TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
danthefan

Roamio Pro - The Good, the Bad & the Unkown?

So I'm on the fence on buying the Roamio Pro. There are a lot of things to like, but quite a few things I'm disappointed aren't yet available. Here's my list of good, bad and unknown. Please add to it as you see fit.

The Good
  • New hardware should be much faster
  • 6 tuners
  • Updated interface
  • Built-in streaming capability
  • Built-in Wi-Fi support (which I don't use)

The Bad?
  • Streaming not available, yet
  • Android streaming support not available, yet
  • Windows PC streaming support not available, and no signs of it in the future
  • $600 (ouch) + $400 lifetime service (ouch) = $1000 (double ouch)
  • No THX certification?

The Unknown?
  • Will 6 channel support work with Time Warner tuning adapter in Raleigh, NC? It's unclear how many channels the tuning adapters support.
  • Will streaming be supported for Time Warner cable channels? Currently with my Premiere I can only download over-the-air channels to the TiVo Desktop. The other channels are copyright protected.
  • No Sirius XM streaming capability? (this would be a really nice addition)

What am I missing from these lists?

I'm also disappointed that TiVo won't offer better pricing for long time TiVo customers or the ability to transfer lifetime service. I've been a customer since the first 14 and 30 hour TiVo Series 1. I still own 4 TiVos, including 3 Series 2s and 1 Premiere. I know they've got to make money, but it's still disappointing.

Regards, Daniel
danthefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
celtic pride

I wish tivo would at least reduce the price of lifetime service everytime you upgrade to a new tivo to $199.00 or less. $399.00 is too high for me therefore i wont be able to get the new roamio, which means i either keep mt premiere 2 tuner dvrs or switch to directv and get the 5 tuner genie.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
I wish tivo would at least reduce the price of lifetime service everytime you upgrade to a new tivo to $199.00 or less. $399.00 is too high for me therefore i wont be able to get the new roamio, which means i either keep mt premiere 2 tuner dvrs or switch to directv and get the 5 tuner genie.
Where do they make their money then? Historically, they lose money on every hardware sale except the highest end machine (average loss historically has been in the 30-40% range). They make up their lost money on the service.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
rogmatic

Although I normally think chasing volume over margins is a bad strategy, Tivo would probably benefit by driving up sales to reduce the public's dependence on cable boxes.
rogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
How much will the 5 tuner genie save you over 3 years compared to buying a Roamio?
trip1eX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthefan View Post
  • Will streaming be supported for Time Warner cable channels? Currently with my Premiere I can only download over-the-air channels to the TiVo Desktop. The other channels are copyright protected.
Nothing can change with regards to this as the cable company sets the restrictions. Streaming will work of course and downloads or MRV will be disabled for most channels on TWC.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Where do they make their money then? Historically, they lose money on every hardware sale except the highest end machine (average loss historically has been in the 30-40% range). They make up their lost money on the service.
I don't know about the Roamio line, but supposedly, they had gotten their subsidies way down on the Premiere line. I believe it was at the point that the Premiere 4 and XL4 were not actually subsidized.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
I don't know about the Roamio line, but supposedly, they had gotten their subsidies way down on the Premiere line. I believe it was at the point that the Premiere 4 and XL4 were not actually subsidized.
Yes, absolutely. This last year (2013 fiscal year) was the lowest subsidy that I remember since they started to build their own hardware. But it was still almost 20% when averaged over all their units. I expect that number to go up for a year or two with the new hardware line.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
jrtroo
User

Quote:
The Bad?[list]
[*]Streaming not available, yet
Streaming is really broad- I suggest that you explain this a bit better for your readers. I *assume* you mean outside of the wifi environment, but someone coming in clean to this may completely misunderstand what you are saying.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
josborne

TWC makes the Streaming feature useless

Anyone with TWC knows they lock down pretty much all shows so when the TIVO Streamer came out the only thing it could do in my household is just that, streaming to an iPhone or iPad. The killer feature that most would want it for is the ability to take content on the go which TWC doesn't allow because of it's copy protection. I am curious if you will be able to stream TWC copy protected shows outside the home....that would be interesting, but still not as conveniant as being able to put the content on your portable device.
josborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by josborne View Post
Anyone with TWC knows they lock down pretty much all shows so when the TIVO Streamer came out the only thing it could do in my household is just that, streaming to an iPhone or iPad. The killer feature that most would want it for is the ability to take content on the go which TWC doesn't allow because of it's copy protection. I am curious if you will be able to stream TWC copy protected shows outside the home....that would be interesting, but still not as conveniant as being able to put the content on your portable device.

They don't lock down broadcast shows. I mean, i'm not discounting your complaint, but roughly 60% of what I watch is broadcast.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #12
zgamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
They don't lock down broadcast shows. I mean, i'm not discounting your complaint, but roughly 60% of what I watch is broadcast.

That was the nice thing about analog cable, portability.

The trick with going OTA + online content is finding the content you want. Outside of live sports most content is available online these days...just with Roamio would allow us to access it natively.
zgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
randywalters
AVS Old Timer

Quote:
What am I missing from these lists?
No Antenna tuner. Completely kills any chance of me buying one.

Premiere 2TB, Series3 OLED w/500GB, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, URC R40 Remote, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
randywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
bayern_fan

The Good: Built-in MoCa
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #15
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by randywalters View Post
No Antenna tuner. Completely kills any chance of me buying one.
That is what the base unit is for... 4 tuners, no waiting!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josborne View Post
Anyone with TWC knows they lock down pretty much all shows...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
They don't lock down broadcast shows...
If the FCC didn't have a mandate that broadcast programs have to be free of copy protection, TWC would lock those too. They are the worst copy-protection abusers.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #17
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

On the main TiVo page it says "from the backyard.to the car. to 3500 feet away" which you can watch your recording.

That wireless card inside must be a little beast, .66 miles is huge for wifi.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #18
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

The bad: No HDMI-CEC support.

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #19
randywalters
AVS Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Well they screwed that up too - unlike my S3 the Roamio only only has one RF input and it's tuner is unable to simultaneously tune both my antenna channels AND my cable channels like i do seamlessly with my S3. I use both sources equally every day. Man this is such a letdown.

Premiere 2TB, Series3 OLED w/500GB, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, URC R40 Remote, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
randywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #20
bucm4sko24wle2mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
They make up their lost money on the service.
True, but I respectfully submit that asking price is still steep, IMHO.
bucm4sko24wle2mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #21
bucm4sko24wle2mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I concur with RandyWalters. I think the Pro should have the OTA support included.
bucm4sko24wle2mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #22
JWhites

I'd love to know if the new remote is backward compatible with Premiere's and older TiVo's since I just might have to order them to get the family used to the new button layouts before any Roamios are ordered.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:09 AM   #23
Game Master

On the main TiVo page it says From the backyard to 30,000 feet. How long is that?
Game Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #24
bfollowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Master View Post
On the main TiVo page it says From the backyard to 30,000 feet. How long is that?

About 5.7 miles!
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #25
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
I'd love to know if the new remote is backward compatible with Premiere's and older TiVo's since I just might have to order them to get the family used to the new button layouts before any Roamios are ordered.
For RF mode, a Roamio device will not do you any good on a non-Roamio DVR because only the Roamio has the wirelesss connection built into it. The IR mode should work OK, though (but it is slower).

What you probably want is a Slide remote (perhaps the new one coming out), which works on the Premiere and has a dongle (and a keyboard, and IR learning, and more).

Last edited by crxssi : 08-25-2013 at 08:12 AM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #26
JWhites

I'll look into it when it comes out. I know what you mean about the IR being slower since when I was using the original slide remote with Bluetooth it was quite fast and responsive on the Premiere even while using the HDUI (this was back before all the software improvements in 2012) it felt like night and day.

I wasn't a big fan of it's shorter length compared to the regular sized remote and ended up going back to the Glo remote. It has been said that the Roamio remote is almost as short as the slide remote was. Here's a comparison between the slide and the standard sized remote
Highslide JS
and here's a comparison of the Roamio remote and the standard sized remote
Highslide JS

Last edited by JWhites : 08-26-2013 at 04:33 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #27
JWhites

Here is an unknown I'm wondering about the Roamio. Is the program description truncated from 5 lines down to 3 like users of the Premiere have been seeing with the 20.3.1 software update?
Old 08-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #28
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Here is an unknown I'm wondering about the Roamio. Is the program description truncated from 5 lines down to 3 like users of the Premiere have been seeing with the 20.3.1 software update?
I'd have to look side-by-side to be sure, but the thinner font might be squeezing a little more text into the given lines. I am trying (and failing) to find a really long description, but I am looking at a 4-line description on one channel right now.

BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #29
JWhites

How is the performance with transferring shows from a Roamio to a Premiere or from a Premiere to a Roamio? Are the times as fast as a Premiere to Premiere? What about multi room streaming shows from a Roamio to a Premiere or from a Premiere to a Roamio? Any stuttering or performance issues? How does the Premiere and Roamio identify each other in the My Shows list? Does the Premiere identify the Roamio as a "TiVo Roamio" and display a Roamio icon like as shown here with a Premiere to Premiere?
Highslide JS

Last edited by JWhites : 08-25-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #30
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
I'd have to look side-by-side to be sure, but the thinner font might be squeezing a little more text into the given lines. I am trying (and failing) to find a really long description, but I am looking at a 4-line description on one channel right now.
I found a show on Lifetime called Devious Maids and one called PGA Tour Golf that are both experiencing the truncation.

Last edited by JWhites : 08-25-2013 at 07:42 PM.