TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

PyTiVo

But will the new Roamio work with PyTiVo? Year after year I use PyTiVo more and more and can't live without it now!
Old 08-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
But will the new Roamio work with PyTiVo? Year after year I use PyTiVo more and more and can't live without it now!
I sooooooo Hope it works with PyTivo.
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
Philmatic

It's likely that it WILL work, I don't expect any changes in that realm of the software. We will find out tomorrow I imagine.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

I'm sure some of the overnighter shippers will fill in the blanks. As long as the file format and OS use the same build I think we are ok (fingers crossed).
Old 08-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

I can't imagine they would change that part of the software. If they did then they'd need to upgrade TiVo Desktop and they haven't done that in years.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I can't imagine they would change that part of the software. If they did then they'd need to upgrade TiVo Desktop and they haven't done that in years.
But remember how it seems like they were trying to get rid of TiVo Desktop?
Old 08-21-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
But remember how it seems like they were trying to get rid of TiVo Desktop?
Tivo Desktop Plus still exists, is supported, and available for purchase right now. Tivo killed the free version of TD.

Speculation is that it was a support issue with Windows 8. Windows 8 no longer ships with the necessary MPEG-2 codec, so Tivo would have to provide that with the free version, but since the license fee per user for MPEG-2 is a few bucks, Tivo made the choice to end the Free version, rather than having to worry about paying for codec licensing. TD Plus includes the codecs, so that's not an issue with the paid version.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
mlippert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Speculation is that it was a support issue with Windows 8. Windows 8 no longer ships with the necessary MPEG-2 codec, so Tivo would have to provide that with the free version, but since the license fee per user for MPEG-2 is a few bucks, Tivo made the choice to end the Free version, rather than having to worry about paying for codec licensing. TD Plus includes the codecs, so that's not an issue with the paid version.
Ah, now that makes sense. I hadn't heard that before. Thanks.
mlippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

I guess nobody has a Roamio yet to test PyTiVo...
Old 08-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
travisjb

I asked this of wmcbrine in another thread yesterday. He apparently has one on order and so I'm sure he'll have some things to say soon. Mine will arrive end of week and I'll update here if that's still necessary.
travisjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Assuming the cable card setup goes smoothly I should be able to report on pytivo functions tomorrow evening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

pyTiVo uses the same basic technology as TiVo Desktop so I'm 99.9% sure it'll work fine. If it didn't then TiVo would have to release an update to TiVo Desktop and there is no sign of that.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #13
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Tivo Desktop Plus still exists, is supported, and available for purchase right now. Tivo killed the free version of TD.

Win 8 doesn't have a free mpeg-2 codec? **** that! I hate my tablet 'cause I have to convert all my .Tivo and mpg recordings to mp4 (264). Does windows 8 seriously not have that? Sorry for the thread derail. My windows boxes are xp and 7.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Win8 doesn't have an MPEG-2 codec unless you install MCE. For a while MCE was free, but now it's a pay option. Part of the reason they separated MCE from the main product is so they didn't have to pay the MPEG-2 license fee for every copy of Windows they sold.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #15
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Win8 doesn't have an MPEG-2 codec unless you install MCE. For a while MCE was free, but now it's a pay option. Part of the reason they separated MCE from the main product is so they didn't have to pay the MPEG-2 license fee for every copy of Windows they sold.
I use mplayer and/or vlc on Linux with the "tainted" repos... so I can play anything. I believe such options are available in MS-Windows, also, although I am not sure since I have never used it to play video before.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

.tivo files are encrypted and can only be played in a player that supports DirectShow. Media Player Classic might work, since it uses DS and has a built in MPEG-2 codec, but VLC wont. There are ways to decrypt .tivo files to standard .mpg or .ts files, but that's an extra step.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #17
moyekj

As would be expected, pyTivo works fine with Roamio Plus (push & pull). Haven't fully tested metadata but at least the basics are fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #18
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
.tivo files are encrypted and can only be played in a player that supports DirectShow. Media Player Classic might work, since it uses DS and has a built in MPEG-2 codec, but VLC wont. There are ways to decrypt .tivo files to standard .mpg or .ts files, but that's an extra step.
Yep, I use tivodecode to get rid of the DRM s***t:

http://tivodecode.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tivodecode/
Old 08-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #19
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
As would be expected, pyTivo works fine with Roamio Plus (push & pull). Haven't fully tested metadata but at least the basics are fine.
Yay!!!!!!!!! Thanks for checking.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #20
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
YESSSSS
this makes me a happy camper and if you are in the MV area you must have COX too.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #21
BigJimOutlaw

I just pushed an MKV from my computer to the Plus using pytivo. Throughput was 90 mbps over ethernet and 75 over MoCA. Pretty much on par with what I got on the Elite.

Didn't try wireless. That's extremely YMMV anyway.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

Is your Ethernet network Gigabit?
Old 08-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #23
monkeydust

Installed pyTivo for the first time today and was able to successfully transfer avi and mkv files to my Plus. Speed of last transfer was 169.43 Mb/s (sending a bunch now... one was 148.36 Mb/s and another was 167.85 Mb/s). I have my house wired cat 6 gigabit router/switches.

Should have installed this sooner w/my Elite as this is much better than dealing with Stream,Baby,Stream or Samsung's AllShare.

EDIT: Interesting... I sent a video to my Elite and it transferred at 54.28 Mb/s. Big difference.

EDIT2: Now that I've transferred all the programs to the Tivos, what a mess...sure could use custom folder creation for organization.

EDIT3: Guess there are some ways to get these shows in folders with tivo desktop or kmttg. Will investigate.

Last edited by monkeydust : 08-25-2013 at 08:09 AM.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #24
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
Installed pyTivo for the first time today and was able to successfully transfer avi and mkv files to my Plus. Speed of last transfer was 169.43 Mb/s (sending a bunch now... one was 148.36 Mb/s and another was 167.85 Mb/s).
Holy ****.

Quote:
Guess there are some ways to get these shows in folders with tivo desktop or kmttg.
Or with pyTivo, yes.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #25
Dan203
Super Moderator

I use a metadata generator for pyTiVo. I usually can get shows to geoup with the other episodes I have recorded directly, but not always. I think there is some piece of data (show ID?) that has to match for them to group properly.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #26
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

seriesID. BTW, the metadata is just a simple text file.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #27
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I know but filling it in by hand is a PITA. The program I use uses some sort of online database to download all the info. It's actually quite handy and works fine most of the time. Just sometimes I end up with an episode that's sitting outside the folder the others are in. (I have an episode of Bones like that on my Elite right now)
Old 08-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #28
lpwcomp

Quote:
I use a metadata generator for pyTiVo. I usually can get shows to geoup with the other episodes I have recorded directly, but not always. I think there is some piece of data (show ID?) that has to match for them to group properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
If the generated metadata file is missing the seriesId, it's probably because it's missing from the TVDB database. In which case, there are a couple of ways to determine what it is and you can either enter it by hand in any of the metadata files from which it is missing or enter it into the TVDB database and recreate the metadata file(s). Then re-pull the episodes.

If you don't mind my asking, which metadata generator program are you using? I have a reason for asking other than idle curiosity.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #29
lpwcomp

Quote:
I know but filling it in by hand is a PITA. The program I use uses some sort of online database to download all the info. It's actually quite handy and works fine most of the time. Just sometimes I end up with an episode that's sitting outside the folder the others are in. (I have an episode of Bones like that on my Elite right now)
That's weird. "Bones" definitely should not have that problem. You did "Pull" the episode via pyTivo, correct?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
That's weird. "Bones" definitely should not have that problem. You did "Pull" the episode via pyTivo, correct?
Yep. I'm on my iPad right now so I can't check the name of the software I use. It,s one with two panes and some icons along the top for TV, Movies, etc...