TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #61
Millionaire2K

I say get the Pro.

But that's coming from a guy that owns a 128gb iPad, 64gb iPhone and a 756gb ssd rMacbook pro.

I like the freedom of extra space.

PS. - I bought the Pro.
Millionaire2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #62
jmpage2

I have a 2TB Premiere now, and we rarely have more than 60-80 hours of recorded shows on it. Everything else is suggestions. We don't "archive" shows on the TiVo indefinitely... for us it's watch and delete.

As a result, I ordered the Plus. If, down the line I feel that I need more space, I have no qualms whatsoever about cracking it open and putting a bigger drive in it.

If I had a house of teenagers, all recording crap non stop, I might look at it a bit differently... as it is, hard to justify an extra $200 for space I more than likely will never utilize.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #63
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post

then a plus make sense for you

I've got and XL premium with a external for 4TB total & run at abt 90-95% full. I do let shows stack up & watch them over the summer, plus I tend to record movies I think my 13 year old would like, in addition my husband watches sports.

i can't transfer non-major network shows off my tivo due to TW's policy. plus neither my husband or son will put up with getting stuff off my computer which isn't on 24/7.

i also usually record most every new drama premiere to see if i like it or not. Sometimes it takes me a while to get to watching them.
I'd go nuts if my roommates got that irresponsible. I'm going to do a mass clean-out in September. We're at 36% on an XL4 right now, and just looking at it, it's almost all junk. I'm just too lazy to delete anything for now. I've found that if there's more than 15-20% on an XL4, it's too easy to forget about stuff, and too hard to find stuff to watch. But I got it just in case I didn't feel like cleaning it out for a while, or for stuff like the Olympics where I'll probably record my way from ~15% to mostly full and then end up skimming/deleting most of it.

The nice part about the big ones is that it takes a while to get up in %. The bad part is that you end up with a lot of stuff you forget about when the drive is that capacious, and you can abuse the concept of a DVR.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #64
Dan203
Super Moderator

My 2TB Elite is sitting at 56% right now. I could probably get it down below 50% if I wanted but if I were to then trade that in for a 1TB Plus I'd be running at near capacity and having to worry about space management all the time. If they offered a 2TB option I would have got that, since it's unlikely I'll ever use all 3TB, but with the only choice being 1TB or 3TB I decided to error on the side of caution and just go for the Pro.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #65
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Since it now appears that you can just drop in a blank hard drive and it Just Works, looks like the Plus got a lot more popular.

Hopefully it'll check out and be working properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amseven11 View Post
Done. Confirmed: the OS is on the motherboard. No need for tools just change out the hard drive. Hope this helps everyone!

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #66
jmpage2

Wow!
Old 08-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #67
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

He still hasn't gotten through to a system information screen to make sure that the Tivo actually recognizes the space, and filled the drive with recordings to make sure that it actually works, but it's a heck of a good start!

GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #68
jmpage2

The most likely reason that they would have done this is to reduce their serviceability costs. Now, places like Best Buy won't have to RMA the whole box under warranty, they can just pop a new drive in and good to go.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #69
Dan203
Super Moderator

More likely for their MSO partners. Being able to pop in a new drive and redeploy a box makes the TiVo a lot more attractive to MSOs.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #70
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I was thinking more of buying a bigger drive from someone like Weaknees. I wasn't really thinking about doing it myself and copying everything over. I guess that's not as bad, but significantly more effort.
It's not really much effort at all, since in both cases you have to open the Tivo (I guess Weaknees can install it too, but that obviously means shipping your Tivo there too).

Especially with jmfs, it's really easy. (Again, we have no idea if these tools will work on Roamio -- I suspect NOT, at least not for > 2 gig drives.. probably not at all.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #71
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacobson View Post
Is anyone else concerned with missing OTA on the Plus and Pro? Do most get the OTA channels with their digital cable channels anyways? I'm kind of puzzled why TiVo chose to exclude OTA tuning from the Plus and Pro... ???
Do I *wish* it also had OTA? Yes, but I've already got a Premiere 4 that's digital cable only... so I'm not concerned at all.

I'd probably pay more for a 6 tuner that was also capable of doing OTA, but the 6 tuners are more interesting than the 4 tuners one with OTA. (Though I admit I'm mostly fine with the 4 tuners I already have, I'd rather essentially merge my 2 Tivos into 1 Tivo with 6 tuners.)

In fact, I'm more disappointed that the new low end Roamio can do cable _OR_ OTA, not both. (Yes, I understand the reason is because it only has one coax input.)
Old 08-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #72
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
It's not really much effort at all, since in both cases you have to open the Tivo (I guess Weaknees can install it too, but that obviously means shipping your Tivo there too).

Especially with jmfs, it's really easy. (Again, we have no idea if these tools will work on Roamio -- I suspect NOT, at least not for > 2 gig drives.. probably not at all.)
No need for jmfs. You just drop it in and TiVo builds the drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #73
jfh3

Quote:
3TB should hold me over pretty much forever and with 6 tuners I don't think I'll ever have a conflict again.
Uh huh. That's what folks said about the 4 tuner boxes with 2TBs.

Hard drive space and tuner capacity is like your salary - no matter what it is, you always want 25% more ...
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #74
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
No need for jmfs. You just drop it in and TiVo builds the drive.
That DOES NOT COPY ALL OF YOUR EXISTING SHOWS.

Plus, has anyone *confirmed* this "Tivo builds the drive" thing? I have heard people theorizing it, but haven't seen anybody confirm it.

...and if someone has confirmed it, have you tried putting a 3 TB or 4 TB drive in the low end Roamio?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #75
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
That DOES NOT COPY ALL OF YOUR EXISTING SHOWS.

Plus, has anyone *confirmed* this "Tivo builds the drive" thing? I have heard people theorizing it, but haven't seen anybody confirm it.

...and if someone has confirmed it, have you tried putting a 3 TB or 4 TB drive in the low end Roamio?
Yes it has been confirmed in the other thread. They used 2TB drives in the Roamio.

We don't know with this new setup if copying existing shows will work now.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #76
Bigg

You could copy them to a PC or another TiVo and back again. Except for HBO or anything on TW...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #77
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Uh huh. That's what folks said about the 4 tuner boxes with 2TBs.
I have had my 2TB close to full, but I don't think I've ever had a conflict with 4 tuners. I think maybe once on it wouldn't let me add padding to a show, but that was it. But now I can pad everything and never worry about it again.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #78
bobfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokies! View Post
Since it now appears that you can just drop in a blank hard drive and it Just Works, looks like the Plus got a lot more popular.
Anyone wanting to maximize the hard disk space might want to wait before deciding on the Plus or the Pro. The HDXL could be upgraded to a larger hard disk than the HD.

Does anyone know if that's true between the Plus and the Pro?

Bob
bobfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #79
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfrank View Post
Anyone wanting to maximize the hard disk space might want to wait before deciding on the Plus or the Pro. The HDXL could be upgraded to a larger hard disk than the HD.

Does anyone know if that's true between the Plus and the Pro?
Yes.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #80
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Yes.
That makes no sense. They appear identical other than included hard disk.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #81
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokies! View Post

Hopefully it'll check out and be working properly.
Wow. Is that for real? That would be such great peace of mind... If you drop in a new drive do you lose your Lifetime sub?
Old 08-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #82
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Wow. Is that for real? That would be such great peace of mind... If you drop in a new drive do you lose your Lifetime sub?
TiVo has never invalidated a subscription due to a drive upgrade... Doubt they would start now.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #83
donnoh

I ordered a pro and this is coming from guy that has upgraded every Tivo hard drive on every Tivo I've ever owned. The $50-$60 premium for a 3 TB vs a 1 TB when you add in the cost of a drive was a no brainer for me. Yeah I don't have a left over drive, but I have no use for a 1 TB drive.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #84
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
TiVo has never invalidated a subscription due to a drive upgrade... Doubt they would start now.
I "doubt it" too. I'm just wondering if anyone knows for sure. The difference as I see it, is, WE upgraded the drive and copied over all the information with our own software. Who's to say TiVo wouldn't be able to tell that you swapped in a new drive and void your lifetime sub?

It was my impression that "lifetime" meant the lifetime of the TiVo Hard Drive or any other hardware and if any of them failed you were out of luck and lost the lifetime sub. Is that not true? Does Tivo knowingly let people swap out their Hard Drives if they fail and then allow them keep their Lifetime Subs?
Old 08-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #85
jmpage2

Quote:
I "doubt it" too. I'm just wondering if anyone knows for sure. The difference as I see it, is, WE upgraded the drive and copied over all the information with our own software. Who's to say TiVo wouldn't be able to tell that you swapped in a new drive and void your lifetime sub?

It was my impression that "lifetime" meant the lifetime of the TiVo Hard Drive or any other hardware and if any of them failed you were out of luck and lost the lifetime sub. Is that not true? Does Tivo knowingly let people swap out their Hard Drives if they fail and then allow them keep their Lifetime Subs?
Only someone from TiVo could answer that and I doubt they will. They know the recording capacity of your TiVo so yes they know if you "cheated". It is highly unlikely they care. Weaknees seemingly has a good relationship with TiVo and they are still offering drive upgrades and selling lifetime so that should tell you something.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #86
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
That makes no sense. They appear identical other than included hard disk.
Sorry, misread your original statement.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #87
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Absolutely yes. Lifetime is not tied to the hard drive.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #88
Dan203
Super Moderator

Lifetime is tied to a cyrpto chip on the motherboard. So as long as the motherboard does not fail you can replace the drive and the power supply and you will retain your lifetime. But if the mobo goes you're SOL.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #89
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Absolutely yes. Lifetime is not tied to the hard drive.
Quote:
Lifetime is tied to a cyrpto chip on the motherboard. So as long as the motherboard does not fail you can replace the drive and the power supply and you will retain your lifetime. But if the mobo goes you're SOL.
Beautiful! That's exactly what I needed. Would you still have to have Comcast re-pair the Cable Cards after a swap or does it retain all that info too?

Side Question: My only concern with going to a one box solution is that if I ever did lose that HDD and replaced it, I'd have to reinstall all my SP's manually or when they become available, and I have over 100 of them... There's still no way to backup SP's without removing the Hard Drive right?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #90
SullyND
L: 28-31

KMTTG can backup and restore season passes from Premiere units (and presumably Roamios)
SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote