TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #31
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I've been googling around but haven't found an answer. How does the CPU in the Pro/Plus/Basic compare with the CPU in the Mini, speed-wise?
Not positive of the CPU in the base model, but if it's the same as the Plus/Pro then on paper Roamio is theoretically 3x as fast. (3000 dmips vs 1100 dmips). Tivo is claiming "up to" 2.5x in real-world tasks.

It eats the UI for breakfast in the video clips... The responsive RF remote is helping too.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 08-21-2013 at 04:04 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #32
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
So it is a 2.5" drive in the base unit?
I called Weaknees and confirmed it is a full size 3.5" drive in the base model. They now have upgraded models on their website for sale.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #33
collin

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
As for the wifi card been removable, several possible reasons. It keeps the mainboard a nice regular shape. It provides an easy way to change it for different markets - I know the number of G channels differs. It is possible that it was an option to get the wifi chip and supporting bits that way, saving design work on the mainboard.
Along this line of thinking, I suspect the wifi is added via card due to FCC certification reasons. If the wifi was directly on the mainboard, they would have to get that board FCC certified, and recertified every time they changed the card (for different markets, to update standards, etc.). This way they can buy off-the-shelf certified wifi modules and just put them in the Tivo units.
collin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #34
innocentfreak

No 4TB AV-GP drive so no idea if 3TB is the new limit or if there isn't one.

Interesting to note the 3TB Plus from weeknees is cheaper than the Pro or same if the coupon still works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #35
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post

Interesting to note the 3TB Plus from weeknees is cheaper than the Pro or same if the coupon still works.
Seagate makes a 4TB Pipeline HD model, Western Digital doesnt have one yet.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #36
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Not positive of the CPU in the base model, but if it's the same as the Plus/Pro then on paper Roamio is theoretically 3x as fast. (3000 dmips vs 1100 dmips). Tivo is claiming "up to" 2.5x in real-world tasks.
In the reviews I read, TiVo is claiming an overall 1.7X not 2.5X.

The big wildcard is going to be the dependence on Internet and TiVo's servers to fill in the stuff on the UI. That is likely unchanged.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #37
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post

Only slightly cheaper. Then if you want an extended warranty for the 3TB Plus you need to get it from Weaknees. While with the Pro you could get it from TiVo. So with the coupons on both and extended warranties it's cheaper to just get the Roamio pro from weaknees and then get the 3 year extended warranty from TiVo. Although it's only $5 cheaper than getting both the 3TB Roamio plus and warranty from Wekanees.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #38
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
In the reviews I read, TiVo is claiming an overall 1.7X not 2.5X.

The big wildcard is going to be the dependence on Internet and TiVo's servers to fill in the stuff on the UI. That is likely unchanged.
Yes. That was cnet. Their quote is, "TiVo claims performance is 1.5 to 2.5 times faster, averaging 1.7 times faster."
Old 08-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #39
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Yes. That was cnet. Their quote is, "TiVo claims performance is 1.5 to 2.5 times faster, averaging 1.7 times faster."
Then you are being an optimist

Averaging them seems reasonable, but I prefer reality, and with TiVo you know how that can go..... so 1.5X is probably a safer number to throw out for now
Old 08-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #40
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
As someone who just replaced a PSU on his TiVoHD, i hope to god this PSU has non-plagued capacitors...
The Basic one uses an external power brick so if it goes it should be cheap and easy to fix. The Plus/Pro still has an internal power supply so who knows.

In my experience bricks do fail more often, but they typically cost $10-$20 to replace and you can usually find one that'll work at the local RadioShack so you can get back up and running quickly.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #41
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
In my experience bricks do fail more often, but they typically cost $10-$20 to replace and you can usually find one that'll work at the local RadioShack so you can get back up and running quickly.
Maybe an aftermarket Ebay one is $10 to $20! OEM AC adapters for laptops and other powerful devices typically run in the $40 to $75 range...

Even Radio Shack brand, which is likely not enough wattage, is $35 to $40. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...stuff-you-want
Old 08-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #42
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Then you are being an optimist

Averaging them seems reasonable, but I prefer reality, and with TiVo you know how that can go..... so 1.5X is probably a safer number to throw out for now
I said "up to" 2.5x... even used quotes. I did good.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #43
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Maybe an aftermarket Ebay one is $10 to $20! OEM AC adapters for laptops and other powerful devices typically run in the $40 to $75 range...

Even Radio Shack brand, which is likely not enough wattage, is $35 to $40. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...stuff-you-want
The Mini uses a 12v 1a brick. Assuming the TiVo needs a bit more power lets assume a 1.5-2a supply. There is one of those on Amazon, with Prime shipping, for $6. But even if it costs $40 like the RadioShack one it's still cheaper then the $100+shipping it costs to buy a S3 power supply from Weaknees.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #44
steve614
what ru lookin at?

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if TiVo made the connector off spec a bit so you'd have to buy the replacement brick from them.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #45
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if TiVo made the connector off spec a bit so you'd have to buy the replacement brick from them.
Does TiVo have the money and clout for custom stuff? Apple does stuff like that, but they can afford it.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #46
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I hope not because even now I don't see a replacement brick for the Mini listed on their site.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #47
jmpage2

Quote:

It eats the UI for breakfast in the video clips... The responsive RF remote is helping too.
Thanks. I was referring to speed difference between Roamio and Mini though... Not between Roamio and Premiere.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #48
MeInDallas

Quote:
I wish someone would look at theirs and post the specs so we would know
Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #49
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Thanks. I was referring to speed difference between Roamio and Mini though... Not between Roamio and Premiere.
Ah. We don't really know. There aren't any detailed published specs for the chip in the Mini.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #50
JohnnyO
Crimper

Another thread had a photo of the inside of the base Roamio unit. Unlike the older units, or the new Plus and Pro units, it appears there is no external fan, but there appears to be a fan between the area where the disk drive is located, and the rest of the machine. How does air get in and out of the unit? Is this likely to have a negative impact on the lifespan of the basic Roamio?
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #51
MeInDallas

If you look at that pic, you will see on both sides of the unit has vents, so the fan pulls air in by the hard drive, pulls it over and past the drive to cool it, and then blows out the back of the fan across the motherboard to the vents on the other side. right to left in the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inside Roamio Fan.jpg (52.8 KB, 155 views)
Old 08-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #52
JohnnyO
Crimper

Another thread mentioned that while the TiVo web site shows all three new Roamio boxes having 1GB Ethernet, the base unit supposedly only has 10/100 MB/sec Ethernet. With a base unit on order, this is a little frustrating. How efficient is the TiVo when it comes to transferring data? How much longer will it take to move an HD episode of an hour long show from the base Roamer to my Mac using KMTTG vs doing the same transfer with the Plus or Pro? (I can do the math -- I'm really asking if the theoretical network throughput is the limiting factor, or if something else in the path diminishes the value of the 1GB interface when it comes to throughput).

John
Old 08-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #53
JohnnyO
Crimper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
If you look at that pic, you will see on both sides of the unit has vents, so the fan pulls air in by the hard drive, pulls it over and past the drive to cool it, and then blows out the back of the fan across the motherboard to the vents on the other side. right to left in the photo.
Thanks for the detailed info. I think that should do it. Since heat rises, I'm thinking I should shuffle the three components in my entertainment unit to have the heat generating A/V receiver on the top shelf, and the cooler TiVo and Blu-Ray players below it. Right now the TiVoHD is on the top of the three shelves. I do, at least, keep the doors open on that unit at all times, but it still feels warm in there.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:35 AM   #54
Series3Sub

Quote:
The Basic one uses an external power brick so if it goes it should be cheap and easy to fix. The Plus/Pro still has an internal power supply so who knows.

Yeah, and no RMA hassle with TiVo (buh, bye, recordings) handing you back a refurb with likely the same vendor PS, nor dealing with 3rd party (weeknees) having to ship back and forth. I would certainly expect Weeknees and others to sell the replacement external PS, for those who want to get from them as opposed to a compatible brick from a less expensive maker/seller.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:39 AM   #55
Series3Sub

Quote:
Oh, yeah. Very good point as others are doing the same. However, it may be a case of insuring that the proper brick is connected and avoid situation where folks who aren't as knowledgeable getting an off spec brick. If TiVo does have odd connector, fine. Just price the replacement reasonably. I really don't have a problem laying out as much as $30 plus (a big mark-up, I know) to get my TiVo back up and running and saving any shipping hassle and cost losing recordings on an exchange with TiVo (we're talking about the masses here, not our embrace of software to move recordings, etc.) or breaking the thing open as with previous models. Of course, gang, this is ONLY the Roamio we're talking about, not the Plus or Pro.

Last edited by Series3Sub : 08-22-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:00 AM   #56
Series3Sub

I would really love people to upload videos to YouTube showing us real-life UI and speed of commands and screen changes, etc in real time. I'll keep searching there each day. I feel nearly 100% I will get the Roamio for my OTA needs, but I will wait just a bit to hear of any bugs, etc. to see if I should wait longer for fixes, or, really hoping for, the Roamio performs pretty well upon release, then I'm getting one--after selling my S4's.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #57
jrtroo
User

Fyi_ hot air rises, while heat conducts. The fan is sucking out the hot air that the heatsinc pulls from the chips.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #58
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
I would really love people to upload videos to YouTube showing us real-life UI and speed of commands and screen changes, etc in real time. I'll keep searching there each day. I feel nearly 100% I will get the Roamio for my OTA needs, but I will wait just a bit to hear of any bugs, etc. to see if I should wait longer for fixes, or, really hoping for, the Roamio performs pretty well upon release, then I'm getting one--after selling my S4's.
CNet video

It doesn't show a ton of it, but they do show the UI in action.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:22 AM   #59
jcthorne

The power brick is a 12V 2 amp unit using a standard barrel connector with positive voltage on the center electrode. These will be cheap to replace if they fail.

It also means the Roamio base unit uses less power than a Premiere as the power supply is only rated at 24W max which is less than the idle power of the Premiere.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #60
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
The power brick is a 12V 2 amp unit using a standard barrel connector with positive voltage on the center electrode. These will be cheap to replace if they fail.

It also means the Roamio base unit uses less power than a Premiere as the power supply is only rated at 24W max which is less than the idle power of the Premiere.
Minor point but the brick isn't 100% efficient so it will use more than 24W max. On the other hand, the Roamio probably doesn't draw 2A on average.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote