TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Is Tivo's standby mode useful?
Yes 18 31.58%
No 39 68.42%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 08-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Is Tivo's standby mode useful?

Is Tivo's standby mode useful?

This is not about whether or not you use it, it's whether or not you think it is useful even though you may not necessarily need it yourself.

Last edited by scandia101 : 08-18-2013 at 12:42 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Other TiVo Standby mode poll running concurrently

It may be of interest that scandia101 has started TWO polls on standby, now concurrently.

No surprise to me that this has not been mentioned in this thread.

Here's the other one:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507509
Old 08-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

No it's not. It was back in the old days when it acted similar to the TV/VCR button and passed through the cable signal. But on new TiVos it does nothing more then turn off the lights. I guess maybe if you had one in a bedroom and the lights bothered you it might be useful, but for me it has no use at all.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

But ... as posted numerous times in the other, almost identical, poll thread started by the same forum member:
Standby does prevent EAS messages from interrupting recordings. It's an unintended consequence of standby mode but is significant for many of us who are forced to use Tuning Adapters.

Why we need both of these poll threads is a mystery to me.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Because they ask two different questions?

This isn't rocket surgery.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
But ... as posted numerous times in the other, almost identical, poll thread started by the same forum member:
Standby does prevent EAS messages from interrupting recordings. It's an unintended consequence of standby mode but is significant for many of us who are forced to use Tuning Adapters.

I don't get the simultaneous poll thing either. I think it's out of spite, towards me.

The EAS issue resolution is no accident, nor is it unintended. EAS messages are NOT required to be processed, as long as the device is in a state where there is no A/V output at the time of the EAS activation. If you look at the TiVo logs, it clearly states that it updates the state of the cablecard when going into standby, as well as when coming out of it. That status update lets the card know if it needs to pass the EAS through, or just ignore it.

It's all published in the regs. I recall several links to the FCC documents, as well as links to CableLabs documents, regarding this. I did read them. It was too long ago for me to know what links I could refer you to, so you could see for yourself. Sorry.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

We don't "need" any poll just like your response is not "needed" and this response from me is not "needed"

The questions may be related but are far from "almost identical." Not using it has nothing to do with a person's idea of it's usefulness. Take me for example, I don't use standby at all, does that automatically mean I don't think it's useful? No, it doesn't. I do understand that others find it useful, if for nothing else, the EAS issue.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

I didn't know about the EAS thing. Here's a question... If a TiVo is in Standby mode can you still access it from a Mini or iPad via Stream? If yes does that wake it up?
Old 08-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I didn't know about the EAS thing. Here's a question... If a TiVo is in Standby mode can you still access it from a Mini or iPad via Stream? If yes does that wake it up?
Yes, full access, and most likely slightly faster.

No, it won't wake it up. Only the remote for the unit can wake it.

Even when a software update rolls, my TiVos will update, then return to standby, if that's the mode they were in at the time the update downloaded and then rebooted it at the 2AM automatic boot/update time.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Hmmm... I have a TiVo up stairs that I rarely use directly. I should put it into SB mode to prevent the EAS messages from breaking into my recordings.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Hmmm... I have a TiVo up stairs that I rarely use directly. I should put it into SB mode to prevent the EAS messages from breaking into my recordings.
Yep, that's the #1 reason people who use it, use it. Especially on a TiVo that isn't actively accessed directly in the room it is in (or if you have a TiVo stack and only actively use one).

I guess you may have voted differently if you knew what you know now, before posting this:

Quote:
No it's not. It was back in the old days when it acted similar to the TV/VCR button and passed through the cable signal. But on new TiVos it does nothing more then turn off the lights. I guess maybe if you had one in a bedroom and the lights bothered you it might be useful, but for me it has no use at all.
I'm not trying to beat the subject to death. It's just a fact that many TiVo owners don't know all the facts. You won't find them in the manual, either (TiVo's mistake).

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-18-2013 at 04:35 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
The EAS issue resolution is no accident, nor is it unintended. EAS messages are NOT required to be processed, as long as the device is in a state where there is no A/V output at the time of the EAS activation. If you look at the TiVo logs, it clearly states that it updates the state of the cablecard when going into standby, as well as when coming out of it. That status update lets the card know if it needs to pass the EAS through, or just ignore it.

It's all published in the regs. I recall several links to the FCC documents, as well as links to CableLabs documents, regarding this. I did read them. It was too long ago for me to know what links I could refer you to, so you could see for yourself. Sorry.
I stand corrected. Thanks, and that does make sense too. (If the TiVo is in standby you can't be watching TV so there's no point in having the EAS.)

I was thinking of the unintended consequences of EAS (when not in standby) for some of us that cause a lot of irritation:
1. Get the interruption, but not the EAS message (about 90% of the time for me).
2. Switches the tuner to a random channel (mostly C-SPAN2 for me) or to just a blank screen with no audio.
3. About 25% of the time, after an EAS, I lose some or all SDV channels and have to power-cycle the TA and restart the TiVo to regain them.

and
Old 08-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
We don't "need" any poll just like your response is not "needed" and this response from me is not "needed"

The questions may be related but are far from "almost identical." Not using it has nothing to do with a person's idea of it's usefulness. Take me for example, I don't use standby at all, does that automatically mean I don't think it's useful? No, it doesn't. I do understand that others find it useful, if for nothing else, the EAS issue.
OK, perhaps "need" was a questionable word choice. Let me re-state my point to: I don't see why we would want two such similar polls.

Saying that a person's idea of something's usefulness has nothing to do with whether they use it defies common sense, doesn't it?

and
Old 08-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #14
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
OK, perhaps "need" was a questionable word choice. Let me re-state my point to: I don't see why we would want two such similar polls.
"we" ??? for whom are you speaking? If you have no interest, move on.

Quote:
Saying that a person's idea of something's usefulness has nothing to do with whether they use it defies common sense, doesn't it?
Are you saying that if I think something is useful, I must therefore use it?

Something does not (or at least it shouldn't) have to benefit you for you to acknowledge that it is useful.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #15
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

In the premiere, I am not entirely sure what it does, to be honest. On the Series 1, I knew i could pass through the cable TV signal to a TV. But I didn't use it that way. I used a splitter to split the cable to go to TiVo and TV. Now, I have the cable going to the TiVo Premier and a cable box. If both tuners are in use and I want to see some third thing LIVE, then I just use the cable box. Nothing actually connects to the TV's antenna port.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
atmuscarella

Pretty much everything is "useful" to someone.

Hitler thought it was "useful" to murder millions of Jews and Osama bin Laden thought it was "useful" to blow up the Twin Towers. So by this poles restrictions I would have to say both of those thing were useful??

This whole thing is a fall and a waist of time.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #17
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post

Hitler thought it was "useful" to murder millions of Jews and Osama bin Laden thought it was "useful" to blow up the Twin Towers. So by this poles restrictions I would have to say both of those thing were useful??

You have a few drinks with dinner tonight?
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #18
aaronwt
HD Addict

I voted yes. I think that it is useful strictly because of the EAS. Since when in standby it won't affect the recording. And some areas test the EAS often and during Prime time for some reason. Fortunately I have only run into this two or three times over the years so I don't use standby. And I like saving power but the power savings from putting the TiVo in standby are very low. I guess when the S5 boxes come out they should use even less power so there will be even smaller power savings from using standby. Of course there is nothing wrong with using standby. Some people use it and some don't.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #19
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

Your fail attempt failed. Your pole is also a fail.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #20
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
.......Are you saying that if I think something is useful, I must therefore use it? ....
Nope, never said that. Read again, comprehend ... rinse and repeat.

Actually I had not realized that standby could be used to prevent EAS interrupts until I saw it in one of your (very similar) threads. But I still probably won't use standby because, for personal reasons, it isn't convenient. Thus this is an example of something that is useful, but won't be used. So see I don't disagree with you on that point (just on whether having two poll threads is "useful" ).

and

Last edited by dlfl : 08-18-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:55 PM   #21
atmuscarella

Quote:
Your fail attempt failed. Your pole is also a fail.
Yes I had a typo, but this pole with the outlined restrictions is still worthless.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #22
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Yes I had a typo, but this pole with the outlined restrictions is still worthless.
There is no pole.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #23
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
(just on whether having two poll threads is "useful" ).
You don't need to understand it for it to be useful to someone else.

I'm finding the results and the differences in the results to be very interesting and useful to my understanding of the issue.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #24
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
"we" ??? for whom are you speaking? If you have no interest, move on.
This, coming from the same person who is always telling people what to do, or not to do, while claiming he doesn't do that...
Old 08-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #25
I WANT MORE

There should be a dedicated standby button.
I WANT MORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #26
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
They used to have one, long ago, but they took it away or reassigned it to a different function.

I would like one too. From what I've been reading on here, you can actually do it with one of those programmable remotes, made by Logitech, called Harmony, I believe. I could be wrong, if TiVo made it so that the boxes now don't recognize the code(s) for it.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #27
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I'm finding the results and the differences in the results to be very interesting and useful to my understanding of the issue.
Maybe we should have a poll thread on how many forum members agree with that. Oh .... please don't start that poll -- just kidding! Would that be a "meta" poll? (or pole?).

and
Old 08-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #28
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
There should be a dedicated thread ignore button .... oh wait ... there is!

and
Old 08-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #29
unitron

Quote:
There should be a dedicated thread ignore button .... oh wait ... there is!
How many different polls, worded exactly how, should we have about the thread ignore button and do you use it and is it a good and necessary thing, etc.?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #30
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
How many different polls, worded exactly how, should we have about the thread ignore button and do you use it and is it a good and necessary thing, etc.?
Seriously, that topic is at least as interesting as standby is. I ignore maybe one thread per year, if that many, but I'm curious how much others use it. I would hope we could cover all the ifs ands and buts in no more than 3 poll threads.

Then there's the user ignore button.

scandia101, please understand my comments here are not intended to disrespect or insult you. I just think you went "a poll too far".

and