TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 4.90 average.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #451
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by amseven11 View Post
I tried to look for internal temperature but its not in the system info, I scrolled all the way to bottom and nothing.

Anyways this shows you can upgrade after setting it up (you do have to setup everything again from scratch after replacing the hard drive).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
Thats really strange. I cant remember if they all had it, but the most recent ones I remember. Wonder why they took it off?
Temp is listed in System Information as MBT: 45

MBT (Mother Board Temp) is listed right above Remote Address:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #452
amseven11

With the stock drive hooked up and booting off the live partition magic disc this is the result...

amseven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #453
amseven11

Mbt: 42
Old 08-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #454
MeInDallas

Quote:
Mbt: 42
Not bad at all!! Thanks!!
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #455
MeInDallas

As far as whats on the drive, I think Tivo is just throwing blank drives in the boxes, I could be wrong.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #456
lpwcomp

Quote:
With the stock drive hooked up and booting off the live partition magic disc this is the result...
Thanks. So a totally blank disk. I assume this is the one you never set up.

Any chance you do the same for the stock disk you did set up? Of course , it would also be nice to see one of the 2TB's and DVRBars of both of them but I don't really want to ask that of you. You've done an awful lot already.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #457
Kolenka

Quote:
As far as whats on the drive, I think Tivo is just throwing blank drives in the boxes, I could be wrong.
Since the second 1TB drive was run through setup, could always plug that in and see if it is still marked as unallocated.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #458
amseven11

Sure thing guys, I'll hook up the 500GB drive that DID go through the setup. I don't want to take out the 2TB drives because of laziness for lack of a better excuse lol I'm super hyped they are both upgraded and ready when ever Charter decides to come over

Photo to follow shortly of stock drive that was setup.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #459
lpwcomp

Quote:
Certainly appears that way, at least with the Basic.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #460
amseven11

ok guys (and girls) after doing the same with with stock drive that did go through setup it read exactly the same. unallocated with the same space as well. I didn't take a photo because it's identical to the previous photo. What that means? I have no clue lol
Old 08-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #461
cherry ghost

How's it going to work if one doesn't upgrade immediately and has recordings they want to move to the upgrade drive? What if CableCards are already installed before the upgrade? I know these can't be answered yet.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #462
MeInDallas

Quote:
ok guys (and girls) after doing the same with with stock drive that did go through setup it read exactly the same. unallocated with the same space as well. I didn't take a photo because it's identical to the previous photo. What that means? I have no clue lol
Are you using just a disc of Partition Magic, or are you using Ultimate Boot CD?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #463
amseven11

from everything I can tell you can't yet move recording to a drive unless some sort of tool is created? But once you insert a new drive it did make me go through all the setup steps again.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #464
innocentfreak

Would Partition Magic see the TiVo Partitions?

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #465
amseven11

Quote:
Are you using just a disc of Partition Magic, or are you using Ultimate Boot CD?
Just a bootable disc Partition Magic disc, and I write the files to my RAM to boot with nothing hooked up SATA other then the Tivo drive.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #466
amseven11

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Would Partition Magic see the TiVo Partitions?
It should? It always has seen my directiv hard drives.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #467
Dan203
Super Moderator

Hmmm... Two possibilities...

1) Whatever software you're using isn't reading the drive right

2) All the settings and data are stored on the flash and the only reason it made you repeat setup is because it detected you had inserted a different drive.

If it's #2 I wonder if it's keyed to the SN of the drive? If it is then you may never be able to copy shows from one drive to another.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #468
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
What the heck do you think DVRBars runs on, a toaster?

I for one would love for him to boot up some flavor of a linux utility disk and get a partition map if there is one. If there isn't one, it isn't likely that there is any point to running DVRBars.

With a reported capacity of 316 hours, it seems at least that they have finally reduced the amount of space allocated for TiVos use to a reasonable amount, thus making "supersize" unnecessary.
Unless TiVo started using a partition and filesystem scheme that a PC with Windows ALONE using DISK MANAGER, can see, you need DVRBARS. Just like you'd use WinMFS, and not the PC's Operating System alone, but boot Windows and use WinMFS, or in this case, boot Windows and use DVRBARS.

The author of DVRBARS is fully interested in a drive backup, EVEN IF THE DRIVE SEEMS TO BE EMPTY, as well as the same drive, after it has been booted and set-up.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-23-2013 at 11:59 PM. Reason: PM sent to me persuaded me to edit out a few comments
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #469
MeInDallas

Quote:
Just a bootable disc Partition Magic disc, and I write the files to my RAM to boot with nothing hooked up SATA other then the Tivo drive.
Well, surely Tivo didnt change the file system to an unrecognizeable file type I know Motorola DCX3501M's have an unrecognizeable file system so hmmm, this is odd.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #470
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I can boot with partition magic and check out the stock hard drive. Give me a few minute to drag the PC up here and set it up. I will take a photo to show whatever is there (if anything).
Partition Magic is not capable of recognizing TiVo partitions/filesystems (unless TiVo changed to one of the widely used, non-proprietary ones).

That being said, if we go with that TiVo tradition, NONE of the retail/downloadable/free partition management tools will recognize it correctly, unless it's Linux-based and the right tool for the job. Even commercial software that runs on Linux usually can't handle a TiVo structure. It's only RAW copy (sector by sector) tools that can copy or backup such things (since it doesn't care what is there, or isn't there, or if it recognizes it as a valid filesystem or partition, it just copies, even if the whole drive is blank).

Just to be clear, when I was talking about WinMFS, that's an old tool, which ran under Windows, for older TiVos, which predate the Premiere, and didn't work with the Premiere's altered structure.

DVRBARS is the new Windows-based software for dealing virtually any TiVo ever made. The author would like to make sure the software doesn't need any updates for the new products. There's only one way to help him with that. He gives us this awesome tool, FOR FREE, and at his expense. I've already spelled out what he's looking for a few times now.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-23-2013 at 11:13 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #471
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Thanks. So a totally blank disk. I assume this is the one you never set up.

Any chance you do the same for the stock disk you did set up? Of course , it would also be nice to see one of the 2TB's and DVRBars of both of them but I don't really want to ask that of you. You've done an awful lot already.
Partition Magic will very likely also identify it as blank. PM has never been able to handle/identify proprietary filesystems.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #472
amseven11

Is there a different software I should try? I have no problem giving it a shot
Old 08-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #473
MeInDallas

You need to get Ultimate Boot CD, it has a ton of useful programs on it.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
Old 08-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #474
ydc

Hmmmm. I know that with Linux volume manager (LVM), you can also add an entire unpartitioned drive to the volume. I wonder if they're using some scheme like that? Not necessarily LVM but many something similar?
ydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #475
MeInDallas

You can try to go into Copywipe, and hit F6 and it should display the partitions, size of them, and what format they are, I've done that before.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #476
amseven11

Quote:
You can try to go into Copywipe, and hit F6 and it should display the partitions, size of them, and what format they are, I've done that before.
Is that on ultimate boot cd? Nevermind I found it, is there a bootable version?
Old 08-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #477
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
It should? It always has seen my directiv hard drives.
DirecTiVo drives have always been a bird of a different feather.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #478
MeInDallas

Quote:
Is that on ultimate boot cd?
Yes it is. You will get to the main screen, and see HDD and hit that, then wiping, and then you will see Copywipe. Once the program boots up you will see BIOS drives, and then like youre going to wipe it, and then hit F6 for the drive to display partitions, then just ESC back out of it all after you take a pic, if you need to.

Yes that is a bootable CD.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #479
ydc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Partition Magic will very likely also identify it as blank. PM has never been able to handle/identify proprietary filesystems.
I guess it's been many many years since I've used Partition Magic. I could very well see that it might not recognize the file system but recognizing disk partitions is much more basic than that. Maybe they've switched over to a Guid partition structure like Apple?

Just throwing out possibilities here....
ydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #480
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Why is everybody pushing for use of tools, that when used by somebody unfamiliar with them, could nuke the whole darn thing?

DVRBARS running within Windows can BACK UP the drive.

Then it is safe to fiddle away with tools that have strong potential for corrupting the disk.

If a backup is made, FIRST, then there is a backup ready to quickly restore the drive to as it was.

This push is just reckless disregard for safety, in the name of impatience!

For those who don't know already, DVRBARS takes very little time to backup a TiVo drive that has never been booted, and compresses down to sizes that can fit on small USB thumbdrives. It's also fast on a booted drive, but the size of the backup increases, as more data on the drive is changed and written to it.