TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
Emacee

Question Aereo: Can't Beat 'em, Join 'em!

There are discussions about Aereo as a "threat" to Tivo. My question is: Has Tivo looked at working with and supporting Aereo. Tivo supports other streaming services: Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Xfinity. It seems like Tivo's functionality would work with Aereo, as well. Why fight it? Why not offer an additional option to Tivo users?

Does anyone have any information on whether Tivo is talking to Aereo?
Plus a Roku2 for Netflix, Amazon Prime
Previously:
Hughes DirecTivo (02-06)
Phillips Series1 (99-03)
Emacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

No but it seems like a no brainer since some Tivo units don't support OTA. I think Aereo needs to do some significant expanding first. Tivo doesn't have many subscribers as it is. The number of people with both Tivo and Aereo is probably very very tiny.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
unitron

If Aereo can "re-transmit" OTA signals without having to pay the broadcast station anything, shouldn't that provide legal precedent to do away with the current TWC-CBS mess?

In both cases, someone who lives in the area covered by the broadcaster is paying someone else to handle their "antenna-ing" for them.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If Aereo can "re-transmit" OTA signals without having to pay the broadcast station anything, shouldn't that provide legal precedent to do away with the current TWC-CBS mess?

In both cases, someone who lives in the area covered by the broadcaster is paying someone else to handle their "antenna-ing" for them.
Yep. What do you do when someone takes what you're giving away free and then sells it to third parties? One thing that might justify retransmission fees is if the Cable Cos are inserting their own commercials. Do they do that?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Yep. What do you do when someone takes what you're giving away free and then sells it to third parties? One thing that might justify retransmission fees is if the Cable Cos are inserting their own commercials. Do they do that?
No the cable companies cannot insert their own commercials. The law was pretty one side in the TV station's favor. It basically allowed the TV Station to decide if they were going to force the cable company to rebroadcast their station or try and get the cable company to pay them for the right to rebroadcast, at the same time the cable company was not allowed to bring in an out of market station broadcasting the same network, thus preventing any competition.

In any event anytime a cable/satellite company has to pay more for any channel there is a near 100% assurance that over time that cost is past to the consumer. If CBS gets what they want ABC, NBC, & FOX will follow and of course they will up the costs to other cable and satellite companies as soon as possible.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

There's no point in a merger except to get a programming source for TiVo.

Aereo is doing the DVR in the cloud. There's no need to add DVR in a DVR. There's no value add there.
2 Series 2 DT 500GB
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post

Aereo is doing the DVR in the cloud. There's no need to add DVR in a DVR. There's no value add there.
I would think there would be value for both TiVo, Aereo and their customers if TiVo's DVRs had the ability to stream and/or record the OTA content being provided through the Aereo service.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post

Aereo would provide HD quality broadcast channels to Tivo users -- no need for them to buy, install, and tweak settings with their own antenna.

It could also help Tivo move to a cloud based DVR system -- or it could be a transition point allowing Tivo users to slingbox style view from away from home. Meaning no need to transfer Tivo shows to an iPad or laptop; you could stream recordings from home as you want.

I think Tivo + Aereo could be a good thing; however, Aereo is going to be bought quickly by a major player. Most likely, it will be Dish.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Emacee

I guess my original post led some to think "merger." I wasn't thinking of that (although it's always a possibility). I was thinking Tivo should support Aereo streaming as it does Netflix or Amazon (and has not merged with either of them). And except for the newer four-tuner model and the DirecTV model, Tivos do support OTA. Seems like Aereo might offer some advantages over an in-house (or on-house) antenna.
Plus a Roku2 for Netflix, Amazon Prime
Previously:
Hughes DirecTivo (02-06)
Phillips Series1 (99-03)
Emacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
shwru980r

Many customers could just hook up a cheap indoor antenna to their TV and pick up a few over the air channels.
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
Many customers could just hook up a cheap indoor antenna to their TV and pick up a few over the air channels.
I think we can be pretty sure that those customers are not the Aereo subcribers.
2 Series 2 DT 500GB
UVerse and OTA
Old 08-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I know you have quotes there, but to explain for others, Aereo's own argument is that they have a separate antenna for EACH subscriber, so their argument is that they are not re-transmitting, they are (now my words) renting you an antenna.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emacee View Post
I guess my original post led some to think "merger." I wasn't thinking of that (although it's always a possibility). I was thinking Tivo should support Aereo streaming as it does Netflix or Amazon (and has not merged with either of them). And except for the newer four-tuner model and the DirecTV model, Tivos do support OTA. Seems like Aereo might offer some advantages over an in-house (or on-house) antenna.
Um, no way - Tivo does everything it can to avoid pissing off the content creators and providers (not to mention getting in bed with the MSOs), there's no way they're going to take on the controversy that is Aereo right now.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Um, no way - Tivo does everything it can to avoid pissing off the content creators and providers (not to mention getting in bed with the MSOs), there's no way they're going to take on the controversy that is Aereo right now.
I believe there are a few more court battles, and then Aereo is free to thrive. Disruptive companies are always fun to watch.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
marrone
Phased Member

I hope they come to the Orlando area. Since I went cable & dish free, my wife has been griping abotu live TV...specifically she couldn't watch The Bachelorette Finale live last night...couldn't wait a day or two to be on hulu. WAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Aereo would have solved that problem.

For anyone who receives Orlando Stations, please go to Aereo and click on the service area request, and request Orlando!

I'm looking at getting an antenna right now, but I'm so far away from the transmitters it will be difficult.

Thanks
-Mike
Old 08-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrone View Post
I hope they come to the Orlando area. Since I went cable & dish free, my wife has been griping abotu live TV...specifically she couldn't watch The Bachelorette Finale live last night...couldn't wait a day or two to be on hulu. WAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Aereo would have solved that problem.

For anyone who receives Orlando Stations, please go to Aereo and click on the service area request, and request Orlando!

I'm looking at getting an antenna right now, but I'm so far away from the transmitters it will be difficult.

Thanks
-Mike
Either of these websites will help in your antenna choice:
antennaweb.org
tvfool.com

Primary issues you need to consider:
1. Are any desired stations VHF (vs. more common UHF)? VHF requires larger antenna elements like the old rabbit ears.
2. Can you use a directional antenna or do you need an omni-directional one.? Directional gives you more bang per size and buck IF all your desired stations are in one direction.
3. Will an indoor antenna suffice? Depends on height, obstructions and (most important) distance to towers.

In most cases antenna amplifiers are not the answer to poor signal, because they amplify the noise as well as the signal.

and
Old 08-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #17
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I may need a tower, so my main problem is I need a way to find an antenna contractor.
2 Series 2 DT 500GB
UVerse and OTA
Old 08-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #18
marrone
Phased Member

Well I got two antennas, have to return one since it didn't work well.

I can now get most local channels, with the exception of my NBC affiliate. (I really don't care about the OTA shopping channels).

But I also haven't played with directionalizing it much.

-Mike
Old 08-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #19
mr_smits

Quote:
Well I got two antennas, have to return one since it didn't work well.

I can now get most local channels, with the exception of my NBC affiliate. (I really don't care about the OTA shopping channels).
What did you go with?
Old 08-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #20
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I know you have quotes there, but to explain for others, Aereo's own argument is that they have a separate antenna for EACH subscriber, so their argument is that they are not re-transmitting, they are (now my words) renting you an antenna.
Right. And this was affirmed by a recent ruling, that so long as it was the viewer's antenna, whether it was on his roof connected with coax or if the signal was being sent to him via internet, it made NO DIFFERENCE. Aero is on solid legal foundation now. The ruling concludes it is LEGAL. This will never go to the Supreme Court.

This is contrast to haw cable and sat distribute their OTA local channels. They get the signal from the TV studios Master Control or from a single antenna strategically placed, and there is no attempt or means to make the stream PRIVATE, that and the separate laws that govern sat and cable on the terms of accessing and retransmitting of OTA's leave it in the position of paying for retransmission fees, unless a station opts for Must Carry, but any station with any value programming is going to chose to negotiate for retransmission fees.

However, I can see the sat and cable companies having meetings on setting up their own Aero type farms or services and could very well free themselves from the burden of retransmission fees, but that won't be for a while yet.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #21
marrone
Phased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
What did you go with?
I went with ClearStream 2V.

I had a $35 indoor Radio Shack one that was rated very highly also, but considering my distance from the towers, indoor really wasn't much of an option. So that one went back.

This once properly mounted works pretty well. I'm probably 60 miles from the towers. Flat terrain...probably only one building in my way (and it's the apartment complex right behind me).

-Mike
Old 08-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #22
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
This is contrast to haw cable and sat distribute their OTA local channels. They get the signal from the TV studios Master Control or from a single antenna strategically placed, and there is no attempt or means to make the stream PRIVATE,
Though it seems to me that they could argue that since it's essentially one big long wire between you and the antenna, even though the wire forks off a zillion times, the cable company isn't making a copy either.

(Whereas, if it's a show on a hard drive, and each person has an internet stream to the server, clearly the apache process or whatever is doing something SEPARATE for each user.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #23
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I went with ClearStream 2V.

I had a $35 indoor Radio Shack one that was rated very highly also, but considering my distance from the towers, indoor really wasn't much of an option. So that one went back.

This once properly mounted works pretty well. I'm probably 60 miles from the towers. Flat terrain...probably only one building in my way (and it's the apartment complex right behind me).

-Mike
If you are in the Melbourne FL zip code, antennaweb.org says the towers are about 45 miles away, all located about half way between Orlando and Titusville. You would have to be about 15 miles further south for it to be 60 miles. For most of these towers, a "medium directional antenna" (i.e., what you selected) is recommended. But for four of them, including Fox, CW and PBS stations, a "Medium Directional Antenna with Preamp" is recommended. These include 18.1, 45.1 and 24.1 . How do those come in?

and
Old 08-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #24
marrone
Phased Member

Quote:
If you are in the Melbourne FL zip code, antennaweb.org says the towers are about 45 miles away, all located about half way between Orlando and Titusville. You would have to be about 15 miles further south for it to be 60 miles. For most of these towers, a "medium directional antenna" (i.e., what you selected) is recommended. But for four of them, including Fox, CW and PBS stations, a "Medium Directional Antenna with Preamp" is recommended. These include 18.1, 45.1 and 24.1 . How do those come in?
Yeah, it's probably less than 60 miles.

Those channels come in pretty good, even with my antenna facing due west.
It's only NBC (2) that I need to point north-west to get, since it's VHF.
And I'm too lazy to mount it outside...right now it's in a west-facing window. But I think I'll be mounting it pretty soon. I'm just not that handy with tools.

-Mike
Old 08-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #25
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Yeah, it's probably less than 60 miles.

Those channels come in pretty good, even with my antenna facing due west.
It's only NBC (2) that I need to point north-west to get, since it's VHF.
And I'm too lazy to mount it outside...right now it's in a west-facing window. But I think I'll be mounting it pretty soon. I'm just not that handy with tools.

-Mike
Sounds like you've got it under control. As they say in the foundry that makes cast iron toilets: "Forge a head!".

and
Old 08-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #26
marrone
Phased Member

Quote:
Sounds like you've got it under control. As they say in the foundry that makes cast iron toilets: "Forge a head!".
Yeah, pretty much.
Now, onto my next challenge of trying to find soccer games to watch online. NBC Sports extra requires cable/satellite signon. And questionable sites like front line require (or look like they require) additional software, which makes me wary.

-Mike