TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #151
justen_m

I'm watching Masterchef UK: The Professionals on BBCA, whatever season is currently airing on BBCA, and it is a very good show. No drama between contestants (at least not in the four episodes I've seen). There is very little interaction between contestants. Of course, there is no Gordon Ramsey, and it isn't on Fox in the US. It is about cooking, not artificial drama.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #152
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLarry View Post
I am interested in the MasterChef Junior promo that ran during the show. Thing 4 would have loved to try out.
I wonder how different it will be from the adults version - for starters, will they have an opening episode where kids are told how bad their cooking is?

Trying to make the kids' version of American Idol a "friendly" show is one of the things that ruined it - not only did they not show any "bad" kids' singers (the first episode was pretty much a montage of rehearsals, stage mothers complaining that the producers don't know talent, and even one scene where they show a car being stopped in the parking lot and told that they have reached their limit for the day, only for one of the parents to turn to the child and say, "Start singing! This is your only chance to be heard on TV!"), but once they got to the final 10, rather than eliminate one singer a week, they took the singer with the most votes, put him/her "into the group" (there were five winners, who would perform as a group, although they rarely did before they broke up), and continued with the remaining contestants the following week, so they would not have to put any of the kids through having to be "that week's loser".
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #153
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
I'm watching Masterchef UK: The Professionals on BBCA, whatever season is currently airing on BBCA, and it is a very good show. No drama between contestants (at least not in the four episodes I've seen). There is very little interaction between contestants. Of course, there is no Gordon Ramsey, and it isn't on Fox in the US. It is about cooking, not artificial drama.
I've watched the 2012 season and am just about to finish the 2011 version; it is, indeed a fantastic show. I lovel Michel and Monica - just serious enough but still with pleasant and engaging personalities. Gregg Wallace is a big ol' marshmallow who loves everything, but he knows his food too, and he's hilarious.

Also watching Celebrity MasterChef UK 2013 via magical means with Gregg and John Torode. Not nearly as serious but still loads of fun. Both make MasterChef USA look absolutely ridiculous (but I still watch, what can I say?).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #154
mattack

Isn't "MasterChef Professionals" basically "Hell's Kitchen"??

I'm not a cook at all, but it sure seemed like a bunch of the eggs that *passed* didn't look very good. I mean, they always spaz about presentation, and many of them just looked bad -- yolk not in the 'center' of the white, etc. (I think the presentation of food is relatively unimportant, I care about how it TASTES. e.g. mix a bunch of different Chinese food together, and it looks gross.. but often tastes great!)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #155
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Isn't "MasterChef Professionals" basically "Hell's Kitchen"??

0% similarity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Old 08-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #156
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

FTR: It's not Masterchef Professionals, it's just Masterchef.

Also, the challenge was to make a perfectly cooked egg, not necessarily a 'picture perfect' egg. I doubt ANY professional chef could get the yolk in the center of every egg s/he cooked, let alone the home cooks in this show.

The rejected eggs were disqualified not because the yolk was in the wrong place, but because they were under or over cooked, too high a heat, etc.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #157
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
FTR: It's not Masterchef Professionals, it's just Masterchef.
The UK has three versions: MasterChef, MasterChef: The Professionals, and Celebrity MasterChef.

and elsewhere
Old 08-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #158
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
The UK has three versions: MasterChef, MasterChef: The Professionals, and Celebrity MasterChef.
I know that, but mattack was specifically talking about the US version, which is what my comment was aimed at.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:55 AM   #159
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Say what you will about Krissy, but she hasn't let the fact that she is perceived as white trash intimidate her in any way- she just keeps on going.
Whether she is just that confident or is simply putting up a great front is debatable- I don't know her so think it could go either way.

I have to say that I admire her "don't give a shoot" attitude toward the other more refined contestants. All the scorn could have easily derailed a more tender soul. I'm not saying I like her but she doesn't offend me on a personal level like, say Omarosa.

At any rate, I haven't laughed that hard at a TV show since the cheese wheels went rolling down the hill on The Amazing Race. Krissy's pure glee during her attempts to screw over the others was hilarious- like a wicked witch cackling up there.

And I'm making that potato dish of hers this weekend!.

Go Luca!
Old 08-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #160
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
I know that, but mattack was specifically talking about the US version, which is what my comment was aimed at.
Yeah, but my point is that with the U.S. versions, Hell's Kitchen is professionals and Masterchef is home cooks.. I can't think of examples off the top of my head, but I swear they sometimes have similar challenges too.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #161
robojerk

This show is too bitter for me to swallow.. I won't be viewing in past this season.

I hate how every little thing has to have the drama pumped up to 1000, and equate to be a mass calculation to kick others off the show.

And screw Walmart..
Old 08-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #162
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
And screw Walmart..
ROFL

all i was thinking this week was it was one long Walmart commercial
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #163
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
This show is too bitter for me to swallow.. I won't be viewing in past this season.

I hate how every little thing has to have the drama pumped up to 1000, and equate to be a mass calculation to kick others off the show.

And screw Walmart..
Yes, what we loved most about it in the beginning was that there was no drama or manipulation or product placement.

The Walmart thing has been creeping up for a while now but this was ridiculous.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #164
aaronwt
HD Addict

I've only watched this season and the previous season. But during last season they also mentioned Walmart during every episode. If they are paying and supplying them the food, then I understand them advertising Walmart like they do. And many people do not associate Walmart with food. But the grocery section in the two Walmarts near me actually have a good selection of meats and produce.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #165
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

It's our payback for skipping commercials all these years.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #166
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

I cannot STAND Krissi. Ugh. She has GOT to go.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #167
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
Ugh is right! She is 90% of the reason I just can't watch anymore. The last two episodes I just FF through to the end to see who was eliminated. If the day should come that she is eliminated I'll go back and watch that episode. If that day doesn't come, I'm 100% done with this show. So many who were so much better than her have come and gone.

The other 10% is how completely ridiculous they have gotten with the drama in general, and the silly rules they've added that further to drama it up. It used to be such a nice cooking contest to give people a chance to learn a lot and earn something special and meaningful to them.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #168
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
I'm hoping that she wins or at least makes it to the Final two. She is still my favorite contestant and has made the show more interesting this year.

But then most reality shows want people with conflicting personalities since that typically translates to better ratings.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #169
RichardHead
Musical Klutz

Krissi is such an ugly person, more on the inside than outside ... and that's saying something. Why would you want someone like that representing your brand? If she wins, I'm done with MC.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #170
Big Deficit
Happy now?

Krissi's from Philly right? What is it about that place that turns people so ugly? I spent a couple of decades going to NY giant games (sitting near the visiting fans section) and Philly fans stood out from all others. There were always way more fights and general fan ugliness whenever the Eagles were in the stadium. It wasn't just the proximity of the city's or just the rivalry either. Fans from Philly just seemed to revel in being nasty and often blatantly racist. They are so angry, they regularly fight with each other, something I never saw from any other teams fans. Krissi seems to fit right in with that bunch!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #171
billypritchard
Embiggener

Another week with good ole Krissi!

This show is so blatant with its editing. This is my season, but I've got it down. Team challenge? First, one team is doing great! The other team is doing poorly. :-( But amazingly, team 2 turns it around! Yay! and wins the challenge!

As soon as Blue team rocked the apps, it was obvious who was going to win the challenge.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #172
sharkster

Ugh! I didn't watch again, instead FF'ing through to the end to see who left, but was disappointed it wasn't her nasty ass going out the door.

Looks like, from the 'scenes from next wk's show' they are cooking up some Krissi drama. Oh joy. Just in case...I know some people don't even want to hear the teaser stuff shown at the end of an ep -
Spoiler:
They made it look bad for her, so I suspect that means the opposite. argh

Old 08-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #173
aaronwt
HD Addict

I just watched the most recent episode. Boy that was close. I was glad that Krissi got to stay.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #174
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I want Krissi to make to the final two and then get blown away. I don't even care who the other finalist is, just as long as Krissi is left in the dust.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #175
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I want Krissi to make to the final two and then get blown away. I don't even care who the other finalist is, just as long as Krissi is left in the dust.
I'll just bet that's exactly how it goes down, too. I've kept my SP, but will continue to FF to the end to see who gets the boot until it's her, then I'll RW and watch.

What the other guy said is how I feel - she is so ugly, even uglier on the inside than the outside and that's saying a lot. I'm not usually like that, especially with other women, but she brings out the worst in me. Now that I think about that, I suppose that's what they're going for. But it seems to me that this means too much to some of these deserving people to have it tarnished by the drama and by keeping her in lieu of others who are more talented and versatile.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #176
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I just watched the most recent episode. Boy that was close. I was glad that Krissi got to stay.
so you're not a fan of actual cooking skill and contests to determine that ?

you're more interested in manufactured drama ?
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #177
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
so you're not a fan of actual cooking skill and contests to determine that ?

you're more interested in manufactured drama ?
This is a U.S. show. Of course!

Ramsey has always manufactured some kind of drama. Even down to when he announces who is staying or leaving.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #178
sharkster

Sooooo - has everybody stopped watching this monstrosity yet?

I just cruised through yesterday's 2hour episode in about 20 minutes, hoping for the best but expecting the worst. Once again, the witch did poorly but somebody else did just a little bit worse.

I agree about Ramsay and drama but this particular show used to be much more about the cooking and less manufactured drama, except for his little thing of making somebody think they were gone and then turning it around to shock. I could deal with that, but contestant drama is just more b.s. than I had hoped, for this show. I really hoped it would stay more grown up and even-handed.

That puke bucket is not nearly as good as several who have departed. That's the sad part. She can be a hateful b!tch until the cows come home but if, at least, her cooking was up to par at least I could even feel like she belonged there above others. I'd give her that benefit of that doubt, albeit difficult because I don't like ugly drama.

Anyhoo - final four! lmao
Old 08-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #179
dthmj
Hinky

I am still enjoying the show. It has it's annoyances, but if I didn't like it I wouldn't watch it, and I certainly wouldn't fast forwarded through it and gloat on a message board.

I love Luca - and glad he has made it to the final 4. I thought it was really nice of him to give Natasha the garlic - as he said, if he goes home, it won't be because he gave her garlic. He's just adorable.

- Gaming Blog

- Personal Blog
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #180
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Am I the only one who was drooling over the thought of that noodle soup? Or the scallops dish? Or the steak? The Pana cotta, although probably delish, is not my cup-o-tea, but the others were simply mouthwatering!

I though they did a good job recreating the dishes and even Luca and Natasha called it, not putting it in the blast chiller was dumb, with a capital UMB!