TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
jmr50

Upgrade?

So, the big question out there for me - is there going to be any kind of upgrade path from Premier-generation gear to Roamio, like they did when Premier was launched?

Margret Schmidt (TiVoMargret or @tivodesign) is looking into it:
https://twitter.com/tivodesign/statu...42099606138880
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2013-08-20 at 11.58.00 AM.jpg (34.8 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by jmr50 : 08-20-2013 at 12:04 PM.
jmr50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
stevo123

I sent her an email too. My lifetime Premiere XL4 is less than a year old. I chatted with the customer service reps online. They said there would be no lifetime transfer, etc.
So far, all you get is the $100 discount for already owning a tivo.

Personally, I'd prefer a free lifetime transfer if I could deactivate the XL4.
stevo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
ampm99
Tivo Zealot

My Series 3 just died and I was told I could not transfer my lifetime service to Roamio.
3 months ago when my other series 3 died, they let me transfer (for $199) to a tivo premier. They basically told me even though I have 15 years with Tivo, once I buy lifetime support I am worthless to TIVO. They only care about current revenue.
ampm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
jjd_87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr50 View Post
So, the big question out there for me - is there going to be any kind of upgrade path from Premier-generation gear to Roamio, like they did when Premier was launched?

Margret Schmidt (TiVoMargret or @tivodesign) is looking into it:
https://twitter.com/tivodesign/statu...42099606138880
Keep us updated on this. I bought my Premier 4 last fall so I'd love to make the jump but I cant justify the price of the Roamio plus another lifetime service.
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
brentil

The last and only time we got a lifetime transfer was Valentines 2001 when we were able to move our S1 to a S2 device. We've been with TiVo since 1998 so 15 years now and I've tried calling in and been denied every time. I understand why, it's where they make their money. However it would be nice if there was another upgrade level where instead of just the $100 off for MSD if I deactivated an older lifetime I could maybe get $200 off a new lifetime pretty much saying I'm never using that old device again unless I get a monthly for it.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Would be nice if they would throw premiere owners a bone for putting up with this terrible platform. I've owned two premieres since first day of launch. Both with lifetime service.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
brentil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
Would be nice if they would throw premiere owners a bone for putting up with this terrible platform. I've owned two premieres since first day of launch. Both with lifetime service.
I've had 1 Premiere since near launch and I can attest it's been a nasty roller coaster ride... We added a 2nd TiVo Premiere about a year ago and it was an amazing difference in first setup and use experience between those launch units and now. I still don't think I can say I'm happy with the TiVo Premiere though, it's never lived up to what it was supposed to be.

brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
waterchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo123 View Post
I sent her an email too. My lifetime Premiere XL4 is less than a year old. I chatted with the customer service reps online. They said there would be no lifetime transfer, etc.

I know this is more of a hassle but you should easily be able to cover the cost of lifetime on a new Roamio box by selling your XL4 on eBay/Craigslist. Post your unit on Craigslist for $400 and see how many bites you get.
waterchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Peter Miller
6th member of SG-1

I'm @Petebuster from that twitter thread but still waiting to hear back from Margret. Will let you know once I hear back.
Peter Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd_87 View Post
Keep us updated on this. I bought my Premier 4 last fall so I'd love to make the jump but I cant justify the price of the Roamio plus another lifetime service.
+1
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
The last and only time we got a lifetime transfer was Valentines 2001 when we were able to move our S1 to a S2 device. We've been with TiVo since 1998 so 15 years now and I've tried calling in and been denied every time. I understand why, it's where they make their money. However it would be nice if there was another upgrade level where instead of just the $100 off for MSD if I deactivated an older lifetime I could maybe get $200 off a new lifetime pretty much saying I'm never using that old device again unless I get a monthly for it.
We did get an extra hundred off lifetime when the Premiere launched. If you bought from TiVo MSD was $199, this was before the change to $399/$499. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=444088

I just hope whatever it is you can buy locally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampm99 View Post
They basically told me even though I have 15 years with Tivo, once I buy lifetime support I am worthless to TIVO. They only care about current revenue.
Is this were really the case, then I think Tivo would stop selling lifetime plans.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
SOCATivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
Is this were really the case, then I think Tivo would stop selling lifetime plans.
No, because some people will never buy anything with a subscription.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
trade
Tivo Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo123 View Post

SteveCo

Tivo answered your email about the transfer of the lifetime or any discount, I sent the same email but not any answer in days, maybe they are elaborating how many people is mad about this second refresh of the line with a 6 decoders and Tivo mini don't use all the time one of them.

Qnap TS-469L NAS 8TB WD Red
Sony StreamPlayer NP-2000
Apple TV 3
trade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #15
jjd_87

I'm guessing no one got a response to their email.
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #16
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
They *did* stop selling lifetime for a while.. (and some people were hoarding the lifetime subscription gift cards you could get at Best Buy)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:30 AM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
They *did* stop selling lifetime for a while.. (and some people were hoarding the lifetime subscription gift cards you could get at Best Buy)
They had stopped selling Lifetime when I got my three S3(OLED) boxes in 2006. I signed up for service for three years to have the lowest monthly price. At some point when I got several TiVoHD boxes in 2007/2008 lifetime service was back.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote