TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
brianm729

What is my Series 3 HD worth?

I decided to upgrade to the Roamio and get rid of my S3 HD THX. Can anyone tell me what it is worth? I replaced the hard drive, I think to 500gb. Recording time says 70 hours, does that sound right? Thanks.
brianm729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianm729 View Post
I decided to upgrade to the Roamio and get rid of my S3 HD THX. Can anyone tell me what it is worth? I replaced the hard drive, I think to 500gb. Recording time says 70 hours, does that sound right? Thanks.
Do you mean the TCD648250(B) or the TCD65800?

Either way, without a lifetime sub, not much.

However, buying a new TiVo should get you the leverage to get $99 PLS on that S3, and you can use it in a different room, and copy over some shows, or perhaps sell it for more than the total of (what you would have gotten otherwise + $99).

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
brianm729

I have the TCD648250. I don't really have a need to put it in a different room. But can you explain what you mean about the lifetime subscription. I thought it would be $400. Thanks
Old 08-21-2013, 02:02 AM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianm729 View Post
But can you explain what you mean about the lifetime subscription. I thought it would be $400. Thanks
It is basically an upgrade incentive.

You buy both, the new Roamio and a subscription for it from TiVo.
As a "thank you", Tivo may* offer you to get lifetime on your old hardware for an additional $99.

* you might have to ask for it / play CSR roulette.

Of course this deal only works if you don't already have lifetime on the old hardware.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #5
brianm729

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
unitron

Actually, it didn't start life as an upgrade incentive.

First there were people who had bought a 3 year contract on some flavor of S3s at a time when PLS (Product Lifetime Service) wasn't being offered, and their 3 years was ending and they were calling to not renew service--They got offered the deal because that was $99 more than TiVo was going to get otherwise.

Then it turned into people buying S4s and wanting to cancel the subs on their S3s, and again TiVo decided another $99 was better than $0.

Some people buying S4s even managed to play CSR well enough to get the deal on S2s they already had.

When word got out it probably resulted in some people buying an S4 sooner than they might have otherwise in order to lifetime their S3s, so it turned into an upgrade incentive, and there were some offers later for particular S3 owners to get them to spend more money.

But apparently you need to have owned and had under subscription the S3 or S2 for several years in order to get them to give you the $99 deal when buying an S4, except perhaps for a few people who got lucky on CSR.

Anyone looking to get a break on lifetime for an older unit should talk to TiVo, Inc. first, before spending any money or agreeing to an X months subscription commitment on a new TiVo, to get the details nailed down and get a firm commitment from them.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote