TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #31
norahs99

My OnDemand download was working until...

I switched from DSL to cable internet. Now I'm getting the same download error message that everyone else is getting. I didn't use the OnDemand download much because my DSL speed was so slow (~1-1.5mbps!), but with the relatively speedy cable internet, I was looking forward to taking advantage of this feature more often. But after all this, it's clear that's not to be. It's also becoming clearer that neither DirecTV (understandably) nor Tivo (inexplicably) are interested in solving problems for those of us who want to use this machine. I like DirecTV and don't want to go to cable, but I like TiVo more. So if ultimately if I have to choose, I'll say good-bye to DirecTV and go to cable so I can use standalone TiVo boxes.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #32
robroy1948

THR22 On Demand Download Issues Resolved

Please read my previous entries on 8/19 & 8/21 above in this thread.

All On Demand is working perfectly now

I stress tested On Demand by downloading 25 hours non-stop of 24 HBO Episodes, 4 each from 6 different series and 1 PPV 2 hour Cinema Movie, while simultaneously watching recorded shows in the Now Playing List and also recording 2, 2 hour movies via Satellite simultaneously on 2 Tuners.

All recorded flawlessly without a hint of a problem with perfect HD video playback. Of course I just sampled a small portion of each download and Satellite Recordings .

I called the Oklahoma Tech Support Center around 12AM today and asked what was the issue and how was it resolved. The Tech admitted there was never an On Demand Download problem or issue with the THR22 or other DirecTV DVRs (HR22 thru HR44) which some were also having the same issue. She said that my detailed ticket which was escalated to the engineers on 8/18 was the issue and was always on their end never on the customer's end except for those with improperly configured Home Networks.

She also apologized for all the misinformation and lack of knowledge at the other Regional Tech Support Centers. She said their center (OK) has a huge number of customers who only call their center as I do.

Due to my nature I will be calling back to the Oklahoma Tech Support Center to follow up on exactly what the issue was and what was done to resolve it.

I will post if and when I get the answer for those of you who would like to know the details.

Rob

THR-22, direct wired Ethernet connection 12Mbps, Premier Package. Always use the Oklahoma Tech support Center.

Customer since 1994

robroy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #33
midas
I heard that

Rob, funny that you posted this today. Just this morning I tried again, for the first time in months. And it worked.

So I do want to thank you for your efforts. I too would like to know what the issue was since, at one point, it did work in the past.
midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:31 AM   #34
NGeorge

Yay! Back working here as well...

I'd be curious what the issue is as well... I get the feeling that the THR-22 is sort of a "frankenstein" box--and that these breaks happened because they updated something for their non-Tivo boxes, forgot to test on the THR and broke On Demand.

Just from looking at the interface, it looks like the On Demand side of things is ported over from D*'s own software and probably has some sort of code translation going on to get the Tivo side of things to work with it (otherwise it would seem we'd have the Tivo On-Demand interface that they wrote for Comcast on the Premier--which works quite well I might add--they basically funnel all of Comcast's content into the Tivo interface)

This is the second "extended outage" of On Demand since the box launched 18 months ago -- the first time it went out for a good 8 months until they released a new software fix... then it broke just a couple months after the new software was out, but in a different way (before it was timing out -- this time it was doing the error/delete thing)

I really do like my THR-22... but it's painfully obvious that this is a practically unsupported product unless enough people bitch.

Nat
NGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #35
Cezzium

New Tivo Arrived

Well my TIVO is here and I'm waiting for the software update to download and install so I am checking the forums ...

Interesting to see an update. It did not even occur to me to do that before hand. Maybe could have saved something.

We all suspect there is something "in the code" that causes issues.

If nothing else I am keeping the shiny new remote!

c
Cezzium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #36
robroy1948

Cezzium

This is the latest THR22 Update from May 2013.

Firmware update: 01B5 Previous Firmware: 018A

Again the issue was never with the THR22 Hardware or the Firmware Updates. I am not even going to speculate at this time what the issue was, though I do agree that "in the code" seems to be the most logical cause.

I'll take a new remote also as a backup!

Rob

THR-22, direct wired Ethernet connection 12Mbps, Premier Package. Always use the Oklahoma Tech support Center.

Customer since 1994

Old 08-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #37
Cezzium

Works Now (of course)

Just got back

downloads like a dream.

Rob is correct I believe and had they given me good information it would have saved alot of hassle.

However, if DTV really wanted me to have a new unit I guess that is okay. It does lead one to wonder if there is some part of the high cost we pay to pay for all these tech support people who have no clue and waste dollars sending out stuff.

oh well,

now to reprogram all my season passes.

celia
Cezzium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #38
robroy1948

THR22 Rebooting

Per my previous post on 8/23 my THR22 On Demand features are still working flawlessly on all On Demand Channels. I was give it a few more days without issues before calling the Oklahoma Tech Support Center and find out was at the root of the issue and how was it resolved.

Now to address the random rebooting/restarts of the THR22.

I had noticed this happening first in early fall with my old Hughes SD Tivo. Directv corrected it then and refunded all Tivo users HD and SD versions $10.

After waiting over a year from the date that Directv released the THR22 to the world. I installed the THR22. I waited so the THR22 would have at least a year to mature in the wild to shake out the bugs that are inherent in newly end user devices which are this complex.

The way you can tell if yours restarts when not attended is to leave one of the options in messages & settings highlighted when you place your THR22 in Standby after viewing. I choose to leave mine highlighted on the 'Standby' when navigating to another menu. This way when shutting down for the day I simply press the Tivo button on the remote then the Slow button then Select which is the option I left highlighted. Tivo + Slow is one of the many Tivo Menu Navigation Remote shortcuts.

Then when you bring the Tivo out of standby and navigate to messages & settings if the Tivo has not restarted it will always be on the last option you left highlighted.

I had noticed every now and then that the THR22 had restarted while unattended because in messages & settings it was on 'Messages' not 'Standby'. The Tivo always defaults to highlighted 'Messages' after a Restart. I then checked the System Information for the last service connection time and my Internet Gateway/Modem Router combination control panel for up and down times on port 4 which is the Tivo. When they are identical the THR22 has Rebooted.

It has been four days now without a 'Reboot'. With guarded optimism I believe the bug was corrected and was similar to the early Fall 2012 Rebooting issue. I theorize that the rebooting may have been also addressed along with the On Demand issues.

If interested here is the list of Remote Navigation Shortcuts and Backdoor Codes for those not familiar with them.

Navigation Shortcuts

There are navigation shortcuts that can make your life easier:

TiVo+TiVo = Now Playing List
TiVo+0 = Plays the boot animation
TiVo+1 = Season Pass Manager
TiVo+2 = To Do List
TiVo+3 = WishList Search
TiVo+4 = Search by Title
TiVo+5 = Browse by Channel
TiVo+6 = Browse by Time
TiVo+7 = Record Time/Channel
TiVo+8 = TiVo Suggestions
TiVo+9 = Showcases
TiVo+Slow = Messages & Settings

In most menu screens, Chan Up/Down will move you one screen up/down in the menu. And Advance (->|) will jump to the end on the first press, then to the beginning on the second press. This can really speed up navigating the menus.

In the Now Playing List, press ‘Enter’ to change the settings – or just press ’1′ to toggle the sort between name and date, or ’2′ to toggle groups on/off.

Backdoor Codes

30 second skip – There is a hidden 30 second skip feature on the TiVo. While watching a video enter Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select (SPS30S) on the remote. This toggles the Advance (looks like ‘->|’) button into a 30 second skip button. Each press will advance you 30 seconds. It is easiest to enter this while watching a recording.

On-screen clock and Elapsed Time Indicator – Similarly, Select-Play-Select-9-Select (SPS9S) turns on an on-screen clock in the lower right corner of the screen. While watching a recording it also shows the elapsed time of the playback.

Series3 and TiVo HD only – Select-Play-Select-Instant Replay-Select (SPSIRS) toggles an on-screen data display that shows different information along the bottom of the screen depending on if it is a recording or LiveTV. You can see which tuner is in use, the output resolution, etc.

There is one more code, Select-Play-Select-7-Select (SPS7S). On the Series3 and TiVo HD this overlays a kind of map over the video you’re watching. It seems to be designed to calibrate the overscan region of the display. But it isn’t documented and exactly how it is used is unclear. On other units SPS7S is a toggle which disables the display of the playback progress bar and the information banner at the top of the screen.

To disable any of these, simply enter the code again. You may need to exit the video and return to the menus (Hit ‘TiVo’) to clear the on-screen clock. Also, if the TiVo ever reboots, some of these may reset and need to be re-entered.

Have a good day,

Rob

Customer since 1994