TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #31
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Ah, didn't read the details. Actually the way it is displayed on the TiVo site is a bit misleading.

It says this, "TiVo Mini comes with a 1-year limited warranty" here https://www3.tivo.com/store/mini.do. Below it looks like just details on extended warranties. You have to click there to see the details of the regular warranty.

This still doesn't change my feelings about extended warranties. If anything, the fact that you can replace it for $50 instead of having to shell out $100 makes my argument more compelling. (At least to me.)
In general I agree with you (regarding extended warranties) but in the case of a product like TiVo that has a lifetime service on it the warranty is actually more of a no brainer.

With a TiVo, the lifetime service is NOT transferrable if the device craps out on you UNLESS it is covered under an extended warranty from TiVo or an authorized reseller (Best Buy for example).

If you take the Mini, yes, it's a cheap piece of electronics, but the lifetime service on it is $149 and could very possibly be more 2-3 years down the road. In the case of a Premiere, the lifetime service is quite a bit more.... so sure you can buy a cheap replacement but you will get hit up for a brand new lifetime service fee.

It's also worth pointing out that in many cases if you need to use the extended warranty you will end up getting a newer generation replacement product if the product you have can't be easily serviced.

You also commented about using your homeowners insurance to cover something like a piece of electronics damaged by a power surge. Does your deductible not apply in those situations? Many homeowners have a $500 or $1000 deductible but many are increasingly going to much larger deductibles (mine is .5% of dwelling replacement value) to lower their premiums and simply paying for smaller things out of pocket.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #32
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
You also commented about using your homeowners insurance to cover something like a piece of electronics damaged by a power surge. Does your deductible not apply in those situations? Many homeowners have a $500 or $1000 deductible but many are increasingly going to much larger deductibles (mine is .5% of dwelling replacement value) to lower their premiums and simply paying for smaller things out of pocket.
Yes I am up to $5000, saving about $700/year, will take me about 7 years without problems to save money if I do have an insurance problem, never made a home owners claim in 30 years, I have had the $5000 for about 6 years now, almost even if I do have a big claim now.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #33
jmpage2

I agree. Lots of homeowners pay a fortune for a small deductible and then use it to nickel and dime their insurance company for small things (I actually had a neighbors kid break a window once and he put it on his homeowners!!).

I would prefer to pay for the small stuff out of pocket, save on my premium and only use insurance for the big stuff.

I had a hail storm roll through after we'd been in the house for 7 years and the roof was totaled. Cost of a new roof plus having our solar panels removed and re-installed was $33,000. At that point the higher deductible seemed like a bargain as after all of the various comps, etc, it still worked out being less than $1000.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:31 AM   #34
cyberbeach
Mere member

I just bought two mini's. For the $78 dollars on the extended warranties plus $10, you could get a new mini from Amazon. And that's today's price. It could go down.

First of all, both mini's would have to fail before I would have benefited from this.

Secondly, there might be a mini 2 at some point in the next 3 years.

WIRED .... 2013 RoPro, Minis (FIOS)
RETIRED . 2012 XL4'S, STREAMS, 2009 HD XL's, 2007 HR10-250's, 2002 SAT T60's, 1996 SAT A1's
DESIRED . 2020 Tivo 32K 96fps 3D Holodecks (Verizon-WarnerCast)
cyberbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #35
aristoBrat

I guess you don't have Lifetime on your minis.
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #36
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeach View Post
I just bought two mini's. For the $78 dollars on the extended warranties plus $10, you could get a new mini from Amazon. And that's today's price. It could go down.

First of all, both mini's would have to fail before I would have benefited from this.

Secondly, there might be a mini 2 at some point in the next 3 years.
This is one reason I got the four year extended warranty on my two Minis from BestBuy. If a new Mini is released I will replace mine right away. The extended warranty will help with the resale.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote