TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
riz

I paid $693 out the door for a Tivo XL4 and lifetime service, what Roamio...

In May I paid $693 out the door for a Tivo XL4 and lifetime service, what Roamio features are really worth all the extra cash (and it seems like it's a pretty big diff in price)

I don't really see that many software differences, are there? Speed is not a big deal to me, sure my Tivo isn't a blazer but it doesn't bother me and I don't need tivo2go...

and lastly, any chance we can expect to see the interface update on Premiere series?

thx!
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
DaveDFW

I don't think we'll know what the Roamios can do until a few people actually receive their units and run through the feature sets. We also won't know what will filter down to the Premiere unless Tivo actually makes it so, because they have a history of promising features that are never delivered.

I'm also tempted by the Roamio platform's increase in speed, but I also know from experience that every Tivo released has some major bug in its features. The Premiere's shortcomings are well-known at this point. What is broken in the Roamio that we just don't know about yet?
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
NoVa

I would wait before jumping to the Roamio.
No doubt the specs on paper are a big step up.

But like you & previous posters have pointed out: Speed is not a big deal to some & early adoption is a sickness full of bugs & early costs.

Similar to you I spent some around $550 for a P4 with Lifetime. The speed is a non-issue for me since it's been like this also with DVD's & BD's standard operating practices for year.

Otherwise, MOCA is built-in so I have the Mini.
The menus are no big deal killer.
The 4 tuners are enough for now.
Dynamic tuner allocation isn't a big hurdle yet for me.
Wifi = what for?
& some of the new Roamio software features may even get passed on to the Premiere 4/4XL too if we are to believe the press reports.

So, I'll let the early adopters enjoy the moment of glory...& associated frustration.
Heck people already sound exasperated BEFORE even the first models have shipped!

I'll stick to my m.o. of not buying any new technology or car in its first year.
NoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
riz

I don't see any big software improvements per se. Is that true? and why wouldn't we expect a software update to the new UI on Premiere units?
Old 08-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
jessehere

aren't the premieres due for a software update this fall?
jessehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Philmatic

Extra tuners (Either 4 on the base model and 6 Cable on the Plus/Pro)
Massively improved UI response
Minor changes throughout the UI
Dynamic Tuner Allocation for the TiVo Mini (This will trickle down to the Premiere eventually)
WiFi
RF Remote
Integrated TiVo Stream
New HTML 5 Application platform for apps (which means we now have the latest and greatest Netflix and YouTube apps)
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
NoVa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessehere View Post
aren't the premieres due for a software update this fall?
Hearsay but no confirm ever on anything from TiVo.
NoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz View Post
I don't see any big software improvements per se. Is that true? and why wouldn't we expect a software update to the new UI on Premiere units?
I view the change to html5 (instead of flash) as a basis for apps to be a major software improvement. It should mean a large speed improvement for apps, and more importantly means the Roamios will get the latest apps from content sources much quicker. At this point, I doubt either Netflix or Amazon will be interested in updating their flash apps on the Premieres. Since apps have to be written by the content sources, I think the Premieres will be stuck with what they have now - it seems unlikely that the Premieres has the horsepower to run html5 in addition to what it is running now.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
bradleys
It'll be fine....

One of the big changes in the Roamio line is the move from Adobe Air to HTML5 for OTA apps like Netflix and Youtube.

Both of these services have already been updated and all reports are they are significantly better - with DIAL support as an added bonus.

Future plans are additional OTA apps and eventually an App Store - none of this will be included in the Premier line of TiVo's
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
riz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I view the change to html5 (instead of flash) as a basis for apps to be a major software improvement. It should mean a large speed improvement for apps, and more importantly means the Roamios will get the latest apps from content sources much quicker. At this point, I doubt either Netflix or Amazon will be interested in updating their flash apps on the Premieres. Since apps have to be written by the content sources, I think the Premieres will be stuck with what they have now - it seems unlikely that the Premieres has the horsepower to run html5 in addition to what it is running now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
One of the big changes in the Roamio line is the move from Adobe Air to HTML5 for OTA apps like Netflix and Youtube.

Both of these services have already been updated and all reports are they are significantly better - with DIAL support as an added bonus.

Future plans are additional OTA apps and eventually an App Store - none of this will be included in the Premier line of TiVo's
Ya, that is some interesting stuff and has me intrigued but at this point, I think we are aways away from those features being a big and dramatic leaps over my XL4. Next year tho, when prices come down and Tivo will play long time customer ball with us, it would be a worthy switch it appears...
Old 08-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
...Massively improved UI response....
Define "massively".....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Define "massively".....
Have you ever used a Mini? Basically it responds to every button press immediately like you'd expect.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
stujac

If you want to use the antenna you need the cheapest one they offer. Just add a hard drive when weeknees makes it available (or DVR Dude).
Old 08-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
mattack

Much faster + more tuners + built in Tivo Stream capability.

I'm NOT one to be an early adopter, in fact I'm usually exactly the opposite.. but if I knew for sure I could trade my lifetime TivoHD + tivo stream + lifetime P4 for a 6 tuner roamio, I would.. and it seems like that's probably a reasonably close comparison..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #15
buscuitboy

Yea, I was tempted to try one of these Roamios (base model or the plus), but I wound up just pulling the trigger and getting a 4-tuner Premiere for much less. Personally, it should fit my needs for now.

While I personally don't have any need for a mini right now, I might in the future and these older 4-tuner models will work with them. Also, its suppose to get an update this fall to allow the mini for dynamic tuner allocation (instead of the current dedicated) so that could be something I could take advantage of as well. This is actually the ONLY reason I would possibly get a mini anyway as it would be used in a room that isn't used frequently and I don't want it to "lock" down a tuner all the time. Will see.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #16
mattack

Do you want to pay $693 for my Premiere 4 with lifetime, and I'll even throw in a Tivo Stream and free shipping?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
trade
Tivo Addict

I recently published a post about this situation as user of a Tivo Elite and no incentives to upgrade.

You can read at this link http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23#post9785923

Qnap TS-469L NAS 8TB WD Red
Sony StreamPlayer NP-2000
Apple TV 3
trade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #18
holycrap

I get the boxes getting faster and have always accepted that as I've moved up the line, but I'm annoyed that I've got two Streams (one in each home) I purchased early on at full price which now have very little resale value give (i) the recent sale and glitch with the Grouper code and (ii) new boxes don't need the Stream.
holycrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #19
waterchange

My general rule is that resale value of any used electronics equipment is 50% at best. You can probably still sell your used Streams for $60 to $70 which I think is pretty good/fair. So I myself wouldn't consider that little resale value.
waterchange is offline   Reply With Quote