TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Is Tivo's standby mode useful?
Yes 18 31.58%
No 39 68.42%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 08-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #31
NoVa

What is Standby Mode?
What is EAS issue?
NoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #32
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa View Post
What is Standby Mode?
What is EAS issue?
Things that are discussed in great length and detail, more than once, which you'd know if you did a little reading of these related threads and follow the links to other related threads.

I've been thoroughly b***hed-out for posting the answers to what you are asking, several times, and for even providing the links between them. So, you'll just have to read through the associated threads.

You can also use the Search tab, do an advanced search for "standby" and/or "EAS". For the best results, make sure to only search the thread titles for those words, and have it return the results as threads, as opposed to posts.

Best of luck.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #33
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa View Post
What is Standby Mode?
What is EAS issue?
As I understand it, standby mode turns video output off on your TiVo. The Emergency Alert System runs tests (seems like more in some areas of the country then others)

If you are recording on your TiVo and an EAS alert come out, it will of course interupt your recording. From what I gather, if you have it on Standby the EAS will not interupt your recording. (not sure, never tested this)

I have personally never had an EAS alert interupt a recording, I am in Dallas, and I think we only see them a couple of times a year anyway. In fairness, I don't do a lot of recordings overnight - when I do it is usually an HBO movie or the like.

I hope that helps.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 08-19-2013 at 03:21 PM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #34
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
As I understand it, standby mode turns video output off on your TiVo. The Emergency Alert System runs tests (seems like more in some areas of the country then others)

If you are recording on your TiVo and an EAS alert come out, it will of course interupt your recording. From what I gather, if you have it on Standby the EAS will not interupt your recording. (not sure, never tested this)

I have personally never had an EAS alert interupt a recording, I am in Dallas, and I think we only see them a couple of times a year anyway. In fairness, I don't do a lot of recordings overnight - when I do it is usually an HBO movie or the like.

I hope that helps.
EAS doesn't just run tests. Typical messages are weather warnings and they occur whenever the weather is approaching -- not just at night. I've had five in one day -- during daytime or prime time hours.

You are leading a charmed life regarding EAS. You must not be on a TWC system, or Dallas just doesn't get much severe weather, or your cable system just isn't implementing EAS. (I wish my TWC would not implement it at all.)

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #35
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
EAS doesn't just run tests. Typical messages are weather warnings and they occur whenever the weather is approaching -- not just at night. I've had five in one day -- during daytime or prime time hours.

You are leading a charmed life regarding EAS. You must not be on a TWC system, or Dallas just doesn't get much severe weather, or your cable system just isn't implementing EAS. (I wish my TWC would not implement it at all.)
I am in Dallas and I have FIOS... Yeah, dont really need an EAS alert to say "It's Hot, Damn Hot!"
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #36
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post

My wife records all hours of the night and never had any recording interrupted by the EAS, when watching a recording we get the EAS interruption many times but it does not show up on the recording going on at the same time, for some people the recording gets cut up with the EAS but for Comcast in Hartford CT it does not, or we have been lucky.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #37
mattack

..and as I said in the other thread, in a shorter version this time, as WELL as EAS, it *SUPPOSEDLY* will start recording Suggestions sooner, instead of waiting a long time after the last remote keypress.

So for those of us who use suggestions as a free space indicator, it can be slightly helpful.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote