TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #961
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
If you fill up drives with recordings and you for some reason drop cable, are you still able to view the recordings without a Cable Card?
A CableCard's only functions are to provide a channel map and decrypt a broadcast video stream for viewing or recording. Once the video has been recorded on your Tivo, a CableCard is not needed for playback.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #962
tivogurl

Weaknees has started selling Roamios this morning, but has no drive upgrade options listed yet.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #963
Aero 1

4-Tuner Roamio Start Here Poster:

http://support.tivo.com/ci/fattach/g...741/redirect/1

Roamio Plus/Pro Start Here Poster:

http://support.tivo.com/ci/fattach/g...511/redirect/1

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #964
tivogurl

Is anybody getting a Pro rather than a Plus? What motivated you to do so? I like the extra storage, but I greatly dislike $/GB of the upgrade.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #965
innocentfreak

Unless someone figures out drive upgrades before I buy, it will most likely be the Pro. I can't see going to 1TB for 6 tuners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #966
b_scott
TiVo Fan

450 hours? I hate when I have over 10 shows to watch on my Tivo. The Plus would be just fine for me and then some.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #967
trip1eX

I would do the PLus plus external or future internal hd upgrade. 1 TB a bit low for family and I. But not paying $200 for 2 extra TBs either.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #968
Dan203
Super Moderator

I can't decide if I need 3TB or not. my current Elite is about 50% full and has a 2TB drive, so it would seem that 1TB is right about my limit. But I've had times when it's been up in the 60s so I really could use more space. But $200 extra for the upgrade is a bit steep.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #969
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I've never been higher than 32% usage on my XL4. Generally I always try to watch enough to get below 30% if it's ever above that level, and honestly I could drop episodes from at least 2 series I probably won't end up watching at all, but I haven't really made that decision yet, so that "30%" is artificially higher than it really needs to be. I chose the Pro. It's nice not getting even close to the limit, no matter what.

It's always a pain to upgrade later, especially if there's any number of accumulated recordings left to watch, and after having tried the WD extenders on my Series 3's originally, I'll never go with external drive solutions on TiVo receivers again.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #970
Dan203
Super Moderator

At one point I was at like 92% on mine, but I had shows were I had 2+ seasons I had never watched. I finally deleted a bunch of those and got down to about 60%. I like to watch things in blocks, so I tend to build up shows like this. I also like to record movies on a whim even if I never end up watching them. If I only had 1TB I'd have to be much more careful about doing that. With 3TB I could do it even more and never worry about it again.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #971
lpwcomp

If I replaced my 3 2-tuner TiVos(1 THD w/1TB drive, 2 Premieres w/stock 320GB drives) 1TB would not be enough while 3TB would probably be OK. 2TB might even be sufficient. I would love to use my PC as extra storage but for a number of reasons, the prime one being the CC problem, that is not a viable option.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #972
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
If I replaced my 3 2-tuner TiVos(1 THD w/1TB drive, 2 Premieres w/stock 320GB drives) 1TB would not be enough while 3TB would probably be OK. 2TB might even be sufficient. I would love to use my PC as extra storage but for a number of reasons, the prime one being the CC problem, that is not a viable option.
You can offload shows to your PC with PyTiVo for archiving. I do that with a lot of Sporting Events that I may want to see again some day, but don't want them taking up space on my TiVo.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #973
Dan203
Super Moderator

But if your cable company protects all it's channels via CCI bit then that's not an option. Almost all Time Warner and a few Cox and Comcast areas do that. The only things they leave unprotected are the broadcast channels because they are not allowed to protect those by law.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #974
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
But if your cable company protects all it's channels via CCI bit then that's not an option. Almost all Time Warner and a few Cox and Comcast areas do that. The only things they leave unprotected are the broadcast channels because they are not allowed to protect those by law.
Ah. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Comcast blocks some transfers in my area, but not most. Usually only PPV's or Pay Channels like HBO.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #975
Dan203
Super Moderator

We use to be wide open here. I could transfer anything, even premium channels. Then about a year ago they switched to blocking just the Premium channels. Hopefully they don't take a queue from TW and start blocking them all or TTG will become completely useless to me.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #976
lpwcomp

Quote:
I thought the rule was that they are required to offer self installs of CableCARDs if they offer self installs of any other equipment. If they don't offer any self installs then I think they are still allowed to require a truck roll. Also I think there are still a few small cable companies with exemptions. TiVo is likely just covering their bases.
Quote:
The CC problem I was referring to is "Closed Captions", not "Copy Control".

Old 08-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #977
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
We use to be wide open here. I could transfer anything, even premium channels. Then about a year ago they switched to blocking just the Premium channels. Hopefully they don't take a queue from TW and start blocking them all or TTG will become completely useless to me.
I don't understand why TW is blocking everything anyway. I just figured they didn't know how to implement it correctly and took the easier route of just blocking everything. Have they ever said why? That would make MRV pretty much useless too.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #978
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
The CC problem I was referring to is "Closed Captions", not "Copy Control".
What happens with the closed captions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
I don't understand why TW is blocking everything anyway. I just figured they didn't know how to implement it correctly and took the easier route of just blocking everything. Have they ever said why? That would make MRV pretty much useless too.
They wont admit it but I think they do it on purpose to hinder TiVos and CableCARD usage in general. It's no secret they don't like CableCARDs and do the bare minimum required to support them. By blocking all the channels like this they render one of the benefits of TiVo useless and lessen it's appeal.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #979
lpwcomp

Quote:
What happens with the closed captions?
When a recording is downloaded to a Premiere, even if it is a .tivo file originally recorded on that TiVo, the closed captions do not display.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #980
morac
Cat God

Quote:
When a recording is downloaded to a Premiere, even if it is a .tivo file originally recorded on that TiVo, the closed captions do not display.
If I recall correctly, that's only the case for PS files. TS files (i.e. fast transfer) do keep the close captions.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #981
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
If I recall correctly, that's only the case for PS files. TS files (i.e. fast transfer) do keep the close captions.
Not an option for me. Still running Win2K. Hope to change that later this year.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #982
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not an option for me. Still running Win2K. Hope to change that later this year.
Gonna jump up to XP?

In all seriousness... why? Are you still using the 14 year old PC it came on? I don't even understand why some people insist on keeping XP. Still running Win2K seems outright ridiculous. Almost nothing supports Win2K any more.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #983
lpwcomp

Quote:
Gonna jump up to XP?

In all seriousness... why? Are you still using the 14 year old PC it came on? I don't even understand why some people insist on keeping XP. Still running Win2K seems outright ridiculous. Almost nothing supports Win2K any more.
It costs money to upgrade. At this point, it doesn't make sense to lay out the money to upograde the O/S on this old h/w. Probably will just buy a whole new system. But anything has to wait until at least October. I got my last pension payment Aug. 1 and don't get first SS payment until October 23.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:42 AM   #984
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't know what your financial situation is. I assumed people who own TiVos, and are considering buying a new one, have enough money for basic luxuries, but maybe that was a poor assumption. However you should really consider upgrading your PC before upgrading your TiVo. Even a cheap, $300, PC will run circles around something you bought 14 years ago. Not to mention Win2K is a HUGE security risk. It hasn't been updated in like 3 years now. There are bound to be a million exploits out there by now.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #985
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Unless someone figures out drive upgrades before I buy, it will most likely be the Pro. I can't see going to 1TB for 6 tuners.
Same here (except I'm not rushing to buy any at all). It's not like they've pitched some deal for those of us that have been customers for nearly as long as they've been around, that compels us to upgrade or miss-out.

Even if I hear about somebody upgrading them successfully, remember the fiasco by one of the big web-store upgrade sites selling a 4TB (2x2TB) Premiere upgrade that they had to recall? I'll give any upgrade option some time to be tested before I take a leap of faith.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #986
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
I don't know what your financial situation is. I assumed people who own TiVos, and are considering buying a new one, have enough money for basic luxuries, but maybe that was a poor assumption. However you should really consider upgrading your PC before upgrading your TiVo. Even a cheap, $300, PC will run circles around something you bought 14 years ago. Not to mention Win2K is a HUGE security risk. It hasn't been updated in like 3 years now. There are bound to be a million exploits out there by now.
Same here. If you can't afford an OS update in 14 years then seems odd you even be considering expensive TiVo stuff. But then, it's not really my business.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #987
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
You're assuming that his 14-year-old computer is connected to the internet.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #988
lpwcomp

Quote:
Don't attempt to "teach your Grandma to suck eggs". As I said, buying a whole new system is exactly what I plan to do.

The CPU and O/S are hand-me-downs but are not 14-years old. The mobo and memory are about 2 y/o. And drives have been added/replaced.

I might have been able to upgrade the O/S earlier this year using an OEM version that a friend had lying around but I had just found out that I would have this nearly 3-month gap in payments. You "qualify" for SS the month after the relevant b/d (I turn 62 tomorrow). You don't actually get a payment until the month after that and in my case, payments will be on the 4th Wednesday. So I've been having to try and save enough money to get me through the transition. I have been living on a 7-year (for max cash flow), early retirement(@55) pension I earned for 12-years of work as an O/S (NOS,NOS/BE, and NOS/VE) analyst at Martin-Marietta Data Systems (1979-1991).

I'm not actually sure if I will getting a new TiVo or not, but if I did, it could save me money in the long run by reducing the number of those stupid ADO fees I have to pay Comcast.

As far as using TS vs. PS for transfers, there are other reasons I don't want to do that. The fact that I do get captions if I transfer it to and watch it on my THD indicates (to me at least) that TiVo has a problem which they damn well should fix.

Finally, as a couple of you said, it is none of your business how I choose to spend my limited disposable income. I only posted those details to explain why things are as they are, not to seek advise and the criticism, explicit and implicit, is both unwelcome and unwarranted.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #989
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
You're assuming that his 14-year-old computer is connected to the internet.
How droll.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #990
Aero 1

this reminds me of the guy on this board, i cant remember his name, that in one thread he was complaining how poor he is and he cant afford doctors or what not, but then in numerous other threads, he buys cell phones, juicers, beds and what not. i remember his avi, guy with a beard who i think lives in the woods.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote