TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
jgerry
save vinyl

Question Self-install if I have a multistream CC already?

I currently have an Tivo HD, S3, with a multistream cablecard from Comcast. If I buy the new Roamio (terrible name!) will I be able to just put that card in the Roamio and activate without having a tech come out to the house? I've tried calling TiVo to ask but they must be quite busy.
jgerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

You should be able to, according to current FCC rules the major cable companies aren't supposed to require a truck roll just to pair up a cablecard with a consumer device. That being said, your experience may vary. When I wanted to swap out single stream cards for multi stream cards in my two Tivo-HD's CableOne gave me quite a bit of grief over the phone about it, I stuck to my guns, kept referencing the FCC rules and they finally figured it out. From what I hear from friends in the area CableOne has gotten a lot better about it recently. You should get similar treatment from Comcast.
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
monkeydust

I called brighthouse yesterday and they told me I could pick up a CC and install myself and then call them to finish the installation over the phone. Doing that today so we'll see how it goes.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Scooby Doo

I have moved cards from one Tivo to another on Comcast a few times and never had to do more than make a phone call. If you do have any problems, its better to talk to the Comcast people in the stores than the monkeys in the call center.
Scooby Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
JohnnyO
Crimper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerry View Post
I currently have an Tivo HD, S3, with a multistream cablecard from Comcast. If I buy the new Roamio will I be able to just put that card in the Roamio and activate without having a tech come out to the house? I've tried calling TiVo to ask but they must be quite busy.
I have the same question. I'm also on Comcast (in Minnesota). I was also wondering if it is better to try to move the CableCard from my TiVoHD to the Roamio, or to acquire a new CableCard, and after everything is set up, then return the older CC.

I haven't had to mess with my CableCards since the initial installation in 2008. At that time it required a truck roll. Hopefully now I could do it myself.

John
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
jgerry
save vinyl

I'm going to give it a try -- Roamio Plus purchased. We'll see how it goes.

Bought from Weaknees via Amazon -- says it could be up to three weeks for delivery.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
billhelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
I have the same question. I'm also on Comcast (in Minnesota). I was also wondering if it is better to try to move the CableCard from my TiVoHD to the Roamio, or to acquire a new CableCard, and after everything is set up, then return the older CC.

I haven't had to mess with my CableCards since the initial installation in 2008. At that time it required a truck roll. Hopefully now I could do it myself.

John
In Minnesota on Comcast as well. Either way you go they should be able to pair it over the phone. I've done several over the phone after picking up a new card at a Comcast store or transferring from one unit to another and never had any issues.
billhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
Big Boy Laroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerry View Post
I'm going to give it a try -- Roamio Plus purchased. We'll see how it goes.

Bought from Weaknees via Amazon -- says it could be up to three weeks for delivery.
why not buy from weaknees directly? They say shipping 8/22. and also get $25 off.

I was going to buy from amazon (and get Prime shipping) until they were out of stock
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
jgerry
save vinyl

I would think both orders would be equal in Weaknees eyes, I'm going to give them a call and ask.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
brentil

(BrightHouse) When our S3 died and we got a S4 I was able to call in and transfer both the CC & SDV to the new TiVo myself.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
jgerry
save vinyl

Yeah my Amazon order also says shipping on 8/22:

Quote:
SHIPPING ESTIMATE THURSDAY, AUGUST 22, 2013 - FRIDAY, AUGUST 23, 2013
DELIVERY ESTIMATE: WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 28, 2013 - FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2013 BY 8:00PM

Old 08-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
MScottC

Does anyone have the most current number for Comcast's Cablecard Pairing Center? I tried to call the number I had on hand, but I get a "disconnected" message.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
andyf

The # I have is 877-405-2298
Old 08-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #14
MScottC

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
Thanks, I had 887 as the area code.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
jfh3

Yes, you can move the card yourself. Most channels will probably work off the bat, but you should call the cable company to get your card re-paired and re-validated. This is a trivial process if you get someone on the phone that knows what they are doing.

If anyone insists you need a truck roll, hang up and call again. All the installer is going to do is call and read the same numbers over the phone. There is NOTHING that requires an on site visit.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
miller890

TROUBLESHOOTING : XFINITY On Demand for TiVo Premiere

This page shows the same ComCast CableCard support number. 877-405-2298

I am replacing 2 Series-3 units, so my plan it to say I have a replacement; please pair it. Then return the 3 Mutli-stream cards. With one Premier on the account and two S-3's to be removed. Without the two S-3's I can drop one of the $7.45 (digital additional) fees and both of the (2nd Cablecard) same outlet fees 2@$1.00 and one of the $1.99 (Additional Outlet) fees. Possible $11.44 a month in savings.
Comcast, all wired to 1GB
miller890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #17
Big Boy Laroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Yes, you can move the card yourself. Most channels will probably work off the bat, but you should call the cable company to get your card re-paired and re-validated. This is a trivial process if you get someone on the phone that knows what they are doing.

If anyone insists you need a truck roll, hang up and call again. All the installer is going to do is call and read the same numbers over the phone. There is NOTHING that requires an on site visit.
I called comcast the other day, and they had an automated system for "sending a hit" to the card. hopefully that's all it takes! Comcast CSRs are the WORST.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #18
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
I called comcast the other day, and they had an automated system for "sending a hit" to the card. hopefully that's all it takes! Comcast CSRs are the WORST.
When you move to a new device it gets new host id. So you will have to give Comcast the serial #, host id, and data id for them to re-pair the card.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #19
Big Boy Laroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
When you move to a new device it gets new host id. So you will have to give Comcast the serial #, host id, and data id for them to re-pair the card.
Thanks. I truly hate dealing with comcast. it is 100% my least favorite thing to do on this earth.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #20
MScottC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
Thanks. I truly hate dealing with comcast. it is 100% my least favorite thing to do on this earth.
My wife used to jokingly hide the cable bills from me because every time one would come there was a new charge, add-on or some other crazy **** that would have me on the phone with them for hours. Fortunately, now that they've codified the cablecard policies through a lot of their accounting systems things have calmed down.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #21
monkeydust

Well, I tried the self install. I had some SDV channels coming in until they tried to fix the rest of them. Now I get none. Got a guy coming out tomorrow to try to fix.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #22
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
Well, I tried the self install. I had some SDV channels coming in until they tried to fix the rest of them. Now I get none. Got a guy coming out tomorrow to try to fix.
Is your tuning adapter working (solid light)? If it is (and it should be since they should NOT be changing any tuning adapter settings on their side), then it is probably your card that isn't paired. I would just call them back and try again.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #23
monkeydust

Yeah, the card doesn't appear paired although they tried a couple times and everything works fine on their side.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #24
monkeydust

Quote:
Yeah, the card doesn't appear paired although they tried a couple times and everything works fine on their side.
Cable guy was here for two hours today trying to get all the channels working. It would alternate which ones worked and which didn't. They'd then all work and then some would either get black screen and no message or not authorized. Switched cable cards and tuning adapters and it was still acting flakey. He scheduled a more experienced tech tomorrow but now all seems to be working. I hate dealing with cable cards and tuning adapters.

EDIT: Still some channels are working one minute and then back to black screen when I try again a minute later.

Last edited by monkeydust : 08-22-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #25
monkeydust

So, it looks like one stream is not getting a channel and I switch to another and it will consistently get the channel. Anybody have this issue before?
Old 08-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #26
rainwater

Quote:
So, it looks like one stream is not getting a channel and I switch to another and it will consistently get the channel. Anybody have this issue before?
Well, it can be tricky especially with more tuners to actually re-tune a channel. For instance, if one tuner is on channel 10 and then on the active tuner you change to channel 10, it actually just switches tuners and doesn't re-tune the channel. I usually try to put all the tuners on a inactive channel and then channel through all the channels on the active tuner to test the channels.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:05 AM   #27
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Well, it can be tricky especially with more tuners to actually re-tune a channel. For instance, if one tuner is on channel 10 and then on the active tuner you change to channel 10, it actually just switches tuners and doesn't re-tune the channel. I usually try to put all the tuners on a inactive channel and then channel through all the channels on the active tuner to test the channels.
I had 4 tuners recording leaving me with two. I would move one tuner to a channel out of the way so I won't cross with the other tuner. I would switch to the other tuner and see which channels I get then make sure that one is out of the way. Then I would move that tuner up/down through some channels and make note of which channels that one would get and make sure my other tuner stayed on the channel where I left it. What I would find is that there would be a channel or two on each tuner that would not come in but would on the other tuner. I have never noticed this behavior before and I think (not positive because I didn't do testing earlier) that I was having the same behavior with a different CC and different TA (TA that I have been using on other TV).

So, with these symptoms, I'm trying to determine if issue is with CC, TA, or TiVo unit.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #28
Old Hickory

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
Does this work nationwide?
Old Hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #29
miller890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
Does this work nationwide?
Yes. TiVo's website references this number for all of ComCast.
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261

I had called my local ComCast and was bounced all over because no one could correctly pair the device and cards. I was finally given this same number and they had me working in minutes after I supplied some information from my tivo's cablecard information.
Comcast, all wired to 1GB
miller890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #30
jgerry
save vinyl

This thread is a great resource! Thanks everyone.

Let's all keep updating our experiences here to share the wealth. There's still a huge lack of knowledge about these things and it's very frustrating. My first cablecard install 6 years ago took 5 truck rolls! Let's hope it's better now.

My Roamio arrives on Tuesday!!