TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #31
ShayL

That is encouraging. I would be interesting if it can replace my slingbox. I doubt it, but it would be nice.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #32
Dan203
Super Moderator

You should be able to once it's released. Although there was a weird blurb about how outside the home streaming may be blocked by the copyright holder, so there could be some unforeseen limitation that could ruin it's utility. We'll have to wait and see what happens there.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #33
Dan203
Super Moderator

I just saw an interview with some guy from the WSJ who got to test the out of home streaming. He specifically mentioned that "some premium channels" don't want to let you stream outside the home. So it sounds like there is going to be a limitation on this. I wonder if it'll use the CCI bit or some other criteria to decide what can and cannot be streamed outside the home?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #34
ahwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I just saw an interview with some guy from the WSJ who got to test the out of home streaming. He specifically mentioned that "some premium channels" don't want to let you stream outside the home. So it sounds like there is going to be a limitation on this. I wonder if it'll use the CCI bit or some other criteria to decide what can and cannot be streamed outside the home?
I read the same interview and I suspect that by "Premium Channels" he was referring to pay channels such as "HBO", "Showtime", etc. Otherwise, "Out of home streaming" would be practically worthless since MOST channels for me at least are marked as copy once. I pasted another beta tester's comments below:

Another problem: Some premium networks, like HBO and Showtime, couldn't be streamed out of the home. TiVo explains this is because of the networks' polices, over which it has no control. But the TiVo app, like others out there, could include an authentication feature that would tell these networks you subscribe to them, which typically allows you to stream them to a mobile device.

Last edited by ahwman : 08-23-2013 at 10:47 PM.
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #35
Dan203
Super Moderator

So do you think TiVo has direct deals with various networks to block or allow streaming? Or do you think these testers just happen to live in areas where the cable company only blocks the premium channels?
Old 08-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #36
ahwman

Quote:
So do you think TiVo has direct deals with various networks to block or allow streaming? Or do you think these testers just happen to live in areas where the cable company only blocks the premium channels?
It's hard to say since neither TiVo nor beta testers are clear as to what will be allowed. I even emailed Margret@tivo.com and she wasn't sure how it would work. That said, I'm thinking that premium channels carry a special identifier which would disable streaming for that particular channel. Perhaps we can direct this question to one of the beta testers for clarification. The selling point of out of home streaming is in jeopardy if all copy once channels are blocked. Quite honestly, it amazes me how these content providers get away with locking down their programming so tight, what are they so afraid of? The world will end if you and I stream a rerun of Giligan's Island to our iPads...
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:00 AM   #37
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayL View Post
I would be interesting if it can replace my slingbox. I doubt it, but it would be nice.
I'd like to reduce the number of things networked in my house and connected to my televisions also but don't think it will happen any time soon given my experience with the Stream and TiVo.
Quote:
He specifically mentioned that "some premium channels" don't want to let you stream outside the home.
This is why I expect to be still using my Slingbox and Vulkano through 2015. The Stream will be a faster way to get some content on my mobile device but not for streaming from my TiVo.

Sorry for sounding like a Debbie Downer and I really hope I'm wrong.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:06 AM   #38
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwman View Post
I'm thinking that premium channels carry a special identifier which would disable streaming for that particular channel.
No such identifier exists. There are basically 3 flags in CableCARD DRM. Copy Freely, Copy Once and Copy Never. Copy Freely is self explianatory. Copy Once means a DVR can record one copy, but after that the flag is changed to Copy No More. Copy Never allows a show to be recorded but it can only be retained for 90 minutes then it has to be automatically deleted.

So unless TiVo can maintain some sort of list of channels and flag the guide data the only way they can block anything is based on the Copy Once flag. And if they do that then it's basically no different then the Download option except that you don't actually have to download anything.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:38 AM   #39
spaldingclan

Glad I'm ota only. Don't even think about cci stuff
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:55 AM   #40
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaldingclan View Post
Glad I'm ota only. Don't even think about cci stuff
It's illegal for cable companies to protect anything transmitted OTA even if it's rebroadcast on cable, so cable users always have access to the same channels you do. What they may not have access to are all the other channels they pay for. Most cable companies only protect the premium channels, but some are d*cks and protect everything.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #41
SugarBowl

I imagine companies that provide their own streaming solution will not allow this (HBO Go, WatchESPN, etc).

The Time Warner Cable streaming services do not provide these channels.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #42
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayL View Post
Didn't the prerelease reviewers test the out of home streaming?
ON A TIVO STREAM AS I SAID A FEW MESSAGES UP.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #43
wco81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Achteck View Post
According to the WSJ review, that would be October or November for out of home going live so presumably we will know then about DTA for the Premiere.
November would be disappointing.

Really looking forward to the feature, because otherwise, the app. on the iPad is really well done.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote