TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #61
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherif View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the base Roamio was only 10/100 ethernet, but I then checked the TiVo website and under the specs it did state the base model was 10/100/1000. I am glad someone has confirmed that it's unfortunately not an gigabit port.
I read that first too, in the CNet write up...

But then the TiVo site had conflicting information, so I was hoping it had it.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #62
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Now the stupid online Season Pass manager won't let me copy any season passes. Maybe something has to update for it to figure out what's what, but kind of annoying all it can manage to tell me is it's "unable to transfer the following...".
While I had already forced about 5 connections on the Roamio during and after the installation and authorization of the CableCARD, I then forced one on my XL4 and again on the Roamio, watched an hour-long recording and then tried the season pass manager on tivo.com again and it worked; either it was related to what I did, or another couple hours helped.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #63
Dan203
Super Moderator

I hear Kmttg can back up SPs and then restore them to a new TiVo. Apparently it actually keeps the order too, which the website doesn't seem to do.

Have never actually tried it myself, but I'm going to when I get my Roamio
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #64
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I hear Kmttg can back up SPs and then restore them to a new TiVo. Apparently it actually keeps the order too, which the website doesn't seem to do.

Me too
Old 08-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #65
Walter Lambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Ben from Engadget indicated last night that the box has an option to scale all content to 1080p60.
Do you see an improvement in the quality of the picture when the Roamio upscales to 1080p from 1080i?
Walter Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:33 AM   #66
Series3Sub

A bummer no Gigabit Net for the base Roamio (I guess we will all end up referring to it as "base" Roamio rather than the official "Roamio" because "Plus" and "Pro" refer to the other 2 models--I hope we decide on a convention soon ).

I understand and accept Roamio with only 4 tuners as opposed to 6. However, it is stinky that it can only access OTA OR Cable, not both at the same time. Yes, I presume that would have required the more expensive chip set or whatever under the hood, but part of me is cynical about the limitation to force "trading up." I also get not including streaming and transferring to iOS mobile devices as this does require more hardware, even if the chip is the same, and OTA is NOT where the money is, I suppose.

I do think TiVo ought to offer, on a permanent basis this time, the OTA ONLY subscription rate of $9.99. This could be really attractive to cord cutters and others who are interested in OTA only. Considering the features the Roamio does NOT have, it would seem a fair rate. Again, the idea is to make TiVo more attractive to the cheapskate cord cutters.

Last edited by Series3Sub : 08-22-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:23 AM   #67
ELEVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
A bummer no Gigabit Net for the base Roamio (I guess we will all end up referring to it as "base" Roamio rather than the official "Roamio" because "Plus" and "Pro" refer to the other 2 models--I hope we decide on a convention soon ).

I understand and accept Roamio with only 4 tuners as opposed to 6. However, it is stinky that it can only access OTA OR Cable, not both at the same time. Yes, I presume that would have required the more expensive chip set or whatever under the hood, but part of me is cynical about the limitation to force "trading up." I also get not including streaming and transferring to iOS mobile devices as this does require more hardware, even if the chip is the same, and OTA is NOT where the money is, I suppose.

I do think TiVo ought to offer, on a permanent basis this time, the OTA ONLY subscription rate of $9.99. This could be really attractive to cord cutters and others who are interested in OTA only. Considering the features the Roamio does NOT have, it would seem a fair rate. Again, the idea is to make TiVo more attractive to the cheapskate cord cutters.
Wow That Really Sucks, Tivo cant do both at same time OTA Channels and KBL? What were they thinking? That is insane Seriously. There are some Excellent Channels that are not on KBL AKA Cable ;o) and are OTA. That is a Real Bummer. I Really Wanted the 5 Series Pro , But this Has Made me Think about it. Also When KBL Prices go up i do the right thing and Cut them off, when cable Removes a Channel from my package because of Ted Turner Greedy Demands , I Cut them off as well. I am not Cheap just Sometimes we have to protest and Shut KBL Down for a few and then watch the offers Come in.

So Sad to see Tivo Doesnt have a Gig Byte Port either. The option would of been nice, Just incase / So what Wireless is it N ? Or Newer One 802.11AC ? and if it is not the New 802.11AC Then this is Exactly why they should of Left a Gig Port Available So we can add an 802.11AC Bridge Or a Newer Technology Down the line , Wouldnt that make sense ?
ELEVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:57 AM   #68
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Lambert View Post

Do you see an improvement in the quality of the picture when the Roamio upscales to 1080p from 1080i?
You're not "up scaling", all you're doing is deinterlacing. The resolution is exactly the same, 1920x1080. In a perfect world of deinterlacing, if its done properly, 1080i will be identical to 1080p.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:12 AM   #69
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
OK, here's a question I haven't seen covered yet... If someone is willing to pull the plug on their Roamio..

How fast does it reboot *and start recording again*?

I admit, if my recording is missing a significant portion of the show, I likely will delete it and watch it On Demand or something..

But e.g. the OLED S3 & TivoHD take more than 5 minutes (I think closer to 10, but my memory is fading) to *fully* boot and be able to record again.

The Premiere 4 is a LOT faster, a couple of minutes, but still IMHO AGONIZINGLY long.

I realize some of that is to reacquire channels on the cablecard, so the times to getting back to now playing & the time before it starts recording again would be GREATLY appreciated.

Yes, tivos should never crash/shouldn't reboot/you should have everything on a UPS.. blah blah blah.. I'm still interested in these figures... and would possibly _very slightly_ push me to getting one sooner (esp replacing P4 + TivoHD + Tivo Stream with one Roamio).
It still takes way too long for it to boot up even with this updated hardware.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #70
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Willing to take a peek in the box to see what kind of hard drive it has?
WeaKnees tells me the base unit has a 3.5" *half height* drive (with room for full height).
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #71
Series3Sub

No Roamio model with "THX Certification"? He, he. That's a surprise. At least they could've claimed there is a difference between the Plus and the Pro: "The only THX Certified 6 tuner DVR!" Considering TiVo's huge mark-up for the believed to be IDENTICAL to the Plus DVR, How are Pro buyers going justify the huge cost? For $600, I think those Pro buyers ought to be able to crow about it being "THX Certified" , He he, he. I'm too wicked. Our little TiVo creature no longer able to crow about "THX Certification? What is the world coming to? So, does this mean the $600 Roamio Pro is inferior to the S3 and Premiere THX Certified models? He, he, he. How about that people probably don't know know nor care about THX Certification, and TiVo, finally, figured that out.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #72
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
No Roamio model with "THX Certification"? He, he. That's a surprise.
Did anyone really care about that fake, non-feature?
Old 08-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #73
HenryFarpolo

Initial thoughts:

-Unboxing and setup were uneventful. About 60 minutes from the hands of the UPS driver to watching live TV. I was replacing a Premiere so all cables were in place. This time includes activating a cablecard.

-Networking was a little slower. I have a S3 and a Premiere XL4. I waited for things to happen but got an "activation not complete" on the TIVO site and a "Network problem" on the TV. I finally forced a connection on the Premiere and S3 and all was OK with the world.

-The TIVO interface was always a plus for me. It is even better now. It is sharp, crisp and fast. Channel surfacing seems about the same as with the Premiere.

-The remote is fine and works as advertised. I have a Slide and was pleased to find it works just fine with the Roamio. EDIT..Day 2 the slide a little buggy!!

-Transferring shows from the S3 takes about the same amount of time as it did with the premiere. Transferring from the Premiere is much faster than the S3.

Watching 5 shows recording last night was a kick. There are not individual lights for each tuner as with the Premiere. The indicator seems a little busy.

-I did not have streaming between the S3 and the Premiere so the Roamio is a new experience. I am impressed!! The ability to delete shows on the remote device is a plus. I cannot do that with my FIOS DVR.

-I transferred a couple of season pass shows from my Premiere to try it out. Shows marked for new only are scheduling and recording both new and repeats. More to check out on this.

-I played a little this AM with streaming to my Ipad. Initial impression is positive. I watched live TV, a recorded show and transferred a show to watch later. The transferred show was 1/2 hour. The estimated time to transfer was 6 minutes. I left it downstairs transferring so I cannot attest to the actual. The Ipad TIVO app updated itself for streaming. I did not have to download an update from the APP store. I have not checked out my Iphone yet.

First impressions are highly positive. Hope they stay that way.

edit...two more observations:

-DTA works as it is supposed to.

-I am one of those who clears out the recently deleted folder. With my Premiere I always switch from the HD display to the SD when clearing the recent deleted folder because the HD was so slow. The Roamio is not an issue for me because it is so fast!!

Last edited by HenryFarpolo : 08-22-2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: added info
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #74
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
WeaKnees tells me the base unit has a 3.5" *half height* drive (with room for full height).
That makes sense since it is probably a single platter 500GB drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #75
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
Initial thoughts:
-I did not have streaming between the S3 and the Premiere so the Roamio is a new experience. I am impressed!! The ability to delete shows on the remote device is a plus. I cannot do that with my FIOS DVR.
Is that new with the Roamio? I don't remember being able to do that between my Premiere and Tivo-HD.
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #76
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Me too
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
FYI. Can confirm RPC Remote functionality works fine with Roamio Plus and managed to copy all my season passes from Premiere & Elite using kmttg (including series without current airings and my auto record wishlists). Initial TTG tests showed ~ 120 Mbps average download speed via Gigabit ethernet connection.
Definitely looks like it works. I kind of enjoy setting up my new season passes since it lets me clear house so I don't think I would do that.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #77
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Initial thoughts:

-I played a little this AM with streaming to my Ipad. Initial impression is positive. I watched live TV, a recorded show and transferred a show to watch later. The transferred show was 1/2 hour. The estimated time to transfer was 6 minutes. I left it downstairs transferring so I cannot attest to the actual. The Ipad TIVO app updated itself for streaming. I did not have to download an update from the APP store. I have not checked out my Iphone yet.
Are you using a base Roamio with a Stream or is this a Pro/Plus model?
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #78
innocentfreak

Quote:
Initial thoughts:

-Transferring shows from the S3 takes about the same amount of time as it did with the premiere. I will check more closely today.

-I transferred a couple of season pass shows from my Premiere to try it out. Shows marked for new only are scheduling and recording both new and repeats. More to check out on this.

First impressions are highly positive. Hope they stay that way.
The first one is a limitation of the S3. If you try transferring from the Premiere you will see the speed difference.

The second is due to the 28 day rule. Since it is a new box, it treats any episode aired in the last 28 days that wasn't recorded on that TiVo as new. Give it a month and it will settle. This will happen with any new TiVo since it wasn't able to record last weeks episode for example.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #79
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiloxiGeek View Post
Is that new with the Roamio? I don't remember being able to do that between my Premiere and Tivo-HD.
I had an S3 and Premiere and could not stream. Now with the Premiere and the Roamio I can experience streaming. NOT with the S3 but between the Premiere and the Roamio. Sorry for the confusion!!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #80
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Quote:
I had an S3 and Premiere and could not stream. Now with the Premiere and the Roamio I can experience streaming. NOT with the S3 but between the Premiere and the Roamio. Sorry for the confusion!!
Actually I was referring to the deleting a show on a remote TiVo.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #81
aaronwt
HD Addict

Has anyone checked the transfer rates from the Roamio to TiVo Desktop? Is it faster than the 75Mb/s or so that the Premiere gets?

Or anyone that got two Roamios and checked the transfer rates between Roamios?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #82
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
The first one is a limitation of the S3. If you try transferring from the Premiere you will see the speed difference.

The second is due to the 28 day rule. Since it is a new box, it treats any episode aired in the last 28 days that wasn't recorded on that TiVo as new. Give it a month and it will settle. This will happen with any new TiVo since it wasn't able to record last weeks episode for example.
Thanks. I edited my comments to reflect the Premiere transfer speed. You are correct. It is much faster.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #83
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Has anyone checked the transfer rates from the Roamio to TiVo Desktop? Is it faster than the 75Mb/s or so that the Premiere gets?

Or anyone that got two Roamios and checked the transfer rates between Roamios?
I thought someone tested the Plus and got 120Mb/s. Maybe in the KMTTG thread?

Old 08-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #84
jcthorne

I have tested transfers with the base unit and speeds are about the same as the premiere. About 85mbit pytivo to Roamio. It's limited by its 100mbit port.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #85
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeinck View Post
Count me among those wondering the speed of channel changing using the Mini with Roamio. I'm considering replacing a bunch of Premieres for Pro w/ minis.
Got the Roamio yesterday and was busy exploring. I transferred my MINI host from a Premiere to the Roamio this morning.

I do not see a difference in the channel changing speed.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #86
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiloxiGeek View Post

Actually I was referring to the deleting a show on a remote TiVo.
Not new. A Premiere can delete shows from another Premiere.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #87
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I have tested transfers with the base unit and speeds are about the same as the premiere. About 85mbit pytivo to Roamio. It's limited by its 100mbit port.

If it were limited by the port, wouldn't be clocking closer to the 100mbit mark? Honest question...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #88
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
Not new. A Premiere can delete shows from another Premiere.
Ok, that kind of what I was thinking. I have one Premiere and two Tivo-HD's so I haven't seen this capability yet. My Roamio Plus is on the UPS truck right now out for delivery this afternoon. Guess I'll be seeing this capability once that is up and running.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #89
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
If it were limited by the port, wouldn't be clocking closer to the 100mbit mark? Honest question...
85Mbit is about as fast a continuous through put as you can get on a 100mbit connection with a couple switches and a router in the path. Maybe a bit more but its pretty close to maxxed out.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #90
rainwater

Quote:
Shows marked for new only are scheduling and recording both new and repeats. More to check out on this.
It can be confusing but the "new" flag doesn't have anything to do with deciding whether to record a program. For recording new only, TiVo looks at the original air date. If it is missing or less than 28 days ago and hasn't been recorded, then it is considered new.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote