TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
tbielowicz

Tivo Mini & Slingbox... can it work?

I know this was asked by other community members before release, but I have not seen any updates. I liked the idea that you were not hijacking the main Tivo unit and instead a mini.

Let me know if this worked for anyone and if there were any limitations.
tbielowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:02 AM   #2
HarperVision

I have a Vulkano I may hook it up to. I'll report how it goes if I do.
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
Gaidin43

I know you have to use the break out cables and just like the Slingbox on the main TiVo box I believe you need a powered splitter / receiver / TV on the end of the HDMI if you don't just through put the component cables to your tv.
Gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbielowicz View Post
I know this was asked by other community members before release, but I have not seen any updates. I liked the idea that you were not hijacking the main Tivo unit and instead a mini.

Let me know if this worked for anyone and if there were any limitations.
I suppose it would work. You could have the HDMI to the TV and the component to the Slingbox. This assumes that the Tivo would output to both HDMI and Component at the same time (Like the Premiere does).
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
rainwater

It works fine with component out from the Mini to the SB. And the component out from the SB going to the TV.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
tivoboy

So will it work with the HDMI out, or not? and also, does anyone know if the mini work with BOTH the HDMI and the component breakout cable?
tivoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post
So will it work with the HDMI out, or not? and also, does anyone know if the mini work with BOTH the HDMI and the component breakout cable?
The Slingbox ALWAYS needs component, because of HDCP issues. The Slingbox 500 will ask if the exact same signal is present on the HDMI, apparently so it can use that if HDCP allows at a given time.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
HarperVision

Quote:
Yes it does, just did it yesterday.

(Both at same time)
Old 03-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
tivoboy

well

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2ue View Post
The Slingbox ALWAYS needs component, because of HDCP issues. The Slingbox 500 will ask if the exact same signal is present on the HDMI, apparently so it can use that if HDCP allows at a given time.
yes, I just use a 500 with HDMI only, but don't stream things like HBO which is one of the only things it pukes on. I have the component setup as well, for when I travel and want HBO streaming (But most things are on hbogo) but if the mini WILL do both, component AND HDMI at the same time, then that is great, I'll probably just setup one premier or mini and try and have that do the one slingbox
Old 03-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
HarperVision

It will, I did, it does!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
Bigg

Quote:
yes, I just use a 500 with HDMI only, but don't stream things like HBO which is one of the only things it pukes on. I have the component setup as well, for when I travel and want HBO streaming (But most things are on hbogo) but if the mini WILL do both, component AND HDMI at the same time, then that is great, I'll probably just setup one premier or mini and try and have that do the one slingbox
Nice, sounds like it's following the copy once for HDCP on the HDMI side.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #12
MisterTWo

I have a Tivo Mini and and Slingbox 350, I ran into an issue with the following configuration:

Tivo Mini:
HDMI - to av receiver
Component - to Slingbox 350

Viewing content over the Slingbox works but displays a message floating on top of the content that says "HDMI connection not permitted, press select for more information". All Tivo menu's, recorded, and live TV work but I see that message floating over all video content. I've tried to make it go away but it pops back up right away.

As a workaround I'm using the component outputs only and everything works as expected. Hopefully they will disable the error message in a software upgrade as I'd rather use HDMI to get surround sound from the Mini.
MisterTWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
tivoboy

same

I'm having the same issue with a XL4 and the 500 slingbox. Not really sure if it is an issue with the HDMI in on the TV from the SB or something else, but yes I just use the component connection for slinging and it works fine. HDMI straight from the TIVO to the TV and that works fine too.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #14
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTWo View Post
I have a Tivo Mini and and Slingbox 350, I ran into an issue with the following configuration:

Tivo Mini:
HDMI - to av receiver
Component - to Slingbox 350

Viewing content over the Slingbox works but displays a message floating on top of the content that says "HDMI connection not permitted, press select for more information". All Tivo menu's, recorded, and live TV work but I see that message floating over all video content. I've tried to make it go away but it pops back up right away.

As a workaround I'm using the component outputs only and everything works as expected. Hopefully they will disable the error message in a software upgrade as I'd rather use HDMI to get surround sound from the Mini.
The problem is usually that the HDMI destination is not handshaking when it is in "off" or "standby". It is is a receiver, they can be tricked into staying active by turning the HDMI Control mode to ON, which keeps it listening, and therefore HDMI stays active.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #15
MisterTWo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2ue View Post
The problem is usually that the HDMI destination is not handshaking when it is in "off" or "standby". It is is a receiver, they can be tricked into staying active by turning the HDMI Control mode to ON, which keeps it listening, and therefore HDMI stays active.
Thank you! I turned on RIHD mode on my Onkyo which is their version of HDMI control and everything is working as expected even with the receiver turned off!
MisterTWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #16
tivoboy

What were the slingbox 500 settings people used for the mini?
Old 06-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #17
tivoboy

Should the HDMI audio come over regular WAN streaming? I'm getting the dreaded HDMI not supported error on a Tivo Mini connected via HDMI to a SB 500, then to a samsung 46" HDCP compliant TV.. but no audio on WAN streaming..

Does one ALSO need the component connection just to get audio?
Old 07-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #18
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
If you are having HDCP issues with the 500, you might want to pick up a ViewHD hdmi splitter off Amazon. For $20, they work wonders, I use one of them with a Black Magic HDMI Intensity Pro card in my PC and it has never let me down, there's no reason it wouldn't work the same with a Slingbox 500....
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #19
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
If you are having HDCP issues with the 500, you might want to pick up a ViewHD hdmi splitter off Amazon. For $20, they work wonders, I use one of them with a Black Magic HDMI Intensity Pro card in my PC and it has never let me down, there's no reason it wouldn't work the same with a Slingbox 500....
Can you provide a link? I am not seeing anything in that price range on Amazon.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #20
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
Can you provide a link? I am not seeing anything in that price range on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004F9...ref=mp_s_a_1_1
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #21
tivoboy

Yes, I'm still having the issue with HDMI only. I can't stream anything outside the LAN to WAN with just HDMI connected. Even when the SB 500 and mini are on and connected to the TV and the TV is on (I'm assuming it is doing some sort of handshake) I get the pop-up about HDMI not supported, both at the remote slingplayer app and on the TV..

Why even have the HDMI connection then?
Old 07-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #22
aaronwt
HD Addict

That was the reason I never even considered the Slingbox 500. In everything I read, they mentioned there could be an issue with HDMI because of the protection.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:14 AM   #23
SrLANGuy

I just upgraded from the Slingbox Pro HD to the newer Slingbox 350. I avoided the Slingbox 500 because the HDMI is useless in many cases, so why even bother.

I purchased the A/V Breakout Cable Kit when I purchased my TiVo Mini just so I could hookup my Slingbox. So I have HDMI from the Mini to my TV and I have Component Video + Audio from the Mini to my Slingbox. It works great!

NOTE: TiVo software 20.4.1 introduced a bug which could cause the Component Video to go out. This has been fixed with the Summer Update (20.4.2) which started rolling out today. Everyone should have the newer software very soon.
SrLANGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #24
tivoboy

So, what is the AV breakout cable, is it just the mini plug to component, or is there a red/white composite as well? Must be I guess..

Also, without HDMI from the slingbox to the TV directly, can one still do things like dish and blockbuster? I thought there were some functions on the slingbox that required the HDMI HDCP handshake with the TV to work?
Old 07-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #25
Diana Collins

Quote:
So, what is the AV breakout cable, is it just the mini plug to component, or is there a red/white composite as well? Must be I guess..
There are two sets of wires in the breakout kit...one is component video (RGB) and the other is composite video and analog audio (red/white/yellow). You need both.

BTW, the WD Live breakout cables are compatible with the Mini and cost about half as much on eBay. They are shorter, but for Slingbox use I consider that a benefit. We have two Slingbox Pros, each connected to Minis, one with Tivo cables and one with WD cables...both work perfectly.

RGB component cable for $4 on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-WD-...item3a80237f63
Composite/Audio cable for $4 on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-WD-W...item56666abe6d

Total $12 (including shipping - less if the seller will ship both together)

Breakout kit on Tivo.com: https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/av-cable

Total: $25.71 (including tax and shipping)

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Last edited by Diana Collins : 07-14-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Added links
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:49 PM   #26
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

Also, without HDMI from the slingbox to the TV directly, can one still do things like dish and blockbuster? I thought there were some functions on the slingbox that required the HDMI HDCP handshake with the TV to work?
You need two breakout cables for the Mini if you plan to use component out. One breakout cable is for component RGB. The second breakout cables has composite and L/R audio. So you use L/R audio and component to the SlingBox.

And yes it is just a mini plug to the regular RCA connectors.

Here is a link to the Breakout cable on the TiVo web store

https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/av-cable

I bought a couple of sets of these last year to use with my Minis.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #27
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Another option if you have amazon prime,

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Mini-Comp...breakout+cable

Still not as cheap as eBay but it's a lot less hassle.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #28
tivoboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
Another option if you have amazon prime,

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Mini-Comp...breakout+cable

Still not as cheap as eBay but it's a lot less hassle.
thanks, yes I found the WD cables for about 10$ shipped combined on ebay. Figure it's worth a try.

I might prefer to do the HDMI splitter route though, since that apparently would allow the HDMI to work fine AND not require all these extra cables? Can anyone comment on signal degradation on the HDMI splitters?
Old 07-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #29
Diana Collins

I have not found any signal quality issues with HDMI splitters, but make sure you get one that does HDCP on its own, unless you are sure that the TV will do HDCP acknowledgement when turned off (some do, but most don't). Otherwise, you won't be able to stream any copy protected content if the TV is off.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #30
aaronwt
HD Addict

The picture from an active HDMI splitter will be identical to the output of the device. There is no difference.