TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
rspike

Tivo Stream Outside of Home Network?

Anybody know when TiVo Stream will allow me to watch my TiVo when I'm outside of my home network? I've heard that it's in the works, and it would be great to use right within my TiVo App instead of having to rely on my SlingBox to accomplish this.
rspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
NAMLOOT

Just saw this on the TiVo website. I too am curious on a release date. Was contemplating buying a slingbox.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
NAMLOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

Their CEO said in an interview that it would "light up this Fall". So no exact date, but should be in the next few months.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Their CEO said in an interview that it would "light up this Fall". So no exact date, but should be in the next few months.
And so the Tivo Stream will be able to steam outside home network? It's not just the new boxes, right?
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yes. The standalone Stream and the new boxes with built in streaming use the exact same chip. Also Engadget claimed to have tested a beta version of the software on a standalone Stream.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
buscuitboy

I know the Stream can be used with Apple devices (& hopefully Android someday in the NEAR future), but in addition to being able to use a Stream with iOS, can it be used with a standard PC/laptop somehow? Maybe in a Mozilla, IE, or Chrome browser window?

Last edited by buscuitboy : 08-22-2013 at 09:03 AM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I know the Stream can be used with Apple devices (& hopefully Android someday in the NEAR future), but in addition to being able to use a Stream with iOS, can it be used with a standard PC/laptop somehow? Maybe in a Mozilla, IE, or Chrome browser window?
I'd love that too... I'm on my 11" MacBook Air a lot more these days than I'm on my iPad...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
There is no app for PC that will replicate what can be done with IOS.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
Lenonn

I could see my father using this feature if he could stream from the living room to his hotel room on business trips. But, he doesn't have any iOS devices. Still, I look forward to seeing this in action someday.
Lenonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #10
NAMLOOT

Any updates on this?
Old 09-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

It's not Fall yet, and they didn't say which year.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
buscuitboy

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yes. The standalone Stream and the new boxes with built in streaming use the exact same chip. Also Engadget claimed to have tested a beta version of the software on a standalone Stream.
Any chance this feature will also work with a 4-tuner Premiere? Or does it look like it will be a Roamio feature only?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
mdscott

Quote:
Any chance this feature will also work with a 4-tuner Premiere? Or does it look like it will be a Roamio feature only?
The Premiere requires the separate TiVoStream box (as does the base 4 tuner Roamio)
Old 09-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #14
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
And the separate TiVo Stream is said to be getting this feature.

So yes, as far as we've been told, and as far as the reviews have indicated, this feature WILL also work with 2 and 4-tuner Premieres.

...whenever it comes out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 09-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #15
NAMLOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
It's not Fall yet, and they didn't say which year.
A boy can dream........
Old 09-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #16
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

How much does the iPad remote w/Stream mimic the physical thing? The huge plus for me vs the cable DVRs is that feeling when I hit play after FF and landing within a few seconds on where I want to start and I am worried that may not be there with the stream. If it is the same experience or pretty dang close (I know it can't be as good as the real thing) and when the out of network is released I will not doubt plop down my money and get a stream instantly (sans any major life crisis happening at the time).

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #17
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Works pretty damn well in my experience. We'll see if that continues when outside the LAN. It's got "native" control, very nice UI. It's certainly a LOT better than a Slingbox, I'll say, which relies on IR blasters and executing the commands on the (transcoded) on-screen menu display. That feels like a (somewhat slow) kludge. Amazing that it works at all, really. TiVo's taken their sweet time but in my opinion, their execution of this functionality is more elegant.

Now we just need to hope they figure out adaptive streaming (so it works well on slow connections and looks great on fast ones.) And clients for platforms other than iOS (like Android, Windows Phone, Mac and PC) would be great to see too.

Last edited by Fofer : 09-05-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #18
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
How much does the iPad remote w/Stream mimic the physical thing? The huge plus for me vs the cable DVRs is that feeling when I hit play after FF and landing within a few seconds on where I want to start and I am worried that may not be there with the stream. If it is the same experience or pretty dang close (I know it can't be as good as the real thing) and when the out of network is released I will not doubt plop down my money and get a stream instantly (sans any major life crisis happening at the time).
Streaming, yeah it can be slow..

But that's why you can also DOWNLOAD a show too. I have no idea if this will still be true when outside the home, though I personally hope it will be. As I've said before, I *do* download the vast majority of the time (but I also have made use of streaming, sometimes when my iPad was too full to download another show)... MOSTLY for this very reason -- better skip/rewind responsiveness.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #19
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

So if you download, do you still watch in app and use in app for the trick play?

S2 526 HR - Lifetime

Old 09-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #20
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes. But downloading is only an option for shows that don't have the CCI flag set (ie: are not limited to "copy once.") At least with my cable provider (TWC) that's a very small selection of channels (the big 5 networks, I think.) The rest of the recordings can only be streamed.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #21
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Yes. But downloading is only an option for shows that don't have the CCI flag set (ie: are not limited to "copy once.") At least with my cable provider (TWC) that's a very small selection of channels (the big 5 networks, I think.) The rest of the recordings can only be streamed.
Thanks Fofer! Bummer for you as the only CCI flag I have seen (FiOS) was on HBO. I think all my other recordings don't have that, but then again maybe I have no tried to download Suits from USA.

S2 526 HR - Lifetime

Old 09-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #22
bayern_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Same on Cablevision! It's a bummer
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #23
Joe Siegler

I'm antenna only, and oddly enough the video podcasts I download (from places like CNet & Revision 3) on my TiVo can't be copied from one TiVo box to another. Always found that to be bizarre.

I'm gonna assume these won't be doable either if I can't copy it from one TiVo to another in my own house.

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #24
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
I'm antenna only, and oddly enough the video podcasts I download (from places like CNet & Revision 3) on my TiVo can't be copied from one TiVo box to another. Always found that to be bizarre.

I'm gonna assume these won't be doable either if I can't copy it from one TiVo to another in my own house.
Even the "Welcome to Tivo" videos that Tivo creates themselves can't be copied. It makes no sense. It's no wonder why Tivo never really caught on with the masses. They go out of their way to make it hard for people to know about them.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #25
Dan203
Super Moderator

Nothing that is "pushed" to a TiVo can be copied. It's like it has some built in CCI flag. Even if you push something yourself using pyTiVo it'll be blocked from being transferred again.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #26
mattack

Wait, are podcasts pushed to a Tivo? I thought nightly a tivo checked for new podcasts.. but sort of arguing against myself, it ALSO seems like deleting a podcast entry often gets it to download more podcasts..

I tend to still download a bunch of CNET video podcasts, but now virtually always watch them on my iPad instead since I can watch at 2x.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #27
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think if you set em up via the podcast app then they are pushed by TiVo's servers. Not 100% sure though. I know if you set them up via TiVo Desktop they're pushed, but I don't think anyone uses that method any more. (It never quite worked right anyway)
Old 09-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #28
Joe Siegler

I call them video podcasts, but that might not be the "proper term" for them.

I'm referring to things like "The Apple Byte" from CNet, or "HD Nation" from Revision 3. If you search for them in the search function you'll find them and they can get added to the download manager.

Technically it's a video file coming from the CNet server from an rss feed that TiVo then delivers to your box. Is that push? I don't know, but those are the kinds of things I'm referring to.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #29
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think the way it works it is a push. It not about how the TiVo downloads it, it's about how the request for the download is sent to the TiVo. But again I'm not 100% positive. I just seem to remember reading something about that being the way it worked. I could be misremembering.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #30
Joe Siegler

Yeah, I'm not sure about the bits and pieces on how TiVo (the service) gets the video to my TiVo (box).

I know the original source material at Rev3 & CNet exists as video podcasts on an RSS. That's about the only thing I'm positive about.