TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #931
Philmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
It looks fast, but tough to really judge until full drives and multiple recordings.

HTML5 platform?
HTML 5 as in no longer Flash, that's HUGE and will do wonders for the performance and frequency of app updates. Now we get updates as fast as YouTube and Netflix can pump them out.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #932
bradleys
It'll be fine....

- HTML 5 app platform
- wifi capable
- stream outside the home network (coming)
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #933
MeInDallas

I'll have to say it looks like a Premiere box with a new faceplate on it, but it does look nice. I do like the new remote as well, it looks a bit shorter and fatter. Someone needs to buy one now and tell us all about it
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #934
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
HTML 5 as in no longer Flash, that's HUGE and will do wonders for the performance and frequency of app updates. Now we get updates as fast as YouTube and Netflix can pump them out.
I think that is just the apps though. Hopefully not, but will need to wait probably for answers on that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #935
Philmatic

Yeah, I mentioned that in my first post, I'm pretty sure it's just the apps as well. Still, will go a long ways to speed things up, both in performance and update frequency. Netflix and YouTube can auto update on the fly without involving TiVo at all.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #936
bradleys
It'll be fine....

New thread for Roamio conversation

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507596
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #937
rothsss

Has anybody managed to order lifetime for less than $499.99?
rothsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #938
innocentfreak

No the Account page is still down. You get a 404 if you click My Account. Wait until that page is up.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #939
rothsss

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
No the Account page is still down. You get a 404 if you click My Account. Wait until that page is up.
Thanks.
rothsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:28 AM   #940
lpwcomp

Definitely no built-in MOCA on the 4 tuner model. Plus, I'm a bit peeved by this in the FAQ:

Quote:
Many cable companies require that a technician come to your home to install the card, but some allow subscribers to install the cards themselves. Call your cable company and inquire about their CableCARD installation policy.
Have the FCC regulations on CableCARD self-install been rescinded?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:35 AM   #941
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Definitely no built-in MOCA on the 4 tuner model. Plus, I'm a bit peeved by this in the FAQ:

Have the FCC regulations on CableCARD self-install been rescinded?
Just TiVo handing out friendly advice in their FAQ's. Supposed too, blah, blah - this is easier and correct.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-20-2013, 02:00 AM   #942
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Just TiVo handing out friendly advice in their FAQ's. Supposed too, blah, blah - this is easier and correct.
If the FCC regulations are still in affect, then it is certainly not correct and TiVo is enabling some cable operators to rip people off. As of November 2011, the regulations not only require all cable operators to allow self-install of CableCARDs, they must explicitly inform customers of this option. The only exception to this rule is "...if your equipment manufacturer or vendor does not provide you with instructions on how to install a CableCARD and offer a toll-free telephone number for product support."

Old 08-20-2013, 02:12 AM   #943
Dan203
Super Moderator

I thought the rule was that they are required to offer self installs of CableCARDs if they offer self installs of any other equipment. If they don't offer any self installs then I think they are still allowed to require a truck roll. Also I think there are still a few small cable companies with exemptions. TiVo is likely just covering their bases.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:16 AM   #944
MeInDallas

Did anyone see this today? Does it have any legs?

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/C...or-Good-125440

Sounds like they are really lobbying hard to get rid of them.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...-cutting-bill/
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #945
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I thought the rule was that they are required to offer self installs of CableCARDs if they offer self installs of any other equipment. If they don't offer any self installs then I think they are still allowed to require a truck roll. Also I think there are still a few small cable companies with exemptions. TiVo is likely just covering their bases.
That's exactly how I remember it being, and have not run across any chatter about it being changed (yet).

The cableco's are fighting the integration ban (requiring that they don't integrate the cablecard functions as part of the unit, in a non-removable way). If there should come a ruling on the matter, and they accidentally word something wrong, or too loosely, then a loophole might give the cableco's a way to make it more like it used to be (good for them, bad for us).
Old 08-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #946
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Crap!!!! $600?!?!?

Is the only difference between the Plus and the Pro the 3TB drive? if so I hope someone figures out how to expand it quickly. Because if they are the same, I'm not paying $200 for an extra 2TB. Not when I just picked up several 3TB drives for $110 each. And the last 2TB drive I picked up earlier this Summer was only $70.
there's an eSata port, so that's instant expansion.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #947
wco81

Any reason why they use eSata?

I know Thunderbolt would be too expensive but what about USB 3? Drives are dirt cheap.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #948
P42

Because eSATA is just an external SATA connection. They don't need to add any additional drivers etc to the code. For USB3 they would need to add drivers for each USB3 chipset they wanted/needed to support.

ForSale: TCD746320 with Lifetime
WTB: Sprint iPhone5
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #949
wco81

Hmm, why is that not a problem for computers and now even some phones and tablets with USB ports?

You can buy any USB drive at Best Buy and plug it into a USB port and it just works.

I can understand that USB 2 probably wasn't fast enough for video but USB 3? Or maybe the bus has the potential speed to support it but there's overhead or reliability concerns when it comes to sustaining some minimal threshold.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #950
jrtroo
User

Asked and answered, see post 948. Its just plain easier and cheaper.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #951
ilovedvrs

http://www.itworld.com/hardware/9898...-faster-better

"Now, eSATA can handle 300 MBps (MegaBytes per second) and USB 3.0 can wheel and deal up to 625 MBps."

"In both cases the real world results were quite a bit slower than their theoretical bests. With reads, my USB (3) drive averaged 90 MBps, while the eSATA drive came in at 75 MBps. When it came to writing to the disk eSATA still processed data at 75 MBps while the USB drive dropped to 62 MBps."
ilovedvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #952
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
there's an eSata port, so that's instant expansion.
I've never used an external hard drive with a TiVo since that is another point of failure. Plus with the external drive, if it goes belly up you lose all your recordings, from both the internal and external drive. Unless things are different for the Roamio boxes.

That is one feature where the cable companies seem to have done a better job. Since many of them will not lose the recordings on the internal drive if the external one goes belly up.
I've always opted for a larger internal drive than using an external drive to increase storage.

Although I really need a minimum of 3TB of storage. So I either need to be able to expand the Plus Roamio or I have to bite the bullet and just pick up a Pro Roamio.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #953
Philmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Hmm, why is that not a problem for computers and now even some phones and tablets with USB ports?

You can buy any USB drive at Best Buy and plug it into a USB port and it just works.

I can understand that USB 2 probably wasn't fast enough for video but USB 3? Or maybe the bus has the potential speed to support it but there's overhead or reliability concerns when it comes to sustaining some minimal threshold.
USB 2.0 is plenty fast for TiVo recording.

The reason eSATA was chosen was for technical reasons, it provides direct communication to the hard drive which is required for security and encryption. They can possibly provide this over USB 3.0, but why? There is absolutely no benefit to using USB 3.0 and eSATA already supports what they need and is more efficient.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #954
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:

The reason eSATA was chosen was for technical reasons, it provides direct communication to the hard drive which is required for security and encryption. They can possibly provide this over USB 3.0, but why? There is absolutely no benefit to using USB 3.0 and eSATA already supports what they need and is more efficient.
USB 3.0 = a connection that doesn't easily just fall out of the connector. I hate eSata for that.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #955
atmuscarella

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
USB 3.0 = a connection that doesn't easily just fall out of the connector. I hate eSata for that.
I think for many people the issue isn't really eSata vs USB but more the way TiVo handles exterior storage. At least that is the issue I have, I don't want my exterior storage married to my internal hard drive. I just want it to be an optional storage location and I want to be able to fill as many exterior drives as I want just by plugging them in and moving shows onto them.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #956
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I think for many people the issue isn't really eSata vs USB but more the way TiVo handles exterior storage. At least that is the issue I have, I don't want my exterior storage married to my internal hard drive. I just want it to be an optional storage location and I want to be able to fill as many exterior drives as I want just by plugging them in and moving shows onto them.
Cablelabs will not allow that. The limitation is not TiVo's fault.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #957
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That was the rule that went into affect in August 2011. It became applicable to all cable operators in November 2011.

From the FCC web site (empassis mine):
Quote:
Self-install your CableCARD. Effective August 8, 2011, cable operators must allow self-installation of CableCARDs if they allow self-installation of other equipment, such as digital boxes or cable modems. By November 1, 2011, all cable operators must allow self-installation of CableCARDs. Your operator may decline your request for self-installation if your equipment manufacturer or vendor does not provide you with instructions on how to install a CableCARD and offer a toll-free telephone number for product support. FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(1).

Old 08-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #958
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Cablelabs will not allow that. The limitation is not TiVo's fault.
also, it's no different than running some drives in a RAID0 config in a PC. You can't just remove one.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #959
wco81

If you fill up drives with recordings and you for some reason drop cable, are you still able to view the recordings without a Cable Card?
Old 08-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #960
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
If you fill up drives with recordings and you for some reason drop cable, are you still able to view the recordings without a Cable Card?
Yes. At least i could with my Premiere boxes.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote