TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 71 votes, 4.93 average.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #271
ggieseke

I wonder if the entire OS is in flash or just a beefed-up KS52. The fact that the screenshots showed an update in progress makes me think it may be the latter. Guess I won't know for sure until I get one, image it, and start experimenting.
ggieseke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #272
steve614
what ru lookin at?

My guess is that there is just enough software in the flash memory to get the DVR to the point of being able to access the network and internet where the DVR can then call the TiVo servers and download the complete OS onto the hard drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #273
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
If the entire Tivo OS is *not* in flash, wouldn't installing a blank disk require you to go through some form of guided setup again? I suppose some people wouldn't mind doing that to have a collection of disks to swap in and out, but I'm thinking there would be few of those people. And most of those people are probably on this forum!
If I understand how this is working, the new units have a chip that either has a basic OS on it or instructions for the unit to reach out to momma tivo to download the software. Is that right?

The pain in doing the above is that each drive, I assume, would need to be paired to the cc separately. If someone wanted to have an inventory of drives, the old method of copying a newly paired drive would be easier to manage, IMO.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #274
ncbill

Either way I'd like to publicly thank Tivo for simplifying the process of drive replacement.

Even if one buys the 3 year extended warranty the drive could easily fail just outside that 3 year period.

If that happens it's nice knowing all one has to do is buy either the Seagate or WD "AV" model drive for an easy DIY repair.

Versus having to pay $150 + shipping to send it back to Tivo in exchange for a refurb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
My guess is that there is just enough software in the flash memory to get the DVR to the point of being able to access the network and internet where the DVR can then call the TiVo servers and download the complete OS onto the hard drive.

ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #275
Millionaire2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Either way I'd like to publicly thank Tivo for simplifying the process of drive replacement.

Even if one buys the 3 year extended warranty the drive could easily fail just outside that 3 year period.

If that happens it's nice knowing all one has to do is buy either the Seagate or WD "AV" model drive for an easy DIY repair.

Versus having to pay $150 + shipping to send it back to Tivo in exchange for a refurb.
Agree 100%!!
Millionaire2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #276
vurbano

So who is going to be the first to market $300 dollar 3 TB plug and play Roamio upgrade drives? wow that sounds tempting. It will take the masses a while to figure it out.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #277
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
So who is going to be the first to market $300 dollar 3 TB plug and play Roamio upgrade drives? wow that sounds tempting. It will take the masses a while to figure it out.
Anyone with the skill to install a 'Roamio Upgrade Drive' would also know they can buy the drive for $150 and do it themselves.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #278
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
Anyone with the skill to install a 'Roamio Upgrade Drive' would also know they can buy the drive for $150 and do it themselves.
Not necessarily, I upgraded a couple drives for my parents by buying the upgrade drives. It was worth the extra cash not to have to haul their TiVos back and forth so I could copy the drive.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #279
andyw715

Are these HDDs in the Roamios unformatted out of the box?

As far as pluging the eSATA hole in S3, that was done in order to control the eSATA drive choice. Hard to provide support/warranty to the masses with that big of an unknown.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #280
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amseven11 View Post
Upgrade your Roamio with a new drive. No discs needed.

What you need:
T8 Screw driver
T10 Screw Driver
New Hard Drive

so wait, all you do is get a new drive, put it in and the tivo rebuilds it without any third party tools?!?!?! nice!

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #281
NJChris
Moogs!

Don't we still need to confirm that a drive can be put in after the initial setup was already done with the original drive?

It's only 1 person so far that's tried this, but did it before initial setup.
NJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #282
jmpage2

People are interested in seeing the following scenarios;

1. Upgrade drive filled to capacity without issues.
2. Upgrade drive installed after initial boot-up and installation of factory drive.
3. Format/replace drive multiple times (to insure no "replacement limit" factor).

As far as "needing" this info... I don't know that anyone needs it other than curiosity. It would be surprising if any of this became a roadblock, although it is possible.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #283
cherry ghost

Any chance amseven11 wants to put the original drive back in and go through the setup to see what happens?
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #284
jcthorne

I just ordered the 2TB EURS WD from amazon for delivery tomorrow for $95. Hope this goes well for a Roamio that has already been through setup....

The only 3TB drives that were available for Sat delivery were used returns. I have not had the best luck with those. I never filled the 2TB in my Premiere so this will be sufficient with my server behind it. 500GB is NOT.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #285
Am_I_Evil

getting both my Roamio Plus and a WD30EURS on tuesday...hope all goes well...

(hope to get the drive on tuesday, that was the estimated date from ebay...$130 flat for a brand new drive)
Am_I_Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #286
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I just ordered the 2TB EURS WD from amazon for delivery tomorrow for $95. Hope this goes well for a Roamio that has already been through setup....

The only 3TB drives that were available for Sat delivery were used returns. I have not had the best luck with those. I never filled the 2TB in my Premiere so this will be sufficient with my server behind it. 500GB is NOT.
You have the base Roamio? That drive might not work if it's not a single height drive.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #287
Am_I_Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
You have the base Roamio? That drive might not work if it's not a single height drive.
there's plenty of room...they used a half height drive but there's room for a full size...
Am_I_Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #288
Big Boy Laroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffdaddy View Post
It was the plus/pro I was thinking of.. Why buy the $600 flagship unit when you can get the $400 one and throw in a 2TB or 3TB drive.

But as astrohip pointed out, the unwashed masses probably wouldn't know any better.

It will be interesting to see how tivo reacts.
I wash myself just fine and I got a Pro.

Now - I knew a hard drive upgrade was inevitable, but I had no idea it would go this fast in upgrading drives. But, really, it's not THAT much more expensive to get a pro right now.

Plus ($374 at weaknees) + 3 TB drive ($120-$140 based on amazon prices) = $494

I got my Pro for $559 at weaknees. So $65 more, knowing i could get it right away and (although it probably isn't a huge deal) I haven't tampered with the box.

I upgraded drives in both my Tivo HDs, so i don't really care about opening the box, just saying for $65, it's worth it to me to just get the Pro. I'm not sure what i would actually do with a spare 1 TB drive... my PC already has much bigger.

(Sorry for replying to a post so many pages ago. )

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux : 08-23-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #289
TC25D

Quote:
According to the WD site, the WD20EURS and WD30EURS are the same size.

WD30EURS
Height 1.028 Inches
Depth 5.787 Inches
Width 4.00 Inches
Weight 1.61 Pound

WD20EURS
Height 1.028 Inches
Depth 5.787 Inches
Width 4.00 Inches
Weight 1.40 Pounds
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #290
gothaggis

welp, this thread convinced me to pick up a roamio base model (was going to hold off since the stream coupon is gone) - also picked up the WD20EURS drive from amazon for same day delivery. roamio should be here tomorrow. thanks for the update!
gothaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #291
jcthorne

Quote:
The Seagate pipeline drive in the stock base Roamio is a standard half height drive, not a thin slimline drive.

The 2TB EURS is the same size.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #292
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
I wash myself just fine and I got a Pro.

Now - I knew a hard drive upgrade was inevitable, but I had no idea it would go this fast in upgrading drives. But, really, it's not THAT much more expensive to get a pro right now.

Plus ($374 at weaknees) + 3 TB drive ($120-$140 based on amazon prices) = $494

I got my Pro for $559 at weaknees. So $65 more, knowing i could get it right away and (although it probably isn't a huge deal) I haven't tampered with the box.

I upgraded drives in both my Tivo HDs, so i don't really care about opening the box, just saying for $65, it's worth it to me to just get the Pro. I'm not sure what i would actually do with a spare 1 TB drive... my PC already has much bigger.

(Sorry for replying to a post so many pages ago. )
YOu forgot the extra 1 TB drive you'd get with the Plus which you could then Ebay or throw into your desktop pc.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #293
Big Boy Laroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
YOu forgot the extra 1 TB drive you'd get with the Plus which you could then Ebay or throw into your desktop pc.
No I didn't forget - i mention it. See end of post. but you are right i should include in my cost. So maybe $50 on ebay?

I'm not saying the Pro is a better deal by any stretch. Just saying it's not so astronomical - to me it was worth being able to get right away and just hit the ground running with recording. And believe me, I agonized over it (knowing a drive upgrade was inevitable), and even considered canceling my order... but it already shipped.
Big Boy Laroux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #294
lessd

Quote:
People are interested in seeing the following scenarios;

1. Upgrade drive filled to capacity without issues.
2. Upgrade drive installed after initial boot-up and installation of factory drive.
3. Format/replace drive multiple times (to insure no "replacement limit" factor).

As far as "needing" this info... I don't know that anyone needs it other than curiosity. It would be surprising if any of this became a roadblock, although it is possible.
You want this information so you would know that if your hard drive went south you could do a simple replacement without any problems. (except re-pair the cable card)

Old 08-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #295
jmpage2

I agree. Awaiting on you or someone else who wants to do this experiment with a brand new box.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #296
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
No I didn't forget - i mention it. See end of post. but you are right i should include in my cost. So maybe $50 on ebay?

I'm not saying the Pro is a better deal by any stretch. Just saying it's not so astronomical - to me it was worth being able to get right away and just hit the ground running with recording. And believe me, I agonized over it (knowing a drive upgrade was inevitable), and even considered canceling my order... but it already shipped.
Yeah should be listed as cost (discount) for this math problem. $40 profit is more likely.

Nothing wrong with getting a Pro. And in the grand scheme of things, after paying your cable sub every month for 3 years plus the total cost of your Tivo, the extra $100 is a drop in the bucket.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #297
lessd

Quote:
I agree. Awaiting on you or someone else who wants to do this experiment with a brand new box.
I get my plus on the 21st, I will try it then, I would also want to know if a replacement drive had old TiVo software on it would the reformat take place, or if the drive had been used with a PC , another thing could a smaller drive be used than the one shipped with the Roamio, so say you ordered a pro and the 3Tb drive went south and you did not need 450 hours of record time, could your replacement be say a 2Tb drive.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #298
jmpage2

If you do a replacement it's going to be "blank" with whatever stub software is on the flash of the Roamio... so it should not matter if the old drive was larger, it will just be reformatted with the lower capacity, the software will need update, and you will have to re-run guided setup... naturally you will have no recordings.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #299
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I get my plus on the 21st, I will try it then, I would also want to know if a replacement drive had old TiVo software on it would the reformat take place, or if the drive had been used with a PC , another thing could a smaller drive be used than the one shipped with the Roamio, so say you ordered a pro and the 3Tb drive went south and you did not need 450 hours of record time, could your replacement be say a 2Tb drive.
So you got it 2 days ago?

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #300
NYHeel

I'm really curious to see if a 4TB drive will work. Hopefully someone will be brave enough to try it.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote