TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #91
innocentfreak

Has anyone compared the speed of the Roamio to the SDUI on the Premiere? I think that would give the best indicator in how fast it truly is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #92
lukewind

Just got mine!

Hey Guys

A couple weeks ago I decided to ditch Tivo because of how awful the Premiere had been for me, I love Tivo but the speed and hangup issues were driving me nuts. So I went ahead and got X1 service from Comcast.....I was not pleased. While X1 was a step in the right direction it turned out to be a horrible system that had so many bugs and performance issues that the second the Roamio was announced I bought a plus model. Stay fat away from X1!!!!!!!!

I just got it setup and I have to say it solved every issue I had with the Premiere. It is crazy fast, the UI has been revamped just enough to where its still familiar and easy to use. And so far not one hangup while going between apps and settings. I am really happy to have Tivo back in my life, the last few weeks have been horrible.

Now I must spend the next few hours programming in all my season passes. This might take a while.

I just wanted to post because I feel this is finally a Tivo worth the money.
lukewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #93
ScaryMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukewind View Post
Hey Guys
Now I must spend the next few hours programming in all my season passes. This might take a while.
If you have an iOS device, setting up season passes is MUCH faster and easier in the TiVo app, just FYI.
ScaryMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #94
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryMike View Post
If you have an iOS device, setting up season passes is MUCH faster and easier in the TiVo app, just FYI.
From the season pass manager at tivo.com it's also very simple and easy.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #95
lukewind

Very Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Has anyone compared the speed of the Roamio to the SDUI on the Premiere? I think that would give the best indicator in how fast it truly is.
It is really fast, just as fast and I think a bit faster then the SD menus on a Premiere. I have been playing with mine all day and its very smooth. They say its up to 2.5x faster, but it honestly feels faster then that. A very much needed upgrade over the Premiere, which was apparently running a calculator processor from the 80s.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #96
lukewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Sorry, I don't believe your argument for a minute. The cable companies have always been about control of their information and the presentation of their information. Sure, they'd like someone else being responsible for maintaining the equipment, but they want to dictate every single interaction the user has with that equipment. Those are contradictory goals, and the contradiction has always been resolved in favor of them being in control. Contrary to what you state, they wouldn't for an instant be happy with just supplying a cable card to customer equipment; they have to be in charge of what the customer sees.

According to your arguments, the cable companies should be the biggest supporters of TiVo out there. But everybody here knows differently.
I have a friend who works as a manager at a Comcast distribution center and he told me that the average box can last up to 8 years, they have a ton of them that people still use that are between 10-15 years old. They make a lot of money on the rental of these boxes once they go beyond 3 years in the field. And there are tons of them much older then that.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #97
hefe
Rebus Philbin

How do you access the Cablecard slot on the base model? Doesn't look like there's an external slot. Do you have to open it up? (TiVo site says to follow instructions on the How to Install Cablecard Insert that comes with the device)

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #98
Big Boy Laroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe View Post
How do you access the Cablecard slot on the base model? Doesn't look like there's an external slot. Do you have to open it up? (TiVo site says to follow instructions on the How to Install Cablecard Insert that comes with the device)
I saw a video that said the cablecard slot on the basic is on the BOTTOM. haven't seen an actual picture of it, though.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #99
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe View Post
It's on the bottom of the box.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #100
jcthorne

There is a small trap door like a battery compartment on the bottom with a snap on cover.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #101
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
There is a small trap door like a battery compartment on the bottom with a snap on cover.
What a pain in the patoot if it ever gets in the state my premiere often finds itself in, needing to pull the cable card for a second to get things to reset :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #102
DaveWhittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
What a pain in the patoot if it ever gets in the state my premiere often finds itself in, needing to pull the cable card for a second to get things to reset :-).
Why do you have to do that?
DaveWhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #103
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWhittle View Post
Why do you have to do that?
Look at all the threads in the Premier group about "losing channels". Ever since the 20.3 update arrived, the combination of the TiVo software and old Scientific Atlanta cable card firmware has produced a disaster needing constant reboots and/or cable card fiddling.

No way am I gonna get a new Roamio till either TiVo or Comcast fixes things (and they are both supposedly gonna roll out a fix "someday", just don't know when it might happen). I can't believe 6 streams would work if 2 doesn't even work now.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #104
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Look at all the threads in the Premier group about "losing channels". Ever since the 20.3 update arrived, the combination of the TiVo software and old Scientific Atlanta cable card firmware has produced a disaster needing constant reboots and/or cable card fiddling.

No way am I gonna get a new Roamio till either TiVo or Comcast fixes things (and they are both supposedly gonna roll out a fix "someday", just don't know when it might happen). I can't believe 6 streams would work if 2 doesn't even work now.
FYI: I can get the same results just by pulling the coax feed, for usually just a minute or less, without pulling/re-inserting the card.

If the same works for the new product line, then the location of the card doesn't matter.

However, in instances where my card should need to be re-paired, I've found that I've often had to ask them to un-pair (since their system will always show it as paired, no matter what), hold off on the re-pair, while I remove the card for a minute, then after insertion and two more minutes, tell them to re-pair.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #105
Will Binegar

Is anyone using a new Roamio with FIOS yet?
Will Binegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #106
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Binegar View Post
Some might. I will be tomorrow. What do you need?
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #107
HenryFarpolo

Quote:

I am using it on FIOS. My initial thoughts are posted on page 3 of this thread.

Do you have a specific question?
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #108
Will Binegar

Just curious to see if there are any hickups specific to FIOS. I noticed some comments about issues that some had with their Premieres and Comcast. I didn't have any problems when I got the Premieres on FIOS, but since Roamio is a new platform, I thought I'd see what the experience has been.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #109
Will Binegar

I'm also wondering how much, if any, the remote codes vary from the Premiere's. I run everything with a universal remote, and it would be great if there's little or no tweaking that has to be done there.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #110
apw2607

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
You're not "up scaling", all you're doing is deinterlacing. The resolution is exactly the same, 1920x1080. In a perfect world of deinterlacing, if its done properly, 1080i will be identical to 1080p.
The original Premier did an appalling job of scaling 720p content to 1080i. The fact Roamio now supports 1080p@60 would suggest that with the new chip set there is a good chance the Roamio will do a better job with 720p to 1080i (and 1080p) scaling than the premier .... I will have mine on Saturday and will be looking at this in detail.
apw2607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #111
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
I am using it on FIOS. My initial thoughts are posted on page 3 of this thread.

Do you have a specific question?
Did you previously have a TivoHD or Premiere with a paired CC? If so, what did you do to pair the card to the Roamio? I'm just wondering if the web site or automated phone number will work or if there needs to be some kind of unpairing of the card first before pairing with the Roamio.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #112
Will Binegar

That was my next question. I'm hoping the process will be to pull the CC from a Premiere, plug it into the Roamio and call the Roamio's data in to Verizon.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #113
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
Did you previously have a TivoHD or Premiere with a paired CC? If so, what did you do to pair the card to the Roamio? I'm just wondering if the web site or automated phone number will work or if there needs to be some kind of unpairing of the card first before pairing with the Roamio.
I have a Premiere XL and a S3. The Roamio has a new cablecard which I activated yesterday using the web site.

Last edited by HenryFarpolo : 08-22-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:10 PM   #114
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
That was my next question. I'm hoping the process will be to pull the CC from a Premiere, plug it into the Roamio and call the Roamio's data in to Verizon.
That is all it took for me on FiOS the last time i messed with cable cards on my Elites.

I hope the process is still the same because it was surprisingly painless.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #115
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
I'm also wondering how much, if any, the remote codes vary from the Premiere's. I run everything with a universal remote, and it would be great if there's little or no tweaking that has to be done there.
I have a Harmony One. Everything works with the Roamio as it did with my Premiere. The only thing missing is the back button which is new on the Roamio remote. The back button is not an issue for me so I do not plan to update the One for the Roamio.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #116
Will Binegar

Great! Thanks for the info.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #117
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have a Harmony One. Everything works with the Roamio as it did with my Premiere. The only thing missing is the back button which is new on the Roamio remote. The back button is not an issue for me so I do not plan to update the One for the Roamio.
And with the new remote being all RF you can't even learn the back button huh?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #118
lessd

Quote:
What does the back button do that the original back button (6 s back) did not do

Old 08-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #119
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think it's mainly used in the apps. I have a back button on my Samsung Smart TV and a lot of apps need it to navigate to the previous screen.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #120
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
What does the back button do that the original back button (6 s back) did not do
I think I read that this back button is actually for the apps such as netflix and maybe even a future web browser. Has little value for the general TiVo UI.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote