TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
tomhorsley

Power button?

I see the Roamio has broken with tradition and actually has a power button.

Anyone know what it actually does?

Does it put it in standby?

Does it just tell it that no one is watching so it will know it is OK to switch tuners?

Actually turn it completely off? (Probably not that since it still takes forever to boot).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
brentil

Relating to boot times when the TiVo4 2nd CPU was enabled we saw a 50% reduction in boot time. The new TiVo5 uses a CPU that's at a minimum 3x more powerful as well as using faster internal drives. We should see a significant reduction in boot time with TiVo5 hardware.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Estimates for the boot time?
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212

Last edited by NotNowChief : 08-20-2013 at 01:24 PM.
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
P42

What does the second post have to do with the OP's question?
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
brentil

It relates directly to his post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Actually turn it completely off? (Probably not that since it still takes forever to boot).

Old 08-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
P42

Slow down and think about it, why would Tivo want to turning the box off? Six-pack of beer says it put the box in standby, and nothing more.
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
trip1eX

Yeah it sleeps it is my guess. It really should go to sleep on its own though especially during low tv watching times like 2am-5pm M-F where you aren't likely to be around for the last 1/2hr of whatever it caches.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
atsang

a power button is still better than yanking the power cord for those rare times you want to power down.
atsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsang View Post
a power button is still better than yanking the power cord for those rare times you want to power down.
Not rare for me - I've got my Premiere hooked to a z-wave appliance switch so I can power cycle it from my phone (and also every morning around 2 am from a cron job :-).
Old 08-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
tomhorsley

I thought I might be able to discover the answers to questions like these by downloading the manual pdf file, but so far haven't found a pdf file anywhere on tivo.com :-(.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
brentil

A dual purpose button would be nice. Tap for standby & hold for power cycle. I hate crawling around back to yank it.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
A dual purpose button would be nice. Tap for standby & hold for power cycle. I hate crawling around back to yank it.
That's what she said. (Sorry. lol) We can do this now by holding down the Input button on the Premiere (in case you weren't aware).
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #13
brentil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
That's what she said. (Sorry. lol) We can do this now by holding down the Input button on the Premiere (in case you weren't aware).
I did not, thank you!

Old 08-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #14
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Quote:
Wasn't aware of that myself. Which input button do you mean? The one on the remote?
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
BiloxiGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #15
bayern_fan

Quote:
The remote's input button can put the unit into standby mode? That's news to me!
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #16
BigJimOutlaw

Sorry, I mean the Format button on the front of the Tivo box itself. Hold it down for several seconds and it'll reboot the box.

I got the button name wrong.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #17
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayern_fan View Post
The remote's input button can put the unit into standby mode? That's news to me!
I believe he mis-spoke, and he's referring to the "Format" button on the front of the physical unit, though I'm not sure I've tried it on the Premiere
Old 08-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #18
Troy J B
Lucky 200 Member

Quote:
I see the Roamio has broken with tradition and actually has a power button.

Anyone know what it actually does?
To be clear the button is labelled "TV Pwr". Hitting it didn't do anything in my setup (I didn't configure the remote for my tv). This is the remote that came with the Roamio Pro (not sure about the base model remote).

Last edited by Troy J B : 08-21-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: added Pro note.
Troy J B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #19
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy J B View Post
To be clear the button is labelled "TV Pwr". Hitting it didn't do anything in my setup (I didn't configure the remote for my tv). This is the remote that came with the Roamio Pro (not sure about the base model remote).
I wasn't talking about the remote. I was talking about the circle with vertical dash button on the front of the box in some of the pictures.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #20
Troy J B
Lucky 200 Member

Ah, pushing the green circle on the front of the box, does put the TiVo into standby.
Troy J B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #21
mdscott

Quote:
I wasn't talking about the remote. I was talking about the circle with vertical dash button on the front of the box in some of the pictures.
THe Roamio Plus & Pro have a "find-the-remote" feature. Preess button on box (not sure if this is it) and remote beeps.

mds
Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #22
Series3Sub

Finally, an easy, quick way to put the TiVo in Standby. That PITA menu dance just to put in Standby was always ticking me off. I prefer to put my TiVo's in standby preserve the brilliance of the status lights. As for my S3, if I see the RED record lights and I want to know what it's recording, I just press Live TV to see what's up. I can leave it like that for a few hours, but over all, I give the lights lots of rest. I want the lights when I use the TiVo, just not when I'm not using it. I've seen TiVo's with rarely in Standby and they look weak.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #23
brentil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy J B View Post
Ah, pushing the green circle on the front of the box, does put the TiVo into standby.
If you hold down the button (for at least 5 seconds) does it power down the TiVo?