TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
monkeydust

Streaming from PC to Mini options?

I see in this thread that there is some support from Flingo but the file types are limited and lack FF/REW. Are there any other options? I've used Stream, Baby, Stream for years but that doesn't work (shows up, navigates to show, hit Play and error comes up).

Lack of streaming from PC is the main hinderance I have from replacing my Elite with another Mini.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

File types are always going to be limited unless the PC software does some sort of on the fly transcoding. The hardware has a limited number of codecs it's capable of decoding.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
File types are always going to be limited unless the PC software does some sort of on the fly transcoding. The hardware has a limited number of codecs it's capable of decoding.
Stream, Baby, Stream has been able to handle any file type I could throw at it. Works fine on my S3, Elite, and S5Plus but errors on Mini.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
NYHeel

You can use PyTivo to get the show transferred over to the Premiere or Roamio and then watch with streaming on the Mini via the primary box. Not great but a solution.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
monkeydust

Yeah, that's a bit of a hassle. Fortunately my Mini is on a Samsung SmartTV that I can steam to but its functionality lacks FF/REW so I would certainly prefer something on the Mini.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
Yeah, that's a bit of a hassle. Fortunately my Mini is on a Samsung SmartTV that I can steam to but its functionality lacks FF/REW so I would certainly prefer something on the Mini.
You should try Plex. It has FF/RW
Old 08-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
monkeydust

Thanks, I may give that a shot. I remember people talking about that because of the cookie problem that renders in inoperable that Tivo may be fixing at some point.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

TiVo Desktop had some sort of cookie problem, but that's not what I'm talking about.

Plex is a server app you install on your PC and there is a Plex app you can get for your Samsung TV that will stream the shows to the TV. It works better then the built in DLNA streaming of the TV.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #9
monkeydust

I ended up installing pyTivo this morning (never used it before) and this looks to be a superior solution to anything else I've used to stream. Took me a while to figure out though the errors I was getting was due to having spaces in my filenames. Once I fixed those, it was able to transfer my mkv's just fine.

Last edited by monkeydust : 08-25-2013 at 06:46 AM.