TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
mwacosta

Best way to transfer a lot of recordings between Tivos

I'm getting a new Roamio today and as a result, I'm going to decommission my old S3 that has given me many years of service.

I have a bunch of recordings on the S3 (non copy protected) that I'd like to mass copy to the Roamio. My question is, what is the best way to do that?

If I remember correctly, you can copy from one tivo to another but does it let you copy an entire folder at one time?

Is PyTivo or kmttg suitable for this?
mwacosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
Jonathan_S

Doing it from the TiVo I believe you have to queue up each recording; there's no way to select an entire folder at once.

One tip - the S3 will transfer faster if it's not busy buffering liveTV. Switching both tuners to a channel you don't receive, or even unpluggin the input cable, will speed up the transfer (regardless of what method you use to do it).

Sorry I can't help with whether pytivo or kmttg would make it easier to bulk select your shows.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

TiVoToGo is slower and loses a bit of the metadata, so while you might be able to bulk select shows the whole process will be slower and less reliable.

Your best bet is to just select them one by one from one TiVo to the other. It's relatively fast after the first one. (the first one takes a few seconds because it actually starts transferring right away, all others are simply queued)
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
mattack

Use kmttg to copy it to a computer (you can select multiple recordings).. Then copy back to the other Tivo.. There actually are ways to push recording to a Tivo, but I haven't explored them.

You get *better* metadata using kmttg than copying directly between Tivos!!!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:24 AM   #5
unitron

My experience is based on, at the time, having more than one S2 DT.

TiVo to TiVo transfers (it's really copies) lose metadata, including original recording date and time.

Copying it all to PC with TiVo Desktop preserves most of that, and if you want to spend the money on hard drives, you can use more than one 2TB drive on the PC, giving both of your TiVos the ability to access far more recordings than they can hold at one time.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:03 AM   #6
tenthplanet

S3 to Premiere copies don't lose info, (I went and double checked just in case) skip the computer and and follow DAN203's advice and you'll be good.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:01 AM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah they fixed that long ago. But TiVo to PC does still lose a bit of data.

Plus if you're moving from a Premiere MRV transfers are really fast. If you're coming from a S3/HD, or god forbid a S2, they're going to be really slow so queue them up before you go to bed.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yeah they fixed that long ago. But TiVo to PC does still lose a bit of data.

Plus if you're moving from a Premiere MRV transfers are really fast. If you're coming from a S3/HD, or god forbid a S2, they're going to be really slow so queue them up before you go to bed.
One nice thing about copying to PC--If one of your TiVos dies, you've still got the shows as long as you've got another TiVo on the same account.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
TiVo to TiVo transfers (it's really copies) lose metadata, including original recording date and time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
S3 to Premiere copies don't lose info,
As 10p and others have said, S3 and up does not lose the data, or the captions, or anything else. I keep moving the final episode of LOST to my new TiVos, and everything is there. I assume when I order a Series 5 Pro at some point, I will transfer it again.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
As 10p and others have said, S3 and up does not lose the data, or the captions, or anything else. I keep moving the final episode of LOST to my new TiVos, and everything is there. I assume when I order a Series 5 Pro at some point, I will transfer it again.
Not true. If you 'push' shows to a tivo from a pc, you definitely lose metadata. Look in the PYTIVO forums to see

If the Tivo pulls them from another Tivo or from pytivo, the metadata is intact.

I would use kmttg to download the files to a pc. That can be queued, and will take a long time, since a S3 tivo will only transfer at 10 m/s or so.

Then you can use pytivo on a pc to setup a tivo 'library'. The tivo can see it and you can transfer from the library to the tivo by selecting each item one by one, but they will queue up.
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
astrohip
Stuart F

My reply wasn't clear. I was affirming tenthplanet's comment that TiVo to TiVo DOES work.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #12
mattack

I'll have to play with it some more, but I'm 99% positive there's still SOME info that's lost when transferring between Tivos. I think you *sometimes* get episode #, but don't always get original air date, etc.. it's better than it used to be, but NOT complete.. and definitely not as complete as the info you get if you download to a computer.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:15 AM   #13
mwacosta

Well, I have the Roamio installed and running. The interface is a real change coming from an S3, but I got use to it pretty quick. It's pretty snappy and I hardly know what to do with six tuners.

I hooked up my old S3 to wired ethernet instead of wireless. Hopefully that will speed up transfers.

I did a few tivo to tivo transfers and it wasn't that bad. It wasn't great either. I'll probably end up doing this to transfer everything. It's a real pain in the arse, but it's simple to do and I can queue up a bunch of recordings to transfer overnight. It'll probably take me a few days to get everything.
mwacosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

I converted my Wife from a S3 to a Premiere last Christmas. Her S3 with 1TB expander was nearly full. It took about 3 days to transfer everything. I would queue up a bunch of stuff before I went to bed and then I would queue up more in the morning before I started working. I think she had something like 300-400 recordings. Luckily this is the type of thing you only do every few years.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #15
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwacosta View Post
Well, I have the Roamio installed and running. The interface is a real change coming from an S3, but I got use to it pretty quick. It's pretty snappy and I hardly know what to do with six tuners.
Add padding to as many season passes as you can/care about. That's one of my major uses for more tuners.

Though I admit *mostly* I get by fine with 4 tuners (though I also have a Tivo HD hooked up), I still have a BIT of clipping going on (late night talk shows abutting each other -- TS & LS need a minute or two of end padding or they cut off). 6 tuners would fix that, plus get everything down to ONE Tivo.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #16
y2jdmbfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
S3 to Premiere copies don't lose info, (I went and double checked just in case) skip the computer and and follow DAN203's advice and you'll be good.
I tend to lose the episode numbers and seasons when I transfer from TiVo to Tivo. I just transferred 200 shows from a Premiere 4 XL to a Roamio Pro and lost 90% of the episoide and season info. At least the title and date of airing is still there, so I can use TV.com to find out what episodes I am missing.
y2jdmbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
InFromTheCold

A related question: as a TWC customer, I find that most (maybe all?) of my recordings are copy-protected, so transferring programs first to my computer is out.

In the event that I get a Roamio, will I be able to save copy-protected programs that are on my THD, if I do it Tivo-to-Tivo?
InFromTheCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #18
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFromTheCold View Post
A related question: as a TWC customer, I find that most (maybe all?) of my recordings are copy-protected, so transferring programs first to my computer is out.

In the event that I get a Roamio, will I be able to save copy-protected programs that are on my THD, if I do it Tivo-to-Tivo?
No. A Copy Protected show cannot be moved, period. If it was on a premiere, you CAN stream/watch it from the Roamio, but a show copy protected on a TDH can only be watched on the THD.
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #19
InFromTheCold

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
No. A Copy Protected show cannot be moved, period. If it was on a premiere, you CAN stream/watch it from the Roamio, but a show copy protected on a TDH can only be watched on the THD.
Thanks. Also . Was hoping to sell the THD upon getting a Roamio, and I suppose I still can, if I'm willing to dump those programs. Decisions, decisions...
InFromTheCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #20
TripFoeYa

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2jdmbfan View Post
I tend to lose the episode numbers and seasons when I transfer from TiVo to Tivo. I just transferred 200 shows from a Premiere 4 XL to a Roamio Pro and lost 90% of the episoide and season info. At least the title and date of airing is still there, so I can use TV.com to find out what episodes I am missing.
So the idea of TiVo to TiVo DOES NOT retain metadata? I'm purchasing a Pro soon and have 3 Premiere's full of shows I would like to transfer. Not happy about the fact of losing show data. Any solid suggestions?
TripFoeYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

From S3 to Roamio you will lose some of the data. They changed the format somewhere along the line and never updated the S3 software to match. From Premiere to Roamio you retain everything.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #22
TripFoeYa

Quote:
From S3 to Roamio you will lose some of the data. They changed the format somewhere along the line and never updated the S3 software to match. From Premiere to Roamio you retain everything.
Thank you Dan, I appreciate the info. I'm sure I have over 300 shows that need transferring. I know my thumb will be hurting after all those button pushes.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #23
Dan203
Super Moderator

I did almost 200, was a little daunting. Had to take a couple of breaks in the middle.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #24
unitron

Quote:
What about from S3 to S3?

And does it make a difference if one is a 648 and the other a 652 or 658?

Old 09-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #25
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think you might lose a bit of data going S3 to S3 as well. I no longer have any S3 units, so I can't say for sure.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:53 PM   #26
mattack

At least between OLED S3 & TivoHD, you definitely lost data.

Like I think I said above, if you download with kmttg, then transfer to the new Tivo, it will be easier, and I *think* you may have some metadata retained that you wouldn't otherwise.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #27
TripFoeYa

250+ transfers later I can now say for sure that Premiere to Roamio retains all show data.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #28
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yep, for me too. Also moved my wife from 2 tuner Premiere to an XL4 and that did too. KMTTG also made moving the SPs a breeze.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #29
sfhub

So from OLED S3 to Roamio, the best way to retain data is to first transfer to PC using kmttg?

Will kmttg then take care of the meta-data translation to the newer format mentioned above?

Is it still true there is loss of data with OLED S3 11.0m (which I believe folks have said only solved the expired cookie issue, but I don't know if people really investigated in depth)
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:19 AM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think there will be a loss of some data, such as episode numbers, actor information, etc.., when transferring from a S3 unit no matter if you do it via the PC or TiVo to TiVo. If the source TiVo is a Premiere or Roamio then all data is retained TiVo to TiVo.