TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #901
steinbch

I've got a 2-tuner Premiere with lifetime that I'll be willing to sell as soon as the ordering info is posted.
steinbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #902
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
being ota only, with 2 premiere's i dont see a need for this or the extra expense, even as a replacement.

if we assume lifetime being $299 MSD, $500 plus a mini, its not worth it to me. Especially that i have no issues with the premiere's speed, functionality, storage or multipath/tuner issues others here experience. I already have a stream so that functionality is a wash for me and i use an appletv or roku for the streaming stuff.

this thing better have some totally new and compelling software wise that is only in the S5 line that could prompt me to upgrade.
The only real advantage to you would be consolidating those tuners into a single box. Managing a single To Do List is a lot easier then managing two. A 4 tuner box and a Mini would be $850 with lifetime, you could probably sell your two Premiere's for close to that, so it might only cost to $100 when it's all said and done. Plus if the new unit really does have an external power brick, rather then an internal power supply, that would be a big boon for long term reliability.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #903
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The only real advantage to you would be consolidating those tuners into a single box. Managing a single To Do List is a lot easier then managing two. A 4 tuner box and a Mini would be $850 with lifetime, you could probably sell your two Premiere's for close to that, so it might only cost to $100 when it's all said and done. Plus if the new unit really does have an external power brick, rather then an internal power supply, that would be a big boon for long term reliability.
Also saves on a CableCARD which if on FiOS is now $4.99 a month or $60 a year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #904
SullyND
W:29-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Dan was replying to someone who is OTA though, right?
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #905
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinbch View Post
I've got a 2-tuner Premiere with lifetime that I'll be willing to sell as soon as the ordering info is posted.
You should put that in your signature.

There's also a Buyer/Seller area for such matters:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...splay.php?f=72
Old 08-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #906
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
Dan was replying to someone who is OTA though, right?
Yeah the poster was OTA only. I actually almost suggested the same savings on a CableCARD and then caught myself right before I posted.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #907
Aero 1

Quote:
i thought of the to do list, but honestly, its not that big of a deal to us. the power brick idea is interesting and the central hub aspect of this is a little scary because if it goes down, there goes all recordings and all live tv functionality until it gets fixed.

to me, if there is no exclusive improvement or features only available to the S5 and not available to the older models, its not worth my time and an extra $100 out of my pocket to go through the trouble of selling my old units, calling tivo for transfers and possible paying ebay and paypal fees. only time will tell if its worth it.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #908
innocentfreak

Quote:
Yeah the poster was OTA only. I actually almost suggested the same savings on a CableCARD and then caught myself right before I posted.
Missed that.

The bid thing with the power brick is I hope the cord is long enough. In one of the rooms I have the TiVo above the TV and always had issues with the 360 there because the cables weren't long enough for me to set the power brick anywhere.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #909
MScottC

I'm very disappointed that the larger units don't do OTA. That is really what I was waiting for. And if the smallest unit can't take a 1 TB drive, I'm really going to be annoyed. I simply wanted a 6 tuner model that allowed me the option of dropping cable. This bites.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #910
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MScottC View Post
I'm very disappointed that the larger units don't do OTA. That is really what I was waiting for. And if the smallest unit can't take a 1 TB drive, I'm really going to be annoyed. I simply wanted a 6 tuner model that allowed me the option of dropping cable. This bites.
This is the first quad tuner OTA box. You will probably be waiting a long time for it since the tech is well behind where cable tuners are at.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #911
MScottC

Perhaps... but don't cut off all the other options that come with the larger models as well. I can actually deal with the 4 tuners. My wife and I have dealt with 2 tuners since I purchased the original S3. I just wanted this to go along with a mini for the guest room and at least a TB of storage, along with all the streaming options.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #912
greatking8

For the 4 tuner model, do you think it will be 4 tuners that can do both OTA and Cable or 2 tuners for OTA and 2 for cable?

I was holding out thinking all 4 could be for OTA but I have a feeling the 4 tuners will actually be 2OTA/2QAM.
greatking8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #913
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatking8 View Post
For the 4 tuner model, do you think it will be 4 tuners that can do both OTA and Cable or 2 tuners for OTA and 2 for cable?

I was holding out thinking all 4 could be for OTA but I have a feeling the 4 tuners will actually be 2OTA/2QAM.
From what we heard you select either OTA or Cable at setup - and all tuners are available for that purpose.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #914
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:

Early word is that you will be able to select 4 OTA or 4 QAM, but won't be able to mix and match. It's 4 usable tuners for one source or the other.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #915
innocentfreak

Quote:

The one rumor is it will be 4 qam/4OTA, but you can't mix. You will only be able to use one or the other.

TiVo likes to keep it simple so I doubt it would be 2+2 since more of a support nightmare from customers expecting 4 tuners. Then again they did it before with the series 2 dual tuner.

They could also do 4qam/2ota but I doubt it.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #916
sbiller

I think the embargo drops in 90 minutes... for those inclined to stay up late into the night! :-)
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #917
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I was really hoping for a 6 tuner with 3TB, (or at least 2TB), but not for $600.

Guess I will have to wait for the Woot Renaming sell-off!!!

Or the price to drop to $500 at the very most.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #918
BigJimOutlaw

Killing time til then... lol. So what does everybody think of the hardware design?

The pics from that site aren't the best. The source images were resized creating a moire pattern on the mesh, but overall they're not bad looking. Not great either. I'm not a big fan of silver electronics. The cell phone pic off the TV made the Roamio-4 look almost totally silver, but the actual box looks better than that.

The lights are hard to see in the mesh noise. At least in the photos.

If there's a Find my Remote button, where might it be (Tivo logo = button?) Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 08-19-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #919
innocentfreak

I think in the past they have also held it til 9 AM, but hopefully it drops tonight.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #920
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Killing time til then... lol. So what does everybody think of the hardware design?

The pics from that site aren't the best. The source images were resized creating a moire pattern on the mesh, but overall they're not bad looking. Not great either. I'm not a big fan of silver electronics. The cell phone pic off the TV made the Roamio-4 look almost totally silver, but the actual box looks better than that.
Not a huge fan of the design. It looks almost like a binder or file folder with a flip cover.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #921
MeInDallas

Its the name I hate! I know it dont make any difference in what it does, but I think they couldve come up with a better name. Now for years to come everyone here will be saying "Roamio Roamio"
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #922
Philmatic

It will be tonight... tivo.com came down for maintenance at 11pm EDT (It's 11:11pm right now).

http://www.tivo.com/
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #923
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
Wonder why the base model has a different shape?
The base model has a smaller form factor.

Quote:
Yes, at a first passing glace I almost thought it was the Slide.

Can anyone make out what the button says under the directional pad? It almost looks like "Guide" but that would be redundant.
The two buttons between the thumbs down & up are Mute & Rec

Last edited by Davisadm : 08-19-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #924
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
The two buttons between the thumbs down & up are Mute & Rec
It doesn't appear to be the same Slide remote. The big button below the directional pad appears to say Guide. The question now is what's the small button between the Volume and Input on the new one. (Zoom looks like it was moved to the right.)

Edit: It says Back.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 08-19-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #925
MeInDallas

Do you know does the smaller one use an external power supply?
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #926
Philmatic

cnet is the first to break the embargo: http://news.yahoo.com/video/tivos-la...46182-cbs.html

Wow... the interface is fast fast fast!

Built in WiFi! on all Models!
Newest versions of Netflix and YouTube apps are preloaded
And... wait for it... HTML 5 is now available as an app platform! Netflix and YouTube already using it, but no word on if the entire interface has been moved over or if this is only for the OTT apps.
What to Watch Now, similar to the iPhone/iPad app
Built in streaming on the Plus and Tivo is planning on outside the home streaming as well
Internal power supplies on at least the Plus and Pro, no word on the OTA model
Old 08-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #927
Philmatic

Also, SEVERAL UI enhancements.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #928
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
cnet is the first to break the embargo: http://news.yahoo.com/video/tivos-la...46182-cbs.html

Wow... the interface is fast fast fast!

Built in WiFi! on all Models!
Newest versions of Netflix and YouTube apps are preloaded
And... wait for it... HTML 5 is now available as an app platform! Netflix and YouTube already using it, but no word on if the entire interface has been moved over or if this is only for the OTT apps.
What to Watch Now, similar to the iPhone/iPad app
Built in streaming on the Plus and Tivo is planning on outside the home streaming as well
Internal power supplies on at least the Plus and Pro, no word on the OTA model
It looks fast, but tough to really judge until full drives and multiple recordings.

HTML5 platform?

Old 08-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #929
innocentfreak

Quote:
It doesn't appear to be the same Slide remote. The big button below the directional pad appears to say Guide. The question now is what's the small button between the Volume and Input on the new one. (Zoom looks like it was moved to the right.)
It says Back per the Cnet video. Maybe instead of left now you hit back to go back a screen?

Old 08-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #930
innocentfreak

Now that it is official. We may want to start a new thread with the official name.