TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
michaelmantis

Tivo Steam Software Upgrade to enable External Streaming on Premier?

I have read a bunch of reviews on the new Roamio and am confused on the ability of the existing Stream to be updated (with future software) to enable external streaming when used with an existing Premier unit.

I know the Stream can be used with the entry level Roamio hardware (with the high end ones having it built in) and seen conflicting/unclear reviews if this "sling box-like" functionality will come to Premier units that have the Stream.

Anyone find an article or review that clears this up? I know the functionality was "coming soon" so the answer may not be out yet...
michaelmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmantis View Post
I have read a bunch of reviews on the new Roamio and am confused on the ability of the existing Stream to be updated (with future software) to enable external streaming when used with an existing Premier unit.

I know the Stream can be used with the entry level Roamio hardware (with the high end ones having it built in) and seen conflicting/unclear reviews if this "sling box-like" functionality will come to Premier units that have the Stream.

Anyone find an article or review that clears this up? I know the functionality was "coming soon" so the answer may not be out yet...
Tivo, Inc. responded to this question with, "what's a Premiere?"
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmantis View Post

At least one of the reviews confirmed this. The Roamios use the same chips as in the Stream. There will be an update down the road.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
mattack

The Engadget review
http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/20/t...o-plus-review/
says:
The cool new trick is out-of-home streaming for both live and recorded shows, with the ability to download shows to your iOS devices while away from home. (Note: this feature isn't coming to the Roamio until this fall, so we tested it with a TiVo Stream instead).

so presumably there will be an update.. unless they really only did a 'test' update for reviewers, which seems VERY unlikely, but technically possible.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
jessehere

how about android Tivo?
jessehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:29 AM   #6
TiVo_Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessehere View Post
how about android Tivo?
Never happen, all I've heard are empty promises but TiVo always does that so who knows. Might be 6 weeks, might be 6yrs... just a game of waiting.

Interested in trying to earn a free PSVita, then check
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
out & PM me for help.
TiVo_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Their CEO said during a TV interview that Stream support for Android was coming this Fall. I don't think he would have said that on TV unless he was confident it was true.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
TiVo_Fanatic

I hope it is and good point bout the TV thing. I just know in the past that some of he promises made by TiVo never came when they were supposed to if at all heh

Fingers crossed though.

Interested in trying to earn a free PSVita, then check
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
out & PM me for help.
TiVo_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
davezatz
Funkadelic

Still waiting on my S3 to support M-cards... I JEST, I JEST. Sort of.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote