TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #31
MeInDallas

Read this thread, we now know it has been done on the base model, going from 500GB to 2TB

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=507695&page=5
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #32
puffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I would be shocked if this would work, or that TiVo would let such a system work.
Consider yourself shocked.
puffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #33
aaronwt
HD Addict

So has everyone looked at the upgrade thread? It looks like the Roamio can work with a blank drive. At least it worked for someone with the Roamio basic.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #34
puffdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So has everyone looked at the upgrade thread? It looks like the Roamio can work with a blank drive. At least it worked for someone with the Roamio basic.
Thread link for posterity: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507695

Last edited by puffdaddy : 08-22-2013 at 10:58 PM.
puffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #35
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffdaddy View Post
Consider yourself shocked.
I still wanted tested with two different drives as the flash may look at only the first SN of the first drive put in and not format any new drive. Or not

Old 08-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #36
ncbill

Tivo's using two different brands: Seagate Pipeline in the Basic, WD AV-GP in the Pro.

Are there other brands "AV" drives, tuned to work with DVRs out there?

I wouldn't expect anything other than an "AV" drive to work properly in a Tivo w/o modification - and the price on the above drives is reasonable @ around $100 for 2TB, around $150 for 3TB.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #37
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Tivo's using two different brands: Seagate Pipeline in the Basic, WD AV-GP in the Pro.

Are there other brands "AV" drives, tuned to work with DVRs out there?

I wouldn't expect anything other than an "AV" drive to work properly in a Tivo w/o modification - and the price on the above drives is reasonable @ around $100 for 2TB, around $150 for 3TB.
IN the past non AV drives worked with no issues in the TiVos. But now that there are more streams than ever being read/written I wonder if it does make a difference now?

I've upgraded TiVo drives a few dozen times over the years and never used an AV drive. But if I do go the upgrade route with the Roamio Plus, I will be using the WD AV drive if 3TB, and if for some reason 4TB works, I will use the Seagate AV drive.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #38
ncbill

I thought one had to directly-connect via SATA the non-AV WD drives to change firmware settings so soft boot ("restart") would work correctly?

Like I said, the AV drives are cheap enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
IN the past non AV drives worked with no issues in the TiVos. But now that there are more streams than ever being read/written I wonder if it does make a difference now?

I've upgraded TiVo drives a few dozen times over the years and never used an AV drive. But if I do go the upgrade route with the Roamio Plus, I will be using the WD AV drive if 3TB, and if for some reason 4TB works, I will use the Seagate AV drive.

ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #39
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
A drive-less TiVo would be a support nightmare.
Nah. External drives! Hell Tivo sells one themselves for expansion purposes.

And now that it has been shown that you can just pop a blank hard drive into a Base Roamio then a driveless Tivo is all but here.

A hard drive is a big fixed cost that doesn't get cheaper over time like silicon does. No hard drive would not just save them the cost of the drive etc. But allow them to build a much smaller box which results in additional material, shipping, distribution and retail savings.

Not that it has escaped me that an external drive isn't the most elegant-looking setup.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote