TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #181
Dan203
Super Moderator

In a TV interview yesterday the CEO of TiVo was specifically asked about Android and he said it'll be available this fall. So it looks like it's still on track for a November release.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #182
KJW

I am always amazed at the lengths fanboys will go to protect their beloved companies, and TiVo's fanboys are as bad as apple's. The whole idea that market share has anything to do with android support for TiVo stream is as irrelevant as the argument that android is somehow harder to program for than iOS.

The only relevant fact here is that, over a year ago, TiVo promised android support as "coming soon." Was android market share significantly higher a year ago? Was android easier to write apps for a year ago? Of course not. TiVo knew exactly what the circumstances were when it made its promise, and nothing has substantially changed since then.

At bottom, Tivo made a promise about android support for the stream -- a promise that enticed consumers like me to purchase the product -- and it has completely failed to deliver. I have owned TiVos for over a decade and would love to download shows to my Galaxy Note, but I am limited to my iPad, which is much less convenient for carrying around downloaded content.

TiVo needs to take some resources away from its new product development and support its customer base by fulfilling its promises for existing products. I am sure I am not the only one who feels cheated and lied to about the stream when it comes to android support, and TiVo is certainly in no position to alienate any customers, particularly those committed enough to the company to invest in new products like the stream.

Last edited by KJW : 08-22-2013 at 01:08 AM.
KJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:38 AM   #183
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's why you should always buy a product based on what it can do right now and not what is promised for the future. TiVo is not the only company to promise something and then have it get significantly delayed and/or canceled completely. In fact this is not even the first time TiVo itself has done it.

Fool me once...
Old 08-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #184
KJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That's why you should always buy a product based on what it can do right now and not what is promised for the future. TiVo is not the only company to promise something and then have it get significantly delayed and/or canceled completely. In fact this is not even the first time TiVo itself has done it.

Fool me once...
Oh, yes, the final fanboy excuse -- everyone does it!

Actually, not everyone does this. In fact, few companies would simply abandon or woefully delay a major piece of promised functionality. And while some companies might be able to get away with it because they have huge customer followings or a very large product base, TiVo has neither. In fact, TiVo's existence predominantly relies on a very core following for very few products. I would think that TiVo would recognize this and (i) not risk the loyalty of its customers and (ii) support fully the few products it has.

I am, however, amazed that people are not more annoyed at this and keep insisting on making excuses because this particular issue does not affect them. As you said, this is not the first time TiVo has done this -- how long before a feature you care about is abandoned?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #185
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Even the new Remote Streaming on the Roamio does not currently work, it is prominently marketed as Coming Soon". Yes, you can copy shows onto your iStuff, just like the Premiere can do with a Stream, but once again (first time being the Stream) a device is sold with the precursor of "coming soon".

I have honestly spent some time reading things about the Roamio on their website as well as the ads that have populated my Premiere XL4, HDXL, and HD, and they all may be very confusing to those not "in the know".

Fact is, they are continually alienting a portion of their customer base, and their development should receive a major kick to get in gear with this stuff.

Yes, I think no one should have bought the Stream based on the thought of "Android is coming soon", in the same way that looking back I personally deeply regret dropping $250 on my Mini that I am still waiting for dynamic tuner allocation for, because, TiVo promised it was in the works. Now I have serious concerns that we will never see it as the Premiere line is obsolete hardware and wonder if they will offer any more major updates for it.

THAT is the exact reason why I did NOT jump and buy a Roamio. The now standard "coming soon" moniker that TiVo uses as standard issue on their last few products:
1) Stream: Buy it now, but with Android support coming soon!
2) Mini: Buy it now, but with Dynamic Tuner Allocation coming soon!
3) Roamio: Buy it now, but with Remote Streaming coming soon!

Dan said it best, "Fool me once..."
Hence forth why I did not order a Roamio Pro with PLS to add to my collection.

While I do consider myself to be a TiVo "fanboy", I am deeply disappointed and HIGHLY critical of their lack of incentive to sell COMPLETE products.

For those that disagree, I am sure that the Apple fanboys would be absolutely bouncing off of the walls if Android support was offered and not Apple support.

As I have stated many times, if more people spoke up about it and voiced up their concerns instead of being complacent with unfinished products, maybe we wouldn't be where we are now. Call. E-mail. Message. Whatever. Just be on their case about and keep asking when.

The mere fact that so many people are so quick to defend TiVo's actions puzzle me, the fact remains they have many loose ends to tie up.

I will be holding onto my money and not giving TiVo a penny outside of my service fee for any equipment whatsoever that is not "fully-functioning". Until then, I will be sticking with the stuff I have now and not upgrading anything.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #186
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJW View Post
Oh, yes, the final fanboy excuse -- everyone does it!

Actually, not everyone does this. In fact, few companies would simply abandon or woefully delay a major piece of promised functionality. And while some companies might be able to get away with it because they have huge customer followings or a very large product base, TiVo has neither. In fact, TiVo's existence predominantly relies on a very core following for very few products. I would think that TiVo would recognize this and (i) not risk the loyalty of its customers and (ii) support fully the few products it has.

I am, however, amazed that people are not more annoyed at this and keep insisting on making excuses because this particular issue does not affect them. As you said, this is not the first time TiVo has done this -- how long before a feature you care about is abandoned?
I'm not making excuses for anyone. If anything I was saying that TiVo is more guilty of delays and failed promises then anyone. But they're not the only ones that do it either.

If you bought something that didn't fit your needs because you believed them when they said it was "coming soon" that's on you. You should always buy stuff based on what it can do now, not what it might do in the future.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #187
sbiller

sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
The focus for Tivo should be bringing new customers into their tv ecosystem and retaining existing customers. Providing an app that works with the majority of smartphones in this country and the rapidly growing tablet market should be a priority, not an afterthought. Again, market trends for smart phones were clear years ago. Tablet trends are going the same direction.

Even if the 'analysis' that Android users are price conscious consumers is accurate and the real reason why these users are different than iOS users, it shouldn't matter to Tivo since, again, they are appealing to grow their business, not shrink it by sticking with iOS support only. The Tivo app is free on both platforms, and unless the plan is to begin charging for it, it doesn't matter if one market is more price sensitive. Almost everyone watches tv, and many people want a DVR.

Frankly, the 'analysis' about iOS vs Android users is being continuously misused and misinterpreted to support preconceived notions about superiority of the Apple brand and its more expensive products. Apple still has snob appeal, although like its market share, even that is waning.
Do you read anything anyone else posts? You keep saying the same stuff over and over and over and over again. It's like you have your fingers in your ears and you're just loudly going LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA...
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #189
button1066

Quote:
At bottom, Tivo made a promise about android support for the stream -- a promise that enticed consumers like me to purchase the product
You bought a Stream which you can't use? Why? Or do you mean it enticed you to buy a TiVo?

Quote:
I have owned TiVos for over a decade
Android support for Stream enticed you to buy a TiVo ten years before it was announced? What?

I'm not following your logic here.

Quote:
I am sure I am not the only one who feels cheated and lied to about the stream when it comes to android support
I'm sure you'll get over it and you'll be complaining on here like a champ about how bad the Android Stream supporting app is in just a few months' time when it gets released.
button1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #190
KJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by button1066 View Post
You bought a Stream which you can't use? Why? Or do you mean it enticed you to buy a TiVo?

Android support for Stream enticed you to buy a TiVo ten years before it was announced? What?

I'm not following your logic here.

I'm sure you'll get over it and you'll be complaining on here like a champ about how bad the Android Stream supporting app is in just a few months' time when it gets released.
Sorry for your confusion, Button1066, I'll try to type slower.

I have owned TiVos for over 10 years so I had trust in the company. . When they introduced TiVo stream, I was happy because I could transfer shows to my ipad and "soon" to my android phone. . But the android support never came so I was disappoint-- oops, big word -- I was sad. . It's bad when companies promise something so you will buy a product, but then don't provide that feature. It also makes people not want to buy their products in the future.

I find it amusing that you never address the issue I raised and, instead, end your post by calling me a whiner. Its all the more ironic because I started my original post about how fanboys ignore the real issue in order to steer the conversation to a point they can use to confuse the issue. And here you are not only ignoring the issue, but resorting to personal attacks.

Insulting someone because they are disappointed in a product. Wow.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #191
KJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I'm not making excuses for anyone. If anything I was saying that TiVo is more guilty of delays and failed promises then anyone. But they're not the only ones that do it either.

If you bought something that didn't fit your needs because you believed them when they said it was "coming soon" that's on you. You should always buy stuff based on what it can do now, not what it might do in the future.
Ultimately, yes, you are correct. I bought the product knowing that android support was not yet integrated, so that decision is on me. But that doesn't mean I should not be disappointed that this feature is not out yet. More importantly, it means that TiVo has lost some credibility, if only with me and others similarly situated.

Like I said, I love my TiVos and have had them for over a decade. I participate in tivo surveys every month, and i used to recommend tivo to my friends. It's just sad that I have a little less enthusiasm for a company that I used to hold in such high esteem. And given TiVo's circumstances these days, I don't think they can afford to alienate their most loyal customers.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:13 AM   #192
Dan203
Super Moderator

Well hopefully they are turning it around. It's taken a while but it appears that they might be coming through with all those promises and then some this Fall. We'll see, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #193
button1066

Quote:
Sorry for your confusion, Button1066, I'll try to type slower.

I have owned TiVos for over 10 years so I had trust in the company. . When they introduced TiVo stream, I was happy because I could transfer shows to my ipad and "soon" to my android phone. . But the android support never came so I was disappoint-- oops, big word -- I was sad. . It's bad when companies promise something so you will buy a product, but then don't provide that feature. It also makes people not want to buy their products in the future.

I find it amusing that you never address the issue I raised and, instead, end your post by calling me a whiner. Its all the more ironic because I started my original post about how fanboys ignore the real issue in order to steer the conversation to a point they can use to confuse the issue. And here you are not only ignoring the issue, but resorting to personal attacks.

Insulting someone because they are disappointed in a product. Wow.
See, I knew you'd get over it. Chin up.

What issue were you raising by the way? Your own frustration? Not an issue for me so sorry if I didn't pander.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #194
KJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by button1066 View Post
See, I knew you'd get over it. Chin up.

What issue were you raising by the way? Your own frustration? Not an issue for me so sorry if I didn't pander.
Never mind. You've convinced me there that are far more frustrating things than a lack of android support.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #195
button1066

Quote:
Never mind. You've convinced me there that are far more frustrating things than a lack of android support.
You're getting there. Almost over it. Deep breaths. Aaaaaand life goes on.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #196
ilovedvrs

sooooooon!!!!
Old 08-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #197
bodosom
Just another tivotee

Quote:
Ultimately, yes, you are correct. I bought the product knowing that android support was not yet integrated, so that decision is on me. But that doesn't mean I should not be disappointed that this feature is not out yet. More importantly, it means that TiVo has lost some credibility, if only with me and others similarly situated.
Welcome to the world of consumer electronics. I buy a lot of gadgets and I don't think anything I've purchased in the last 20 years has failed to disappoint to some degree.
bodosom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #198
aaronwt
HD Addict

So late Fall? Isn't that around a year after the Stream was launched? That is a crazy amount of time. I'll need to continue using my SlingBox350. I missed the UPS person this evening that had my A/V cables for my two Minis so I could hook up my Hava Platinum and the SlingBox 350. I was hoping to get my TiVo Minis moved around this weekend and connected for remote viewing.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:15 AM   #199
Dan203
Super Moderator

The Stream was released last September, so it'll be over a year by the time it actually lands. That is a crazy long time.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #200
bciocco

TiVo Stream and Premier on Woot today for $149

http://www.woot.com/offers/tivo-prem...c44e-281146662
bciocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #201
ilovedvrs

I hope the android version will be compatible with the yet unannounced new Nexus 10.

My free stream is sitting in the box waiting for the android app!!!
Old 09-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #202
Balzer

Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovedvrs View Post
I hope the android version will be compatible with the yet unannounced new Nexus 10.

Yea, I saw a deal for a Stream on Craigslist. It was new in the box, so I couldn't pass it up. So it will remain in the box until I actually have use for it.

Roamio Plus (Sep '14 - Present)
Roamio (Sep '13 - Present)
Premiere(July '12 - Present)
Premiere(August '11 - Present)
TiVo HD (July '07 - July '12)
TiVo S1 (August '01 - July '07)
Balzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #203
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovedvrs View Post

Shouldn't the Nexus 10 be similar to the 2013 Nexus 7 except a faster processor and a higher rez screen? I picked up a Nexus 7 this past weekend. Coming from a 7" FireHD I really like it except for the speakers.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #204
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Shouldn't the Nexus 10 be similar to the 2013 Nexus 7 except a faster processor and a higher rez screen? I picked up a Nexus 7 this past weekend. Coming from a 7" FireHD I really like it except for the speakers.
I'm not expecting the 10 to have a proc bump over the refreshed 7. Maybe it will? I just expect it to have a larger screen and possibly a resolution bump.

Anyways, I can't imagine TiVo not making any theoretical stream app run on Google's reference hardware.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #205
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
Anyways, I can't imagine TiVo not making any theoretical stream app run on Google's reference hardware.

Me neither, yet here we are.

...Tivo has said Android support for Stream is due later this year.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #206
aaronwt
HD Addict

I'm still not going to hold my breath. I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #207
BigJimOutlaw

Q1 anyone?

BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #208
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

This is SO out of hand at this point I can't believe my eyes. I had to read that twice because I thought I was reading it wrong.

I'd be happy with some......any kind of non-iOS browser support, but we can't even get that!
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #209
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Q1 anyone?

March 31, 2014. Will Tivo Stream release support for Android/browsers or will it be delayed?
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #210
aaronwt
HD Addict

At least there should be many, many millions more Android tablets sold in 4Q this year. Especially with the FireHDX tablets coming out in November.