TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 4.90 average.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #121
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by amseven11 View Post
Hey guys just a update, its going through a system update then I should be good to go for the system info screen. I dont have cable installed yet for TV so I can't test actual recording (which is why you see U-verse box on my stand) but hopefully Charter will be out here next week. They have to install a new drop first so that part sucks but anything I can do to help I'm more then willing.
You could always set it to Antenna/OTA-only, then put a big custom bent paperclip into the coax center hole.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #122
amseven11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
You sir are a ROCK STAR!!

In light of this news, what would everyone recommend for a good replacement drive? I won't want something noisy. I'm leaning towards a WD RED.
Ive never had a red drive how are they? I've always had good luck with WD green drives in directv boxes which is why I went with the same thing for Roamio.
amseven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #123
TC25D

Why not use the same drive?
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #124
MeInDallas

Quote:
If they put a firmware image on there, then it's highly likely it includes everything that's needed to get things going initially... guide data and settings would have defaults and it would get other stuff online from TiVo mothership.
This is what the newer Motorola boxes do. They store the bare minimum on flash and then when you put a new drive in, it will format it and begin download from the head end the software for the box. Its limited to 1TB drive somehow, so putting anything in a Motorola box will only format out 1TB. I hope Tivo didnt do this.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #125
MeInDallas

Quote:
Ive never had a red drive how are they? I've always had good luck with WD green drives in directv boxes which is why I went with the same thing for Roamio.
You might wanna stick with the EURS models for DVR's, they are the only ones left that have AAM settings on them.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #126
Goober96

Quote:
Unless something has changed, TiVo has never put any warranty void stickers on their boxes and has never denied a warranty claim based on doing something like this.

They have very mildly discouraged it lately but traditionally they actually were quiet fans of people tinkering and hacking with these boxes.

The key thing would be keeping the original drive and reinstalling it if you run into trouble later and it needs service.
In that case would this be a good 3TB drive to use?
http://www.amazon.com/AV-GP-3TB-Vide...words=Wd30eurs
What would be recommendations on what drive to get (3TB or larger)?
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #127
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
There are some of us that can remember 5.25 full height hard drives, big suckers, all of 80 MB.
I actually remember taking apart an old server that had drives as tall as they were wide (roughly). They were SCSI drives, in raid (IIRC), and the tower was at least 4 feet tall.

Then, only 15 years ago, I actually worked at a place where the drives were single platters, about 2 feet wide, 1/2" thick, and encased in a "pack" that looked like a flying saucer, and weighed about 30 pounds. Each day I had to take one out and install the "scratch pack", which somehow worked as a backup system...

God, do I feel old...
Old 08-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #128
jmpage2

Quote:
The EURS drives have the profile that is DVR optimized. However, RED drives have similar "always on, always writing" characteristics.... they are designed for NAS applications.... they also use low power, run cool and are very quiet.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #129
MeInDallas

This is so awesome, I hope that the other Tivo models do the same thing
Old 08-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #130
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
Yup. That line has never failed me in a DVR
Old 08-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #131
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
Here you go guys..

I don't think that I record anything in SD anymore, but over 2,000 hours of SD recordings makes my head utterly spin.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #132
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
The EURS drives have the profile that is DVR optimized. However, RED drives have similar "always on, always writing" characteristics.... they are designed for NAS applications.... they also use low power, run cool and are very quiet.
IIRC, the RED line has the best warranty, and roughly the same power profile as a "Green" model (if always running), but dual-processors and higher performance, without having to run at high RPMs.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #133
aaronwt
HD Addict

What about these new Seagate video drives? They run at 5900 rpm and are designed to run up to 16 simultaneous HD streams and be used in DVRs.

http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard...ku=ST4000VM000
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #134
innocentfreak

I have read in the past to avoid Red drives for DVRs and Media Center. I want to say it had something to do with how they handled errors since they were designed for RAID environments.

Now someone needs to try this on the Plus.

In some ways this makes sense. The MSOs can easily repair their units. Also they can easily field upgrade them rather than needing new hardware.

One thing that concerns me a bit is if there is no negative to doing it this way, why doesn't Weaknees have "upgrade" drives ready to go? If they don't do anything different to them, they should be able to just sell bare drives.

They told Zatz
Quote:
Self-install kits will be made available once these guys catch their breath and it sounds like the team is hopeful of ultimately offering 4TB drive expansion options.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #135
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What about these new Seagate video drives? They run at 5900 rpm and are designed to run up to 16 simultaneous HD streams and be used in DVRs.

Those are probably the Pipeline drives which are designed for DVRs.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #136
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I have had more trouble with Seagate drives in the past few years than any others. Purely anecdotal I know, but no Seagate drives for me.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #137
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I, nooneuknow, hereby foresee a spike in 2 & 3 TB drive sales, along with shortages of the TiVo Roamio (basic), and a sudden price shift in the other models.

Either that, or TiVo will quickly start limiting the size the drive will yield, by modifying their servers/software, before too many of these can happen...

Either they were just dumb, while actually being innovative and smart, and this wasn't foreseen (or was a programming error), or I don't know how this can be?
Old 08-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #138
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I have read in the past to avoid Red drives for DVRs and Media Center. I want to say it had something to do with how they handled errors since they were designed for RAID environments.

In some ways this makes sense. The MSOs can easily repair their units. Also they can easily field upgrade them rather than needing new hardware.

One thing that concerns me a bit is if there is no negative to doing it this way, why doesn't Weaknees have "upgrade" drives ready to go? If they don't do anything different to them, they should be able to just sell bare drives.

They told Zatz
Well, maybe they caught some glitch that we don't know about yet with just popping in a bare drive and going to the races.

On the flip side, they are in business to make money, so if they can sell some "drive kits" at a profit before everyone and their grandma knows how to upgrade a TiVo then tip of the hat to them.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #139
innocentfreak

Quote:
Well, maybe they caught some glitch that we don't know about yet with just popping in a bare drive and going to the races.

On the flip side, they are in business to make money, so if they can sell some "drive kits" at a profit before everyone and their grandma knows how to upgrade a TiVo then tip of the hat to them.
I guess that is my point. Why not sell the kits immediately? I guess they might need to order the T8s since they include tools.

It could also be they knew how easy it was and didn't want the backlash when someone tried it.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #140
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Either they were just dumb, while actually being innovative and smart, and this wasn't foreseen (or was a programming error), or I don't know how this can be?
As I said in another thread this was probably added for their MSO partners. Competing MSO DVRs have this same feature. It makes it easy for the MSO to repair a broken unit by simply popping in a new drive and redeploying the unit. That's probably why they went with the external power brick on the Basic too. All about ease of maintenance for their MSO partners.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #141
jmpage2

I agree with you Dan, this is likely a move to make their MSOs happy. Retail consumers getting this benefit is just a bonus... because even with it being this easy, 90% of customers won't attempt it.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #142
PaulNEPats

With the weaknees $40 off coupon, why not just grab the pro model over the plus?
PaulNEPats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #143
ncbill

I think I would stick with the Seagate Pipeline "AV" series for an upgrade since it is used in the Basic (and I assume the other models)

Hope someone can figure out how to use the 4TB Seagate Pipeline drive since those are available for around $200 and should result in around 600(!) hours.

Of course, the Western Digital "AV-GP" drives seem to be the same price in 2TB & 3TB capacities, so if you have more confidence in that brand...
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #144
amseven11

Here is a summary of the posts made so you dont have to go through and read them all. I will also add this to the first post in the thread.

amseven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #145
Am_I_Evil

here's to hoping someone tries a 3TB (and even better a 4TB) to see how those work (in a plus would be nice since that's what i've ordered lol)

almost ordered a 3TB but decided to wait and see 4TB results...
Am_I_Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #146
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
I think I would stick with the Seagate Pipeline "AV" series for an upgrade since it is used in the Basic (and I assume the other models)

Hope someone can figure out how to use the 4TB Seagate Pipeline drive since those are available for around $200 and should result in around 600(!) hours.

Of course, the Western Digital "AV-GP" drives seem to be the same price in 2TB & 3TB capacities, so if you have more confidence in that brand...
The Plus uses the Av-GP drive.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #147
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post

They told Zatz
There's two lines (or more) of Red drives: NAS & Enterprise are the two I know. I can see where the latter may become an issue. The former has a programmable TLER, which can be tweaked to suit the environment you use it in. It adjusts how long the drive can dwell on an error before moving on.

As far as weaknees... Maybe they booted the TiVo with the stock drive, then analyzed the drive, copied it to a larger one, then expanded it, and it worked, and are now about to find out they did it all for nothing....

Only time, and many more pioneers willing to open their TiVos, will tell.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #148
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulNEPats View Post
With the weaknees $40 off coupon, why not just grab the pro model over the plus?
That's what I did. But kinda wish I'd known about this before I did. There is a $185 difference between the Plus and the Pro with the respective coupons. A 3TB drive is only $130 on Amazon and when you're done you have an extra 1TB drive.

Oh well, an extra $55 isn't going to kill me and this way I can buy the extended warranty and not feel guilty if something breaks and I need to use it.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #149
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulNEPats View Post
Good question. The $40 off definitely makes buying the Pro and not having to open the box worth it.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #150
lpwcomp

I would advise everyone to calm down a bit until we get confirmation that:

a. This works as intended w/no problems.

b. It works on the plus.

It beggars belief that TiVo would think they could get away with this, but I suppose they have done stranger things. At the very least, I suspect they will be more aggressive in enforcing the "cracking the case voids the warranty" rule.

Looking at weaKnees, if the only difference between the Plus and the Pro is drive size, I am at a loss to understand why anyone would pay $599 for a Pro when you can get a Plus with a 3TB drive for $569.

In any case, I still see a need for DIY tools for doing after use upgrades and failing drive replacements. Of course if it automatically formats a drive if it senses a change in hd s/n, then...never mind.

As to what is in the on board flash - it could be just a stub - enough to format the drive and d/l and install the full O/S.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote