TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 4.64 average.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #121
Dan203
Super Moderator

The POE filter does two things....

1) It prevents your neighbors from potentially getting on your network if it's not encrypted.

2) It prevents your MoCa signal from interfering with your neighbors services.

Some cable companies actually require them for MoCa and will give you one for free if you ask.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #122
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
The MoCA filter on the modem does absolutely nothing. The legitimate debate is whether you need one at the point of entry, and from what I've heard, the answer is usually no, but sometimes yes.
I have about 12 cable runs from the cable amp in the cellar, the Moca feed comes down one of these runs and I have a POE filter on the input of the amp, I also put filters on some runs that don't need Moca including the modem, does this give more Moca speed ?, I don't know but it does not seem like it does any harm, and POE filters are not that much money.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #123
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The POE filter does two things....

1) It prevents your neighbors from potentially getting on your network if it's not encrypted.

2) It prevents your MoCa signal from interfering with your neighbors services.

Some cable companies actually require them for MoCa and will give you one for free if you ask.
I just ordered the ActionTec pair from TiVo for my neighbor. I didn't notice the POE filter. Owell. I'll probably need a third bridge for him soon.

TiVo's price of $89.99 was a better deal than elsewhere, even after adding shipping and tax. It's $10 less than even Amazon Prime.

Will I need to check or upgrade the firmware?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #124
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I went back to tivo.com and ordered the third MOCA and the POE filter. I'm going to call first thing to see if they can combine the orders to save me $9 in shipping.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #125
Bigg

I just encrypted mine, and I don't have a PoE filter.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #126
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I just installed my Actiontec MOCA adapter mesh for my neighbor.

I made a mistake at first that I figured out. I put the main cable feed into the 1st MOCA through the POE and ran the TV/STB output to the house splitter. WRONG!

The cable IN sides of the MOCAs have to see each other. The signal is not on the output port. The clue was when the "Coax" light on the node doesn't come on.

I have the 3 node mesh working and it's blazing fast. The wiring is very complicated as the DD-WRT WiFI router is upstairs so the cable internet goes up to go in, and the output feed goes to the MOCA back in the basement. Besides that one of the nodes feeds a second WiFi router running DD-WRT to bring a signal to the third level with a (now) wired WDS mesh.

In the end the wired throughput is sensational. The Roku and a Mac Mini media server now wired in were screaming fast.

My bud kept telling me he was "getting 4 bars" upstairs but I tried to tell him that doesn't mean anything. Actual throughput through the 2nd wireless AP on the dedicated MOCA 2nd wireless AP should be great now, too, though.

We may add a 4th MOCA node to bring wired net to the office on the 2nd level.

Do not try this at home. I am a professional.

I just have to swap my 4 port splitter for an 8 port and clean up a buncha long cables.
UVerse and OTA

Old 07-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #127
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
I just installed my Actiontec MOCA adapter mesh for my neighbor.

I made a mistake at first that I figured out. I put the main cable feed into the 1st MOCA through the POE and ran the TV/STB output to the house splitter. WRONG!

The cable IN sides of the MOCAs have to see each other. The signal is not on the output port. The clue was when the "Coax" light on the node doesn't come on.

I have the 3 node mesh working and it's blazing fast. The wiring is very complicated as the DD-WRT WiFI router is upstairs so the cable internet goes up to go in, and the output feed goes to the MOCA back in the basement. Besides that one of the nodes feeds a second WiFi router running DD-WRT to bring a signal to the third level with a (now) wired WDS mesh.

In the end the wired throughput is sensational. The Roku and a Mac Mini media server now wired in were screaming fast.

My bud kept telling me he was "getting 4 bars" upstairs but I tried to tell him that doesn't mean anything. Actual throughput through the 2nd wireless AP on the dedicated MOCA 2nd wireless AP should be great now, too, though.

We may add a 4th MOCA node to bring wired net to the office on the 2nd level.

Do not try this at home. I am a professional.

I just have to swap my 4 port splitter for an 8 port and clean up a buncha long cables.
Well, all is not all sweetness...

The furthest away ActionTec MoCa adapter won't connect on the coax. I fear that the cable run might be more than 300 feet but that seems unlikely.

I did some minimal hacking and found which cable it's on, and made sure that all of the MoCAs are on one splitter. I brought that adapter to the splitter and verified that it can talk to it's brothers. While Iw as at it I verified that using the old 1000MHz (1GHz) splitter WILL NOT WORK with the MoCA signal.

I have a 4 port 1500Mhz splitter. I'm temporarily feeding the old splitter from it. I have an 8 port splitter on order.

I found this decent article:
http://www.cablefax.com/tech/section...res/44237.html

Based on that I'm going to try putting the two units back to back on the cable run for testing, and removing the 2nd splitter, and/or the unused and unterminated cables from the other splitter.

More Anon. I'm having a hard time getting enough hacking time access.
UVerse and OTA

Old 07-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #128
L David Matheny

Quote:

The furthest away ActionTec MoCa adapter won't connect on the coax. I fear that the cable run might be more than 300 feet but that seems unlikely.

I did some minimal hacking and found which cable it's on, and made sure that all of the MoCAs are on one splitter. I brought that adapter to the splitter and verified that it can talk to it's brothers. While Iw as at it I verified that using the old 1000MHz (1GHz) splitter WILL NOT WORK with the MoCA signal.

I have a 4 port 1500Mhz splitter. I'm temporarily feeding the old splitter from it. I have an 8 port splitter on order.

I found this decent article:
http://www.cablefax.com/tech/section...res/44237.html

Based on that I'm going to try putting the two units back to back on the cable run for testing, and removing the 2nd splitter, and/or the unused and unterminated cables from the other splitter.

How old are the coaxial cable runs? Are they all RG6, or could some of them be older RG59, which loses more signal over distance?
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #129
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I may end up having to add Powerline Ethernet.

Whatta mess.
UVerse and OTA

Old 08-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #130
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:

I got back to it. SUCCESS!

I think the two main issues were not really knowing which cable went to the node I was looking at, and having the second splitter with unterminated ports.

Step 1: I powered off MoCA #2 which was working.

Hacking: I thought I had just the #1 "source" (feed) and #3 client MoCa on the one cable and THAT didn't work.

Step 2: I was about to bin everything when I connected the source back to the 4 port (only) splitter and got the green LED. We had the Coax link on both sides!

Step 3: Powered up #2 and it joined the two others.

Discussions above led me to believe that the first pair of adapters choose whatever frequencies they can talk on, so I wanted the two farthest nodes to negotiate first.

I also dropped of 3 Zyxel Powerline modules which connected fine.

Then with a few more hours of hacking an checking I got the DD-WRT nodes talking happy with WDS. (turns out they were Ok from the beginning, but I changed the channel and got the far client to connect to the nearest AP.) I put 15DB antennas on the WRT-54G node.

It turned out that I needed to have only 3 RF outlets live for now, so I left it solely on the 4 port splitter. I'll swap in the 8 port splitter when my terminators get here Tuesday.
WOOT!
UVerse and OTA

Old 08-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #131
b_scott
TiVo Fan

my parents may get an XL4 and a mini.

Can I just set up an adapter connected to my router, and then screw in both Tivos through Coax as normal and have them both connect? They would both be in different rooms than the router.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #132
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
my parents may get an XL4 and a mini.

Can I just set up an adapter connected to my router, and then screw in both Tivos through Coax as normal and have them both connect? They would both be in different rooms than the router.
It should work, yep. See installation option #2 of the original post.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #133
NoVa

Any pros vs. cons with connecting via Coax vs. Ethernet?

I have both @ each jack location.
NoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #134
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa View Post

Ethernet is by far the best, Moca over Coax is the next best for TiVo, most people do not have Ethernet at each of their TV/TiVo locations.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #135
jmpage2

Quote:

The advantage of going MoCa is that you won't be loading up your LAN with traffic to and from the TiVos. Video streaming uses a lot of bandwidth. By using MoCa you are segregating the bandwidth intensive media streaming of the TiVos away from anything else you might be doing on your local wired network.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #136
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Ethernet is by far the best, Moca over Coax is the next best for TiVo, most people do not have Ethernet at each of their TV/TiVo locations.
From a user perspective there will be no difference whether MoCA or Ethernet is used.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #137
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
The advantage of going MoCa is that you won't be loading up your LAN with traffic to and from the TiVos. Video streaming uses a lot of bandwidth. By using MoCa you are segregating the bandwidth intensive media streaming of the TiVos away from anything else you might be doing on your local wired network.
If you only have a 100mb/s back bone then there will certainly be issues, but a gigabit backbone shouldn't cause any problems for a normal user.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #138
NoVa

Quote:
I don't have software that needs to be fed over my Cat6 wired LAN...yet...in my house.
One day in the near future maybe feeding ripped video's via Cat6 from a NAS.
But nothing now.

I think my previous idea was to use the Cat6 ethernet to handle HDMI remote controlling components from a central remote location.

Now with the Mini, it's all about getting the best picture over to a secondary & tertiary locale.

So is my Coax limited in bandwidth & I should be using the Cat6 for 1080i TivO Recording & possible future Netflix streaming?
Does using one or the other affect PQ?

Last edited by NoVa : 08-19-2013 at 02:22 PM.
NoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #139
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
If you only have a 100mb/s back bone then there will certainly be issues, but a gigabit backbone shouldn't cause any problems for a normal user.
As I'm sure you are aware, many of us aren't "normal" users. My wired LAN is often saturated with things like multiple time machine backups to a high speed NAS that might simultaneously be streaming videos to media devices. I don't need TiVo competing for the bandwidth that's left.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #140
jmpage2

Quote:
I don't have software that needs to be fed over my Cat6 wired LAN...yet...in my house.
One day in the near future maybe feeding ripped video's via Cat6 from a NAS.
But nothing now.

I think my previous idea was to use the Cat6 ethernet to handle HDMI remote controlling components from a central remote location.

Now with the Mini, it's all about getting the best picture over to a secondary & tertiary locale.

So is my Coax limited in bandwidth & I should be using the Cat6 for 1080i TivO Recording & possible future Netflix streaming?
Does using one or the other affect PQ?
There is absolutely no difference in PQ with the Mini when using Coax (MoCA) or Ethernet.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:25 AM   #141
BigJimOutlaw

Tweaked the OP for Roamio information. The 4-tuner Roamio not having native MoCA really does complicate the wording.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #142
ScaryMike

First off, thank you for this information! I'm trying my best to understand how this works and I do have a working setup. however, I think I'm running and extra Moca Adapter for no reason. I've made a chart to show my setup, and what I THINK i can make my setup to eliminate one of the adapters. However, my goal is not to have the Tivo use moca for its connection, but to make my router speak to my Ethernet HUB upstairs via moca.

Note: My cable modem, router and my Tivo Premier are right next to each other.

Please advise if my alternative setup will work. Thank you!:

ScaryMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #143
jmpage2

ScaryMike, you can eliminate all of your MoCA adapters.

The Premiere XL4 has an integrated MoCA to ethernet bridge. Simply connect the XL4 via Ethernet and enable MoCA + Ethernet in the settings. All other devices on your network that want to use the MoCA connection will have it supplied via this bridge. There is no need for adapters on any other device with an integrated MoCA client (like the TiVo Mini for example).
Old 08-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #144
ScaryMike

Quote:
ScaryMike, you can eliminate all of your MoCA adapters.

The Premiere XL4 has an integrated MoCA to ethernet bridge. Simply connect the XL4 via Ethernet and enable MoCA + Ethernet in the settings. All other devices on your network that want to use the MoCA connection will have it supplied via this bridge. There is no need for adapters on any other device with an integrated MoCA client (like the TiVo Mini for example).
Wouldn't I still need an adapter upstairs to "bridge" my hub to my wireless router? There is no Ethernet connection between the wireless router and the hub, and the upstairs tivo is an old TivoHD.

Thank you.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #145
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryMike View Post
Wouldn't I still need an adapter upstairs to "bridge" my hub to my wireless router? There is no Ethernet connection between the wireless router and the hub, and the upstairs tivo is an old TivoHD.

Thank you.
Is your plan to replace the "old TiVo" with a Mini?

The thing I think you are missing is that the XL4 serves the function of bridging the MoCA to the ENTIRE rest of your network. As long as the XL4 has ethernet and that ethernet connection is viable across the network then any device with MoCA that connects via Coax will connect via the XL4s MoCA bridge and that device will have access to every part of your network that the XL4 does (this extends of course to the internet).

//edit
Looking again at your diagram I see the source of the confusion. You simply have no ethernet at all at the upstairs location and are using MoCA there to extend the network.

If you can't run an ethernet cable to the upstairs location, then the Actiontec adapter should get its connection via the XL4, which will have an ethernet/internet connection to the primary network. You will only need the one MoCA adapter in the network.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #146
ScaryMike

Quote:
Is your plan to replace the "old TiVo" with a Mini?

The thing I think you are missing is that the XL4 serves the function of bridging the MoCA to the ENTIRE rest of your network. As long as the XL4 has ethernet and that ethernet connection is viable across the network then any device with MoCA that connects via Coax will connect via the XL4s MoCA bridge and that device will have access to every part of your network that the XL4 does (this extends of course to the internet).

//edit
Looking again at your diagram I see the source of the confusion. You simply have no ethernet at all at the upstairs location and are using MoCA there to extend the network.

If you can't run an ethernet cable to the upstairs location, then the Actiontec adapter should get its connection via the XL4, which will have an ethernet/internet connection to the primary network. You will only need the one MoCA adapter in the network.
Thanks! Thats what I was hoping! I'm going to redo to the new setup this weekend (I'm also replacing the premier with a Roamio Plus and the old tivo with a Mini, which I realize will change the setup a bit upstairs too. but at least I now know how to do it).
Old 08-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #147
ScaryMike

So I attempted to use my new Roamio Plus as the Moca bridge, but every-time I enabled it, my downstream would go from -3.5 to -10 and my cable modem would lose its lock and my internet would go out.

Any thoughts on why this would be? See the diagram I posted a few posts up, and look at the bottom one to see the setup that this is not happening on.

If I use a moca adapter BEFORE the 3 way splitter, I have no signal strength issues. Its when I take the adapter out, and use the roamio as the moca bridge, that i can no longer get internet.

Thanks.

Last edited by ScaryMike : 08-26-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #148
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryMike View Post
So I attempted to use my new Roamio Plus as the Moca bridge, but every-time I enabled it, my downstream would go from -3.5 to -10 or and my cable modem would lose its lock and my internet would go out.

Any thoughts on why this would be? See the diagram I posted a few posts up, and look at the bottom one to see the setup that this is not happening on.

If I use a moca adapter BEFORE the 3 way splitter, I have no signal strength issues. Its when i take the adapter out, and use the roamio as the moca bridge, that i can no longer get internet.

Thanks.
Some cable modems have filters to block MoCA signals. My Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 has such a filter.

You could try manually configuring the MoCA setup with a different channel to see if that helps.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:07 AM   #149
nealm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Pro Tip:

Using MoCA setup option #2 for your P4/XL4/Roamio Plus/Roamio Pro? Connect your Smart TV, Blu-ray player, Roku, game console, or other device to the Tivo's Ethernet port! Those devices can be daisy chained off your Tivo's MoCA connection. (If you want to connect multiple devices, you can get a cheap Ethernet hub and plug it into the Tivo's port too.)

If there are ideas or things missed in the guide (but remember it's not a complete and total MoCA FAQ, just a setup guide) then post them here. I'll add them!
Can a device be plugged into the Tivo Mini ethernet port and daisy chain off of the MoCA network? Thanks!
Old 08-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #150
Scooby Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealm View Post
Can a device be plugged into the Tivo Mini ethernet port and daisy chain off of the MoCA network? Thanks!
Unfortunately no.
Scooby Doo is offline   Reply With Quote