I appreciate in the bedrooms. The minis are also a ton snappier than my Premieres.

This was my setup last year:
Premiere - Living Room
Premiere - Roommate's Room
Series 3 - my room
Series 3 - guest room
----------
6 cable cards + 4 tuning adapters + "multi-outlet" fee

In March, I went to this:
Premiere 4 XL - Living Room
Premiere - Roommate's Room
Mini - my room
Mini - guest room
----------
2 cable cards + 2 tuning adapters + "multi-outlet" fee

I've got a Roamio Pro on order, and plan on doing this:
Roamio Pro - Living Room
Mini - Roommate's Room
Mini - my room
Mini - guest room
----------
1 cable card + 1 tuning adapter + NO "multi-outlet" fee

My only worry now is that if the Roamio Pro acts up, the whole house will be without TV. Since 2001, I've had three TiVo failures, with only one being the main Living Room ... we used the other TiVos to compensate during the 3 day downtime it took TiVo to ship a replacement. I know I'm rolling the dice early (considering TiVo's previous track record) when it comes to putting all of money on the Roamio, so hopefully this works out!
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
monkeydust

Until tivo adds profiles or folders, I lean towards two tivo's so I don't have to wade through my wife's and daughters crappy shows to get to mine.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

This is tricky from the perspective of someone who uses cable and OTA together (albeit mostly cable). At first, I thought that -- if I didn't have existing units to consider -- the ideal setup would be 1 Roamio for OTA, 1 Roamio Plus for Fios, and X Minis for the rest of the TVs. But then I realized: the Roamios won't grab tuners from each other for Live TV, like a Mini will. So there'd be no way to watch OTA live on one set, or cable on the other. Therefore, maybe the "ideal" setup would be X + 2 Minis (one for each set), with the two Roamios in a closet... but now it's just got silly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
bandwagon

I too currently have a premier and just ordered the Roamio. Planning to keep the premier for the time being, just to transfer recordings, season passes, etc if nothing else. I'm paying month to month at 9.99 for the premier, so a mini with lifetime would make more sense in the long run.

Interesting alternative wmcbrine - essentially putting the tivos in a rack in the basement along with the cable modem, tuning adapter, etc and then using minis as thin clients. You may be able to get by with only 1 extra mini, and use the OTA directly and the mini for the TV where you would have put the Plus.

It was probably a good move for TiVo to keep OTA in the low end box for 'cable cutters' looking to save money - but they didn't think about the 'power users'. Probably came down to licensing fees or something like that.
bandwagon is offline   Reply With Quote