TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #151
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
It still takes way too long for it to boot up even with this updated hardware.
Can you please give me a *number*? Is it *BETTER* than the Premiere 4? (Which I said is a lot better than S3/TivoHD.. I was AMAZED at how my S1s booted the last time I used them.. But then again, they're glacially slow getting into Now Playing if you have an expanded hard drive.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #152
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Can you please give me a *number*? Is it *BETTER* than the Premiere 4? (Which I said is a lot better than S3/TivoHD.. I was AMAZED at how my S1s booted the last time I used them.. But then again, they're glacially slow getting into Now Playing if you have an expanded hard drive.)
I believe the slow boot is due to the security checks because of the previous ability to prom hack. Or at least this is what I have read before and this is how TiVo blocked it so the Premiere line couldn't be hacked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #153
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I have tested transfers with the base unit and speeds are about the same as the premiere. About 85mbit pytivo to Roamio. It's limited by its 100mbit port.
You can still do transport stream and NON-transport stream, I hope?

Since tivodecode doesn't work (reliably) with Transport Stream downloads.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #154
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I believe the slow boot is due to the security checks because of the previous ability to prom hack. Or at least this is what I have read before and this is how TiVo blocked it so the Premiere line couldn't be hacked.
I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me -- the Premieres are WAY FASTER in booting. I think you're saying that the S3/TivoHD are so slow _because_ of extra checks.

I don't care, I just am curious as to how fast the new ones boot.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #155
innocentfreak

Quote:
I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me -- the Premieres are WAY FASTER in booting. I think you're saying that the S3/TivoHD are so slow _because_ of extra checks.

Yes they are way faster, but still slower than they could be due to the security checks.

This is why I don't expect the Roamio to boot much faster since you can only speed up those security checks so much.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #156
rlcarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
I have a Premiere XL and a S3. The Roamio has a new cablecard which I activated yesterday using the web site.
Where on the Verizon/FiOS website is the CableCARD stuff, especially activation and pairing? (And ordering one, for that matter...)
rlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #157
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcarr View Post
Where on the Verizon/FiOS website is the CableCARD stuff, especially activation and pairing? (And ordering one, for that matter...)
FiOS has it under add/change equipment. They charge $20 to ship so you are better off calling to order one for pickup at your local Verizon store, not wireless store. My store always requires a order to pick one up so if you don't call you will need to call in store. When you get the card, they will give you a sheet with the info and web address and phone number to do the pairing.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:04 AM   #158
grey ghost

I'm doing my first Tivo install tomorrow and I'm nervous as all get out. Went to Comcast today to pick up my cable card. They gave me a "naked" card without a single piece of information about anything. No phone numbers for pairing, no instructions, nothing......Fortunately I've read both here and Comcast support about the phone numbers. I'm very worried that this is a "reject" card that has been tried before, but there's nothing I can do about it til my new Roamio arrives and the card fails
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #159
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
This should help:

http://www.verizon.com/Support/Resid...cablecards.htm
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #160
Hi8
TiVoPro - wanabe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
I'm doing my first Tivo install tomorrow and I'm nervous as all get out. Went to Comcast today to pick up my cable card. They gave me a "naked" card without a single piece of information about anything. No phone numbers for pairing, no instructions, nothing......Fortunately I've read both here and Comcast support about the phone numbers. I'm very worried that this is a "reject" card that has been tried before, but there's nothing I can do about it til my new Roamio arrives and the card fails
they probably figured it would help you get it working any faster than trying to get it working without instructions.

my experience with Comcast & cable cards is the problems are ALWAYS on their side of it. If you really want to watch a show, wait till they send a technician out to your house! It's like watching training class 101. They kinda look at the CC like it's the first time they ever saw one. Probably because it might be.

Good Luck ... it will eventually work perfectly for a long time, once it's paired "Properly".

(3) TiVo THX HD S3
(1) Roamio - Basic 3TB
(1) PremiereXL4 & (1) TiVo Mini
Hi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #161
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Here is a FiOS PDF that has the phone number, website address, and what info you will need to enter to get the cable cards paired.

http://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/pub...cable_d97e.pdf
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #162
ginginlala

If it is helpful for anyone in my situation:

I have Verizon FiOS and the plan was to take the CableCard from my Premiere, install it in the new Roamio, and do the FiOS automated setup (I'm selling the Premiere).

This went flawlessly without FiOS intervention EXCEPT I couldn't access HBO after setup (the rest of my premium channels came through just fine). This was resolved very quickly by contacting FiOS tech support, supplying card/host/data ID, etc.

The Roamio is across the board a dramatic upgrade!
ginginlala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #163
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginginlala View Post

I have Verizon FiOS and the plan was to take the CableCard from my Premiere, install it in the new Roamio, and do the FiOS automated setup (I'm selling the Premiere).

This went flawlessly without FiOS intervention EXCEPT I couldn't access HBO after setup (the rest of my premium channels came through just fine). This was resolved very quickly by contacting FiOS tech support, supplying card/host/data ID, etc.

That was because the Cable cards were not paired. On FiOS, HBO and Cinemax channels are restricted and will not show up unless the cable cards are paired to the TiVo. (The other premium channels are fine without a paired cable card.)

Not sure if there are any other channels that require pairing now, other than the FiOS pairing test channels. But until fairly recently this was not an issue. Cable cards did not need to be paired on FiOS until sometime last year or early this year.

But at least the pairing process has been painless the five times I've done it since I did not need to interact with a person. It was fully automated.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #164
anthonymoody

Finally pulled the trigger on a Plus, upgraded to 2TB from WK. Been suffering my Cv motorola 8300 for faaaaaaaaaar too long. The promo code was only $25 though. Wasn't it higher a day or two ago?

Am somewhat worried that channel/app based services from apple, intel and the like and/or eventual Cablevision app on the ps4 and/or elegant pass through via XBO will render the need for a cable box of any kind moot. That said, I figure even if they launch and are robust and attractive they may not have true DVR capability. (I guess if everything becomes available for streaming just after airing that could solve that however).
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #165
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Finally pulled the trigger on a Plus, ... The promo code was only $25 though. Wasn't it higher a day or two ago
No, the Weaknees Plus discount was always $25. The Pro discount is $40.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #166
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
No, the Weaknees Plus discount was always $25. The Pro discount is $40.
Ah! Okay thanks. I must've been thinking of that. So I guess my initial feedback is that I appreciate the built in storage upgrade, discount, and free shipping
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #167
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginginlala View Post

Did you use the website to set up the card or the automated phone number?
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #168
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
Did you use the website to set up the card or the automated phone number?
I don't know what the poster used, but I used the website and it was quick and easy.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #169
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Finally pulled the trigger on a Plus, .........The promo code was only $25 though. Wasn't it higher a day or two ago?
What is the promo code?
trip1eX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #170
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
What is the promo code?
ROAMIO
ROAMIOPLUS
ROAMIOPRO

Old 08-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #171
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
ROAMIO
ROAMIOPLUS
ROAMIOPRO
Thanks. I had googled it and came up with RoamioTivos for a promo code and it didn't work.
trip1eX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #172
mattack

Quote:

I haven't read the other responses since yesterday.. But at the moment, it's actually MORE than just curiosity, since last night my Premiere 4 rebooted while recording for one of the very few times. It was a rerun of the Tonight Show at the time, so I didn't care, but at other times, I would care.. Also, the reboot was actually way slower than I remembered it. (But still not as glacial as S3/TivoHD)
Old 08-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #173
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
I've never gotten information about anything. Just the cards, though usually they come in a pointless plastic sleeve/case.

The Tivo will tell you the phone # to call. Though unfortunately, it will actually tell you (IIRC) the 1800 COMCAST number, NOT the "direct" CableCard setup #, which I don't have handy. The regular # will usually work, the direct Cablecard line may be more helpful/knowledgeable.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #174
brianric

Quote:
I've never gotten information about anything. Just the cards, though usually they come in a pointless plastic sleeve/case.

The Tivo will tell you the phone # to call. Though unfortunately, it will actually tell you (IIRC) the 1800 COMCAST number, NOT the "direct" CableCard setup #, which I don't have handy. The regular # will usually work, the direct Cablecard line may be more helpful/knowledgeable.
877-405-2298 is the CC number.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #175
Goldwing2001
Goldwing2001

I just set-up my Roamio Pro. Called Time Warner to pair my cable card / tuning adapter from my old tivo onto my new one. I was up and running in 20 min.
Goldwing2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:09 AM   #176
aaronwt
HD Addict

I haven't heard anyone mention the remote finder on the Roamio Plus and the Roamio Pro. Do any owners have any thoughts on that feature?
Old 08-24-2013, 02:50 AM   #177
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I haven't heard anyone mention the remote finder on the Roamio Plus and the Roamio Pro. Do any owners have any thoughts on that feature?
No use for it here. However my Sister has kids and they're always hiding the remote from her and each other, so for her it would be great. Unfortunately she only has HDs so not an option for her. I've thought about getting her a Roamio but we still have analog stations here and she wouldn't be able to do without them. (Almost all of the kids stations are still analog only)
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:32 AM   #178
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochance View Post
Please say it isn't so. I've turned off 1080p24 on my Premiere and Netflix still blinks out all of the time. It drives me nuts. So nuts in fact, that if they don't fix this, I don't think I'll upgrade. I use Netflix all the time and 10-20 blink outs in a 30 minute program is ridiculous.
When I use Netflix on my Premiers it frequently blinks out. It's one of the reasons I hate using Netflix on TiVo. What is the cause of this? The TiVo not passing the correct frame rate to the TV?

Thanks!
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:37 AM   #179
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

...But at least the pairing process has been painless the five times I've done it since I did not need to interact with a person. It was fully automated.
Wow. If you don't mind saying, what state are you located in? How did you manage to get it paired without talking to a person?* Do you have a phone number you could supply?*

Thanks!

*EDIT: I see that you posted a link to the instructions earlier
Old 08-24-2013, 04:55 AM   #180
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
Initial thoughts:

-Unboxing and setup were uneventful. About 60 minutes from the hands of the UPS driver to watching live TV. I was replacing a Premiere so all cables were in place. This time includes activating a cablecard. ...
Did you happen to notice if the power cord (where it plugs into the back of the TiVo) is like the Premiere (can be inserted regardless of direction) or if it can only be inserted one way like on the S3 boxes?

I'm curious because I have the Premiere's power cord behind a wide, heavy rack, plugged into a surge protector, and it would be a pain to rerun it

Thanks!