TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:03 AM   #181
oosik77
TiVo Maniac

The power cord is the same as the Premier.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:10 AM   #182
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by oosik77 View Post
The power cord is the same as the Premier.
Only for the Plus and Pro, NOT the Basic it is a brick.

Which model did you purchase? I am curious how well the 6 Tuner Plus and Pro works with Cox in Phoenix, I do not expect any issues but maybe tuning the 6th channel on SDV *may* be an intermittent issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 08-24-2013 at 06:40 AM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #183
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I haven't heard anyone mention the remote finder on the Roamio Plus and the Roamio Pro. Do any owners have any thoughts on that feature?
Yawn

(although I don't have the box yet)

I have never lost/misplaced a remote. Keys- yes.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #184
moyekj

Quote:
I haven't heard anyone mention the remote finder on the Roamio Plus and the Roamio Pro. Do any owners have any thoughts on that feature?
If you press the button to the right of the green button on the front panel the RF remote will play the intro video tune. Kind of a useless feature to me but entertainment for the kids and the dog.
FYI, if you press the green power button on the front panel this will toggle standby mode on the Roamio.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #185
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
If you press the button to the right of the green button on the front panel the RF remote will play the intro video tune.
Speaking of which, and maybe I missed it, is the Roamio opening different and is there a video of it somewhere?
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #186
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
Speaking of which, and maybe I missed it, is the Roamio opening different and is there a video of it somewhere?
I don't really pay much attention to it but I think it's very similar to S4 non-XL video except right towards the end it's a little different where little TiVos (Minis?) run around the big TiVo.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #187
andyf

Quote:
You can still watch it by pressing '0' in TiVo Central.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #188
jmr50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
- The notion that $22 a month (what TWC charges for their DVR boxes) does not cover the cost of the boxes expected lifetime is hilarious. Assume the box lasts 3 years... that's an annuity of $22 a month. Assume 5% interest is the opportunity cost for TWC and you get an NPV of $733.61. Ebay lists common cable company DVR boxes used for $150 or less. Let's pretend TWC is paying $200 per box (whole-sale price). That leaves them $533.61 leftover to cover their install cost, maintenance and cable cards. OH NOES HOW WILL THEY EVER GET BY ON ONLY THAT?!?! Even if we assume the boxes sit idle for 1/3 of their lifetime (makes no sense, but ok) we can still see that they make MORE than their cost back on the unit in 3 years.
Not to blow up the rest of your argument, but there's no way that cable companies pay $200 for a new DVR. Using the residual value of a used, older generation DVR on eBay is totally bogus. If you look at some of the earnings reports for companies like Pace, it seems like they're charging cable companies are around $350 for standard DVRs and closer to $500 for advanced ("multiroom") DVRs. Of course, it's hard to verify this exactly, but in Canada, you used to be able to buy these at electronics stores and prices were roughly in those ranges (the best ones were upwards of CAD 600).

Still a profitable business. Don't forget, Video On Demand doesn't cost money, it makes money.
jmr50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #189
tvmaster2

does this machine, or the Mini, eliminate the "red X" when trying to share Premium channel content that is a restriction with the Tivo Premiere, in other words, can a whole-home network actually be created?

to me, it still seems ridiculous that in 2013, I can't record in one room and watch in another....
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #190
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I laughed when I accidentally activated it and realized what it was I did.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #191
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
It's the cute cartoony one that has the TiVo man walking through various decades and eventually stepping out onto a stage with a classic rolled background behind him. I've seen it before... it's not entirely new, if any part of it is new.

OK, searched out the standard Premiere opening, and it's identical up till the end in how the TiVo man exits walking through the decades of entertainment.

TiVo Premiere Opening Animation

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #192
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
does this machine, or the Mini, eliminate the "red X" when trying to share Premium channel content that is a restriction with the Tivo Premiere, in other words, can a whole-home network actually be created?

to me, it still seems ridiculous that in 2013, I can't record in one room and watch in another....
Premier/Roamio/Mini's can stream (MRS) content between themselves even with protected content - and this has been the case for quite a while.

S3 units cannot stream content - they can only move between units (MRV), that has not changed.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #193
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr50 View Post
Not to blow up the rest of your argument, but there's no way that cable companies pay $200 for a new DVR. Using the residual value of a used, older generation DVR on eBay is totally bogus. If you look at some of the earnings reports for companies like Pace, it seems like they're charging cable companies are around $350 for standard DVRs and closer to $500 for advanced ("multiroom") DVRs. Of course, it's hard to verify this exactly, but in Canada, you used to be able to buy these at electronics stores and prices were roughly in those ranges (the best ones were upwards of CAD 600).
I would agree, and even expected the prices to be another $50 higher. And everything I've seen indicates that the HD DVRs break down much more often than the SD models of anything. HD is more complicated and HD DVRs just haven't been around long enough to get all the kinks out.

I'm fine with the idea that the prices Comcast and others charge (though not Time-Warner) is reasonably close to break-even for them. They have a lot of overhead - customer support is much more expensive for them for instance. (I know my step-father calls Time-Warner every two weeks or so, and they come out every six weeks or so. Mostly his fault, though not always).
Old 08-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #194
gothaggis

is there a way to backup season passes from a premiere and transfer them to the roamio?
gothaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #195
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothaggis View Post
is there a way to backup season passes from a premiere and transfer them to the roamio?
Yes, both KMTTG and TiVo.com can do that... TiVo.com will not maintain your priority, but with this many tuners that issue should be mute.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmttg/
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #196
gothaggis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Yes, both KMTTG and TiVo.com can do that... TiVo.com will not maintain your priority, but with this many tuners that issue should be mute.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmttg/
Wow, thank you! I had no idea this program existed...have just been using pytivo.
gothaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #197
jmpage2

Quote:
Yes, both KMTTG and TiVo.com can do that... TiVo.com will not maintain your priority, but with this many tuners that issue should be mute moot.
Fixed. Normally not a grammar or spelling nazi but that one is a particular pet peeve of mine.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #198
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Fixed. Normally not a grammar or spelling nazi but that one is a particular pet peeve of mine.
Yeah... Something didn't look correct to me when I wrote it.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #199
ncbill

Anybody else have a problem with OTA tuner overload on the R-Basic?

I use a 2-bay outside UHF antenna w/ high-gain amplifier, with a 2-way splitter to feed upstairs & downstairs via the house built-in coax.

Roamio is upstairs and now can't tune the closest station (which I could receive with the proverbial bent paper clip) w/o pixilation (most transmitters are 35-60 miles away).

But reception issues seems to get worse over time - stations that are farther away and tuned in fine yesterday now can't be rec'd at all (i.e. "The Tivo cannot tune this channel" message)

I haven't rebooted the Roamio yet.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #200
GordonB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
Wow. If you don't mind saying, what state are you located in? How did you manage to get it paired without talking to a person?* Do you have a phone number you could supply?*

Thanks!

*EDIT: I see that you posted a link to the instructions earlier
I'm sure its also on the website, but additionally, if you have gone through guided setup prior to installing the card, the system "knows" you have FiOS. When the card is installed, the cable card screen will come up and will have the correct phone number to call and also have all the correct card info right there on the screen. With the automated paring process, installing the cable card is slick and easy.

Amy Pascal, then chief of Columbia Pictures, quoted in Los Angeles Times, May 5, 2002
GordonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #201
tvmaster2

Quote:
Premier/Roamio/Mini's can stream (MRS) content between themselves even with protected content - and this has been the case for quite a while.

S3 units cannot stream content - they can only move between units (MRV), that has not changed.
it's just transferring that is forbidden, depending on the copyright holder's wishes?
Old 08-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #202
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
it's just transferring that is forbidden, depending on the copyright holder's wishes?
Yes, when the content owner sets the cc bit at copy once - it can be recorded, but not transferred to another box.

On most cable providers it is set only for premium movie channels, I believe it is Time Warner that sets it for all content.

All content can be streamed, but only S4 and better models support that functionality.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #203
tvmaster2

Quote:
Yes, when the content owner sets the cc bit at copy once - it can be recorded, but not transferred to another box.

On most cable providers it is set only for premium movie channels, I believe it is Time Warner that sets it for all content.

All content can be streamed, but only S4 and better models support that functionality.
brilliant - thanks
Old 08-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #204
ScaryMike

Set up my new Roamio Plus and Tivo Mini yesterday. Everything went mostly without a hitch. CableCard re-pairing with Charter was fairly straight forward and quick.

I do have a weird issue though. When I go to look at signal strengths in the channel settings, it says that its not available because I don't have any digital channels.

Also, when I go to do a channel test through the cablecard menu, it says "No channels available".

ALL of my channels come in, including all my HD channels.
ScaryMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #205
sbiller

Anyone Agree on Cheap Plastic in the Roamio 4-Tuner?

http://www.amazon.com/review/R13NYDH...re=electronics

Quote:
1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Plastic, August 24, 2013
By Tim Whitfield
This review is from: TiVo TCD840500 Roamio HD Digital Video Recorder (Electronics)
I purchased directly from TiVo because, at the time, Amazon didn't have stock. Upon arrival, I unboxed immediately noticing how cheaply constructed it felt. Then I noticed 2 of the rubber feet were laying loose in the bag - obviously they had fallen off when it was packaged. Until the feet were glued back on the unit,it would not set level. My intuition told me this was going to be nothing but trouble!!

Returned to TiVo - I'm tired of being burned by consumer electronics companies.

Look to the Pro or Plus model. This version is cheap and disposable. The entire chassis is plastic and you can tell many corners have been cut. I'll just stay with my Premiere - at least it seems well made even if the software is and will always be inferior.

VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH THE LACK OF QUALITY!!!

sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #206
awsnyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I have never lost/misplaced a remote. Keys- yes.
Just rubber band your keys to your TiVo remote. Voila, problem solved!
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #207
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsnyde View Post
Just rubber band your keys to your TiVo remote. Voila, problem solved!
I don't lose things I use all the time. It is those things I store "where I'll be sure to remember where they are" that I can never find again :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #208
awsnyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
With that many tuners, nobody will be talking about the issue. Therefore, it may well be mute.
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #209
monkeydust

Not sure what difference it makes what the exterior is made of. You sit it on a shelf and usually only touch when dusting. Nobody complains that game consoles are plastic.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #210
MeInDallas

I know this wont be a big deal for most people, but I was just wondering when a program is recording, do you have the 4/6 red lights on the front panel to let you know how many programs are in progress of being recorded, or is there just that one big red light on the front and thats it? Thanks.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote