TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #871
Dan203
Super Moderator

I never really cared about the OLED on the S3. Maybe if it were 2x the size it might have been useful, but it was so small I couldn't read it from across the room anyway.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #872
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I never really cared about the OLED on the S3. Maybe if it were 2x the size it might have been useful, but it was so small I couldn't read it from across the room anyway.
I couldn't really see it either unless I was walking by the unit, but there was something sophisticated about it - I'm seduced by the eye candy and it looked nothing like the cablecos generic box. Hoping for better Roamio pics tomorrow - based on these lower res product shots, it almost looks like they're doing something similar to the Slingbox PRO-HD with a metal grate front and light behind. Hm.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #873
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes the remote does look smaller. Which looks like a nice improvement since I like the size of the Slide remote.
I don't think so... I think it is just the scaling of the image that makes it look different.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #874
series5orpremier

I was speculating they might adjust the price of lifetime as a function of the number of tuners. Maybe that's what they've effectively done with the upfront hardware pricing. I was thinking they could make retail lifetime $600 for the 6-tuner models, keep it at $500 for the 4-tuner, and actually reduce it to $400 for the Premier which they could keep around as the entry level box while permanently lowering it's suggested retail price to $100.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #875
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I don't think so... I think it is just the scaling of the image that makes it look different.
I found that the pic in the FCC filing looked smaller than the current Peanut...
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #876
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Looks like Guide to me.

The zoom button and regular guide button on the remote look like they say something different.

Either the directional pad is smaller or the remote is somewhere between the size of the Slide and the Peanut. On the Slide you don't have the room for a Guide button there and I can't see making the existing buttons smaller.
It looks like the big one says Guide, and Zoom was moved to the right side where the old Guide button was. Now to figure out what the small one on the left says... Looks a little like Search, but...
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #877
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I am really looking forward to the detailed reviews, hopefully something will come out to tell me that this is more then a simple incremental update.

I will probably swing for the $400 Roamio Plus model, but only because I never purchased a 4 tuner Elite.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #878
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by series5orpremier View Post
I was speculating they might adjust the price of lifetime as a function of the number of tuners. Maybe that's what they've effectively done with the upfront hardware pricing. I was thinking they could make retail lifetime $600 for the 6-tuner models, keep it at $500 for the 4-tuner, and actually reduce it to $400 for the Premier which they could keep around as the entry level box while permanently lowering it's suggested retail price to $100.
If they did that, a new TiVo wouldn't even be a consideration for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #879
BigJimOutlaw

It's more or less incremental. Depending on the models, it's a CPU upgrade, HDD upgrade, Stream integration, 4-tuner OTA support, RF remote...

MoCA and app support are missing from the 4-tuner description, so those are flags to watch until we hear otherwise. Can't imagine why there wouldn't be app support.

I'm probably in for a Plus sooner rather than later. The sluggish Elite has been annoying me, and the extra tuners will free up the chance to add another Mini at some point.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #880
series5orpremier

So maybe it's more palatable marketing just to add that $100 to the upfront price of the box, which appears what they may have done.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #881
Dan203
Super Moderator

I wish the Plus had a 2TB drive instead of 1TB then I wouldn't need the Pro. But as it is now my Elite is 63% full and it has a 2TB so the 1TB drive in the Pro isn't enough. I guess I could get an eSATA but it's cleaner to just pay for the 3TB Pro.

I'm guessing that an Elite with Lifetime and 1.5 years of extended warranty left probably wont go for more then $500-$600, so this is still going to be a big expense.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #882
sbiller

I wonder if we should make anything of this difference in the wording about connecting to the Mini's?

Quote:
4-Tuner - Connects to TiVoŽ Mini & other TiVoŽ DVRs
Quote:
6-Tuners - Connects to multiple TiVoŽ Mini devices
I would be very surprised if Dynamic Tuner Allocation was supported only in the 6-tuner boxes...
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #883
Dan203
Super Moderator

You'd be surprised if DTA was supported on the 6-tuner? Why? It should be supported on all TiVos.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #884
stack

Hoping this release puts a lot of 4's and XL's on the market so I can pick up my first TiVo lol
stack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #885
sbiller

Quote:
You'd be surprised if DTA was supported on the 6-tuner? Why? It should be supported on all TiVos.
Just think the wording on the 4-tuner is odd compared to the 6-tuner. I expect it's just inconsistent wording.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #886
innocentfreak

Quote:
I wish the Plus had a 2TB drive instead of 1TB then I wouldn't need the Pro. But as it is now my Elite is 63% full and it has a 2TB so the 1TB drive in the Pro isn't enough. I guess I could get an eSATA but it's cleaner to just pay for the 3TB Pro.

I'm guessing that an Elite with Lifetime and 1.5 years of extended warranty left probably wont go for more then $500-$600, so this is still going to be a big expense.
If they had a XL4 I would consider that at this point even though 6 tuners 3 TB is the model I wanted.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #887
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Just think the wording on the 4-tuner is odd compared to the 6-tuner. I expect it's just inconsistent wording.
That could just be the marketing. The 6 tuner is likely to be marketed as a hub/spoke setup with a single TiVo in the main room and multiple Minis in the other rooms. The 4 tuner, because of it's dual personality of being able to record OTA or Cable, but not both, might be more likely to end up in a multi-TiVo household.

However I seriously doubt their actual functionality will be different. I suspect that once DTA is live the tuner allocation option will be gone and everything will just be automatic. The limit on the number of Minis that can access a TiVo at once should be either the number of tuners it has (minus 1 for the host) or whatever the limit on the max number of simultaneous streams is. (currently 3 but could be more on the 6 tuner if the hardware can handle it)
Old 08-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #888
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
I wonder if we should make anything of this difference in the wording about connecting to the Mini's?

I would be very surprised if Dynamic Tuner Allocation was supported only in the 6-tuner boxes...
That reads to me more like maybe the 4-tuner model might not support more than one Mini, DTA or not. Another strange "wait for the official word" thing to add. The messaging may not be fully baked.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #889
sbiller

Quote:
That could just be the marketing. The 6 tuner is likely to be marketed as a hub/spoke setup with a single TiVo in the main room and multiple Minis in the other rooms. The 4 tuner, because of it's dual personality of being able to record OTA or Cable, but not both, might be more likely to end up in a multi-TiVo household.

However I seriously doubt their actual functionality will be different. I suspect that once DTA is live the tuner allocation option will be gone and everything will just be automatic. The limit on the number of Minis that can access a TiVo at once should be either the number of tuners it has (minus 1 for the host) or whatever the limit on the max number of simultaneous streams is. (currently 3 but could be more on the 6 tuner if the hardware can handle it)
Agreed. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #890
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
Yes it does look smaller, I didnt notice that at first. Maybe its like someone said and has a wall wart power supply, or one like a laptop. Maybe even the 2.5 form factor hard drive like was discussed. Seagate has a 500GB video drive capable of 12 HD streams, so maybe they threw that in there

EDIT: Looks like Western Digital changed the specs on their 2.5 A/V drive to now say 10, it used to say 4.
Here's something to consider:

Unless TiVo has finally started using AV streaming extensions, it doesn't matter how many streams the drive specs say.

If they have finally started using AV streaming extensions, that means no more using non-AV drives for upgrades.

All Premiere and previous TiVo models wrote the data to the drive just the same as a computer would write any old data. This was why we could use non-AV drives to upgrade them.

Last time I looked, my Premiere logs all showed that even though the controller chip and drives supported SATA-2, the TiVo set the mode to SATA-1.

I can't wait for somebody to do a teardown and spec-out on all the guts, as well as to see if TiVo finally updated their code to use the full potential, beyond SATA-1, and if they began using AV streaming extensions...

A lot of people seem to think that just because there is an AV rated drive inside, that it automatically uses the AV streaming command set. So far, that's been absolutely wrong. Just like saying that you shouldn't use AV-rated drives in PCs. An AV drive in a PC runs in non-AV mode, just like they've been doing inside TiVos all this time...
Old 08-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #891
NYHeel

With these terrible prices I'm going to wait and see if someone puts together a 3TB drive upgrade. Or maybe I'll just wait for prices to come down or promotions to come out. Wow is the price for the 3TB model bad. How are they going to sell a DVR for $1100 total. Maybe they'll lower their service pricing? I thought $400 maybe $500. But $600? That's horrific.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #892
stack

Going to start scouring for my first TiVo. Looks like I will be looking for a lifetime paid XL or 4 version since prices should drop,
stack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #893
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I seem to be doing fine with ONLY four tuners on my Elite... Still... Six tuners would be better... Maybe I'll give the kids the Elite and sell my beloved Series 3.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #894
moyekj

I'll be willing to fork out $800 for a lifetime Roamio Plus right away just to not have to deal with my laggy Elite anymore. 1TB should be enough space - certainly wouldn't be willing to spend $200 for 2TB extra. Kind of wish they had a cheaper 6 tuner model without built in stream since I don't have much use for that feature.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #895
Aero 1

being ota only, with 2 premiere's i dont see a need for this or the extra expense, even as a replacement.

if we assume lifetime being $299 MSD, $500 plus a mini, its not worth it to me. Especially that i have no issues with the premiere's speed, functionality, storage or multipath/tuner issues others here experience. I already have a stream so that functionality is a wash for me and i use an appletv or roku for the streaming stuff.

this thing better have some totally new and compelling software wise that is only in the S5 line that could prompt me to upgrade.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #896
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
With these terrible prices I'm going to wait and see if someone puts together a 3TB drive upgrade. Or maybe I'll just wait for prices to come down or promotions to come out. Wow is the price for the 3TB model bad. How are they going to sell a DVR for $1100 total. Maybe they'll lower their service pricing? I thought $400 maybe $500. But $600? That's horrific.
It's what TiVo has been doing for years. The top-of-the-line model is priced so TiVo about breaks even on it. Al the other models have substantial hardware subsidies on them. Historically, the subsidies have been in the 30-40% range when totaled across all the models (though last year was the first time substantially under 25% ever since they started building them). For instance, in 2009, TiVo received $42M in hardware revenues, while the cost of hardware revenues was $58M.

So figure a bit under $100 for the extra disk, and over $100 in lack of subsidy, and you get the $200 price differential for the Pro as opposed to the Plus.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #897
mrizzo80

A bit surprised the EngadgetHD podcast is happening tonight. With the rumors of the TiVo S5 embargo lifting soon I would've thought they'd hold the podcast til tomorrow night so they could discuss it.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #898
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
being ota only, with 2 premiere's i dont see a need for this or the extra expense, even as a replacement.

if we assume lifetime being $299 MSD, $500 plus a mini, its not worth it to me. Especially that i have no issues with the premiere's speed, functionality, storage or multipath/tuner issues others here experience. I already have a stream so that functionality is a wash for me and i use an appletv or roku for the streaming stuff.

this thing better have some totally new and compelling software wise that is only in the S5 line that could prompt me to upgrade.
MSD is $399 now.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #899
P42

Quote:
Originally Posted by stack View Post
Going to start scouring for my first TiVo. Looks like I will be looking for a lifetime paid XL or 4 version since prices should drop,
Why don't you stick what your interested in buying in your sig? Also, there is a big difference between an XL and a 4, so be clear. And who knows someone may PM you. Regards.
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #900
aridon

Can't wait for some people to get hands on to see if the lag is fixed or not. That was the biggest reason I got rid of my Premiere and went back to D*.
aridon is offline   Reply With Quote