TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
Dan203
Super Moderator

Out of home streaming

Apparently as part of the new Series 5 release they are ulgrading the Stream to support out of hime streaming. So now you can watch shows on the road like a Slingbox. No word on exactly when this feature will be available, but several of the reviews of the new S5 mention it's coming and Engadget mentioned using it with a Stream and not just the internal Stream of the new box.

This will be great for those that travel a lot or who have an MSO that makes excessive use of the CCI bit.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Apparently as part of the new Series 5 release they are ulgrading the Stream to support out of hime streaming. So now you can watch shows on the road like a Slingbox. No word on exactly when this feature will be available, but several of the reviews of the new S5 mention it's coming and Engadget mentioned using it with a Stream and not just the internal Stream of the new box.

This will be great for those that travel a lot or who have an MSO that makes excessive use of the CCI bit.

After the speed improvements, this is the biggest feature for the new Tivo Series 5. It definitely keeps at bay my interest in switching to Dish for their Slingbox style remote viewing. Hopefully this new feature will be available soon.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

I see the term "coming soon" used in a few places Dan. That scares me. DTA on the Mini was "coming soon" too.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
Das Achteck

From the press release:

Coming very soon, out-of-home streaming will allow subscribers to stream TV and recorded shows to your iPad® or iPhone®. The built-in TiVo Stream feature allows users to connect to their Roamio over Wi-Fi and watch recordings and cable channels almost ANYWHERE.**

** Streaming is restricted to a limited number of devices owned by the TiVo subscriber. Due to content provider restrictions, not all content can be streamed out of home and some content may only be streamed while a mobile device is on the same local network as the subscriber's DVR. Mobile devices sold separately.
Das Achteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
DTA on the Mini was "coming soon" too.
And according to a tweet from Margret DTA is available today for Mini users with a Roamio. I don't think we'll see it on the Premiere until the next software update though, which is probably a few weeks out.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Austin Bike

Once DTA is available, will we be able to use a mini with a 2 tuner model?
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Achteck View Post
Due to content provider restrictions, not all content can be streamed out of home and some content may only be streamed while a mobile device is on the same local network as the subscriber's DVR. Mobile devices sold separately.
Ugh, so that means I basically wouldn't be able to stream anything outside of my home thanks to Brighthouse's liberal application of the CCI flag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
button1066

Presumably the out of home streaming will involve lower resolutions and bit rates than the two options currently available especially since 3G/4G is supported. The out of home aspect came out of the blue for me and is something I'll be using for sure.
button1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #9
Das Achteck

Quote:
And according to a tweet from Margret DTA is available today for Mini users with a Roamio. I don't think we'll see it on the Premiere until the next software update though, which is probably a few weeks out.
This does not look promising.

https://tivo.com/shop/mini

"TiVo Roamio DVRs allow for dynamic tuner allocation, so the tuner is only used when the Mini needs it and is released back to the DVR for use when the TiVo Mini isn’t in use. TiVo Premiere DVRs do NOT support dynamic tuner allocation, so any Mini connected to a Premiere is allocated a constantly dedicated tuner and therefore reduces the tuners available for the Premiere DVR."
Old 08-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #10
ahwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Ugh, so that means I basically wouldn't be able to stream anything outside of my home thanks to Brighthouse's liberal application of the CCI flag.
I'm also with Bright House and I'm hoping that we will be able to stream copy protected content out of network or else It would severely cripple this feature. I wish TiVo was more clear about what exactly we can stream away from home...
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Achteck View Post
This does not look promising.

https://tivo.com/shop/mini

"TiVo Roamio DVRs allow for dynamic tuner allocation, so the tuner is only used when the Mini needs it and is released back to the DVR for use when the TiVo Mini isn’t in use. TiVo Premiere DVRs do NOT support dynamic tuner allocation, so any Mini connected to a Premiere is allocated a constantly dedicated tuner and therefore reduces the tuners available for the Premiere DVR."
They promised DTA for Premieres long ago. If they back out now they're going to have a lot of p*ssed off customers. I'm betting it part of the Fall update.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
windracer
joined the 10k club

Do we have any idea on how this is actually going to work? Will it require UPnP on the router? With all the "hoops" I had to jump through to get the TiVo app to think it was on my home network and properly route Bonour traffic with OpenVPN, I'm curious as to how this will "just work" for the average home user.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
Das Achteck

According to the WSJ review, that would be October or November for out of home going live so presumably we will know then about DTA for the Premiere.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
severe

As both a Premiere and Slingbox owner, this feature is one I've been most interested in. Consolidating the features would remove the Slingbox from the tangled mess that is my entertainment center.

However, I'd like to know the quality of the streams. Also, the Slingbox enables one to stream to their mobile devices and through a browser window on a computer, which really makes it convenient for almost anywhere you may want to view your TV remotely. And with no application to download. Just sign-in, on a supported browser (Safari, Firefox, or Chrome), and view.

What are the odds TiVo will include browser viewing?
severe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe View Post
What are the odds TiVo will include browser viewing?
I keep saying this, maybe just so I will believe it myslef - But, I think TiVo has an updated TiVo desktop in mind for the PC market that will support the stream.

I have a couple of reasons for believing this - One small clue is the simple image on their whole home service advertisement.

But, this is just a rumor, that I am trying to start!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

At the Cable Show in June they showed a complete TiVo UI running in a browser, with the ability to play shows. It was for some Charter CloudTV thing, but if they release that for retail users then it would open up streaming to any device with a browser.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #17
Austin Bike

If streaming works on any device with a browser, then android support is partially there. They just need to get the download piece.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #18
severe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
One small clue is the simple image on their whole home service advertisement...
Quote:
At the Cable Show in June they showed a complete TiVo UI running in a browser, with the ability to play shows...
Nice. Thank you.

Looking forward to the official roll out and reading reports on stream quality.
severe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #19
Austin Bike

Roamio has 3 models. The low end model does not have Stream built in, it is an option.

This says 2 things to me:

1. Tivo will not abandon Stream, there will have to be future support because they need it for Roamio.

2. If Roamio has "remote streaming" (i.e. outside of your local network) and some models of Roamio require stream, there is a possibility that the functionality *could* come to premiere on Stream as well.

Interesting times ahead.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #20
buscuitboy

For ANY TiVo, I personally would not expect a total slingbox like feature for live TV OUTSIDE the home anytime soon. ALL cable companies still do not allow this & I suspect they won't allow a TiVo to allow it either.

Maybe streaming recorded material outside the home is more likely, but I would not count on live streaming outside the home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
Once DTA is available, will we be able to use a mini with a 2 tuner model?
And I HIGHLY doubt this will happen either.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #21
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
Maybe streaming recorded material outside the home is more likely, but I would not count on live streaming outside the home.
Well, streaming live TV actually doesn't work at all on the Stream. You have to initiate a recording, then you can start to stream that recording locally.

I do not expect this to change - if they add streaming outside the home to the TiVo Stream and the Premier line, it will only support streaming of recorded content. Exactly they way it works today.

My concern is quality.

If you are looking for Netflix style stream quality, I think we will be disapointed. You have two bottlenecks - upload from your local environment and download from the internet. I will guarentee that your (the royal your) jacked up network setup is going to choke and cough a lot with this setup.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #22
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Well, streaming live TV actually doesn't work at all on the Stream. You have to initiate a recording, then you can start to stream that recording locally.

I do not expect this to change - if they add streaming outside the home to the TiVo Stream and the Premier line, it will only support streaming of recorded content. Exactly they way it works today.

My concern is quality.

If you are looking for Netflix style stream quality, I think we will be disapointed. You have two bottlenecks - upload from your local environment and download from the internet. I will guarentee that your (the royal your) jacked up network setup is going to choke and cough a lot with this setup.
Ya streaming outside of my home is a non-starter for me. I have to use frontier DSL (no other option) and my upload speeds (tested to a local frontier server) never get above 0.35 Mbps.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #23
Dan203
Super Moderator

They said they will have downloads outside the home as well, so maybe you'll still be able to, slowly, download a show outside the home. Probably better to do that before you leave, but if something doesn't air until after you're on your trip it'll be an option.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #24
Austin Bike

What is this "live TV" that people talk of? Is that the thing with all of the commercials?

I think the only time I ever watch live TV is for football games. If I am in a hotel in Beijing or Moscow I just want access to recorded TV. Live TV is fairly worthless for me because the time zones are screwy.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #25
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
2. If Roamio has "remote streaming" (i.e. outside of your local network) and some models of Roamio require stream, there is a possibility that the functionality *could* come to premiere on Stream as well.
I think it's more than a possibility.

The reviewers *have* been using a Tivo Stream with this capability..

Yes, *technically* they could be using a mockup running on the Stream that will only officially come out on the Roamio.. but I don't think so.. Esp since the low end Roamio doesn't have a built in Stream.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:12 AM   #26
zgamer

Technically it does work now...if you have the pipe and can place a vpn tunnel in-front of the mini back to where the main tivo is. Most people don't have the large upload pipes currently for it.
zgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #27
Austin Bike

Yeah, upload pipe is an issue today, but Austin gets google fiber next year
Old 08-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #28
Dan203
Super Moderator

I noticed last night there was an ad for the Roamio on the discovery bar of my Premiere. I clicked it just to check it out and one of the things they were advertising was outside the home streaming coming this Fall. So if they don't follow through on this I would be shocked. It seems like it's one of the core features they're using to sell the new unit.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #29
ShayL

Didn't the prerelease reviewers test the out of home streaming?
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

Engadget did. Must have been a beta, but at least we know they're working on it.