TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
Riverdome

Wish we had profiles

Especially with 6 tuners and 450 hours of HD content I really wish Tivo had included user profiles. Love my wife and kids but we don't need to see each other's recordings. I use the Suggestions feature but it's nearly unusable with the gobs of "stuff" for the kids that appears. I'll end up buying a Roamio but this feature is still on my personal Tivo Wish List.
Riverdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
innocentfreak

TiVo mentioned to Ben from Engadget in their review that there is a 3 column My Shows coming. No idea if it will support profiles or not though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
bayern_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdome View Post
Especially with 6 tuners and 450 hours of HD content I really wish Tivo had included user profiles. Love my wife and kids but we don't need to see each other's recordings. I use the Suggestions feature but it's nearly unusable with the gobs of "stuff" for the kids that appears. I'll end up buying a Roamio but this feature is still on my personal Tivo Wish List.
With the HTML5-based Netflix app on the Roamio, the speed of update rollouts should be much faster. Netflix user profiles are still not available to everyone, but the infamous "coming soon" likely applies here.
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

He's not talking about Netflix profiles, he's talking about profiles on the TiVo itself. Like where multiple people could use a single TiVo and each get a personalized My Shows. TiVo showed a screen shot a long time ago where the main screen had My Shows highlighted and off to the right there were selections for Dad, Mom, etc... We've been waiting for that functionality ever since.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
BigJimOutlaw

Profiles would be nice, as long as they're implemented in a good way.

The old "demo" photo of Profiles sort of suggested we would have to select the correct profile every time we went into My Shows from the main screen. Hopefully that extra step isn't necessary. (Or maybe it wasn't intended that way, but it's kind of how it looked without any context.)

I'd like profiles to be "sticky" enough that the box stays in a profile until actively switched to another one... sort of like how we switch between boxes for MRV/MRS.

For example, my profiles would be device-based (i.e. Little Johnny's bedroom Mini) so ideally that particular profile could remain the default for that box. That would make the whole-home integration really complete and "keep their recordings there, and my recordings here".

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 08-20-2013 at 04:19 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
Philmatic

I'd like them to use the 4 useless cable mandated color buttons on the remote to manage profiles. It can be done cleanly as well, in the default mode just show all shows with the color of the profile it applies to. Pressing a colored button just applies that profile filter.

Same can be done for Season Passes, To-Do Lists, WishLists, etc.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think filtering the My Shows would work better then the menu they showed in that mockup, and it would be sticky like the current filter options. They also need some sort of priority system so Jonny can't schedule recordings that supersede Dad's. Would also be nice for there to be individual To Do and SP Managers as well, but putting a color icon next to each show indicating who it belonged to might be good enough.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
brianm729

Sounds like a great idea especially now with 6 tuners and TiVo mini. They are trying to make it usefull for the whole family and multiple rooms. Only makes sense to have profiles.
brianm729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
s10023

i agree that with 6 tuners and 450 hours, profiles would be a really great feature.
s10023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post
With the HTML5-based Netflix app on the Roamio, the speed of update rollouts should be much faster. Netflix user profiles are still not available to everyone, but the infamous "coming soon" likely applies here.
Getting Netflix profiles would be a good start. Accomplishing this might lend credibility towards accomplishing the other
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #11
ltxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10023 View Post
i agree that with 6 tuners and 450 hours, profiles would be a really great feature.
Yeah, but it could cost TiVo sales and subscriptions. My Roamio, her Roamio, back up/workout room Premiere could then easily be combined into one or two boxes with mini thin client support. My 3TB drive hangs out around 30%. Her's is only 6% or 7% but she's multi show SD prolific and changes a lot so her My Shows is a mess.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:11 AM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
Yeah, but it could cost TiVo sales and subscriptions. My Roamio, her Roamio, back up/workout room Premiere could then easily be combined into one or two boxes with mini thin client support. My 3TB drive hangs out around 30%. Her's is only 6% or 7% but she's multi show SD prolific and changes a lot so her My Shows is a mess.
That's why they charge a service fee for the Mini. They're getting their money either way.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustavio View Post
Getting Netflix profiles would be a good start. Accomplishing this might lend credibility towards accomplishing the other
Well they work extremely well on other clients like the PS3. Easy to use, swap, etc. All they need do is enable the functionality as it exists elsewhere and it'll be great.

I agree Profiles on the TiVo itself would be wonderful. In fact I'm half hoping that the reason they haven't re-enabled profiles in Netflix is because they're working on Profiles for tivo, with the intent of folding in the netflix profiles. That would be fantastic.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Well they work extremely well on other clients like the PS3. Easy to use, swap, etc. All they need do is enable the functionality as it exists elsewhere and it'll be great.

I agree Profiles on the TiVo itself would be wonderful. In fact I'm half hoping that the reason they haven't re-enabled profiles in Netflix is because they're working on Profiles for tivo, with the intent of folding in the netflix profiles. That would be fantastic.
Methinks the main reason Netflix profiles is AWOL on TiVo is the lingering, pesky Netflix reboot issue. Once they figure that out, they'll slip profiles back in and we can cross our fingers that doing so won't trigger anew the reboot problem that probably got them yanked in the first place.
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote