TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
jbaum

Plus or Pro?

I think the only difference is the storage 150 hours vs. 450 hours. Is it worth $200?
jbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
Philmatic

It's worth $200 if triple the storage for $200 is worth it to you.

From a pure price perspective, they are making a huge profit on the Pro over the Plus. A 3TB drive does not cost $200 after you factor in the 1TB base. It is maybe $50 of retail cost (MAYBE) and they are charging $150 on top of it in pure profit.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
A 3TB drive does not cost $200 after you factor in the 1TB base. It is maybe $50 of retail cost (MAYBE) and they are charging $150 on top of it in pure profit.
A good retail price for a 3TB bare drive is ~100, and TiVo isn't paying retail.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm debating this myself. I don't know if I could live with 1TB or not. And I'm not sure if $200 is really worth the hassle if I decide I can't 3 months from now.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
brianm729

It seems to me it would make more sense to add another drive later if needed. $200 seems way too high
brianm729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
And I'm not sure if $200 is really worth the hassle if I decide I can't 3 months from now.
Upgrading an in-service unit is indeed much more of a hassle. Probably what TiVo is counting on given its pricing scheme.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
Upgrading an in-service unit is indeed much more of a hassle. Probably what TiVo is counting on given its pricing scheme.
Exactly. Adding a eSATA is relatively easy, but it adds another point of failure and another power brick to the UPS. Upgrading the internal drive is like buying a whole new TiVo and starting over.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
In the end, it's a $100 difference between what you'd pay now versus what you might possibly be able to pay as a third-party drive replacement. Is your time opening up the unit, as well as dealing with another vendor, worth saving $100. What about when something needs servicing and you have to either put the original drive back in or take the replacement out to have it replaced separately from everything else? What if there is some issue down the road and you can't quite tell whose problem it is to know where to contact for repair? Too much hassle to save $100... especially when, simply from past experience we're talking about a cost I can easily amortize over at least 2 years, so we're now looking at justify trying to save $4/month, and frankly, that's just not worth the potential hassle, or even the delay in being able to get it.

Everyone will have their own threshold, of course. Just explaining why I'm not overly bothered by what appears to be a bigger than expected price disparity for what's likely the only difference in those models.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianm729 View Post
It seems to me it would make more sense to add another drive later if needed. $200 seems way too high
The only external drive that's tivo-approved is an overpriced one. I assume that the software will reject any other kind of drive you care to attach. That's why external drives aren't such a hot deal. I hope that CableLabs is responsible for this bit of stupidity, because there's no purpose to the restriction otherwise.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
In the end, it's a $100 difference between what you'd pay now versus what you might possibly be able to pay as a third-party drive replacement. Is your time opening up the unit, as well as dealing with another vendor, worth saving $100. What about when something needs servicing and you have to either put the original drive back in or take the replacement out to have it replaced separately from everything else? What if there is some issue down the road and you can't quite tell whose problem it is to know where to contact for repair? Too much hassle to save $100... especially when, simply from past experience we're talking about a cost I can easily amortize over at least 2 years, so we're now looking at justify trying to save $4/month, and frankly, that's just not worth the potential hassle, or even the delay in being able to get it.

Everyone will have their own threshold, of course. Just explaining why I'm not overly bothered by what appears to be a bigger than expected price disparity for what's likely the only difference in those models.
I pretty much agree, and if I buy one I'll likely get the Pro. Now my debate is do I need one right now, or should I hold out and see if prices drop.

Quote:
The only external drive that's tivo-approved is an overpriced one. I assume that the software will reject any other kind of drive you care to attach. That's why external drives aren't such a hot deal. I hope that CableLabs is responsible for this bit of stupidity, because there's no purpose to the restriction otherwise.
With the S3 units they allowed any external drive. They restricted it with the Premiere units. I'd think if it was a CableLabs issue they would have restricted it on the S3 too. I think this was an attempt at quality control. They could qualify the drives and ensure they wold work properly without causing issues. However the partner they chose turned out to over priced and under sized. Hopefully they'll at least consider qualifying more drives by other manufacturers going forward.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
MeInDallas

I've always wondered myself if it wasnt some sort of deal that Tivo made with Western Digital. Supply them with drives at a good discount, and they would only allow their DVR expander to be used. I know at one point some people were getting 500GB Seagate drives in the Premiere 4's, but when I got one it had a Western Digital in it which I was happy about. The has to be some sort of connection to it all. I dont know much about the Tivo software though, so maybe it has something to do with that.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #12
monkeydust

I bought a Plus because I usually keep my Elite at 40% capacity and really don't watch the same shows over and over (although my 2 year old daughter does and her disney movies take up half my used space). So, once I get my Roamio, I'll have 1TB on it and 1TB on my Elite and I believe you can stream between them if we want to watch a disney movie in the other room.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
tivogurl

Quote:
However the partner they chose turned out to over priced and under sized. Hopefully they'll at least consider qualifying more drives by other manufacturers going forward.
Thinking on it more, having only one approved external drive, which as you say is overpriced/undercapacity, protects Pro revenue. I'm not sure they have much incentive to do as you say.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
alyssa

Plus or Pro?

*****cough*****pro****cough****

I *do not* understand how folks can live in small tivos.....it really baffles me

Plus externals go bad

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
swerver

Here's another angle - having a 2TB drive in my premiere for over a year now, I can tell you that list can get mighty long. You can filter by name so you can always find stuff, but it can still get a bit messy. How will this look with 50% more shows, or even double if people figure out how to get a 4TB drive in there? Since I'm already using kmttg to offload stuff to my media server, I'm thinking I'll just go with the plus, save the $200 and I won't miss the space anyway.

What would be really nice, would be if they added an interface to organize shows into folders manually, or tag them so that they could be grouped more intelligently than just by date or by name. If they had that, then I would definitely be interested in getting an even larger drive in there. As it stands, not so sure. And even if they had this advanced grouping, then I would lean more toward putting a 4TB drive in myself, so the pro is still not that enticing.
swerver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

One of the reviews mentioned something about a 3 column My Shows List with better sorting. Not exactly sure what they're talking about, but it sounds like there may be some improvements coming to My Shows to deal with longer lists.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #17
Jed1

Quote:
No. Cable Labs is not responsible as it is the content owners who put up all these restrictions. We are lucky they even allow us to record anything, even once.
You have to take this out on Disney Corp, Fox News Corp, Sony Corp, Time Warner, Comcast, and CBS Corp to name the big players.
Disney, Fox News, and Sony are the worst for restrictions on what the consumer can do with content. Especially Sony as they are one of the founding partners for HDMI. Also these corporations are the big reason your cable/sat bill is so high.

Here is a list of all the channels and who really owns them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...igh_Definition
Jed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #18
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
I bought a Plus because I usually keep my Elite at 40% capacity and really don't watch the same shows over and over (although my 2 year old daughter does and her disney movies take up half my used space). So, once I get my Roamio, I'll have 1TB on it and 1TB on my Elite and I believe you can stream between them if we want to watch a disney movie in the other room.
Furthermore, if they actually have Netflix and Amazon apps working well, then it should be easy to find/play your movies from those instead of the hard drive (which often have commercials on them from the station I recorded them from).
Old 08-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #19
series5orpremier

I know I seem to always be harping on this as my keynote issue, but to have additional memory internally is 10X more valuable than having an external drive connected by eSata. Trust me, you don't want to rely on the external drive keeping up with the life cycle of the box. When the external drive fails you'll be sitting there empty-handed wondering where your money went.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #20
jfh3

Pro.

A few months from now, if the Comer tool gets updated, maybe the Plus. But for now the convenience of the extra capacity is worth the difference. The Pro should be about $100 less, but think of it as the early adopter tax.

And don't even consider adding an external drive.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #21
Beryl

I added a 2TB drive to my Premiere and over a year later I am under 30% and never had a problem with it. I decided to get the regular Roamio to replace my HDLX. I'll eventually get another external drive on sale. Everyone has different needs I guess.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #22
Bigg

Apple does the same thing. They make WAY more on the 64GB iPhone than the 16GB iPhone (the 16GB has a nice margin, but the 64GB's margin is FAT).

If/when I get one of these things, I'll get the bigger one. With 6 tuners, you can eat space up quick, and it would be even worse if I move to Rhode Island or Mass where FIOS is the provider...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #23
mntvjunkie

I'm having a tough time with this question myself, but leaning towards a plus. Like others here, I have a Tivo HD (not premiere, hence the upgrade) that has 1TB in it now. Looking at kmttg, I am only using 50% for recordings and 50% for suggestions. And 20% of that 50% that is "mine" could easily be deleted (old seasons of shows I won't watch again until they are on Netflix or DVD without commercials).

Plus, I think of it another way. If I watch an average of 40 hours of TV per week, 150 hours would take me almost 4 weeks to get through, assuming no new content aired. And that assumes that all 40 hours is TV that has been recorded from cable, not factoring in Netflix, or Xfinity On Demand.

Like I said, still weighing the pros and cons of both, but leaning heavily towards the Plus. The only reason I'd consider a Pro is because 6 tuners can fill up a drive fast, I don't watch ANY live TV, and having old sitcoms and movies on the drive can be a great way to fall asleep in a whole home solution. I MIGHT wait until someone verifies that it can be upgraded later, but looking at prices of 3TB drives online, that is likely to save me less than $100, something I could save by just ordering online.
mntvjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #24
mntvjunkie

One other thing to consider is that it's a $200 price difference to help you get more out of your $100 cable package.....
mntvjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #25
mattack

Quote:
Exactly. Adding a eSATA is relatively easy, but it adds another point of failure and another power brick to the UPS. Upgrading the internal drive is like buying a whole new TiVo and starting over.
What the heck does that mean?

We don't know if we can even upgrade the drives in the Roamio yet (right?).. But on *EXISTING* Tivos, while completely unsupported and theoretically voids your warranty, it absolutely IS NOT "like buying a whole new TiVo and starting over", since you can transfer all of your shows/season passes to the new drive.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #26
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
What the heck does that mean?

We don't know if we can even upgrade the drives in the Roamio yet (right?).. But on *EXISTING* Tivos, while completely unsupported and theoretically voids your warranty, it absolutely IS NOT "like buying a whole new TiVo and starting over", since you can transfer all of your shows/season passes to the new drive.
I was thinking more of buying a bigger drive from someone like Weaknees. I wasn't really thinking about doing it myself and copying everything over. I guess that's not as bad, but significantly more effort.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #27
monkeydust

As I said, I have a Plus coming but now I'm kinda having second thoughts. I was planning on having a Plus, Elite and Mini running. But, now I'm wondering if I should have planned on getting another Mini and have a Pro and two Mini's because of the crappy app support of the Elite. While the Plus and Mini will primarily be for my use and that is plenty for me, it would probably be better for the wife and kid to have apps on the Tivo that work well instead of having to switch to the PS3 as they do today.

I guess on the positive side with going with my original plan, I don't have to have their horrible programming (Kardashians and other mindless junk) mixed in with mine due to the lack of custom folders or profiles.

EDIT: Two other points I thought of (a pro and con to switching to just minis/roamio). CON: There are not any good streaming options from PC to Mini right now and I use that a lot (use Stream Baby Stream which does not work at all - Flingo has very limited support). PRO: Replacing the Elite with a Mini would be one less CC to rent and one less TA to have problems with.

Last edited by monkeydust : 08-21-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #28
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa View Post
*****cough*****pro****cough****

I *do not* understand how folks can live in small tivos.....it really baffles me

Plus externals go bad
1TB is plenty of space, and a lot of people watch what they record instead of hoarding entire seasons of shows without watching. Not to mention that you can easily offload to a PC anyway. Finally, I'm sure we'll have a drive copy/expansion option for the S5s relatively soon just like we had for the S3s/S4s so it won't be a big deal to do an internal upgrade anyway.

My Elite rarely goes above 20% space used and that's with around 60 SPs, so the Plus will be perfect for an upgrade when I can get a good deal on it. Once it hits $300-325 I'll probably bite, my Elite is only a little over a year old anyway.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #29
JohnnyO
Crimper

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
I was planning on having a Plus, Elite and Mini running. But, now I'm wondering if I should have planned on getting another Mini and have a Pro and two Mini's because of the crappy app support of the Elite.
One other item to consider is that if you end up with a single TiVo, with multiple Minis, you lose some redundancy. If your TiVo stops working, you will be unable to watch TV on all of your TiVo or Mini connected devices. This is the reason I'm going to be a Roamio/TiVoHD household, and not a Roamio/Mini household (at least for a while).

John
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #30
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
One other item to consider is that if you end up with a single TiVo, with multiple Minis, you lose some redundancy. If your TiVo stops working, you will be unable to watch TV on all of your TiVo or Mini connected devices. This is the reason I'm going to be a Roamio/TiVoHD household, and not a Roamio/Mini household (at least for a while).

John
I've had Tivos since the series 1 and I've never had a problem with any of them (tuning adapters on the otherhand....)