TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
mr_smits

Roamio OTA reception?

I know the TivoHD had great OTA reception (so I've read) and the Premiere models did not. I'm interested in any experience early adopters have comparing OTA reception to previous Tivo models.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
jcthorne

I am going to find out tomorrow. My Roamio just shipped from Amazon for delivery tomorrow. I only use OTA but really have no problem with my 3 Premiers tuners.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I am going to find out tomorrow.
Excellent.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
troasti

Am I missing something?

I use my premiere with OTA. Why would I upgrade to this box? I can only upgrade to the base model with OTA. It has Amazon prime? I already have netflix and its better. All it gives me is built in wifi and 2 extra tuners? I already have hard wired ethernet.. The UI is faster? I don't think my premiere is that slow.. 200$?
troasti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
bayern_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by troasti View Post
I use my premiere with OTA. Why would I upgrade to this box? I can only upgrade to the base model with OTA. It has Amazon prime? I already have netflix and its better. All it gives me is built in wifi and 2 extra tuners? I already have hard wired ethernet.. The UI is faster? I don't think my premiere is that slow.. 200$?
Tivo does NOT currently have Amazon Prime streaming. I hope I don't sound too harsh using caps, but I want to make sure that nobody expects it only to be disappointed later on.
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
curiousgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post
Tivo does NOT currently have Amazon Prime streaming. I hope I don't sound too harsh using caps, but I want to make sure that nobody expects it only to be disappointed later on.
Gladd you did. I *almost* got a little excited for this new box.
curiousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
Bigg

Who cares about Amazon Prime? You can just pick it up on Roku...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
mattack

Quote:
Does the existing OTA capable Premiere work with the Stream? I forget.. I think so, but that's one other POSSIBLE thing.. (I only got a Premiere with the Premiere 4, and the differences I know of that one are built in Moca & digital-cable-only.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Who cares about Amazon Prime? You can just pick it up on Roku...
I do, one fewer input to switch? I don't have a Roku, but do switch to my PS3 to watch Amazon Prime Instant Video lately (watched 2 of the Bond movies so far, and am several behind on Under the Dome.. but am watching it).

If I could do it all in one box, I'd prefer it -- heck, I'd even pay a ONE TIME FEE for it to be all in one box.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:17 AM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

This is just the beginning folks. This new platform opens up all sorts of possibilities for over the top apps on TiVo. They said they are working to get more apps on the TiVo and even mentioned working on an app store. So obviously their goal is to have enough apps that they'd want people to actually have to manually pick them from a store.

That being said always buy something for what it can do now, not what it might do in the future. If it doesn't do what you want it to do now then don't buy because there is no guarantee they will ever follow through with any of this.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
SugarBowl

Quote:
It will work with the Tivo Mini. The 2 tuner Premieres will not.

I sold my 2 tuner premiere for $500 and ordered the base roamio.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
KrazyKiko

Well...I am disappointed to see that Tivo restricts choice between OTA or cable, since there is only one cable input. With our old trusty Tivo HD, at least Tivo provided two cable inputs. We have basic-basic cable, but primarily use OTA; While we do get some HD cable channels through basic-basic cable, it's helpful to switch when OTA reception stinks. I do miss not having the Premier/Roamio streaming features, as the Tivo HD stinks in this capacity. Guess I'll hope some sanity returns to Tivo's future architecture design.
KrazyKiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

Who knows? This could be the last TiVo that has OTA tuners.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
JimboG

In an effort to get back on topic, has anyone had a chance to compare the over the air reception ability of the base Roamio to the TiVo Premier, TiVo HD, or original OLED S3 TiVo?

Pulling in weak, distant stations a little better is a plus. Better multipath rejection than the TiVo Premiere is a must.
JimboG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #15
utcompeng

Smile ota performanxe

Hey Guys, I'm happy to report the tuner is a million times better than the premier. No more issues with high signal channels interfering with low signal channels. I was able to remove a splitter I was using to downgrade my signal. The tuner is just as good as my Samsung TV...enjoy!!
utcompeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #16
utcompeng

Also, the hulu app actually works on the Roamio. Previously I was never able to even launch the app on the premier.
utcompeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #17
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I do, one fewer input to switch? I don't have a Roku, but do switch to my PS3 to watch Amazon Prime Instant Video lately (watched 2 of the Bond movies so far, and am several behind on Under the Dome.. but am watching it).

If I could do it all in one box, I'd prefer it -- heck, I'd even pay a ONE TIME FEE for it to be all in one box.
I gave up on trying to keep things simple after 5th or 6th remote or something. Actually, I lost count. I think I'm around 10 remotes. I just made a schematic of the system in Excel using borders, so that my roommates know what's connected to what.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #18
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by utcompeng View Post
Hey Guys, I'm happy to report the tuner is a million times better than the premier. No more issues with high signal channels interfering with low signal channels. I was able to remove a splitter I was using to downgrade my signal. The tuner is just as good as my Samsung TV...enjoy!!
Thanks for the info. How's multipath with UHF stations. The S3 was a little better than the Premiere but high VHF was a draw.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #19
Chesterton

fringe OTA reception ?

Has anyone tried roamio in a fringe location? I'm in one and concerned about splitting antenna among four tuners vs. two on my series 3 HD oled.
Chesterton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #20
jfh3

Quote:
Agree. The signal meter seems to be re calibrated though - Roamio shows a lower signal strength than the Premiere, even though the signal appears stronger.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #21
Mister B

Let's get more reception reports

Quote:
That is certainly good news! I have a Premiere in storage that I can not use due to it's poor tuner performance and had to return to the TCD652160 model. I hope to hear more varied reports from OTA users in fringe and multipath prone reception areas.
Mister B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #22
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Agree. The signal meter seems to be re calibrated though - Roamio shows a lower signal strength than the Premiere, even though the signal appears stronger.
Splitting it 4 ways instead of 2 may account for that.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #23
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Splitting it 4 ways instead of 2 may account for that.
Ah, yes - good point.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #24
ncbill

My Roamio Basic was able to get all the main Charlotte stations, transmitters roughly 60 miles away, before it stopped working (less than 24 hours after I received it)

Previously, I could only get one station from that city on both a Premiere & TivoHD.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #25
ss-stingray
Sony DHG refugee

Your Roamio basic quit working? What's up with that? I hope it's not an overheating problem since I don't see a fan in the pictures of the back. I get my roamio Monday and hope heat isn't a issue.
ss-stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #26
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss-stingray View Post
Your Roamio basic quit working? What's up with that? I hope it's not an overheating problem since I don't see a fan in the pictures of the back. I get my roamio Monday and hope heat isn't a issue.
The fan is in the middle between the hard drive and the motherboard, blowing from side to side.

[IMG][/IMG]
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #27
ss-stingray
Sony DHG refugee

Thanks Dallas for the picture.
ss-stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #28
ncbill

Even thought it was on an open shelf before it failed my Roamio Basic got much warmer than the Premier it replaced.

It's too bad, because OTA reception was better than my Premiere, S3 OLED, or TivoHD.

I'm going to return it for a refund and monitor this forum for a few more months before I jump into any Roamio model again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss-stingray View Post

ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #29
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Even thought it was on an open shelf before it failed my Roamio Basic got much warmer than the Premier it replaced.

It's too bad, because OTA reception was better than my Premiere, S3 OLED, or TivoHD.

I'm going to return it for a refund and monitor this forum for a few more months before I jump into any Roamio model again.
Why not exchange it? Electronic failures happen. Just because yours failed doesn't mean it's epidemic of the model. Get another one, if it fails then get a refund.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #30
crobey

So I currently have an S3. I do have issues recording on a couple OTA channels. Any answers on performance in comparison to previous models?
crobey is offline   Reply With Quote