TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #91
iloqutiss1

Arrow Diagnostic broke my tivo!

I did as the guide said. Removed the HD from tivo. Downloaded Western Digital HD diagnostic on my pc and connected and tested the drive. Just the first two "non destructive" tests. Both passed. I then reinstalled the drive in tivo and hooked it back up. The screen says powering up then goes black.. nothing. Before the diagnostic I had no problems with boot up, just stuttering and pixilation. What gives?
Model # TCD652160, Western Digital 160 GB drive BTW.
iloqutiss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #92
iloqutiss1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xunil76 View Post
tivoupgrade, i haven't read this entire thread yet, so i'm not sure if it's been mentioned or not....but you may want to post a disclaimer in your "Warning!" section that no one should EVER boot into a Windows environment while the computer has a Tivo drive connected to it.

This can possibly save some people a lot of grief, as even many people who consider themselves "PC guys" can have lots of problems, as they may not necessarily know that the Windows environment can corrupt their Tivo drive's boot sector.
Ok, I sure wish I would have seen this post before blindly following your guide. Apparently this is what happened to me. Please edit your guide that it can happen. Also the link for WD diagnostics says its for an image to burn on a bootable cd. If that is really where the li8nk pointed I wouldn't have this problem. All I found was a diagnostic program to install in windows. Would anyone be kind enough to help me find a firmware image for my tivo? That seems to be what I need at this point.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #93
HomeUser

Should not be a major problem look at Fix Bootpage WinMFS - Beta Build 9.3 Guide. Getting the WinMFS Beta may be another issue.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #94
iloqutiss1

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser View Post
Should not be a major problem look at Fix Bootpage Getting the WinMFS Beta may be another issue.
Thank you!
Old 08-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #95
iloqutiss1

Smile Problem Solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloqutiss1 View Post
I did as the guide said. Removed the HD from tivo. Downloaded Western Digital HD diagnostic on my pc and connected and tested the drive. Just the first two "non destructive" tests. Both passed. I then reinstalled the drive in tivo and hooked it back up. The screen says powering up then goes black.. nothing. Before the diagnostic I had no problems with boot up, just stuttering and pixilation. What gives?
Model # TCD652160, Western Digital 160 GB drive BTW.
Quote:
Ok, I sure wish I would have seen this post before blindly following your guide. Apparently this is what happened to me. Please edit your guide that it can happen. Also the link for WD diagnostics says its for an image to burn on a bootable cd. If that is really where the li8nk pointed I wouldn't have this problem. All I found was a diagnostic program to install in windows. Would anyone be kind enough to help me find a firmware image for my tivo? That seems to be what I need at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeUser View Post
Should not be a major problem look at Fix Bootpage (had to remove link b/c I don't have 5 posts yet.) Getting the WinMFS Beta may be another issue.
Thank you homeUser! WinMFS did the trick. Xunil76 was spot on with his warning. You can corrupt the boot sector of the tivo drive if you boot into windows with your drive connected. OP please add that fact to your warning section along with a link to WinMFS just in case. It would also be helpful to update your link to the correct Western Digital program to make a bootable cd. Data Lifeguard for Dos is the one I should have used instead of the Windows version but the guide is not clear on this. Anyway despite my difficulties along the way I do appreciate this informative guide as it saved me from wasting $50 on a new drive that isn't the fix I need. Thank you.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:05 AM   #96
unitron

Quote:
Thank you homeUser! WinMFS did the trick. Xunil76 was spot on with his warning. You can corrupt the boot sector of the tivo drive if you boot into windows with your drive connected. OP please add that fact to your warning section along with a link to WinMFS just in case. It would also be helpful to update your link to the correct Western Digital program to make a bootable cd. Data Lifeguard for Dos is the one I should have used instead of the Windows version but the guide is not clear on this. Anyway despite my difficulties along the way I do appreciate this informative guide as it saved me from wasting $50 on a new drive that isn't the fix I need. Thank you.
Actually, it depends on which version of which version of Windows.

Versions before XP and early versions of XP apparently would see what appeared to them like a blank, never before used drive because there was no IBM/DOS style Master Boot Record and no code was included in them to allow them to recognize the "boot page" used on TiVo drives or the Apple Partition Map style of partitioning, so they'd very helpfully set up said drive with an MBR in anticipation of the PC user going on to set up partitions on the supposedly empty drive.

Did I mention that TiVo boot pages and MBRs use the same part of the drive?

So Windows would write the MBR and that overwrote the boot page.

By the time of XP service pack 3, Microsoft had fixed this problem to the extent that just booting up with a TiVo drive attached doesn't trigger the automatic writing of an MBR.

However, I'd recommend not opening Disk Management in XP while the TiVo drive is connected, just to be on the safe side.

And, as mentioned, WinMFS can fix the boot page on Series 1, 2, and 3 TiVo drives.

Not sure about Series 4 (Premieres and such).

You certainly can't use WinMFS to copy or expand a Series 4 drive--TiVo changed some stuff on them and that was after the most recent verison of WinMFS was written.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote