TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #31
cram501

From the discussion back then (and I haven't gone through the thread again and it's been a few years), it just sounded like a pita to update the software for that specific hardware and so it wasn't worth the effort. It didn't sound to me like it was a prom update although they never indicated what the change would be. It was just that it introduced risk that, in their view, offered very little benefit for a device that had been discontinued. I have no idea if those drivers are in the prom or on disk OS but it would seem to me to be pretty limiting to put it in the prom.

As an owner of an S3, I would have liked it to have been added. It was never a big deal and it was just one of those features that had floated out there for a while but never got implemented. In Tivos defense, they had never stated that the multi-stream cards would be added to the original S3.
cram501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #32
jadziedzic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
I'm still paying an extra $8.50 per month to Comcast for the second M-card required for the second tuner.
The cost for the second CableCARD for a device in Comcast land *should* be something like $1.50; you should be able to get a retroactive credit for that billing mistake.
jadziedzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #33
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
I "let it go" years ago, though I'm still paying an extra $8.50 per month to Comcast for the second M-card required for the second tuner.
Wow. How many years have you held on? S3 owners (like me, who paid $800 for that box) got screwed with that. TiVo dropped the ball on this one, which forced affected, early-adopter customers to pay more $ per month, and that just sucks.

I'm pretty sure my TWC fee was $2.50 for the same. Even only in principle, it pissed me off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #34
Dan203
Super Moderator

I had two S3 units with 2 CCs each in service until last summer. I think Charter charges $2-$3/each
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #35
SnakeEyes

I still want a Pony
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #36
Dan203
Super Moderator

He quit a few years ago.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #37
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I had two S3 units with 2 CCs each in service until last summer. I think Charter charges $2-$3/each
I still have 2 S-cards in a Tivo-HD. Comcast is paying me $2.50 per card for them.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #38
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I still have 2 S-cards in a Tivo-HD. Comcast is paying me $2.50 per card for them.
I have two working S3s, each with two M-cards in them. Comcast Houston no longer has S cards, so I have two Ms in each. And for some reason, not only do they not charge me, I get a credit each month of $2.50 for each cc. I actually have six cable cards on my account, so I get this huge credit (of course, that's against my $200 Comcast overall bill). I've never understood why, and am afraid to ask for fear it's a mistake
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #39
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
And I'm thinking Comcast probably charges a higher amount if you rent their own cable box, so in a sense, they're "paying you even more" for bringing your own (TiVo) box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #40
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram501 View Post
TivoPony stated a long time ago that it wasn't a hardware limitation. They just considered the customer base too small and the risk involved to high to devote development resources to it.

Post #15: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=402682
This horse is not only dead, it's already turned to dust.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #41
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziedzic View Post
The cost for the second CableCARD for a device in Comcast land *should* be something like $1.50; you should be able to get a retroactive credit for that billing mistake.
I argued this with Comcast until I was blue in the face, escalated, e-mailed, to no avail.

They charge $9.95 for each "additional outlet", which is *supposedly* each cable card. I *know* what their site says about second card in same device, but I can't get it billed that way. Worse, I took one of the "free" digital adapters when they turned off analog in my area, and after 1 year, three things have happened:

(1) The digital adapter is now $1.99, but it now counts as my FIRST OUTLET,
(2) my S3's 2 cable cards and my HD's 1 cable card are now 3*$9.95. I do get back $2.50 x 3.
(3) And most insulting is that up until Feb 2013, Comcast called my "additional outlets" as "HD Digital Starter" outlets, meaning HD was *included*. After February, they dropped "HD Digital Starter" and added a $9.95 "HD Technology Fee" on top.

I managed to get them to waive the "HD Technology Fee" for 12 months for "my trouble".

Here's what stopped me from dropping Comcast on the spot:
(1) No FiOS available in my city
(2) Verizon DSL speeds of 1 Mbps in my neighborhood
(3) My local office had originally set up my 3 cable cards as "no charge" items, so I didn't pay anything extra for them for about 4 years, until corporate "caught their billing error".

But I'm looking to get a Roamio Pro and a Mini which should save me nearly $25/month.

Frankly, it's time these "additional outlet" charges were outlawed, like they were finally outlawed in the Analog days. (Well, at least it is my recollection of what happened.)

**My apologies for going so far afield on this topic, which really doesn't fit in this thread. But now that I've written my thesis, I'm reluctant to remove it!

Last edited by bmgoodman : 08-22-2013 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Way off-topic
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #42
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
No apologies necessary, bgoodman. I certainly understand your frustration! That sounds criminal of Comcast to screw you over like that. If it were me and Comcast was my only option, I'd be tempted to move.