TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #121
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
That is all it took for me on FiOS the last time i messed with cable cards on my Elites.

I hope the process is still the same because it was surprisingly painless.
But did you get the Elites after Fios started requiring that you pair the Cable Cards to the device?

I remember going from the TivoHD to the Premiere. All I had to do then was move the CC to the Premiere. No calling in necessary. But that was before the cards were paired to the device.

Did you call the automated cable card number or the general customer support line?
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #122
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
For VOD, Copy Protection, and those stuck with SDV the answer is yes. The rest can come from other parties. The only thing the cable industry cared about was VOD access as it concerned CableCards but the one way host can not provide this. This is why there has been so much resistance to CableCards as it blocks a revenue stream.
I've been working with the engineers of my system since January trying to get the Copy Protection Management System working with CableCards. Works fine with the cable company boxes though as they are on a separate set up.

I do know for a fact that the cable industry would love to have to issue only CableCards and let the customer bear all the burden for the equipment. The losses on the HD DVRs are staggering as most boxes only last two to three years in circulation. Also not to mention all the cost of having different legacy boxes in circulation.
Another problem is most customers are not going to pay anything over a $100 for a device to view cable TV. I think that this one thing will finally sink CableCards as the TiVo's are the only ones left using them. Unless TiVo's become fully compatible with cable TV systems I do not foresee this separable security mandate going on much longer. Remember just like satellite, cable TV is a privately owned closed loop system that has nothing to do with public air waves and doesn't get public money to operate.
Boy are you just a blatantly obvious cable company shill or what? I can't even begin to count the number of fallacious arguments you make in this post... are the rest of your posts like this?

Let's just go down the list:
- Ceton is still making cable card devices for PCs. So, there's at least one more out there.

- Cable companies are government regulated because they run wires across public land and sign contracts with cities and states for licensing/franchising. They are a traditional natural monopoly in many cities and only even exist because government gives them a waiver on monopoly rules. They literally get FREE LAND usage and monopoly waivers. That is what we generally call "compensation."

- The notion that $22 a month (what TWC charges for their DVR boxes) does not cover the cost of the boxes expected lifetime is hilarious. Assume the box lasts 3 years... that's an annuity of $22 a month. Assume 5% interest is the opportunity cost for TWC and you get an NPV of $733.61. Ebay lists common cable company DVR boxes used for $150 or less. Let's pretend TWC is paying $200 per box (whole-sale price). That leaves them $533.61 leftover to cover their install cost, maintenance and cable cards. OH NOES HOW WILL THEY EVER GET BY ON ONLY THAT?!?! Even if we assume the boxes sit idle for 1/3 of their lifetime (makes no sense, but ok) we can still see that they make MORE than their cost back on the unit in 3 years.

- The cable companies emphasized repeatedly that the INTERFACE was important to them as well as VOD. So no, they didn't just care about VOD revenue streams. The branding was incredibly important to them, as they do not want customers to view the stream of media as distinct from the cable company.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #123
jmpage2

Well seeing as he works for a company that does this stuff I'd imagine he is actually rather knowledgeable about what the "vibrations" are in the industry vs the pontificating that goes on here.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #124
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
That leaves them $533.61 leftover to cover their install cost, maintenance and cable cards. OH NOES HOW WILL THEY EVER GET BY ON ONLY THAT?!?!
I'm sure Comcast has spent at least that much per customer over just a few years because of their inept training on how to handle CableCARD pairing and authentication issues and the wasted time and truck rolls usually involved in resolving what should be doable via a customer-facing web page in about 15 seconds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #125
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I think it's mainly used in the apps. I have a back button on my Samsung Smart TV and a lot of apps need it to navigate to the previous screen.
It would be good if it corresponded to a discrete IR code, so that it could be mapped to a button on Harmony all in one remotes.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #126
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
I'm sure Comcast has spent at least that much per customer over just a few years because of their inept training on how to handle CableCARD pairing and authentication issues and the wasted time and truck rolls usually involved in resolving what should be doable via a customer-facing web page in about 15 seconds.
Comcast has gotten a lot better in at least telephone support in pairing.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #127
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
It would be good if it corresponded to a discrete IR code, so that it could be mapped to a button on Harmony all in one remotes.
Is there any way to figure that out? I use a Harmony and would like to have access to the back button for the apps.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #128
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
Comcast has gotten a lot better in at least telephone support in pairing.
Oh definitely; I'd meant to put that in a more historic description but I guess in my re-editing how I said that I left it out. But still, it's not always all that smooth. And still CSR's who don't really know what they're doing go to that truck roll decision much too quickly. Within the last month I needed one receiver reauthorized. I got an idiot that insisted he'd done so and since it didn't work they'd have to do a truck roll. I just called back and got someone else the next day who knew what they were doing and had it fixed within about 4 minutes of the call having been picked up by a CSR. But I *knew* that would be the case. And of course I could've probably just called back immediately too, but it was late, and I was tired.

But it's nowhere near as bad as it once was.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #129
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Is there any way to figure that out? I use a Harmony and would like to have access to the back button for the apps.
Usually somewhere there's someone who has more hackable universal remote IR capabilities who simply tries different digital codes with the same device prefix, figuring out what is what, who then has usable IR to feed into other universal devices, whose configurations can be redistributed. And many universal device editors have some way of importing a few different file types to cross over to different remote devices. It used to be relatively straightforward with some IR editors like for Pronto remotes... you could find a way to edit codes manually, create an importable file, then import that code via the file into a device that you could drag/copy over to a button on your remote in the same editor software... Yeah, a pain. But if it was what you had to do, you just had to do it.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #130
Dan203
Super Moderator

I use a Harmony and need the codes for multiple TiVo addresses to prevent conflict with the other TiVos in the room.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #131
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
But did you get the Elites after Fios started requiring that you pair the Cable Cards to the device?

I remember going from the TivoHD to the Premiere. All I had to do then was move the CC to the Premiere. No calling in necessary. But that was before the cards were paired to the device.

Did you call the automated cable card number or the general customer support line?
I swapped around cable cards after the pairing requirement. Before The last time i turned a cable card into FiOS, I swapped my cards around so my elites had the newest ones in them. So I had to repair them.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 08-22-2013 at 05:54 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #132
Grayswandir1

On Fios - moved a cable card from a TivoHD to a Roamio Pro.
It lets you test the cable card channels not too far into the setup process. I was getting all the basic channels but none of the premiums. When I tuned to a premium channel it gave me the cable card info screen and told me to call Verizon.

I first tried the automated system, it said it would take up to 30 minutes. Lost all channels a few minutes later, but they came back, but same problem no premiums.

Called Verizon support. The tech tried a re-pair, but had an issue with the Data ID - his system kept telling him that the ID should be 10 digits but the Tivo was giving 11. He said that since the Tivo was new it might require a firmware update. I told him that on the paperwork I received when I first got the cablecard it said the Data ID format was 11 digits.

He kept trying different things and eventually tried again from scratch, not cutting and pasting into his system but typing fresh, this time it worked fine.

Once setup was done, which included a service update, I used kmttg (awesome program I just found out about on here) to copy my season passes from the old Tivo to the Roamio. Everything worked fine.

So far everything is running smoothly. Will give it a day or so of indexing before I take a look at the speed improvements.
Grayswandir1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #133
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I think I read that this back button is actually for the apps such as netflix and maybe even a future web browser. Has little value for the general TiVo UI.
If you are in TIVO central it also takes you back to the previous page.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #134
jmpage2

Quote:
As mentioned by Doug, if the company doesn't share this information it is usually discovered by someone with an IR test kit that can beam codes at the device and figure out what they are doing.

The risk with the Roamio and its RF remote is that they might have never even created the IR equivalent code. That would be a sneaky way to insure if someone lost the original remote they had to get another one directly from TiVo.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #135
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Has anyone compared the speed of the Roamio to the SDUI on the Premiere? I think that would give the best indicator in how fast it truly is.
Not really a fair comparison because the SDUI is so much more stripped/simple. If you want the best indicator of how fast it is, compare apples to apples.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #136
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
What a pain in the patoot if it ever gets in the state my premiere often finds itself in, needing to pull the cable card for a second to get things to reset :-).
I have experienced all kinds of TiVo issues and crap. ESPECIALLY with the stupid tuning adapter. But in all the years I have been using TiVos and cable cards, I have *NEVER* had to pull out a cable card.... ever.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #137
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I have experienced all kinds of TiVo issues and crap. ESPECIALLY with the stupid tuning adapter. But in all the years I have been using TiVos and cable cards, I have *NEVER* had to pull out a cable card.... ever.
Like I told him earlier, I just disconnect the coax for a moment for the same effect. I didn't hear anything back, like if he actually had ever tried that, etc.

This is one of those issues that affects only certain markets, where the cable signal must have something wonky about it (or it could be cablecard brand/firmware related).

Many just yank the power cord out when their TiVo locks-up or they can't do a menu reboot, etc. I used to, until I accidentally found a momentary coax disconnection achieved the same thing, and I would only lose a brief moment of anything in the buffers, or that was recording, versus the whole power-cycle period, or the time it takes for a cablecard to completely boot the internals of itself.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #138
cyberbeach
Mere member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayswandir1 View Post
On Fios - moved a cable card from a TivoHD to a Roamio Pro.
It lets you test the cable card channels not too far into the setup process. I was getting all the basic channels but none of the premiums. When I tuned to a premium channel it gave me the cable card info screen and told me to call Verizon.

I first tried the automated system, it said it would take up to 30 minutes. Lost all channels a few minutes later, but they came back, but same problem no premiums.

Called Verizon support. The tech tried a re-pair, but had an issue with the Data ID - his system kept telling him that the ID should be 10 digits but the Tivo was giving 11. He said that since the Tivo was new it might require a firmware update. I told him that on the paperwork I received when I first got the cablecard it said the Data ID format was 11 digits.

He kept trying different things and eventually tried again from scratch, not cutting and pasting into his system but typing fresh, this time it worked fine.
I have observed that you can save yourself a lot of repeated calls related to cable card pairing by setting up the Tivo, skipping the cable card step, getting the online setup done, then letting the box sit for 24 hours. Once it shows as authorized by Tivo, then go back and put in the cable card.

Doing it this way, usually the only call I need to make is once or twice to get HBO working.

WIRED .... 2013 RoPro, Minis (FIOS)
RETIRED . 2012 XL4'S, STREAMS, 2009 HD XL's, 2007 HR10-250's, 2002 SAT T60's, 1996 SAT A1's
DESIRED . 2020 Tivo 32K 96fps 3D Holodecks (Verizon-WarnerCast)
cyberbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #139
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Not really a fair comparison because the SDUI is so much more stripped/simple. If you want the best indicator of how fast it is, compare apples to apples.
I didn't say to use it as a comparison, but to use it as an indicator. How do I compare the two if I don't have a Roamio in hand?

If you don't have a Roamio or can't see one in person, you can't tell how fast it really is by someone's comments. If you have a Premiere you can easily compare the SDUI to the HDUI. Since the Roamio is as fast if not faster than the SDUI, this easily gives someone with the Premiere an idea of how fast Roamio is and whether the difference in speed is worth the upgrade.

That was my point. I wasn't using it as a comparison, but something a user could recreate at home to simulate the speed difference.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #140
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
The new TiVo sees my ssid which is broadcasting, but won't connect.

Works great with my TiVo wireless adapter though.

I even tried netting the info (ssid/wpa2/aes) manually, nd still no go.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #141
Dan203
Super Moderator

Does your Router/AP have MAC filtering enabled? If so you need to add the TiVo MAC to the list.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #142
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Does your Router/AP have MAC filtering enabled? If so you need to add the TiVo MAC to the list.
Also, make sure your router has enough addresses available. I usually set mine to just enough for what I need, to keep wireless intruders out. If I add a new device, I have to increase my IP range from say 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.20 to 21. There's also various degrees of wireless authentication, the simplest requires you to push a button, either physically, on the router, or by going into the menus and pushing a virtual button.

Time to dig out the router's manual and compare notes with the device you are trying to connect...
Old 08-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #143
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
The new TiVo sees my ssid which is broadcasting, but won't connect.

Works great with my TiVo wireless adapter though.

I even tried netting the info (ssid/wpa2/aes) manually, nd still no go.
Changing my wireless channel on the router worked.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #144
P42

@nooneuknow you know when you leave you house with your smart phone, or turn off your laptop, etc at night, the router could then hand out one of those IP to the wireless intruders? And on top of that they could just guess and statically assign one to their device.

The push button your refer to is WPS which is also easily cracked. Just use WAP2 with a long key, and be done with it. KISS

Back on topic, not buying a Roamio anytime soon, but delighted to hear that it is the bees knees.
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #145
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
@nooneuknow you know when you leave you house with your smart phone, or turn off your laptop, etc at night, the router could then hand out one of those IP to the wireless intruders? And on top of that they could just guess and statically assign one to their device.

The push button your refer to is WPS which is also easily cracked. Just use WAP2 with a long key, and be done with it. KISS

Back on topic, not buying a Roamio anytime soon, but delighted to hear that it is the bees knees.
That's why I also have to manually allow each MAC address of ANY wireless device. I set that up too, FYI. I tend to try to be redundant, if not tricyclic, when if comes to wireless security. I use very strong WPA2-PSK/AES. I never said that *I* use the "button method" Need a list of the other preventative measures I've enabled as well? Please don't say yes. It's O.T.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #146
Dan203
Super Moderator

IPs and MAC addresses are very easy to spoof, so that's not providing you any real protection. The only real protection is your WPA key.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #147
jpasint

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post

Actually, most DHCP servers assign an IP address lease for a minimum (it's configurable) of 24 hours.

So the IP address is yours for that entire time, usually, that is.

Joe
jpasint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #148
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
IPs and MAC addresses are very easy to spoof, so that's not providing you any real protection. The only real protection is your WPA key.
The way I see it, every weak bit of protection, like minimal IP address pool, MAC address by authorization only, not broadcasting SSID, and many others, will make them hackers work, only to find they can't get past the whopper of a key I use with WPA2 & AES-only encryption.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #149
Dan203
Super Moderator

I use to think the same way. But then I realized how much of a PITA it was when I bought something new or I had someone over that wanted to use my wifi on their phone.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #150
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I use to think the same way. But then I realized how much of a PITA it was when I bought something new or I had someone over that wanted to use my wifi on their phone.
Neither happens enough to be a PITA, around here, except when I finally do get something new, and forget just how many roadblocks, spikestrips, and rolls of razor wire I deployed....