TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
thyname

Any tuning (black screen) problems reported with Roamio?

This problem is widely reported with Premiere 4 and tuning adapters, including myself. It basically means that tivo will fail to tune to channel occassionally and it will display a blank screen. A few channel Up Down moves will display the said channel.

Anybody has experienced this problem with Roamio?
thyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
moyekj

I get that problem occasionally with Elite but so far so good with Roamio. In fact signal strength & SNR numbers are high and RS corrected/uncorrected are low which is a good sign. But really need to give it a couple more weeks before claiming victory over that nasty Elite/XL4 issue. I have an inkling the tuner chip being used is no longer Maxlinear which would be a good thing.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
Goldwing2001
Goldwing2001

Black Screen

Yes, I'm seeing this issue on mine (Roamio Pro). This has happened on my previous Elite, but very rarely. I've been using the Roamio Pro for three days now and I have encountered black screens each day so far.
Goldwing2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

The one where you get the v56 error and have to reboot?

I just had that happen on my Elite again. Seems to be happening more frequently in the last few months.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
thyname

That is definitely a Tivo software problem, unfortunately never acknowledged by Tivo, who always blame the cable company. I have done everything that I could with Cox: changed TA and cable cards, checked the signal, lines, repair cc over and over, etc. It keeps happening. I am fed up with my P4, to the point of switching to Cox new 6 tuner dvr.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
grey ghost

Been playing it since yesterday morning(24/7) and I haven't seen any such black screen
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think the problem might have to do with watching/recording SDV channels. I just had it happen this morning. Yesterday I had intentionally switched all 4 tuners to an SDV channel just to verify they all worked because I was reading about how some cable companies are still using old firmware on their TAs.
Anyway I normally don't record many SDV channels because none of out HD channels are SDV, and I rarely record anything that's not HD. But it seems like the last few times this has happened it's been after I recorded something on an SDV channel, like SciFi.

When I get my Roamio Pro I'm going to set up a bunch of recordings on SDV channels and see if I can force it to get this problem. If it does I'll report back.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
MeInDallas

I hate to hear this is STILL going on! I was really hopeful that with the new hardware this wouldnt pop up again, or had gone away. I dont guess Tivo will ever acknowledge this issue. Well thank God I didnt buy one right off the bat, I've been itching all week to pull the trigger on one. I think ill wait until the base model goes down in price a little and get one for OTA, if I do that at all. Very disappointing news.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
MeInDallas

Just for kicks, I had set mine up with just the card card and no tuning adapter, unchecked all SDV channels, and just let it run that way for like a month, and the issue never happened, not one single time. Hooked up the tuning adpater again, put all my SDV channels back in the list, and withing a day it began happening again.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
I hate to hear this is STILL going on! I was really hopeful that with the new hardware this wouldnt pop up again, or had gone away. I dont guess Tivo will ever acknowledge this issue. Well thank God I didnt buy one right off the bat, I've been itching all week to pull the trigger on one. I think ill wait until the base model goes down in price a little and get one for OTA, if I do that at all. Very disappointing news.
I'm not sure it is. There are two black screen issues I've seen. This one, which really sucks and requires a full reboot, and one where when you turn on the TV for the first time you're presented with a black screen until you you hit a button on the remote. It's unclear which one the Goldwing is talking about.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
monkeydust

This issue sounds very similar to what I reported a few days ago. I haven't done any testing in a few days but last time I checked, all my channels I checked were working. Could be an issue that resolves itself over time or there is a systemic issue here that is becoming more evident with these six tuner machines.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
MeInDallas

Well I hope its not the same one I had. If thats what it is then it would be such a deal breaker for me. I'm still fighting with my XL4 almost on a daily basis.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

With the v56 error once it happens it does not resolve itself unless you manually reboot. So even if they just added a way for it to fix itself that's a step in the right direction. Although I hope this is just a misunderstanding and this issue isn't happening on the Roamio. I was really hoping this was a hardware issue and would be fixed with the new box.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
MeInDallas

The issue I have mainly seems like its something to do when the channels changes, like the tuning adapter or Tivo dont change in sync with one another, one changes faster than the other, then the Tivo thinks theres no signal there, so it gives an error. When it changes on my HTPC it changes so fast, like almost immediately, and it never gets an error. Then sometimes on the Tivo it gets to where it will not tune any channels at all, and I have to pull the power to the tuning adapter and Tivo, then turn it all back on again. That was my hope, that with new hardware and faster processor it wouldnt show its head again. I guess we need more info on whats going on.

I used to have it in my big TV room where I sit down to relax and watch everything, but I moved it to my office to where it doesnt matter. I just cant trust it anymore to record all my shows.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
thyname

I don't mind the problem when watching live tv. A quick channel up or down will fix the problem, and it will tune the channel I want in 2-3 tries. The big problem is when I set something to record and it records nothing, just blank.

And it happens to non- SDV channels, like AMC last Sunday with Breaking Bad.

This issues is heavily discussed here under Premiere section. I never had it with my old first generation 2 tuner Premiere. Only when I got the P4
Old 08-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #16
Goldwing2001
Goldwing2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I'm not sure it is. There are two black screen issues I've seen. This one, which really sucks and requires a full reboot, and one where when you turn on the TV for the first time you're presented with a black screen until you you hit a button on the remote. It's unclear which one the Goldwing is talking about.
The black screen issue I'm having is sometimes when changing channels (SDV channels) I get a black/blank screen. But, it I change to another channel, then change back to that channel i get a picture this time.
Goldwing2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:34 AM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

Ok good. That's not great, but it's better then the v56 error that requires a complete reboot of the TiVo to fix.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:56 AM   #18
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
That is definitely a Tivo software problem, unfortunately never acknowledged by Tivo, who always blame the cable company. I have done everything that I could with Cox: changed TA and cable cards, checked the signal, lines, repair cc over and over, etc. It keeps happening. I am fed up with my P4, to the point of switching to Cox new 6 tuner dvr.
Before you do, you should really research the new Cox 6 Tuner DVR,
Lots of complaints of missed recordings, 1 minute recordings, tuner unavailable, etc, etc...

http://forums.cox.com/forum_home/tv_forum/f/4.aspx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #19
thyname

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Before you do, you should really research the new Cox 6 Tuner DVR,
Lots of complaints of missed recordings, 1 minute recordings, tuner unavailable, etc, etc...

http://forums.cox.com/forum_home/tv_forum/f/4.aspx
Thanks for the post. I am aware of these problems as I read Cox Forums as well. I think the best thing to do is wait.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #20
jellyandtoast

Angry Problem with Base Roamio

I have a similar/peculiar problem.

I noticed that sometimes i'll be changing channels and it'll show an error message that it can't tune a certain channel (although signal strength is consistently strong in the signal test thing). Sometimes, pressing the LiveTV button resolves the issue because it switches to another tuner but sometimes it doesn't and requires a full restart. after the restart, everything seems to be fine.

I rebooted the Roamio 3 times yesterday and am this close to just giving up and returning it.

Has anyone seen this yet on their base (or other) Roamios?
jellyandtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #21
jellyandtoast

Update

I should mention that this is a V52 error and is becoming far too easy to replicate.

UPDATE: I spoke with TiVo support and they seem to think that it's a weak OTA signal coming into the box. I'm skeptical because I know most channels come in with a strong signal (as verified by TiVo's own signal meter in Settings).

They asked that I try a signal booster and report back. If it still persists, they'll swap out the box apparently.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #22
tomhorsley

On my Premier, if I have problems like this, I can go to the cable card diagnostics channel test screen and get flawless pictures on the same channels I get V52, not authorized, or sometimes just black screens on. The fact that the cable card test shows a perfect image, yet the TiVo can't tune to it in "normal" operation is what has me waiting for the mythical TiVo software update to come in someday and maybe fix things so they are no worse than before the 20.3 update arrived (and all these errors started).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #23
brianm729

This sounds very similar to an issue I've been having lately with my series 3 and now the Roamio. I was hoping the Roamio would fix this but apparently not. Some of my channels are not tunning and I get a V58 message or channel not available message. If I switch to a different tuner I can usually get it to tune. I have Comcast but no tunning adapter. I've never heard of a tunning adapter until I started researching here, but it seems Comcast doesn't use them? How would I know if I need one? At this point I wouldn't trust Comcast if I ask them. Any suggestions for me? Thanks
brianm729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #24
bwperez

I got my Tivo Romio today, threw in a 2GB harddrive and fired it up. Everything was great until later this evening when I tried channel surfing when guess what. I hit the V52 error message.

Searching for a signal on this channel. (v52)

I have figured out that the problem is if you are trying to use the 3rd tuner. I was able to reproduce the problem by recording two programs then changing to another channel. If I canceled one of the recordings I was then able to tune the channel it was complaining about.

Called up tivo and they are shipping me a replacement. I really suspect this is a software issue but I'll take the replacement all the same.

Brian
bwperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #25
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

This is disappointing news about the v52 and black screen issues happening with the Roamio units.

I was thinking about pulling the trigger for a pro + mini and get rid of my two Premieres. I'm extremely frustrated with the black screen issues on the Premiere. I was only thinking about moving to the pro + mini to get rid of the black screen issue.

A few weeks ago, sat down on Monday night to watch the True Blood and Ray Donovan episodes that recorded the night before. However, both the recordings were of black screens.

I'll wait to pull the trigger until the v52 and black screen issues have been resolved.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #26
bwperez

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs View Post
This is disappointing news about the v52 and black screen issues happening with the Roamio units.
Just for clarity sake. I'm using a Romio Basic with OTA antenna hooked up. I'm not using a cable card.

Brian
bwperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #27
thyname

From all the posts here, I think this is definitely a Tivo issue. It happens to almost everybody, with or without Tuning Adapter, even with OTA signal, sdv or not SDV channels.

The problem is Tivo does not acknowledge this. They have not for the past 8 months or so that I have been dealing with it with my Premiere 4. This is not acceptable! They kkep blaming my cable company.

I don't care about all the bells and whistles in my Tivo, I just want it to do the basic functions of a DVR, which is recording a show, and changing the channels.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #28
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
I don't care about all the bells and whistles in my Tivo, I just want it to do the basic functions of a DVR, which is recording a show, and changing the channels.
I been screaming and stomping my feet about that same thing since January 2012 when I got my first Elite/XL4 but it got me no where, so I just gave up. I dont know if Tivo will ever acknowledge or fix it.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #29
jellyandtoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
I been screaming and stomping my feet about that same thing since January 2012 when I got my first Elite/XL4 but it got me no where, so I just gave up. I dont know if Tivo will ever acknowledge or fix it.
so I take it they never even tried to provide any monetary concessions for all the trouble you've had?

what a sad state of affairs. I mean, if this is really an issue for a good chunk of people, it's really bad form for them not to acknowledge and try to fix it.

On my end, I'm going to try the signal amp they suggested but I'm highly skeptical that's the issue. if it doesn't work, I'm returning the box back to Amazon and cancelling my lifetime service.

what BS on the part of TiVo.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #30
jellyandtoast

Update

another update (for the benefit of others).

Last night I installed a signal booster to see if a weak signal was the root of the issue. but, the booster didn't help at all...

However, I noticed last night that it was only Tuner #2 that wouldn't tune channels. I went to the DVR diagnostics under settings and noticed that no matter what channel I was on, Tuners 0,1, and 3 constantly had a reliable lock on a signal, whereas Tuner 2 wouldn't tune anything. I restarted several times to see if Tuner 2 is just a dynamic label or if it's 'hard coded' to an actual tuner. it turns out that the latter was true. so in fact, it looks like (at least in my case) there is a defective tuner.

I called TiVo with this update and they suggested I just return it and get a new one.

I just ordered a new one and hope that the issue doesn't reappear.

Can anyone else check DVR statistics and see if all 4 tuners are picking up a signal (even on the weak signal channels)?